Start by marking “When the Earl was Wicked (Forever Yours #5)” as Want to Read:
When the Earl was Wicked (Forever Yours #5)

When the Earl was Wicked

(Forever Yours #5)

Lady Verity Ayles will do whatever it takes to protect herself from a vile cur, no matter how scandalous or perilous it may be. And that means aligning with James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly—a scoundrel who spends his days in sin and self-indulgence, and his nights in reckless pursuits. Clearly, a man any young lady of good sense and reputation should stay away from. ...more
Published March 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about When the Earl was Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Earl was Wicked

Elodie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How I do love Mrs Stacy Reid’s work, she has such a talent to being unconventional persons together.
And this new piece of work matches it.
Lady Verity Ayles has had enough of hiding and having nightmares, after five years trying to nurse her wounds, it is time she takes her life in hands and finds a way to face London ton without fear.
But for this, she must request the help of the most inappropriate man among the peer, The Earl of Maschelly.
When James Radcliffe received the visit of a masked an
Aila
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
On the shorter side, but still 100% lovely!

Here are some things to expect when you pick this HR up:
- Bargain between a heroine who wants to learn self-defense and a hero who needs better etiquette to find a wife.
- Unlikely friendship --> something more forming.
- Hella women empowerment!! Love the freeing scene in the end.

Coco.V
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/10/2019)! 🎁
Lucina

I really liked the story and characters, especially James was amazing. The story was just a tad too short. Sadly I found some spelling errors, more than in other books.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the characters of Verity and James. Both had traumatic experiences in their past to overcome and I enjoyed the way they helped each other. The memories that Verity needed to dismiss, were ones that were deep rooted and not easily forgotten. James had found a way to work through his past. I enjoyed their connection and it was satisfying to see the villain get his comeuppance. I would have liked an epilogue though. This was a very entertaining read. I received a copy and have voluntarily r ...more
Monique
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tired of living in fear, Lady Verity Ayles does the unthinkable: she reaches out to the notorious Earl of Maschelly, whose reputation preceeds him. The Earl, James Radcliffe, amassed his fortune and rescued the earldom by winning underground boxing matches. He is a known rake, and has not particularly endeared himself to the ton, mostly because of his coarse manners. Verity can provide him the refinement he sorely lacks if he teaches her how to defend herself.

Variations on Pygmalion are always w
Janet
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Verity Ayles will do whatever it takes to protect herself from a vile cur who attacked her, no matter how scandalous or perilous it may be. And that means aligning with James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly—a scoundrel who spends his days in sin and self-indulgence, and his nights in reckless pursuits. Clearly, a man any young lady of good sense and reputation should stay away from.
James had clawed his way from poverty to the fringes of the ton using his wits and fists. His wicked reputat
romancejunkie
The story centers when our heroine makes a deal that she will help the hero learn to woo ladies if in turn he helps her learn to fight so she can defend herself and feel safe again.
The heroine has suffered a terrible event in the past, and feels that she can only feel safe if she has learned to fight,
it was very emotional and beautiful to see how she grows from the moment she realizes that nothing of what happened in the past was her fault, and learned to like herself.
I also want to say tha
Amanda Richardson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love Stacy Reid's books. I am never disappointed in anything she writes. Her characters are well-flushed out, steamy love scenes and emotional plots.
Verity needs help and she seeks help from an unlikely source, James the Earl of Maschelly. She wants to learn how to fight, to protect herself from someone awful. This is somewhat a Pygmalion story in reverse - James will help Verity learn self defense and she will help him learn how to behave and be accepted in the ton.
Ooh, sparks fly
Nicole
Thick lips and forest green eyes, oh my!

Longer review forthcoming.

Lovely read, endearing characters, wonderful HEA, perfect retribution.

WHEN THE EARL WAS WICKED is a great addition to the FOREVER YOURS series.
Mary Gallo
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a keeper

I will keep this book to read the last 1/3 over and over. The ending could have used an epilogue, but all in all, a pleasurable story.
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, regency
As I read the beginning of this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the hero (which I think is essential for romance readers). He is aloof and cold to start, not unlike many Regency or Victorian heroes. He bare-knuckle fights in the seedier part of London, even though he is an earl.

