Start by marking “Fool's Gold (Sam Harris Adventure #1)” as Want to Read:
Fool's Gold (Sam Harris Adventure #1)

Fool's Gold

(Sam Harris #1)

Nobody told her geology could be dangerous.

When a rookie geologist discovers a clue to a lost Inca treasure, her first job gets a lot more thrilling.

Geologist Sam Harris is a woman in a man's world - overlooked and underpaid, but resilient and passionate. Desperate for her first job, she accepts a contract with a dodgy entrepreneur exploring for gold in the remote rainf

Published December 12th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Fool's Gold, please sign up.
P.J. Skinner Hello Ahdom, This adventure is not suitable for children as it deals with adult themes. Sex and violence are present although not graphic in any way…moreHello Ahdom, This adventure is not suitable for children as it deals with adult themes. Sex and violence are present although not graphic in any way but definitely not for children. There is also random swearing. I hope you will enjoy it but please don't read it to children, it is an adult book for grownups only. (less)

Cheryl
This is a 2.5 star read.

I've had to DNF this book. There is nothing wrong with the book and it is well written, but it's just not holding my attention. At 30% there still has not been a murder or a mystery that I can see and the book seems almost biographical as it is based around the author's experience as a geologist working in mining. I think the problem is that it's dry ..... not as dry as a dead dingo's donger .... or a camel's butthole in a sandstorm .... but dry nevertheless. 😕
Jenny Reeve
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is quite an exciting book. It is a little like reading the feminine version of Indiana Jones, the early years! Sam, a newly qualified geologist stumbles by chance into her first job after meeting two men in a bar. They know only too well that a keen junior like Sam would be a walkover, and cheap. But, is she as dumb as they seem to think?

Sam jumps at such a great opportunity to work as a geologist in the jungle, even more exciting is the fact that they will be searching for the lost treasu
Ann Girdharry
This was an enjoyable, light entertainment read. We follow geologist Sam as she treks the South American rainforest in search of hidden treasure.
I thought the descriptions of the rainforest were particularly good and they transport the reader to the real place. I also liked Sam's adventurous spirit. Sometimes the pacing was a bit slow, but I think overall it makes a good mystery adventure.
3.5 stars.
Audrey Gerber
Well written adventure story that gives the desire to travel.
Well-developped characters and interesting themes. Good distraction book to read when in a plane and airport.
Larry Bryan
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Geologist proves herself

A story of a young lady who proves herself in a man's world. Great plot. Good portrayal of good and evil.
Lucretia Ward
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my normal read but a surprising diversion. The characters become more and more interesting. Try this one for an intriguing ride.
K.D.
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Customer Reviews Top customer reviews
K.D. McNiven
5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a fun adventure? Then Fool's Gold written by PJ Skinner ...
May 17, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
Looking for a fun adventure? Then Fool's Gold written by PJ Skinner is the book for you. This story is about the feisty, somewhat rebellious geologist, Sam Harris. Looking to gain more experience in the field she meets up with Mike Morton, who wants to hire her to go along with his project manager to review
anthony lanigan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good adventure book

This book was enjoyable as the characters were well defined and the background research helped the story along.
A clever adventure with believable characters.
Una
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read but it took a long while to get to the treasure hunt, which wasn't very exciting in itself.

I have since read Hitler's Finger and the Star of Simbako.. I'm really enjoying Sam's adventures and am already looking forward to #4 to see where Sam goes next...
Janet
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good
Sue
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
The year is 1987 and Sam Harris is a newly graduated geologist facing a world that still thinks of women unequal to men. She wants to prove that she is a value to society and to her profession, so she takes a job with a less than stellar individual to get credentials on her resume.

Sam has been hired on to examine soil and rocks to determine if there is gold waiting to be found. She is thrust into an adventure within the jungles of Sierramar with a drunk, egotistical, and lecherous lead geologist
Heidi J.
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like "Indian Jones" and "Romancing the Stone," this adventure is definitely for you. Even though the South American place names are made up and it centers on a quest for a lost treasure of the Incas, much of the book feels very, very real, possibly even based on the author's experience. I could too easily see how a passionate, stubborn young woman with something to prove could end up somewhere dangerous with a lot of unsavory characters. I found it semi-panic inducing--more danger than fu ...more
Angela Anderson
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book by the author thru Voracious Readers Only, in return for an honest review. This was an enjoyable adventure with Sam a newly qualified geologist takes her first job exploring for gold in Sierramar, South America. Being employed by a rather unscrupulous character, working with a historian who is constantly drunk, you can imagine the troubles that will occur. When there is gold involved you can guarantee there will be dangers and possible death along the way. The fir ...more
David Webster
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting and Entertaining

Adventure, intrigue, lost treasure, South American jungles, and a thrilling plot! You will love Sam Harris, a young, gritty and determined lady who is off on her first assignment as a field geologist. Lots of action, great characters, and plenty of twists and turns will keep your eyes glued to this book! I LOVED it!!
Cindy Tomamichel
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read, with some enjoyable characters. The setting -1980's geologist job hunting - is spot on, as is the geology. A fun adventure read which takes you into the jungles of South America hunting for a treasure which is not quite what anyone expects.

