Start by marking “Sea Babies” as Want to Read:
Sea Babies

Sea Babies

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  16 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In September 2016, Lauren Wilson is travelling by ferry to the Outer Hebrides, about to begin a new job as a children’s social worker. She's also struggling to come to terms with the recent drowning of a Sheena, a teenage girl she had deeply cared for.
Published February 21st 2019 by Wild Pressed Books

To ask other readers questions about Sea Babies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Babies

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Sea Babies
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
This is my first read by this author and I really liked it.

Lauren is trying to move on from a tragedy. Nothing seems to go to plan for her.

This isn’t one of those books I jumped right into and read quickly. I actually found myself taking breaks while reading it. I found it slow to start with but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Susan Angela Wallace
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The sea babies by Tracey Scott-Townsend.
Engrossed in her book, when somebody sits opposite her at a table on the ferry, Lauren refuses to look up, annoyed at having her privacy disturbed.But a hand is pushing a mug of tea across the table, and a
Sharon
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good book. Kept me enthralled. First book I have read by this author and will definitely read more.
Rachel Bridgeman
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february-2019
‘Does the world have to suffer utter devastation beofre things can get better?’ Did we?

This was a really hard book to review-most people who know me would never describe me as being lost for words, but with ‘Seababies’, suddenly, I am .

The seababies relate to the story told to Lauren as a child. by her Granny, the Eleanor Farjeon tale of a Changeling baby being washed up by a storm and then retrieved by her mother . But more than this, it relates to Lauren and her journeys from the mainland of
Sascha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars

I've sat on this book, Sea Babies by Tracey Scott-Townsend, for a week now (not literally) trying to give a little distance to how this book made me feel. The reason for this is because of the twisty ending, which made the novel better. But was that good enough for annoying me for all of the previous chapters?

Sea Babiesis a character-driven novel focused on Lauren Wilson, who is, as the novel opens, a social worker who helps children. The first half of the novel bounces through
Pam Fox
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this novel and it's a genre I'm not used to reading but I really enjoyed it. I'll not be able to say as much as I'd like to say as that would give away spoilers and I don't like to do that.
So why did I like this book when I'm normally much happier in something gorier. Well first of all its beautifully written, be it the streets of Edinburgh or the wilds of the Hebridean Islands, the words evoke a clear picture in my minds eye.
Secondly, the characters are just everyday
Monica Mac
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book!! So hard to categorise...but I enjoyed it very much.

Lauren has one of the toughest jobs around - dealing with teenagers who have been through the mill. She has also been through some very tough times and so heading off to the Outer Hebrides is a fresh start for her as well. She runs into Neil on the ferry, the man who changed her life in so many ways, but is she ready to face him?

When I first started this book, I felt it was a little bit slow but then it got going and it packed
Isabelle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
First book I have read by this author.
Some lovely characterisation here, although the opening image of hands meeting was repeated as a metaphor too many times for me!
The story of love becoming possible again later in life after something as horrendous as losing a child, will bring hope to readers.
Some of the speech felt clunky at times but at the end it blew me away. The twist!! I can't give it away but it's a good one.
Beccy Thompson
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers- Thank you
An absolutely beautiful book, the author captures your attention to the story with the minimum of fuss. Honestly I cannot begin to describe the emotions that Tracey manages to evoke throughout this novel.
It is a beautiful story that will stay with you long after the final page has been read.
Penny-sue Wolfe
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this book is good! Atmospherically set in the Outer Hebrides in the 80s; I left school in the early 80s so was easy for me to relate to. This book ensnares you and drags you in! Unputdownable and utterally enthralling. Brilliant!
Priya
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A book that started off slowly but then pulled me into it with Lauren's story and the slow revelation of her past and it's impact on what her future would be.
I enjoyed the story.
Tracey Jordan
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beautifully written with a lot of thought and detail. But there was a lot of skipping from different time periods which wasn’t always smooth and unfortunately I found the bulk of the book quite difficult to wade through. Such a shame as I loved the plot and the fantastic twist at the end.
Karen's World
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a twist! Very well written and enjoyable to read.
Tracey
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My last #BookReview of 2018. And boy it's a belter from the local #indiepublisher @Wildpressed ... Once again @authortrace had me gripped with this wonderfully written book.

This is the second book I have read of Tracey's and I'm a massive fan.

Sea Babies is a psychologist drama set mainly in the Outer Hebrides and Edinburgh from the 1980s to the present. As a teenager in the 80s this book isn't too " historical" for me so had me completely ensnared in every turn of each page.

I love the characters
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderfully written book by Tracey Scott-Townsend. I have read all of Tracey's books and this one is equally as beautiful - I just couldn't put it down - stayed up half the night reading it!

It is the story of Lauren, a children's social worker, who moves away after a tragedy to begin a new job on the Outer Hebrides. But the course of her new life is not to run smoothly.......

My copy of this book was kindly provided by the author.

I really do highly recommend Tracey Scott-Townsends
Carole
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a novel of all consuming love, an action that causes irreparable damage and overwhelming loss.
The story has you thinking you know what is happening only to then discover you were totally wrong.
Beautifully written, engrossing and unexpected.
Thank you to TBC reviewer group for my copy of this novel
Kristen
Bev
Oct 12, 2019

• Rosie’s Travelling Tea Shop
  • Where the Dead Walk
  • Crow's Cottage (Where the Dead Walk #2)
  • The Things I Know
  • Trouble in Paradise
  • The Big Five O
  • You Die Next (Starke & Bell, #2)
  • She Saw What He Did
  • Dead of Winter (Alexa Williams #4)
  • An Impossible Thing Called Love: A heartwarming romance you don't want to miss!
  • Retriever of Souls (D.I. Sterling Book 1)
  • Hurry up Nurse 2: London Calling
  • Children in Chains (D.I. Paolo Sterling Book 2)
  • The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly
  • Thicker Than Water (The Village, #1)
  • A Fool's Circle
  • The Suspects
  • Reen (The Sisters' Secrets #2)
SEA BABIES e-book 21st February 2019, paperback 1st May 2019. Tracey is the author of four previous novels, The Last Time We Saw Marion, (2014) Of His Bones (stand-alone sequel to The Last Time We Saw Marion, 2017) The Eliza Doll (2016) and Another Rebecca: originally published by Inspired Quill in 2015 but re-released in September 2018 by Wild Pressed Books. Tracey’s novels have been described as ...more