The heroine comes to him with an interesting proposal, and not the type a proposal he is used to getting as a man with a reputation for debauchery. Lady Verity was sexually assaulted some years ago by a marques
Niki
Since being attacked by her brother’s powerful friend several years ago, Lady Verity Ayles has never really felt safe. She’s finally back in London for the season and determined not to feel helpless and afraid anymore. In order to achieve this goal, she enlists the help of Lord James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly, a scandalous man known to spend time prizefighting. She should have the good sense to stay away from him and not risk ruin, but ridding herself of her nightmares is more important.
J
LOU71
When the Earl was Wicked is the fifth novella in the Forever Yours bundle series. This is a well-paced historical romance that has a refreshingly courageous story that comes alive with an attraction between Hero and Heroine to make your heartstrings clench in delight. A great balance of sweet, steamy, and strength.

The Marquess and I: 5 stars

Lady Verity Ayles will do whatever
Diane Call
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Regency romance

Rating: R for sex and language
Sex: 1 detailed scene
Profanity: some, 1-2 F words, a lot of taking the Lord's name in vain
Violence: attempted physical abuse, fist fights, referenced attempted rape
HEA: yes

Verity wants to learn to fight so that she's ready to defend herself. A man she thought was courting her attempted raping her, and she hasn't felt safety or peace in 5 years. Her brother didn't defend her honor , and both her brother and her mother believe she brought it
Space Cowgirl
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Victim of Love💘

Verity💃💔, the daughter of an Earl, was severely molested by a Marquess she thought was courting her. She never got over the incident, partly because her family refused to do anything about it. Turned out he was married, too!

With nightmares and severe nausea whenever she saw the man in society, Verity💃💔 withdrew and stayed in the country for four years.

She has made up her mind to never let herself be taken advantage of again. She wants to learn to defend herself. She wants to learn
vaneeta naik
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow !!!! A most delightful read .... Stacy is sure talented ...she has come up with a Regency Romance story which is a bit different from the usual stereotype historical Romance ..."When the Earl was Wicked " is book 5 in the Forever Yours series & Can be read and enjoyed as stand-alone, I have read one more book in the Forever yours Series & would now like to read the entire series as it looks promising...

The story is about Lady Verity who was nearly raped five years ago by a Marquess (
Lenna  Wright-Berry
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I disliked her brother and mother right from the start. Her brother is well you’ll see later in my review. Verity is strong in her own right even after her past she wants to fight for her freedom and for peace. James other then the married lady in the second chapter that he ‘forgot about’ when he laid eyes on his strange woman of a visitor, he stayed true to his promises and kept himself in check when temptation of Verity was getting to him, he was a gentleman through and through.

This story wen
Melanie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this 'Happily Ever After'! Lady Verity Ayles suffers from nightmares that stem from an incident that happened 4-5 years ago. Her brother and mother are more concerned about their appearances/standing in society than they do about true family honor and loyalty.

Earl of Maschelly, James Radcliffe, has had a rough life. He has seen and lived through his own share of injustice, lack of compassion, and fights. He has earned the title 'bare-knuckle king' in the private clubs circle an
MIPat
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Verity needs to learn to protect herself after her brother's friend attempted to assault her several years ago and her family didn't believe her. In fact, her mother and brother seem to deepen their relationship with her attacker. Verity has returned to London for the Season and is tired of feeling weak and helpless when she encounters this man.