David Raymond
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent time waster

The author keeps your attention throughout this thriller and draws some interesting characters. I did have some difficulty with Sam the main character where some of her naïveté and tendency to self blame, didn’t quite fit with her adventurous side. Apart from that I did enjoy the read and the twist at the end.
Noelle Brighton
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and engaging, the author takes us on a grand adventure! Sam is a character you can't help but root for and the thrill of the story keeps you turning pages. Skinner's writing style is enjoyable and down to earth. If you like adventure stories, I highly recommend!
Kate
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, fiction
This was ok, it seemed to take forever to actually take off, the characters were for me wanting. I didn’t find myself connecting with the main character at all and was mostly frustrated with her. One thing that really upset me was the authors use of a very outdated and offensive word in referring to a group of people, it just wasn’t necessary (please see comments below for authors comment which was much appreciated and clarifying). Will think about reading another.
Bonny Millard
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure Bonanza

What an intriguing story, of another culture. South America has not been visited by me and since I enjoy reading adventure books with great stories, this is fantastic. I personally could not put it down.
James L Fields
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining

I enjoyed the book. It moved along rapidly and the characters were interesting. Although set in a fictional country, it was well written and kept me reading at a quick pace. I believe this is the beginning of a fun series.
Wayne Kilkenny
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was well researched and easy to read, I quite enjoyed the Spanish connection too. All in all a good read and a strange adventure. I will be reading more from this Author in the future
Anita Myketuk
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it. Not the best literature but a very accurate adventure story. After living 45 years in Costa Rica the jungle part is very accurate. Looking forward to the next one.
Bob Perhach
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Liked the book. It flowed nicely. Didn't need some of the vulgarity, but it didn't hurt the book. Will look into the series of books. Thanks
Chris
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun summer read ! Enjoyed the history and culture of the Indians and how they kept the mystery alive.
Rebekah Weinzetl
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another free on iTunes at work book, but this one was actually surprisingly much better than the last... It was a fun adventure, dealt with some tough stuff (specifically, misogyny and sexual assault) pretty well, and had some pretty decent character development.
Anne Kinslow
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Kinslow.
I enjoyed this book immensely. A great storyline of Treasures to be found and many characters along the way. I didn’t want it to end.
I recommend this book.
Joshua Trout
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it.
Margot Frye
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this complimentary book from Voracious Readers Only. I liked this treasure hunting adventure written with humor. The characters were colorful and entertaining. You just really dislike the bad guy! Set in remote South America, this book would appeal to anyone who enjoys treasure hunting stories or who just wants to be highly entertained!
Anna
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this as a follow on book. More content on the treasure hunt would have been good. Great end to the hunt.
Chris Pridmore
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable and well written read. The book has plenty characters in it, most of whom feel well thought and, well rounded for the role they fulfil within the narrative. There is a good progression of development within all of the lead players, and even some who seem like they might become annoying are surprisingly endearing by the end.

The main plot of the book is well thought out, and the book has clearly been well researched. There are also many subplots to keep the reader engaged between the
New Cover 1 1 Apr 27, 2019 03:50AM
New Cover 1 1 Apr 17, 2019 03:21AM

• Last Secret Chamber (Joey Peruggia #2)
  • The Larmenius Inheritance
  • Destiny's a Witch (Wicked Good Mystery #1)
  • Just For The Birds (Hetta Coffey Mystery #10)
  • Cookies, Corpses and the Deadly Haunt (Haunted House Flippers Inc. #1)
  • Some Like It Witchy (Main Street Witches, #3)
  • The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club
  • Flag Boy (The Tubby Dubonnet Series Book 10)
  • Yesterday's Lost (Yesterday's Mysteries)
  • Aztec Gold (Alicia Myles, #1)
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
  • Bedtimes and Broomsticks (Mystic Cove Mysteries #1)
  • Chicago Blue (Red Riley #1)
  • A Witchy Business (Harper Grant Mystery #1)
  • The Jack Reacher Experiment Books 1-7 (A Reacher Universe Collection)
  • Christmas, a Cat and Cardiac Arrest (Heather's Forge Mystery #1)
  • Witch on Second (Jinx Hamilton Mystery #5)
  • Other People's Skeletons (Rebecca Schwartz, #5)
PJ Skinner is the author of the Sam Harris Series of adventure mystery/thriller novels. A geologist who has spent thirty years roaming the planet and collecting tall tales and real-life experiences, she now writes fact-based novels from the relative safety of London. She still travels world wide collecting material for the series and having her own adventures. The author is working on the fifth bo ...more

Sam Harris (5 books)
  • Hitler's Finger (A Sam Harris Adventure #2)
  • The Star of Simbako (A Sam Harris Adventure #3)
  • Digging Deeper ( A Sam Harris Adventure, #6)
  • The Pink Elephants (A Sam Harris Adventure #4)
“Sam crossed her fingers and hoped that Gloria could be distracted from her hopeless quest of the successful Diego by a successful quest for the hopeless Alfredo.” 0 likes
“Yes, I hope so.  Sam might have discovered the resting place of the lost treasure of the Incas.  Imagine the historical value of a treasure like that,” 0 likes