Start by marking “When the Earl was Wicked (Forever Yours, #5)” as Want to Read:
When the Earl was Wicked (Forever Yours, #5)

When the Earl was Wicked

(Forever Yours #5)

Lady Verity Ayles will do whatever it takes to protect herself from a vile cur, no matter how scandalous or perilous it may be. And that means aligning with James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly—a scoundrel who spends his days in sin and self-indulgence, and his nights in reckless pursuits. Clearly, a man any young lady of good sense and reputation should stay away from. ...more
Published March 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about When the Earl was Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Earl was Wicked

Start your review of When the Earl was Wicked (Forever Yours, #5)
✨ Gramy ✨

When the Earl was Wicked is the fifth installment in the Forever Yours Book that was written by Stacy Reid. This tale focuses on Lady Verity Ayles, who desperately needs a way to protect herself since she is still fearful of a traumatic incident from years earlier. She appears on the doorstep of James Radcliffe, Earl of Maschelly, to request his assistance in learning how to fight defensively. James happens to be a man with a wicked reputation, which leads her to offer to teach him to become
Somia
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly is the main reason for the 4 stars - one book hero I would love to step out of the pages.

Lady Verity Ayles, tired of the fear that keeps her isolated and unable to truly live, secretly requests the help of the scandalous James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly - she wants him to teach her how to fight, how to defend herself. A request that leads them both onto an unexpected path.

Overall, a lovely and sweet short read, I do wish we had gotten an epilogue whe
BJ
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
I fell in love with this couple and their story. She's petite, and has been hurt by evil OM, and her family has not protected her as they ought. She asks the H to teach her the skills she needs to make sure she isn't at risk again. He's wonderful, a quiet man who admires the h at first, then falls in love with her. It was a sweet story, that deserved an epilogue where he returns to his home and introduces her to those who raised him. That would have made it 5 stars.
Elodie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How I do love Mrs Stacy Reid’s work, she has such a talent to being unconventional persons together.
And this new piece of work matches it.
Lady Verity Ayles has had enough of hiding and having nightmares, after five years trying to nurse her wounds, it is time she takes her life in hands and finds a way to face London ton without fear.
But for this, she must request the help of the most inappropriate man among the peer, The Earl of Maschelly.
When James Radcliffe received the visit of a masked an
Aila
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
On the shorter side, but still 100% lovely!

Here are some things to expect when you pick this HR up:
- Bargain between a heroine who wants to learn self-defense and a hero who needs better etiquette to find a wife.
- Unlikely friendship --> something more forming.
- Hella women empowerment!! Love the freeing scene in the end.

Coco.V
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/10/2019)! 🎁
Jeffrey
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Verity Ayles was sexually assaulted by the son of a duke and is suffering with what is now known as "PTSD." She seeks to make a clandestine deal with James Radcliffe, the Earl of Machelly, who is a huge and frightening man. It seems the earl was abandoned by his noble father and has had to scramble and literally fight his way to respectability. The deal? Lady Verity wants the earl to teach her how to fight dirty to protect herself from another attack and she agrees to teach the fierce James ...more
Elaine
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Lady Verity overcomes! A frail Lady turns into a fighter. Quick and easy to read - also very pleasurable and satisfying to read. 5☆
Lucina

I really liked the story and characters, especially James was amazing. The story was just a tad too short. Sadly I found some spelling errors, more than in other books.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the characters of Verity and James. Both had traumatic experiences in their past to overcome and I enjoyed the way they helped each other. The memories that Verity needed to dismiss, were ones that were deep rooted and not easily forgotten. James had found a way to work through his past. I enjoyed their connection and it was satisfying to see the villain get his comeuppance. I would have liked an epilogue though. This was a very entertaining read. I received a copy and have voluntarily r ...more
Janet
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Verity Ayles will do whatever it takes to protect herself from a vile cur who attacked her, no matter how scandalous or perilous it may be. And that means aligning with James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly—a scoundrel who spends his days in sin and self-indulgence, and his nights in reckless pursuits. Clearly, a man any young lady of good sense and reputation should stay away from.
James had clawed his way from poverty to the fringes of the ton using his wits and fists. His wicked reputat
romancejunkie
The story centers when our heroine makes a deal that she will help the hero learn to woo ladies if in turn he helps her learn to fight so she can defend herself and feel safe again.
The heroine has suffered a terrible event in the past, and feels that she can only feel safe if she has learned to fight,
it was very emotional and beautiful to see how she grows from the moment she realizes that nothing of what happened in the past was her fault, and learned to like herself.
I also want to say tha
Amanda Richardson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love Stacy Reid's books. I am never disappointed in anything she writes. Her characters are well-flushed out, steamy love scenes and emotional plots.
Verity needs help and she seeks help from an unlikely source, James the Earl of Maschelly. She wants to learn how to fight, to protect herself from someone awful. This is somewhat a Pygmalion story in reverse - James will help Verity learn self defense and she will help him learn how to behave and be accepted in the ton.
Ooh, sparks fly
Deb Diem
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When The Earl Was Wicked is a phenomenal historical romance by Stacy Reid. Ms. Reid has penned a well-written book complete with a stellar cast of characters. Verity had been attacked by someone she trusted. She now asks James, the Earl of Radcliffe, to teach her to fight so she can defend herself. James and Verity's story is loaded with drama, humor, spice, action and suspense. I loved reading this book and look forward to reading more from Stacy Reid in the future. When The Earl Was Wicked is ...more
Nicole
Thick lips and forest green eyes, oh my!

