Start by marking “Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)

Murder in Cherry Hills

(Cozy Cat Caper Mystery #1)

Kat Harper has only just returned to her small hometown of Cherry Hills, Washington when she discovers the dead body of her neighbor, Mrs. Tinsdale. Matilda, Mrs. Tinsdale's orphaned rescue cat, just might be the only eyewitness to the murder. But how do you convince a cat to reveal "whodunit"?
Published August 7th 2015 by Marla Bradeen

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Cherry Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Cherry Hills

Start your review of Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
Betty
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light reading cozy mystery. It was well written and no glaring editor problems. There is no sex and very little violence. It was a pleasure to find the protagonist did not put herself in danger. The characters are not well developed and the story is simple. Matilda, her neighbor cat leads Kat Harper finds her human dead in a bathroom. Matilda also shows Kat the clue that leads to the answer. There a number interesting way for the tale to develop into a fascinating story. I recommend this book ...more
LORI CASWELL
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

We meet Kat Harper just when she notices Matilda in the hallway. Her neighbor’s door is ajar so that explains how the cat got out. When Kat goes to return the cat, she find her neighbor has been murdered. Kat soon realizes Matilda witnessed her person’s death. Now how can Kat get the cat to help her find the killer?

This series is off to a great start. We just scratch the surface on our lead characters, Kat and Matilda. I would have liked a little more depth and a little more
Cindy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short

entertaining cozy. Clean, pleasant Dr. Office-bedside, fireside, or beach read. Lively plot and likable characters. Recommended but not if you want heavy reading.
Mystereity Reviews
3 1/2 stars

Cute short story, and a good first in a new series. Murder in Cherry Hills has Kat Harper newly returned to her hometown when she finds her neighbor's cat, Matilda, on her doorstep and her neighbor murdered in her apartment. Can Kat catch a killer?

I enjoyed the characters, I look forward to seeing them gain dimension as the series goes on, as well as developing Kat's back story. Great plot, too although it wasn't so much solved as narrated.

Because the story was so short, only 60 or so
Anna
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable short story. Ideal for quiet enjoyment between more complex books. A great little 'cozy mystery'.
Lis Carey
Kat Harper has moved home to Cherry Hills, Washington, and is settling in happily, until she finds her neighbor, Mrs. Tinsdale, murdered. The police detective who turns up to lead the investigation is childhood friend Andrew, who'll be investigating his first murder.

Except, of course, Kat has to investigate, too. Mrs. Tinsdale's cat, Matilda, with no one else to give her a home, moves in with her, and she gets involved with the rescue group Matty came from, and which Mrs. Tinsdale was treasurer
Cynthia
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Erika
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute idea but too easy...

While the idea for this story was cute, everything was a little too convenient for the heroine to discover about the murder. There was very little misdirection and things just sort of seemed to “happen” with little actual investigating on Kat’s part. The kitty cat finds the murderer’s earring (which somehow the forensic team completely missed when they surveyed the scene??) Then she just “happens” to see the murderers torn earlobe the next day. Too convenient with no
Sandie Herron
Kat Harper wakes to find a cat at her apartment door. Meaning to return Mathilda to her neighbor, she walks into her open door only to find her neighbor fallen on the floor of her bathroom, quite dead. Although Kat grew up in Cherry Hills, Washington, she has been away for 15 years and has just recently returned. Therefore she is pleased when one of the policemen she summons is an old friend.

With no one to care for Matty the cat, Kat takes her in and becomes involved in the cat rescue
Vicki
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a 21 book series, which would usually make me want to imediately pass on it, but all the books are short so I decided to read it and I’m glad I did. I really liked it.

