Start by marking “Stick Man” as Want to Read:

Stick Man

Stick Man lives in the family tree
With his Stick Lady Love
and their stick children three ...

"a cracker of a book"
- Financial Times

"You'll read this book again and again"
- Daily Mail
Published September 1st 2008 by Alison Green Books

To ask other readers questions about Stick Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stick Man

Start your review of Stick Man
Mischenko
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stick Man lives with his lady love and three stick children in the family tree. One day he's out for a jog and gets snatched by a dog, taken by a girl, found by a swan, and the adventures continue. What Stick Man really wants is to make it back home, but will he?

This is such an adventurous story and perfect for this time of year. We loved Stick Man and his story from beginning to end. The illustrations really evoke the spirit of the holidays. ❤🎄
Toni
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece fromJulia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
Stick Man lives in the family tree with his wife and three children. One day he gets carried away by a dog and his adventures begin. You see everybody thinks he's just a stick and sticks are there for fetching, dropping in water, weaving into a nest, being a sandcastle mast or a sword, a pen or a bat...until he almost gets burnt in a fireplace on the Christmas night. Luckily, his old friend Santa saves him and delivers him to his loyal f
Sophia Triad
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Stick Man and his family live in their family tree. Stick Man separates from his family after a dog grabs him and the poor soul tries his best to go back to them.

I'm not a stick! Why can't they see?
I'm Stick Man, I'm Stick Man, I'M STICK MAN, that's me,
And I long to be back in the family tree

Another favourite book. Rhyming text and detailed illustrations are just perfect and light-hearted.

There is also an unexpected appearance of Santa.

Then Stick Man helps Santa deliver the toys
To fast-asleep g
Manybooks
While I have found the combination of Julia Donaldson's verses and Axel Scheffler's accompanying pictures (like usual) lyrically engaging and illustratively expressive (and also much appreciate that in Stick Man, the lost Stick Father, even after having experienced all kinds of physical trauma from both animals and humans, still immediately rescues Santa Claus from his predicament of being stuck in a chimney and by doing so then gets an appreciative sleigh ride home to his worried family and thu ...more
Faith M ✨
Lmao Hugh Grant read it for COVID relief so I watched the reading and I'm considering it read 😅 ...more
Ken
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're big Donaldson/Scheffler fans in this house and had been saving this one for Christmas.

Poor Stick Man had the indignity of being used as part of a game of fetch between owner and dog!
Through various misadventures he is determined to be reunited with his family, it's rather fitting that having been stranded since the summer he finally makes it back at Christmas.

These books are always a delight with fun rhyming prose and distinctive illustrations.
Christine
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This a delightful children's fiction story, with a winter-holiday setting. Stick Man and his stick family are imaginative stick people who live in their family tree. We follow Stick Man through some unexpected adventures that begin one day, as he goes out for a jog and is abducted by a dog. A series of misadventures ensues as Stick Man tries to make his way home, encountering ever more outlandish situations that thwart him.

The illustrations are perfect: quirky, colorful, bright, and full of deta
Paul
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We bought this yesterday and had it as a bedtime read straight away. Actually quite the story sitting behind the rhyme.
The dangers for a stick man getting caught up in a game of pooh sticks must be terrible.
Kathryn
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stick Man I'm not really sure what to do with this one. Hm... On one hand, I guess it's clever and supposed to be funny (I guess? If a poor Stick Man being separated from his family for months and put into all sorts of challenging situations that a normal stick would be put into like being thrown for a dog to catch, stuck into a snowman for an arm or almost burned up in a fireplace is "funny"). On the other hand, it's billed as a Christmas book and the Santa part really just drops out of nowhere ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Fuck me, this was good. A genuine delight with humour for all. Wonderful: Donaldson's best I'd say. ...more
Kirsty Cabot
First read to Lan December 2019
A firm favourite of his!

First read to Ivy 9/11/16

A brilliant story to read aloud, and perfect for winter/xmas!
Gerry
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may well be my favourite Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler book and it is no surprise to read that the Daily Mail critic commented, ''You'll read this book again and again.' I should say that I did read it twice at the first sitting!

Stick man is a cute little twig and he lives at home in the family tree with his Stick Lady Love and three stick children.

