Start by marking “Stick Man” as Want to Read:

Stick Man

Stick Man lives in the family tree
With his Stick Lady Love
and their stick children three ...

"a cracker of a book"
- Financial Times

"You'll read this book again and again"
- Daily Mail
Published September 1st 2008 by Alison Green Books

To ask other readers questions about Stick Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stick Man

Start your review of Stick Man
Mischenko
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stick Man lives with his lady love and three stick children in the family tree. One day he's out for a jog and gets snatched by a dog, taken by a girl, found by a swan, and the adventures continue. What Stick Man really wants is to make it back home, but will he?

This is such an adventurous story and perfect for this time of year. We loved Stick Man and his story from beginning to end. The illustrations really evoke the spirit of the holidays.
Toni
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece fromJulia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
Stick Man lives in the family tree with his wife and three children. One day he gets carried away by a dog and his adventures begin. You see everybody thinks he's just a stick and sticks are there for fetching, dropping in water, weaving into a nest, being a sandcastle mast or a sword, a pen or a bat...until he almost gets burnt in a fireplace on the Christmas night. Luckily, his old friend Santa saves him and delivers him to his loyal
Sophia Triad
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Stick Man and his family live in their family tree. Stick Man separates from his family after a dog grabs him and the poor soul tries his best to go back to them.

I'm not a stick! Why can't they see?
I'm Stick Man, I'm Stick Man, I'M STICK MAN, that's me,
And I long to be back in the family tree

Another favourite book. Rhyming text and detailed illustrations are just perfect and light-hearted.

There is also an unexpected appearance of Santa.

Then Stick Man helps Santa deliver the toys
To fast-asleep
Manybooks
While I have found the combination of Julia Donaldson's verses and Axel Scheffler's accompanying pictures (like usual) lyrically engaging and illustratively expressive (and also much appreciate that in Stick Man, the lost Stick Father, even after having experienced all kinds of physical trauma from both animals and humans, still immediately rescues Santa Claus from his predicament of being stuck in a chimney and by doing so then gets an appreciative sleigh ride home to his worried family and ...more
Christine
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This a delightful children's fiction story, with a winter-holiday setting. Stick Man and his stick family are imaginative stick people who live in their family tree. We follow Stick Man through some unexpected adventures that begin one day, as he goes out for a jog and is abducted by a dog. A series of misadventures ensues as Stick Man tries to make his way home, encountering ever more outlandish situations that thwart him.

The illustrations are perfect: quirky, colorful, bright, and full of
Paul
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We bought this yesterday and had it as a bedtime read straight away. Actually quite the story sitting behind the rhyme.
The dangers for a stick man getting caught up in a game of pooh sticks must be terrible.
Kathryn
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stick Man I'm not really sure what to do with this one. Hm... On one hand, I guess it's clever and supposed to be funny (I guess? If a poor Stick Man being separated from his family for months and put into all sorts of challenging situations that a normal stick would be put into like being thrown for a dog to catch, stuck into a snowman for an arm or almost burned up in a fireplace is "funny"). On the other hand, it's billed as a Christmas book and the Santa part really just drops out of nowhere ...more
Kirsty Cabot
First read to Lan December 2019
A firm favourite of his!

First read to Ivy 9/11/16

A brilliant story to read aloud, and perfect for winter/xmas!
Joey Woolfardis
Fuck me, this was good. A genuine delight with humour for all. Wonderful: Donaldson's best I'd say.
Gerry
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may well be my favourite Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler book and it is no surprise to read that the Daily Mail critic commented, ''You'll read this book again and again.' I should say that I did read it twice at the first sitting!

Stick man is a cute little twig and he lives at home in the family tree with his Stick Lady Love and three stick children.

One day he decides to go out for a jog but it turns into something of a nightmare. He is chased by a dog who wants to use him to play
Louise
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Donaldson's picture book tells the story of Stick Man and the troublesome adventure he experiences after beginning a jog. On this adventure, he wants nothing other than to return home to his family. However, Stick Man fails to receive this wish. From being a mast on a sand castle to being an arm on a snow man, Stick Man accepts that he may never return home. In a surprising twist, Stick Man is returned home by Santa just in time for Christmas.
This story is very enjoyable as it demonstrates the
Jonas
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book ever? i think not..
Selma D
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Age range I would use it for: 5 – 7

Brief Synopsis: This is the journey of Stick Man, trying to find his way back home after taken off route from his daily jog. The dangers of being a stick man away from home; dogs want to play, swans want to build and fire wants to burn. But on Stick Man’s journey he meets somebody stuck in a chimney, who could this be?
My Opinion:
I found this story really interesting, it takes the reader on
Abigail
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Donaldson & Scheffler / Readers Looking for Lighthearted Christmas Picture-Books
When Stick Man, who lives with his "Stick Lady Love and their stick children three", is mistaken for an ordinary twig in this humorous rhyming tale, he experiences a series of misadventures that take him far from home. Used by a dog in a game of fetch, by a series of children for such things as a pen or the arm of a snowman, by a swan as part of a next, Stick Man keeps insisting that he is who he is, rather than some sort of inanimate toy or tool. It is only when he crosses paths with Santa ...more
Nola
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stick Man lives in a tree with his wife and three children. While jogging one day, he's fetched by a dog. All sorts of things happen to him after that and he ends up further and further from his family. He tries to explain that he's a Stick Man not a stick, but his explanation falls on deaf ears. Will he be reunited with his family before he's burned to a crisp in a fireplace?