Kat opens her apartment door and see’s her neighbor’s (Mrs. Tinsdale) cat siting there. Since she knows Mrs. Tinsdale doesn’t like Matilda roaming around inside the apartment building, Kat decides to take her back to Mrs. Tindale’s apartment. When she gets to the door she see’s it’s open a bit. She goes
Terric853
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cute and a quick read. Kat Harper has returned to Cherry Hills, WA, after leaving 15 years earlier and vowing never to return. As the product of the foster care system, Kat felt that life in this small town was stiffing. (It's not clear why she moved back.)

When her neighbor's cat shows up the door of her apartment (they live in a secured building and are the only two occupied apartments on their floor), she takes the cat back only to find her neighbor dead. The detective investigating the case
moxieBK
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, cats
Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery Book 1) — Paige Sleuth (11 chapters) July 22-23, 2019

Anything with cat and cozy in title has to be good, amirite?

Well, this is a story of a gal that comes back to her hometown and finds her neighbor dead. The neighbor’s cat comes to live with her and she works on trying to solve the murder.

Add in an old time friend/crush and we have a nice little hetro-rom-cozy, with cat.

I really LOVED this book. It was a short, fast read, with a complete mystery.
Donna
Nov 03, 2019 added it
This was an okay story but it could have been better. Kat and Andrew are likable enough but they are flat. There was not enough character development. Kat keeps saying she didn't really know the victim and only spoke to her a few times but she has picked up one of the victim's sayings. That seemed weird. Why did Kat adopt Matilda without the victim's family having a say in it? There was no meat to the story. A woman is found dead, Kat talks to a couple of people, and Bam! the case is solved. ...more
Jenn
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kat Harper has recently returned to her hometown of Cherry Hills, Washington. She notices her neighbour's cat, Matilda, in the hallway of their apartment building. The door is ajar and Kat discovers poor Mrs. Tinsdale's body. Kat and Matilda will have to work together to solve the mystery of who would want Mrs. Tinsdale dead.

This was short and light. Not a whole lot of depth or action - the main character doesn't really put herself in danger, but it is a promising start to the series. Kat is a
Karin Corneau
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best way to describe this...short, sweet and to the point. Started this afternoon just before work and finished it in the same day. I'm hoping that the rest of the books in the series are a bit longer and focus more on character development. I do like the main character, Kat, but didn't really get to know her very well in such a short read. That being said, I wasn't able to figure out the killer, even though there were only a few extra characters floating around. Curious to see what happens with ...more
Ellen White
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matty, a cat with an agenda, to get the neighbor Katherine to come. To notice that she was a house cat, and yet awaiting on her doorstep, that something was wrong. The door ajar, and she was tempted to ask the cat
why and if that’s how she got out. A call to the police, brought Andrew,
giving her a hug, haven’t seen him since they were teenagers. Retelling of what happened and telling that Matty maybe the witness of the crime.
Andrew disagreed, she wondered if she could prove him wrong.
Short, but
Bobbi
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adopting a cat is not usually such a traumatic event. However, after finding her elderly neighbor dead and not wanting to let animal control take Matty the cat, Kat decides to adopt Matty. So begins the story of how Kat and Matty begin a life together. Kat also reconnects with Andrew who she spent time growing up in foster care. Andrew is now a Detective and in charge of the murder investigation. Kat and Andrew have a whole story yet to be told. Looking forward to the next book and highly ...more
Denise
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019, own
Kat has barely settled in after moving back to her small hometown of Cherry Hills when she discovers her neigbour, old Mrs. Tinsdale, dead in her apartment. The only witness to Mrs. Tinsdale's murder is her cat Matty, whom Kat promptly takes in. But how do you get a cat to point out a murderer? Looks like Kat will just have to snoop around herself.

This was a very cute, short cozy mystery read. I was suitably entertained and my cats approve.
Sharon
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love cozy stories because they are usually fun to read, have adorable characters, and a great setting. Paige Sleuth has all this and more. It's a good story with a fun mystery involving a cat. The only thing I would like to see more of from this mystery is a little more of the investigation of how the murderer was found. But, all in all, an enjoyable story. I will go on to read more of this series.
Paula
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Kat Harper finds the body of her neighbor, Mrs. Tinsdale and she's determined to help solve the mystery. She takes in Mrs. Tinsdale's cat, Matilda, and wonders if somehow the cat can help her find the killer. Despite discouragement from a childhood friend, Kat follows the clues to the killer.

