Start by marking “The Songs That Brought Me Back (The Songs #2)” as Want to Read:
The Songs That Brought Me Back (The Songs #2)

The Songs That Brought Me Back

(The Songs #2)

Have you ever made a mistake? One so monumental you lost everything? I did, and I hate myself for it! All I want to do is close my eyes, and let the darkness consume me. Make it all go away. The end.

Ainsley is drowning in the depth of her despair. One wrong decision left her alone, with only regret as her constant companion. To escape it all, she makes another choice. One
Published December 4th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Songs That Brought Me Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Songs That Brought Me Back

Katie W
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has a story and sometimes there is more to a person than what is seen at first glance. Ainsley was not my favorite character in The Songs of You and Me, but discovering her hidden demons and trials was a refreshing reminder not to judge others and there actions, for there is almost always a reason.

This is a hard topic to swallow, and I was slightly intimidated by the content, but Demeyere was able to deliver it in a very tasteful, informative, heartfelt, and hopeful way, which quickly d
Julie Carpenter
Have you ever read the blurb for a book and wondered if it would be the book for you? Where you had previously read a book by the same author and absolutely loved it. The emotions and connection to the characters was amazing. Then you see the next book of that same author coming out. You read the sneak peek for it and at first think, this book is going to be such an emotional read. You think, do I have it in me? Will I be happy with the outcome or will I be wishing my time back?

Honestly, that wa
Taylor Dean
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story about a sensitive topic. The second book in The Songs Series is wonderfully and thoughtfully written. I loved it.

This book is a heartfelt romance with a powerful message about the sanctity of human life. If you've ever simply needed a friend, The Songs that Brought Me Back will resonate--and leave you thankful for the people in your life.

Bonus: The book takes us to the author's hometown in Belgium, which is fascinating.

Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Wow, what an emotionally gripping story and honestly one that is a bit difficult to read sometimes. I'm imagining that most of us are connected in some way to the events of suicide. It's a subject that is tender and painful for those left behind. This story delves into suicide in a very personal way. I feel like the author did a good job of balancing the hard things with positive things in a realistic and believable way. I never felt so weighed down in the hard stuff that I couldn't feel the hop ...more
Charissa
This poignant redemption story about second chances and forgiveness yanked my emotions all over the place. I cried, I yearned, I hoped. It’s a beautiful story about what true love is and does, with great characters that I fell in love with, a theme about suicide and also loving and forgiving oneself that touched me deep in my core. This is the second book in this series, but each book can be read stand-alone. But Ainsley has a connection to the hero in book 1, and her issues stem from circumstan ...more
Sheila
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved author Mylissa Demeyere's first novel, The Songs of You and Me. I loved this second novel just as much. It is amazing to me how she creates stories as delicately and bright as an artist paints strokes of color on a canvas. The words jump off the page and you're surrounded by this collection of thoughts and feelings that wrap you up in the character's lives.

The story starts with a very tough subject of the main characters attempted suicide. It is done in a way that is heart wrenching, no
Jamie Demeyere
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Songs That Brought Me Back is another remarkable read by Mylissa Demeyere. Ethan and Ainsley had me laughing and crying as they faced their own demons and fall in love while doing it. This book adds even more depth as it confronts suicide head on. Suicide has become an epidemic that some are afraid to address. Demyere brings it to light from both the victims and the survivors, giving us insight on the struggles of so many. It does not disappoint and I, again, am excited to see what comes nex ...more
Suzie Waltner
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
For anyone who read The Songs of You and Me by Mylissa Demeyer, chances are good you have an opinion of Ainsley. Chances are even better that opinion is none to favorable.

I will start with this: I am so glad Demeyere wrote this book, which picks up after Ainsley’s encounter with Jackson in the previous book.

Here’s the deal. Everybody has their own story to tell. Everyone makes mistakes. None of us know the entire story or has the right to judge a person without knowing the whole of that story.