James, the Earl of Maschelly, has a wicked reputation in Society but Society also murmurs about his fighting ability. James was raised as a pauper on a t
Alec Caveira
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book really took me by surprise. Historical romance isn't really a genre I normally gravitate towards or end up liking whenever I read it. However, I enjoyed this book from the very first chapter until the end.
Originally I was intrigued by the fact that the protagonist in this book wants to learn how to fight, and why there was only one fighting lesson on page, I still loved that aspect of the story. The reason she wants to learn how to fight is because she had been sexually assaulted a cou
Carole Burant
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me, it's always a treat to read a book written by Stacy Reid, she has fast become a favourite author and buying her books is an automatic thing! This story is another that spoke to my heart. Lady Verity Ayles was almost raped 5 years past and has lived with the nightmares, the fear, and terror ever since. Even though she told her brother and mother what had happened, they turned a blind eye and remained friends with the perpetrator. She finally decides enough is enough and goes to see James ...more
Beverly McCall
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With the Earl was Wicked by Stacy Reid, we find ourselves in London in 1840. In the midst of high society, we discover that life, among the rich and elite, is not such a fairy tale. Indeed, there is a darker side. Our story opens up by introducing us to Lady Verity Ayles, a young woman realizes that she must learn how to protect herself from the pariah of the ton, the Marquess Durham. Durham is renown as a man who forces himself on young women. The social settings of the ton allows him to find h ...more
Roslyn Stillman
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by Ms Reid and I loved it just as much as the first I read. The first one was very romantic and so is this one. Although there is some violence in it, there was a good foundation for it and was very well written. Both the hero and heroine had suffered a lot pain in the past and the way Ms Reid had them expressing their pain shows she has a deep understanding of emotion and is excellent at putting it to paper. I was surprised by the story after looking at the title, it giv ...more
Debbie Glenn Brown
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Verity Ayles was abused and almost raped five years ago and she’ll do whatever it takes to protect herself. She seeks out the famous underground king of the boxing ring James Radcliffe, the Earl of Maschelly a scoundrel who spends his days in sin and self-indulgence. James is not quite what he seems up front, he has a heart for the underdog, he can’t stand to see anyone abused and not do something. They strike a bargain he’ll teach her to fight and she’ll teach him courtly manners so he can ...more
Viper Spaulding
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a tender, sweet - yet steamy - romance!

Oh, my heart was breaking for Verity as she explained to James what had happened to her and why she was seeking his help. Such a strong, determined young lady! James is the perfect embodiment of a scoundrel by society's standards, yet a virtuous man of honor to anyone with a heart. These two find within themselves the strength to break free from the pretentious social mores, and then find with each other their vision of the future.

This author truly has
Peggy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
To help her overcome the fear left with her after a traumatic incident five years ago, Verity Ayles enlists the help of James Radcliffe, Earl of Maschelly, a man with a wicked reputation. She offers in return for lessons in how to fight to protect herself to help him learn to be a proper gentleman. They reach an agreement and the lessons begin.

I really liked James and Verity and their story. They may seem mismatched at first, but they have some very important things in common. Both suffer from a
Judy Munoz
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Historical romance is probably my favourite genre and I read so many books in this genre that it is sometimes hard to impress me. But I have to say - I am impressed! This book is fantastic - an exceptional historical romance. The story starts off with a bang and I was hooked! The plot was unique and inventive - a bit on the dark side - but in a good way, with plenty of drama and suspense and just a touch of violence to add to the excitement. The author captured the era perfectly and stayed true ...more
Amy Alvis
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Verity and James story!!

Never wanting to allow a man to physically hurt her again because she doesn't know how to fight back, Verity seeks out James. Having made part of his money by bare knuckle brawling, he is the perfect person to help her out. In exchange, she will teach him how to act while out in society so that he can get the society wife he has been looking for. Neither counted on the attraction they felt for the other. Can this unlikely duo find their HEA together?

I loved both V
Joanne
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Sweet Love Story

The plot is short and simple but sweet. A light and entertaining read.

The heroine was almost raped and wants to get over the trauma by learning to defend herself and fight. So she went to the hero to ask for lessons. The hero had difficult childhood and had to fight his way in life. I like that despite that, he is not overly brooding and tortured. He even has a sense of humor. In the course of the lessons they build connection and an attraction and eventually fall in love. It
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I am an unapologetic romance lover. I read it. I write it. Enough said. Well..I also have a warrior way "Never give up on my dreams." I spend a copious amount of time drooling over Rick Grimes from Walking Dead, watching Japanese anime and playing video games with my love, Dusean.

Forever Yours (8 books)
  • The Marquess and I (Forever Yours, #1)
  • The Duke and I (Forever Yours, #2)
  • The Viscount and I (Forever Yours #3)
  • Misadventures with the Duke (Forever Yours, #4)
  • A Prince of My Own (Forever Yours #6)
  • Sophia and the Duke (Forever Yours Book 7)
  • The Sins of Viscount Worsley (Forever Yours, #8)
“ahead to confront you like a madman!” 0 likes