Start by marking “The First Girl Child” as Want to Read:
The First Girl Child

The First Girl Child

(The Chronicles of Saylok)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  15,668 ratings  ·  2,078 reviews
From ​the New York Times bestselling author comes a breathtaking fantasy of a cursed kingdom, warring clans, and unexpected salvation.

Bayr of Saylok, bastard son of a powerful and jealous chieftain, is haunted by the curse once leveled by his dying mother. Bartered, abandoned, and rarely loved, she plagued the land with her words: From this day forward, there will be no da
Audio CD, Unabridged, 391 pages
Published August 20th 2019 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The First Girl Child, please sign up.
Saucy Red Adult would be the target with a few older mature teens may like it as well.
Myste I am quite sensitive to graphic sexual scenes, but nothing in this book bothered me. There is some kissing but the way it's portrayed is quite innocen…moreI am quite sensitive to graphic sexual scenes, but nothing in this book bothered me. There is some kissing but the way it's portrayed is quite innocent and even kinda cute. Think puppy love.

The only things I can think of that would be noteworthy in the most minor way is

1. the mention of a woman's dress being sheer after jumping into the water and a man being startled by the sight of her.

2. some joking between men about a "courtesan" showing a young man a thing or two, but no specifics. Later it says the young man wouldn't go too far so as to not "give her his seed."

There is some violence as Lisa said but I'd say PG-13 is about right for this book. It's all quite tame. That being said, I really liked it and I hope nothing I mentioned puts you off of it, because it was such a great read. (:(less)

·  15,668 ratings  ·  2,078 reviews

Start your review of The First Girl Child
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"In the beginning, they’d rejoiced. Sons were always preferable. Sons were the lifeblood. The protectors. The warriors. The farmers. How foolish they’d all been."

description

I don't really have to proper words to describe just how well-crafted and ingenious The First Girl Child was. So, this review is going to be a shell of what it potentially could be, simply because Amy Harmon completely stole my words away and I'm jealous of those that may experience this for the first time.

_______________

The
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five in the name Nordic kings, gods, mythological, full of runes, mystic, lyrical, powerful, ghost-ly stars!

Amy Harmon is one of the talented writers always knows how to take you journeys at different time zones from Irish Revolution to the middle of World War second and some unknown mystical kingdom doors. She plays the words like instruments and creates amazing, soul-brushing, heart-healing compositions, that you wanna read over and over again to feel joyful and delighted ! That’s how I felt a
jessica
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow. i am just in awe. amy harmon could be considered one of my favourite fantasy authors, which is crazy because she doesnt primarily write fantasy stories. i really think she should switch over completely because her writing is so enchanting and much more lyrical than in her contemporary fiction novels. it suits the world building perfectly and has such a magical feel that really speaks to me.

before i get too into this review, i want to note that the synopsis is a little misleading. at least i
Bibi
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
✨ Helena ✨
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, adult, vikings
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This was…good. Just that. Good. I’ve read so many of Amy Harmon’s books before, and am frankly slightly disappointed. It didn’t have the spark that her other works have had in the past. This might be due to the unbearably slow pace, because of the story spanning twenty years. I really had to push myself to finish it, even though I liked it. It just wasn’t holding my interest long enough
Felicia
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This story fell flatter than Mariah Carey singing live.

This is a historical fantasy featuring Norse mythology.

I am NOT a historical fiction fan.
I am rarely able to get into a fantasy.
And mythology is a real snoozefest for me.

But this is Amy Harmon.
This book is her first foray into the fantasy genre.
Five Star reviews dominate the ratings.
And it's a Kindle Unlimited (as are all of her books).

So, what hell, right? I'll give it a go.

I still don't like historical fiction.
Fantasy is still a meh gen
Amy Harmon
Aug 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A breathtaking fantasy of a cursed kingdom, warring clans, and unexpected salvation.

The First Girl Child, a historical fantasy, will be released in ebook, paperback and audio on August 20, 2019.

Available on:
KINDLE | PAPERBACK | AUDIO

For as the woman is of the man.
Even so is the man also of the woman.

1 Corinthians 11:22

Within the walls and behind the Temple doors lives an unexpected salvation—a girl.

She was framed by the light of the gray afternoon. And in that moment
Penny Reid
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11-stars
I can't believe I've never left a review for this book!!
This book, man. I've read it five times AT LEAST. And then I gave it to my 13 year old son and he read it. Then we read it together and discussed it, three chapters at a time. IT'S SO SO SO EXCELLENT. So excellent.