Ai
Britney
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heart! As someone who suffers from severe depression and anxiety, I can say that this story deeply touched my heart and gave me hope to continue moving forward. Ethan and Ainsley have both been through a lot, and because of that I loved reading their story and seeing them heal little by little. Sometimes when we've been bruised and broken we feel like we have to fight to try and become the person we were before that happened. This beautiful story of hope shows us that we don't necessarily ...more
Marie Bourgery
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ainsley as the cheating wife of Jackson was cast as a not so nice person in The Songs of You and Me. But there are two sides to every story. Ainsley’s parents were awful putting her down and making her not feel worthy of love, so her marriage to Jackson was troubled and they drifted apart. In her pain over miscarrying her daughter, cheating on and losing Jackson and never feeling worthy enough, she tries to commit suicide and her neighbor Ethan finds her and gets her help in time. His sister kil ...more
Dagmar
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ll be honest here. I am not the romantic-book-reader-type. And This book has full blast romance everywhere in it. So people who love Reading romantic stuff will LOVE it.
It also contains a much deeper content. It speaks about depression and How to deal with that. And it speaks about How people are dealing with a friend or family member attempting suicide.
The characters are great. After Reading the book they seem real to me.
It’s one of those books that makes you think and feel things.
Great r
Koko
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really, really loved reading this book. I shed some tears, which most of the times I hardly do with books. I felt somehow so close/connected to Ainsley while reading this book. I wanna thank the author for bringing so much reality into this fictional character. I love how she brought the reality of “it is okay to be on the dark side but it is also certainly right to accept help and let people be there for you” .
Brienna
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up half the night finishing this book. I loved it and couldn't put it down. I'm so glad I was able to read Ainsley's perspective. Of course I judged her at first, but it's so important to hear both sides of a story. It was neat to learn about Ethan and I loved the Belgian history and food references. Once again, Melissa writes an engaging, sweet, heartbreaking, uplifting and clean novel.
Nari
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful story. I could not put it down once I started. There is so much depth and feeling in this book. I did not like Ainsley when I meet her in the first book. After reading this book, I understand her so much better and my opinion of her has completely changed. Ethan is amazing from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book!
DelSheree
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's always two sides to every story, and this is the other side of book one. Mylissa does a great job tackling difficult subjects and helping readers connect with a character that wasn't easy to like in the first book. In fact, I really didn't like Ainsley at all in the first book and I was hesitant to start book two, knowing I'd probably end up understanding her a lot better! Sometimes you just don't want to like a character. But our mistakes shouldn't define us and I was glad I gave Ainsle ...more
Andrea
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The Songs That Brought Me Back is the first book I've read that has a major focus on suicide. The author's note about why she wrote the book (see below) was the first thing I read, and since her father committed suicide it is a very important topic for her. I think knowing her feelings on it added to the impact it had on me as I read it.

It's hard to know where to start with my feelings on the novel-it really created a lot of emotions that were all over the place. The characters were well develop
Aubrey
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful sequel to The Songs of You and Me that cleverly illustrates that there are always two sides to every story and that it is never too late for love to overcome any challenge.
This may look like just another cute romance novel, and while it is cute and romantic it is NOT just another romance novel. It is a deep and moving story of hurt, mourning, forgiveness, redemption, and healing. I loved the way Mylissa took on difficult topics in a relatable and sensitive way, while still keeping t
Bauters Inge
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After Mylissa's first amazing book that was more than just a love story, i was really looking forward to this one. And again I loved it so much. My hart was full of love, feeling all the emotions that were going on..... Ainsley and Ethan were brought together in such a difficult situation, but love had a chance to grow. We all have that Ainsley person in our lives, and i loved all the respect and sympathy Ethan is so good in.
Thanks for this wonderfull story, i could not stop reading, it held my
Shauna
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though the subject is a hard one to talk about or read, this author did a beautiful job unfolding a love story between two broken people. I loved Ethan and Ainsley. I could feel their pain and heartache and ached with them on their roads to recovery. For an older audience. A thoughtful story that puts you on both sides of suicide. Read the author's note. I want to go to Belgium.
Cheri
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Choices that you make can sometimes leave you in a place, that you never want to find yourself in. A hard subject mater, but well written. Ainsley is broken and having a hard time. Ethan has his secrets that he keeps buried. Can they each find a way to help each other? I loved both books in this series
Wendy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Songs That Brought Me Back truely is an amazing novel. Reading the sneak peek to this book I immediately felt this story was going to be intense. I couldn’t wait to start reading it.
As from the very first pages I teared up, filled with emotions. I was deeply touched by the story.
Even after many years the heartache remains vividly present.

Mylissa has truly written another gem. I recognized a part of myself in both Ainsley as well as Ethan. Wonderful to see how caring the characters are to
Gay-Lynne
Jan 20, 2019
Saskia Talgi
Nov 28, 2018
Emily F
Dec 14, 2018
Mylissa Demeyere
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Suzanne C
Jan 16, 2019
Camille Thomas
Jan 16, 2019
  • For the Love of Laura Beth
  • A Snow Globe Christmas (Ornamental Match Maker Series #5)
  • His Christmas Wish (Mountain Rescue Romance #1)
  • Taming Scrooge
  • A Friend in Paris
  • A Me and You Thing
  • Marrying Miss Kringle: Frost
  • Cats Never Forget: Magical Cool Cats Mysteries Short Story
  • The Sweetest Spark (The Spark Brothers #3)
  • Winner Takes All (Warriors of the Heart #4)
  • The Knowing (The Knowing #1)
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Death by the River
  • The Spinster and I (The Spinster Chronicles, #2)
  • My Brother's Bride (Serendipity Book 2)
  • Rejecting the Prince (Royal Secrets #8)
  • The Glamorous Life of a Mediocre Housewife
  • Snow and Mistletoe Box Set
Mylissa Demeyere was born in Belgium, and resides in the beautiful city of Ghent. She lives in a somewhat organized home with her four beautiful children and the love of her life. If she isn't working, she's writing, running, reading, or enjoying time with her kids, who are growing up way too fast.
The Songs of You and Me is her debut novel, with a sequel already in the works.

Connect with Mylissa