Start by marking “Where the Story Starts” as Want to Read:
Where the Story Starts

Where the Story Starts

A strange encounter. An unlikely friendship. But will it survive when they both know the truth?

As single mother Leah struggles to get her children ready one morning, the doorbell rings. Standing on the doorstep of their terraced house in Whitley Bay is a well-dressed stranger, Clio, who feels an emotional tie to the house that she can’t explain. The story should end there,
Kindle Edition
Published May 28th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Where the Story Starts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Story Starts

Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Amazon for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I mostly read thrillers but I also enjoy women's fiction. This is the first book I have read written by Imogen Clark. If you enjoy Amanda Prowse, I highly recommend this book. Based on Where The Story Starts I think I have discovered a great new author.

I was drawn into this book from the first page. The plot was intriguing even though it was obvious early on how Charles and Ray were connected.

The book was
Anjana
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly speaking, I should not have liked the book as much as I did. I understood the storyline from the beginning, knew the events before they happened and generally not a fan of the topic being handled. Despite all of the above conditions, I liked the book, enough to give it four stars!

I do not know what to credit for this strange occurrence, but it might have been the four women of the tale. There are more strong women, but four of them are our main focus. Two women in the past and two in the
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book- the characters, story and writing style!! I loved the previous books by the author, but this is my new favorite. I just love the way Imogen Clark tells a story. I get caught up and feel like I'm a part of it. Clio, Leah and Grace were my favorite characters. They were all amazing in their own way. Charles was simply a terrible. All he thought about was himself. Did he even love his wife? He honestly thought he got away with everything and was great at keeping secrets/lying. I'm ...more
Alison
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leah and Clio meet outside Leah's front door. And they are so far apart in society but end up becoming the best of friends, bringing out the best in each other and supporting the weak parts in each other.
I clicked the story-line quite fast, although I had a few doubts every now and then.
The author has taken a rather predictable story-line, added twists and turns and colourful characters that make it a most enjoyable read.
No matter how deep you try to bury a secret it has a way of coming out when
TracieB♠️
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-netgalley
Absolutely fabulous read! Loved the storyline and characters.

I loved the writing style here and the past present set up, you really get drawn in to each character and totally understand the reasonings behind their decisions etc

Fab book!
Jessy
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can tell from a mile away everything that’s going to happen in this book. I usually can’t stand predictability. But the author wrote these characters so well you can’t help wanting to be a part of their lives...So you keep reading and end up enjoying every minute of it. At least I did. :)
Karen Whittard
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written family drama. That spans generations and has many deep dark secrets in it. It is very well written. With some sensitive subjects. Great characters and a lyrical style to it. That is very enjoyable to read.
Mamata | _booksandtealife
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to #netgallery for the eARC!

This was my first read of Imogen Clark, and I loved it. A twisted tale. Two women who meet by coincidence (well it seemed so at the start) and but then develop a beautiful strong friendship. While Clio knows a bit, Leah is still surprised how she gets to be friends with Clio.

The four women, Grace, Melissa, Clio and Leah - The four pillars of the story and all connected by one single person - Charles/Ray. I cannot even come to think of how Grace was silent for h
Lee Knight
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy of Imogen Clark's latest book and having read all of her other titles was very much looking forward to reading this, her latest. I'm delighted to say I was not disappointed. Ms Clark has cemented her reputation as an excellent writer, able to weave an engaging tale from her clear appreciation and understanding of the nuances of the family dynamic. I devoured it pretty much in one go! Although, I confess, I guessed where the storyline was headed ...more
Rhoda
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thank you to Netgalley for the kindle version of this book!

Two women meet and become fast friends, however as the story unfolds, deeply hidden secrets are revealed.

To be honest, this is not a book I would have expected to give 5 stars to. It is relatively easy to work out what the big 'secret' is quite early on in the book, however by then I had become intrigued by the characters and wanted to know how the story unfolded.

I found the characters to be beautifully written and believable. I adored
Annette Jordan
Where The Story Starts is the story of how two very different women became unlikely friends. Clio is the heiress daughter of a baroness while Leah is a single mum bringing up two children in a small terraced house. When Clio knocks on her door one day a connection is forged and as the book unfolds the two women help and support each other in many ways.
Even though the ending of this book is obvious from the beginning I still really enjoyed watching the story unfold, and this I put down to wonder
Karen
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this Kindle version of the book in a giveaway on Goodreads. I read it in one day which is indicative of the fact that I found the story and the characters to be very engaging and charming. The story takes place in England. The plot is a story of bigamy, and the ultimate effect it had upon the wives and families. It was quite clear to the reader, long before the story's characters were aware, of the duplicity of the father figure. The text flowed well, and was nicely written. An objection I ...more
Scott Eastman
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Real Fun Read

I am not really that good writing reviews, I just simply state whether l enjoyed the book or not. This is the 2nd book of Only an Clark that I have read and it was no let down. I really got into the characters and and story and read until like 3 am. I look forward to other books by this author and I recommend this book to others.I

The only issue that may distract others is that you have to look past a lot of swearing. It seems as if the English are in love with the "F" word which w
Paula Stammers
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
I really enjoyed this book and loved the way the characters developed over the pages. Although it was a storyline that I predicted there were still a few surprises long the way and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

In a rush to leave the house with her two children, Leah is surprised when a strange woman is standing on her doorstep. Clio remembers the house from a family holiday and following the death of her father she has decided to visit for old times sake. But the house has never been used as a
M Fowler
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read

I have read both of Imogen Clark's previous novels and enjoyed them very much. I received an ARC of Where the Story Starts and am giving an honest review.
It's the characters and the secrets in this novel which drew me in and kept me turning the of because they seem so real and plausible. Without giving anything away, one man 's selfish actions cause chaos for the next two generations.
This is a warm, sensitive book where the best and the worst things happen when two apparently o
Carrie
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed this book. It is a story mostly about four women, two pairs of mothers and daughters. Grace and Clio are wealthy and live on an estate and Melissa and Leah are not. The connection between the four characters was easy enough for me to guess early on, but what I truly enjoyed was the strength that Grace, Clio and Leah had.