Things you should know:
1. Yes, it's a romance. And your heart will hurt, and your chest will ache, and you will swoon.
2. Yes, it's an epic adventure (and romance).
3. You will not be able to put it down once you start, so ensure y
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
4-4,5 STARS

Such a brilliant and unique story!I love whatever genre she writes, and I always go blind to her stories!I don't need a synopsis because I simply know it will be another fantastic read!

description

The story line is interesting,original and captivating!Everything needed their time and their got it!This is a slow story in my opinion and this is what make me not give it 5 stars but still it was an unforgettable read!

"I've come to believe that home is not a place. Home is inside of us. Home is the p
warhawke
Genre: Fantasy
Type: Standalone
POV: Third Person
Rating:

The day Bayr was born, the kingdom of Saylok changed irrevocably. Unbeknownst to the people, a curse was unleashed that made them barren of female newborns. As the years progressed and desperation mounted, Alba became the first girl child to be born in Saylok. But hope for her to be their salvation was shattered when the curse persisted. He would do anything to protect her and neither of them had any idea how their fate intertwined with the
AℳY♔Queen of Fat cats♔민윤기's fiancé
♛♚♔UPDATE 08/15/2021♛♚♔
GUUUYYYYSSS!!! I'm upping my rating!

♛♚♔UPDATE 09/03/2019♛♚♔
4 HARMON SENSEI IS THE BEST WRITER EVER STARS!!!!!!
All of you know that Harmon is my favorite writer ever and for me she can't write anything bad.

So my fangirling self comes to GR to share my love for this book and I find some people saying that TFGC is

Is it the book or is it the reader?

Neither!!!

It comes all down to opinions. 'Cuz for me I was into the HUGE cast of characters, seriously there were a lot of char
Charlie Holmberg
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Harmon at her best. I cried. I dreamed about this book last night and had to read it first thing in the morning. It is amazing. READ IT.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 surprised stars

“We are abused. We are used. We are bartered and abandoned. But rarely are we loved. So be it. From this day forward, there will be no daughters in Saylok for any of you to love.”

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” as Ari https://readingunderstreetlamps.wordpress.com (my buddy reader said) this could be the motto of this book!

The first thing that astonished me in this book is a totally different writing style from what I have read from Amy so far.
Deborah Obida
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult
Buddy read with Kindra my Sept tbr twin.

“And in the end, we can only sacrifice ourselves. To sacrifice others is no sacrifice at all.”

This book is one of those books that when reading it, its extremely hard to put down, I was obsessed with this book till the moment I finished it, that's how much I love this book. This book will make the 5th book by Amy Harmon that I've read and I love every one of them, I think its safe to safe that she is now one of my favourite authors.

Just like the rest o
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Hauntingly Excellent!

A moving representation of how 2 wrongs don’t make a right and the power of love.

The First Girl Child is a story that rocks you to your bones. The sheer words alone captivate with their power. They flow across the pages telling the story of a parent's love for their beloved child. The depths they endure to allow their child to have a better life is alluring. Along with the intense despair, a parent feels while watching a child make life choices and the consequences that
Natalie  ~ The Biblioholic

A female warrior, pregnant with her lover's child, is turned away and forsaken, giving birth to her son in the Temple Wood. Her brother finds her as she bleeds out. Hurt and bitter, she carves out runes in the Earth, cursing the man who turned her away - her son will be his only child; her son will be incredible; her son will be Saylo
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The First Girl Child
Author: Amy Harmon
Release date: August 20, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: fantasy

Fair warning, I'm going to have to gush over this book a little. There's just no getting around it when you fall in love with a story this completely. I've been reading Amy Harmon's books for four years now and although I haven't caught up on her entire backlist, The First Girl Child is now a front runner for all-time favorite. And yes, it's landing on my shortlist for best books of the year a
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ bookwormthoughts

#sacrifice
#betrayal
#breathtaking
5 ☆☆☆☆☆

A curse with far reaching consequences is crafted within the opening chapters of this novel and it is this event steeped in emotion and tragedy that shapes the narrative of the story, and thereafter a stunning tale is weaved depicting power, jealousy, betrayal, hope, sacrifice and above all else, love. Amy Harmon is a writing genius when it comes to creating unique layered wo
Libby
4+ stars - Amy Harmon crafts a historical fantasy novel that quickly draws me into the world of Saylok, an island in the North Sea and as well, a son of Odin, the Allfather, from Norse mythology. Dagmar and Desdemona are siblings growing up in the Clan of Dolphys, the Clan of the Wolf. Dagmar wants to grow up to be a keeper of the temple and the sacred runes. He seeks a life of knowledge, peace, and solitude. His father wants him to be a warrior, but it’s his sister, Desdemona, who becomes the g ...more
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
5 Fantastical Stars

My first Amy Harmon book and boy did she captivate me. I’m not much of a fantasy reader but this one hooked me. I felt as if I was in the land of Saylor along with all the characters. I was able to visualize and feel due to the extraordinary words of the writer.