One day he decides to go out for a jog but it turns into something of a nightmare. He is chased by a dog who wants to use him to play 'fetc
Les Wilson
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable family read.
Louise
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Donaldson's picture book tells the story of Stick Man and the troublesome adventure he experiences after beginning a jog. On this adventure, he wants nothing other than to return home to his family. However, Stick Man fails to receive this wish. From being a mast on a sand castle to being an arm on a snow man, Stick Man accepts that he may never return home. In a surprising twist, Stick Man is returned home by Santa just in time for Christmas.
This story is very enjoyable as it demonstrates the
Emma
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great, fun story to read at Christmas with brilliant illustrations, lots of rhyme and repetition. It would be good to use in KS1 and would encourage children to join in with the story, making reading more interactive and enjoyable.
Jonas
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book ever? i think not..
Franci
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
#91 of 2020
Gemma
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We are huge fans of julia Donaldson . This book totally met out expectations.

A lovely book about family.
We won't look at a stick the same again!
Selma D
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Age range I would use it for: 5 – 7

Brief Synopsis: This is the journey of Stick Man, trying to find his way back home after taken off route from his daily jog. The dangers of being a stick man away from home; dogs want to play, swans want to build and fire wants to burn. But on Stick Man’s journey he meets somebody stuck in a chimney, who could this be?
My Opinion:
I found this story really interesting, it takes the reader
Abigail
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Donaldson & Scheffler / Readers Looking for Lighthearted Christmas Picture-Books
When Stick Man, who lives with his "Stick Lady Love and their stick children three", is mistaken for an ordinary twig in this humorous rhyming tale, he experiences a series of misadventures that take him far from home. Used by a dog in a game of fetch, by a series of children for such things as a pen or the arm of a snowman, by a swan as part of a next, Stick Man keeps insisting that he is who he is, rather than some sort of inanimate toy or tool. It is only when he crosses paths with Santa Clau ...more
Nola Lorraine
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stick Man lives in a tree with his wife and three children. While jogging one day, he's fetched by a dog. All sorts of things happen to him after that and he ends up further and further from his family. He tries to explain that he's a Stick Man not a stick, but his explanation falls on deaf ears. Will he be reunited with his family before he's burned to a crisp in a fireplace?

Another good rhyming book from the author of The Gruffalo.
William Ford
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I love this book, can we read it again”. The story has everything a picture book should have, a lovable character, adventure, love and family. Stick Man is a classic that has been read in our household hundreds of times. From the rhyming melody of the text to the amazing illustrations by Axel Scheffler, stick man is a classic. One of dads favorite ever picture books.
Brandy
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite - even knowing everything turns out okay, it's a bit of a stressful read. I wish Stick Man was enjoying his adventures instead of miserable, homesick, and in danger for pretty much the whole book. ...more
Richard
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Arrived earlier today, when my Grandson was at our home.
He already has the book and loves the animated cartoon which tells the story. He saw me remove the book out and put it on the side in the hall. Later, while in the lounge he said read me Stick Man - he is just 2 and a half. To recognise the book without any vocal hint just from a quick sight of its cover is testament to this book’s appeal.
He has never sat so good and followed my reading him a book as he did when reading this wonderful book.
Villain E
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stick Man goes for a jog. He gets picked up by a dog. He gets thrown into a river. He gets used as part of a bird's nest. He gets used as part of a bow-and-arrow. All he wants is to get back home to his stick family.

The moral? Never go jogging.
Viviane Elbee
Clever Christmas story starring a stick man - who goes off on all sorts of (unwanted) and dangerous adventures when he is mistaken for a stick, twig, a mast, sword, hook, pen, bow, boomerang etc...

Kids enjoyed it.

It rhymes and once in awhile the sentences are a little strange in order to fit the rhyme, for example, instead of saying that stick man and his wife have "three stick children" it says "stick children three."
Oluwatobi Majekodunmi
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Julia Donaldson yet again produces a winning formula with The Stick Man. Taking an everyday object of a stick, the author gives it an identity and creates the Stick Man and his instantly loveable family of his ‘stick lady love and his stick children three’. The story follows the life of Stick Man as he is torn away from his family and depicted dealing with everyday situations for a ‘stick’ - he gets thrown to a dog, becomes a pooh stick and forms part of a birds nest to name but a few. Just as i ...more
Maureen
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stick Man
Stick man is never given credit for being anything other than a standard stick, used for throwing, playing and fetching. Nobody considers that he might in fact be a family man, content living in his tree house with his ‘stick lady love and their stick children three’.
The book follows stick man’s quest to return to his family after being overlooked as a standard stick and used for throwing, playing and fetching. Help arrives in an unlikely form and stick man returns to his lady love an
Leanne Lynch
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book follows stick mans quest to return to his family after being overlooked as a standard stick and used for throwing, playing and fetching. Help arrives in an unlikely form and stick man returns to his lady love and children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Owl Babies
  • Funnybones
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • Rumble in the Jungle
  • Supertato
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho

News & Interviews