Another good rhyming book from the author of The Gruffalo.
William Ford
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I love this book, can we read it again”. The story has everything a picture book should have, a lovable character, adventure, love and family. Stick Man is a classic that has been read in our household hundreds of times. From the rhyming melody of the text to the amazing illustrations by Axel Scheffler, stick man is a classic. One of dads favorite ever picture books.
Viviane Elbee
Clever Christmas story starring a stick man - who goes off on all sorts of (unwanted) and dangerous adventures when he is mistaken for a stick, twig, a mast, sword, hook, pen, bow, boomerang etc...

Kids enjoyed it.

It rhymes and once in awhile the sentences are a little strange in order to fit the rhyme, for example, instead of saying that stick man and his wife have "three stick children" it says "stick children three."
Oluwatobi Majekodunmi
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Julia Donaldson yet again produces a winning formula with The Stick Man. Taking an everyday object of a stick, the author gives it an identity and creates the Stick Man and his instantly loveable family of his ‘stick lady love and his stick children three’. The story follows the life of Stick Man as he is torn away from his family and depicted dealing with everyday situations for a ‘stick’ - he gets thrown to a dog, becomes a pooh stick and forms part of a birds nest to name but a few. Just as ...more
Maureen
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stick Man
Stick man is never given credit for being anything other than a standard stick, used for throwing, playing and fetching. Nobody considers that he might in fact be a family man, content living in his tree house with his ‘stick lady love and their stick children three’.
The book follows stick man’s quest to return to his family after being overlooked as a standard stick and used for throwing, playing and fetching. Help arrives in an unlikely form and stick man returns to his lady love
Leanne Lynch
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book follows stick mans quest to return to his family after being overlooked as a standard stick and used for throwing, playing and fetching. Help arrives in an unlikely form and stick man returns to his lady love and children.
Carina
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I discovered fairly recently. It tells the story of a stick man (literally) that gets in to all sorts of trouble including being played with by a dog and nearly burnt on a fire in his quest to return to the family tree where his 'stick lady love, and their stick children three' live. I really enjoyed this story it was different, funny and had a sense of danger about it which I'm sure children would love. It is also quite festive with a cameo from a heroic Father Christmas near the ...more
Fjóla
Loved, loved, loved this book! But, is it a coincidence how much Stick Man reminds me of Norwegian author Anne-Cath. Vestly's hero Stick Man from the books about Little Brother and his stick man (and which I read over and over as a child)? Maybe part of my love for Julia Donaldson's Stick Man indeed comes from those fond memories. But, the book is great. It might be somewhat scary for the youngest ones, but it has a happy ending, and it doubles as a Christmas tale. The prose is great, so much fun to ...more
Laura Dowsett
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Stick Man" by Julia Donaldson details the story of a literal stick person who faces various dangers based upon the fact that he is a stick. The stick man is trying to return to his family (who live in the family tree), but people continuously try to use him like a normal stick. Eventually, stick man escapes from all the dangerous situations and returns home to his family.

This is another Julia Donaldson book that lends itself to being read aloud due to the rhythmic and rhyming nature of the
Farhana Imran
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated book about a stick which is a man with a family. One day he wanders off for a jog, encounters a dog who wants to throw and fetch it, a girl who throws him in the water, a swan who uses him to weave a nest etc Stick man longs to be with his family but ends up as a play thing for some animal or person he encounters along the way.

Julia Donaldson uses rhyme which is really fun to read, we become enthralled by the stick man and very worried for him. Will he be able
Brandy
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite - even knowing everything turns out okay, it's a bit of a stressful read. I wish Stick Man was enjoying his adventures instead of miserable, homesick, and in danger for pretty much the whole book.
Al
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My niece's favourite Christmas story, which I read to her every time I visit.
Ana LibrariAna
A funny misadventure following Stick Man trying to get back home to his Lady Stick and three Stick children after being snatched by a dog, a girl, a swan, and many other. Stick Man get more and more irritated that no one realises that he is is not a stick, or a boomerang...... : "Why can't they see,
I'm Stick Man, I'm Stick Man, I'M STICK MAN, that's me,
And I want to go home to my family tree!"

Great and funny read-aloud following Stick Man through a a series of misadventures. This book is a
Beth
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story follows Stickman on his journey back to the Family Tree. “Stickman lives in the Family Tree with his Stick Lady Love and their stick children three.” Stickman goes for a run when a dog mistakes him for any old stick. The story follows Stickman through a series of dramatic adventures until finally Santa delivers Stickman back to the Family Tree just in time for Christmas.

Thrilling story, lots of rhyme and repetition. Also available as BBC film.
Justine Carnegie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love a Julia Donaldson story. Always a hit with children and adults as well. The children can follow the plot and enjoy the adventures of stick man. As well as joining in with the repetitive language of the story.
Lots of opportunity to do cross curricular activities and lessons. Would highly recommend it’s in everyone’s collection.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1 - Stick Man 1 7 Sep 04, 2014 05:01PM

• Beegu
  • The Storm Whale
  • The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out