Longer review forthcoming.

Lovely read, endearing characters, wonderful HEA, perfect retribution.

WHEN THE EARL WAS WICKED is a great addition to the FOREVER YOURS series.
Jazzysmum
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
The fifth book in the Forever Yours series. I have read 1 and 2 -The Marquess and I and the Duke and I
- and this was by far the best read so far for me.

I loved the H and h - often the heroine annoys me but Verity didn't.
I would have loved 2 things for Verity to punch her arse brother and an epilogue, as I felt there was more to tell.
Mary Gallo
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a keeper

I will keep this book to read the last 1/3 over and over. The ending could have used an epilogue, but all in all, a pleasurable story.
Monique
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tired of living in fear, Lady Verity Ayles does the unthinkable: she reaches out to the notorious Earl of Maschelly, whose reputation precedes him. The Earl, James Radcliffe, amassed his fortune and rescued the earldom by winning underground boxing matches. He is a known rake, and has not particularly endeared himself to the ton, mostly because of his coarse manners. Verity can provide him the refinement he sorely lacks if he teaches her how to defend herself.

Variations on Pygmalion are always w
Lana Birky
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story & rooted for a happy ending James & Verity from the beginning! Ms. Reid has such magic in her writing style & her characters are all so lovable, kind & honorable. This was a straight forward story with no foolish drama but was full of some spice, frank emotions & genuine affections. I highly recommend this book & the whole series to historical romance readers. ...more
Jamie Jack
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: p-2019, regency
As I read the beginning of this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the hero (which I think is essential for romance readers). He is aloof and cold to start, not unlike many Regency or Victorian heroes. He bare-knuckle fights in the seedier part of London, even though he is an earl.

The heroine comes to him with an interesting proposal, and not the type a proposal he is used to getting as a man with a reputation for debauchery. Lady Verity was sexually assaulted some years ago by a marques
Sandra Aaron
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good Regency romance, but it just wasn't realistic for the time period. Because of that, it gets 3.5 stars from me, rounded up to 4 stars.

No gently-bred woman of that time period would have done what Verity did. She knew how badly society treated women whose reputation had been ruined, so I found it difficult to believe she would have chosen to ask James to teach her to fight. She had good reason, but I still don't believe she would have done it. I suspect that most sexual assault vict
Kristel Villar
It's another case of "It's not you; it's me." I want to love this book so bad because James and Verity are very likeable characters, but I think I read it on a wrong mood. I am also not a fan of friends-to-lovers trope, but I seem to like it in James and Verity's love story.

A victim of sexual abuse, Verity enlists the help of James to teach her how to fight. Her mother and brother refused to acknowledge what happened to her because her abuser is a man of power and they did not want to lose the c
LOU71
When the Earl was Wicked is the fifth novella in the Forever Yours bundle series. This is a well-paced historical romance that has a refreshingly courageous story that comes alive with an attraction between Hero and Heroine to make your heartstrings clench in delight. A great balance of sweet, steamy, and strength.

The Marquess and I: 5 stars

Lady Verity Ayles will do whatever
D Call
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Regency romance

Rating: R for sex and language
Sex: 1 detailed scene
Profanity: some, 1-2 F words, a lot of taking the Lord's name in vain
Violence: attempted physical abuse, fist fights, referenced attempted rape
HEA: yes

Verity wants to learn to fight so that she's ready to defend herself. A man she thought was courting her attempted raping her, and she hasn't felt safety or peace in 5 years. Her brother didn't defend her honor , and both her brother and her mother believe she brought it
vaneeta naik
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow !!!! A most delightful read .... Stacy is sure talented ...she has come up with a Regency Romance story which is a bit different from the usual stereotype historical Romance ..."When the Earl was Wicked " is book 5 in the Forever Yours series & Can be read and enjoyed as stand-alone, I have read one more book in the Forever yours Series & would now like to read the entire series as it looks promising...