I really enjoyed the journey of finding out the whole story of what went on between everyo
Nichole Doud
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shades of Liane Moriarty. Told primarily through four female narrators, there is a secret or two here, but this story isn't about the reader uncovering them (the first is understood fairly early on); rather, it chronicles the journey the characters take as secrets are revealed and the compromises and fallout that result. It was that journey that hooked me. At first, I was a little disappointed that there was nothing for me to figure out, but as I got to know and care for the characters, I raced ...more
wendy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You become part of the family

This was such a wonderful experience. Everytime I thought I had it fig out, things changed. You wouldn't have figured that the two girls would have gotten along as well as they did, but since they were unaware of the truth it was easy. There was so many lies involved with so many people, how did the children turn out they way they did?
The father should have been tarred and feathered for the way he dealt with the lives of the children. That was dispicable to say the
Sarah Disher neddow
Oh I just love anything Imogen Clark puts down on paper 😍 I was lucky enough to receive a NetGalley ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The characters in this book felt like friends right from the start. I was drawn in and wanted to follow their stories as their lives and connections began to reveal themselves. I rooted for happy endings for them all! The complexity of choices that were made throughout will make you wonder whether honesty is always the best policy.
My highest praise is that I w
Andrea
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s strange to read a book about bigamy and find nearly all the characters likable. Both Grace and Melissa were endearing and easy to see why Charles fell in love with both of them. I thought perhaps Clio was going to be a scornful, malicious, betrayed daughter, but I couldn’t have liked her any more. Leah was so resilient and down to to earth. While this book wasn’t a spiderweb of deceit it did have its surprises. It’s a story about the complicated relationships within families. I enjoyed this ...more
Amber Cowie
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love reading Imogen’s books. It’s like having a lovely glass of wine in a warm bath. I was lucky to get an early copy to blurb. Once again, in her inimitable gently compelling way, Imogen Clark urges readers to turn the pages as the delightfully pleasant façade of her characters’ lives begin to crack when the mysteries of the past come to call. Both soothing and riveting, WHERE THE STORY STARTS asks: what if your greatest secret is the one you don’t even know exists?
C.J. J Richardson
Yet another great novel from Imogen Clark. From start to finish, I was hooked. The characters are very well drawn and I could see them as I followed their stories, jumping from the past to the present. Told in the first person by each character, it brought me ever closer to them all.
The book covers a topic that very few of us have experienced, but Clark has made it all too clear what the consequences could be.
Already looking forward to the next one.
Kathleen Gray
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How are Leah and Clio connected? No spoilers. This is a gentle, well told story of four women- two sets of mothers and daughters- and a secret that unites them. The alternating narration works well as the truth spools out because you'll get the idea as they do. I enjoyed this one more than I anticipate because of the quality of the writing. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. Perfect for fans of domestic British novels. A very good read.
Shana
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an e-galley of this book.

I loved this story! I couldn't put it down! The way it was written, I kept saying, "I need to find out what happens next.....just one more chapter!"

Melissa-then, is married to Ray and mother to Leah. Grace-then, is married to Charles and mother to Hector and Clio. Clio-today, has become friends with Leah.

It's a big circle as to how they all come to know each other.
#NetGalley #WhereTheStoryStarts
Avid (Maria) Reader
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-2019
Clio and Leah grew up in two different worlds of society. However, their lives become intertwined when Clio stumbles on a family secret. Although you figure out early in the story in what the big secret is, you can'take help to see how this story unfolds.
This story is about loves, loss, betrayal and forgiveness.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Cindy
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The author is very perceptive in the way she describes her characters thoughts but I struggled to finish this book as the story was very predictable and one I had read many times before. I will definitely check out this authors other books as she is a very strong writer; I just couldn't enjoy this story which has been told so many times before.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me an early release in exchange for an honest and fair review.

Susan Smith
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a "page turner", definitely 5 stars. So hard to review without spoilers though. The characters really drew me in. Each chapter written from the point of view of one of the characters, skipping backwards and forwards in time. Sounds complicated but written so well it's seamless and just makes you want to continue reading! One of the best books I've read in a long time.
I received an early review copy from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an unbiased review.
Catherine
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way the novel used flashbacks and various character viewpoints to convey the narrative. I was a bit surprised and shocked by the subject matter, but think that Imogen has made a thorough job of it. I enjoyed reading about her characters and was interested to discover that one of the locations is real. I look forward to reading more of Imogen's work.
Mary Egan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book very much. Very different from other books I have read. A very unique story plot. Very well written. Almost believable. I'm thinking of recommending it to my book club.

I enjoyed book very much. Very unique st plot. Well written. All believable. I'm thinking of recommending the book to my book club.
Bhavini matthew lane
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable read

I really enjoyed this book. It had me hooked from the beginning. Even though you guess what had happened you still keep turning the pages as you get hooked very quickly
Bestselling author Imogen Clark writes contemporary women’s fiction about the secrets that hide at the heart of the families that she creates. She lives in Yorkshire with her husband and children (who hopefully have no such secrets to tell!)

Imogen’s first book POSTCARDS FROM A STRANGER reached the top of the Amazon Kindle Charts in both the UK and Australia. Her second book THE THING ABOUT CLARE w