Start by marking “Born in the Bed You Were Made: One Family's Journey from Cesarean to Home Birth” as Want to Read:
Born in the Bed You Were Made: One Family's Journey from Cesarean to Home Birth

Born in the Bed You Were Made: One Family's Journey from Cesarean to Home Birth

What the hell happened?

Not exactly the question one might expect from a postpartum nurse, it echoed in my mind incessantly after birth. Induction, intervention, ultimately cesarean were nothing new to me…until I was the one atop an operating room table birthing my firstborn through an incision in my uterus.

Brooklyn James grapples with her medicalized birth as she undergoes
Kindle Edition, 1, 255 pages
Published December 13th 2018 by Arena Books

To ask other readers questions about Born in the Bed You Were Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born in the Bed You Were Made

Lynn Worton
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! I am not one who usually reads non-fiction or even memoirs, but having read previous fictional books written by this author, I knew that this book, being more personal, would be an emotional roller coaster ride. It didn't disappoint.

The author explores her emotions and thoughts over several events that shaped her ultimate decision of having a home birth. As I am not American, I don't know how the medical insurance companies work as such, but I believe that women have the
Randi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An empowering and refreshingly honest look at modern day birthing process - particularly focused on empowering women to follow their own paths and listen to their guts when it comes to writing their birthing story. Can you predict every outcome and control every setting? No. But following your gut and speaking up for yourself can go a long way toward finding a birth story that works for you. This memoir isn’t always pretty, but it’s great for considering how you want the birth process to go. An ...more
Trish Hills
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a BEAUTIFUL book! It's informative, emotional and inspirational. It's very family oriented and I adore the relationship Brooklyn has with her daughter Mila and the way they talk about pregnancy, labour and the new baby.

You don't need to be expecting or a Mum to enjoy this book. It would be very useful if you were thinking of havint a home birth but it's also great to read and just enjoy.

Brooklyn's writing style is gorgeous, so easy. I highly recommend this book!
Kayo
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not that interesting. Not impressed by any means.

Thanks to Goodreads Kindle giveaway. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating gave it.
Donna Block
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading "Born In The Bed You Were Made" brought out a lot of emotions. Good memories and ones not so. Brooklyn James is a gifted writer - her words elicit the most primal of feelings towards birthing, many that I tucked away years ago. It isn't easy reading this memoir, but it will certainly open up conversations, such as the one I had with my own daughter, as we reflected on our birthing experiences.
Anna
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: birth, giveaway
**I received a copy of this book from the Goodreads giveaways program.** 2 stars because I always appreciate a story of women reckoning with their experiences with childbirth, but the writing is not very good. Excessive use of quotes from famous figures and poor science writing overall. Maybe this would appeal more to parents or people who want to have children.
Christina
Feb 02, 2019
Hannah Middlebrooke
Jan 25, 2019
Amber Machado
Jan 13, 2019
Brooklyn James
Dec 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Micielle
Samuel Khan
Kathy Heare Watts
Debbie Icebergsewell
Dec 06, 2018
Brooklyn James is an author/singer-songwriter inspired by life in the Live Music Capital of Austin, Texas. Her first novel, The Boots My Mother Gave Me, has an original music soundtrack and was chosen as a Quarter Finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards. The book provided a platform where it was her honor to serve as a guest speaker with a focus on awareness and prevention of domestic vio ...more