The story is about Lady Verity who was nearly raped five years ago by a Marquess (her brot
Lenna  Wright-Berry
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I disliked her brother and mother right from the start. Her brother is well you’ll see later in my review. Verity is strong in her own right even after her past she wants to fight for her freedom and for peace. James other then the married lady in the second chapter that he ‘forgot about’ when he laid eyes on his strange woman of a visitor, he stayed true to his promises and kept himself in check when temptation of Verity was getting to him, he was a gentleman through and through.

This story wen
Space Cowgirl
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Victim of Love💘

Verity💃💔, the daughter of an Earl, was severely molested by a Marquess she thought was courting her. She never got over the incident, partly because her family refused to do anything about it. Turned out he was married, too!

With nightmares and severe nausea whenever she saw the man in society, Verity💃💔 withdrew and stayed in the country for four years.

She has made up her mind to never let herself be taken advantage of again. She wants to learn to defend herself. She wants to learn
Melanie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this 'Happily Ever After'! Lady Verity Ayles suffers from nightmares that stem from an incident that happened 4-5 years ago. Her brother and mother are more concerned about their appearances/standing in society than they do about true family honor and loyalty.

Earl of Maschelly, James Radcliffe, has had a rough life. He has seen and lived through his own share of injustice, lack of compassion, and fights. He has earned the title 'bare-knuckle king' in the private clubs circle an
MIPat
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Verity needs to learn to protect herself after her brother's friend attempted to assault her several years ago and her family didn't believe her. In fact, her mother and brother seem to deepen their relationship with her attacker. Verity has returned to London for the Season and is tired of feeling weak and helpless when she encounters this man.

James, the Earl of Maschelly, has a wicked reputation in Society but Society also murmurs about his fighting ability. James was raised as a pauper on a t
Alec
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book really took me by surprise. Historical romance isn't really a genre I normally gravitate towards or end up liking whenever I read it. However, I enjoyed this book from the very first chapter until the end.
Originally I was intrigued by the fact that the protagonist in this book wants to learn how to fight, and why there was only one fighting lesson on page, I still loved that aspect of the story. The reason she wants to learn how to fight is because she had been sexually assaulted a cou
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Duke of Debauchery (Sins and Scoundrels #5)
  • To Vex a Viscount (Lords of London #4)
  • Lady Wallflower (Notorious Ladies of London, #2)
  • The Awakening of Lord Ambrose (The Lost Lords #6)
  • To Dare a Duchess (Lords of London Book 5)
  • Her Virtuous Viscount (Wicked Husbands, #6)
  • Prince of Persuasion (Sins and Scoundrels #2)
  • Her Missing Marquess (Wicked Husbands Book 5)
  • A Marquess for Marigold (The Blooming Brides, #2)
  • Wild in Winter (The Wicked Winters #6)
  • Lady Ruthless (Notorious Ladies of London, #1)
  • Dare To Be Scandalous (League of Unweddable Gentlemen, #3)
  • Marquess of Mayhem (Sins & Scoundrels #3)
  • The Lady's Dangerous Love (The Langley Sisters #6)
  • The Love of a Libertine (The Duke's Bastards, #1)
  • Only a Duke Would Dare  (Seductive Scoundrels, #2)
  • Winning Lady Jane (Ladies Of Bath, #0.5)
  • Heartless Duke (League of Dukes #2)
I am an unapologetic romance lover. I read it. I write it. Enough said. Well..I also have a warrior way "Never give up on my dreams." I spend a copious amount of time drooling over Rick Grimes from Walking Dead, watching Japanese anime and playing video games with my love, Dusean.

Forever Yours (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Marquess and I (Forever Yours, #1)
  • The Duke and I (Forever Yours, #2)
  • The Viscount and I (Forever Yours, #3)
  • Misadventures with the Duke (Forever Yours, #4)
  • A Prince of My Own (Forever Yours, #6)
  • Sophia and the Duke (Forever Yours, #7)
  • Sins of Viscount Worsley (Forever Yours, #8)
  • An Unconventional Affair (Forever Yours, #9)
  • Mischief and Mistletoe (Forever Yours, #10)
  • A Rogue in the Making (Forever Yours, #11)

News & Interviews