Bayr and Alba..... There is no Alba without Bayr and No Bayr without Alba. Plain and Simple is the beauty of the story. It is destiny fueled by a curse of a dying mother. But this tale is also so much more. This story
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
✨ 3.75 "CURSED" stars ✨

the first girl child is a well crafted, lush, and epic historical fantasy tale of a cursed kingdom that captivates its readers with equal parts of intrigue and adventure inspired by the norse mythology. it's the perfect read for fans of sky in the deep . reading this book had felt like watching someone's entire lifetime period played out through a montage. a quick snippets of moments that despite all the emotions they'd evoked inside me, i was still left feeling a l
Korrie’s Korner
Infinite Stars!

Totally Speechless.

I’m so afraid that I don’t have the proper words for a review to do this book justice. This is my first kind of book in this particular genre. I love fantasy, but this is beyond anything I’ve read. Norse mythology, Vikings, blood runes..I found myself looking up things and wanting to learn more. That’s the sign of an amazing storyteller and Amy Harmon has truly outdone herself with this one. I just want to stay in this world for a while.

Where do I begin..Bayr, t
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"

5 surprised stars

Hulya Kara Yuksel
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There is no Alba without Bayr,” she whispered.
“Not now. Not then. Not ever again.”

Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
I love Amy Harmon but this one wasn’t for me.
CC

In the land of Saylok, five regions are divided and inhabited by different clans. Under the leadership of one king and the keepers, a curse plagues the island preventing the birth of daughters. As many become desperate and factions begin to fight, the fate of Saylok rests with Bayr, a natural warrior but also a man of profound understanding, who is entrusted to protect the first girl child, Alba. Though Bayr carries his burdens, making sacrifices will test what he’s always held in his heart.

Betül
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**
description

First of all, I want to say that I love that Amy Harmon decided to write a Fantasy novel. She is one of the most well-rounded authors and can write, in my opinion, in any genre she wants. I don't read a lot of Fantasy novels because I find the story-building sometimes a bit complicated. You get a lot of information in a small time of frame, and it is difficult to absorb all of it. However, I never got that feeling from The First Girl
Wendy
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019, oct-19
Amy Harmon is one of my favourite authors and she doesn't disappoint with "The First Girl Child".
A dark yet beautiful, slow-paced fantasy based on Norse mythology. The world building and the character development created an extraordinary world. A world of war and hope, heartbreak and loss, friendship and love.
Regardless of the genre Amy Harmon writes (contemporary being my favourite) her books are sure to captivate and mesmerize me.

Thank you to NetGalley and 47North for a copy of this novel in e
Jennifer Kyle
3.75 Stars ⭐️
talon smith
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I am typing this review out, I am also currently packing up my house so that I can permanently take up residency inside of Amy Harmon's pretty brain. Could you just imagine the amount of magic you would witness if you spent your days inside of there? I can. And let me tell you, it sounds like my dream vacation destination.

While reading The First Girl Child, I loved a lot of things. Below, I am going to bullet point each one. I feel like this should be a very organized and broken down review.

• Martin Swans Diary: Black Water Crossing
  • Song of the Forever Rains (Mousai, #1)
  • First and Forever (Heartache Duet, #2)
  • Girl in Luv (In Luv Duet, #1)
  • Lovely You
  • Drummer Girl
  • Jock Road (Jock Hard, #3)
  • Teardrop Shot
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Simple
  • Beard Necessities (Winston Brothers, #7)
  • Quiet Man (Dream Team #0.5; Dream Man #4.5)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • A Wilderness of Glass (Wraith Kings, #2.7)
  • Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
  • Bound to the Battle God (Aspect and Anchor #1)
  • Hold on to Hope
See top shelves…
Amy Harmon is a Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and New York Times Bestselling author. Amy knew at an early age that writing was something she wanted to do, and she divided her time between writing songs and stories as she grew. Having grown up in the middle of wheat fields without a television, with only her books and her siblings to entertain her, she developed a strong sense of what made a good ...more

The Chronicles of Saylok (2 books)
  • The Second Blind Son

Articles featuring this book

Fantasy literature is arguably the single oldest genre in all of storytelling. Contemporary fantasy has its roots, overtly or not, in world...
“Women don’t make great warriors,” Ivo spat. Dagmar didn’t respond. He didn’t agree. A mother was the fiercest warrior of all.” 15 likes
“We do not live to endure. We endure so someday we can . . . live. I have endured a great deal, but there have only been a few moments when I have truly lived.” 15 likes