The was a fun, quick cozy mystery. It is an excellent choice if you want a short, lighthearted read. Highly recommended.

Jenny T.
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This is the 1st book in the Cozy Cat Caper Mystery series set in Cherry Hills, WA. Kat Harper tries to return a cat to her neighbor, Mrs. Tinsdale, only to find a dead body. Likable characters, but a very simple plot in this short story. I liked that the main character is named Kat and that the cat is named Matty (Matilda).
Tracy Schiller
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book read more like a Young Adult short story than an actual murder mystery. There was no complexity at all and the protagonist solved the mystery with very few, very obvious clues.

It had the potential to be an entertaining series, but if all of the books are this simplistic, I think I’ll pass.
Micky Cox
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting characters with unique personalities, including the cat! An intriguing plot to entertain and keep you turning pages. The villain was a bit obvious, but that did not detract from the story. I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters progress and the storylines unfold in future books.
Linda Nelson
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I found the book by accident and I am glad I found it. I loved the plot and story and it having a cat involved made it even better. Loved it and will continue reading the other books in the series.
Sylvia Jensen
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this

This was a fun book to read! It is clean and hard to put down! I enjoyed the characters and look forward to reading another in this series!Definitely recommend this book!
Charlene Davis
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cat Lover's d

Adorable story. Quick read. If your a fast reader, you could finish in an hour. Not a stress book. Easy and comfortable not like the psycho killer books, that I also read.
Sue Cullins
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful cozy mystery

This is another cozy mystery that I loved. I really liked Kat and Andrew. I hope that they get together soon. I have three cats of my own, so I enjoy reading about cats. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading a good clean cozy mystery.
Linda Caldwell
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story line! Very well written with a great cast of characters.

This book kept my interest at all times that I didn't want to put it down. It is not one of those stories where you know immediately 'who done it' and it all flows perfectly. Thank you!
Ngdecker
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Since my life is rather stressful at the moment, I haven't read too much and then enjoy light books. This was perfect for that, as it is a cute cat mystery and only 100 pages. My library is named Cherry Hills, so that's why I noticed it on the shelf!
eswina
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Good short read

Very basic plot and characters. Cat idiosyncrasies added to the humour in the book. I expected more from an experienced writer, this would be a good start for a new writer.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cupcakes, Bats, and Scaredy Cats (An Annie Graceland Cozy Mystery Book 6)
  • Breezy Friends and Bodies (Raina Sun Mystery #3)
  • A Berry Clever Corpse (Kylie Berry #3)
  • Deadly Chapel (Skegness Seaside #1)
  • A Hopeless Murder (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 1)
  • Paramour Bay Mysteries Books 1-3 (Paramour Bay Mysteries Boxset Book 1)
  • Ice Cream Murder (Lexy Baker #9)
  • Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery #6)
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Cozy Halloween Cozy Mystery Boxed Set
  • Wolves of Wisteria (Wisteria Witches Mysteries - City Hall, #1)
  • A Set of Sisters: A We Sisters Three Box Set (Books 1-3)
  • Lattes and Lies (Comics and Coffee Case Files Book 2)
  • A Stoneybrook Mystery Collection: A Cozy Mystery Box Set Books 1-3
  • Murder Above the Fold (Elder Witch Cozy Mystery #1)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • The Babbling Brook Naked Poker Club (Book One)
Paige Sleuth is a pseudonym for mystery author Marla Bradeen. She plots murder during the day and fights for mattress space with her two rescue cats at night. When not attending to her cats' demands, she writes. She loves to hear from readers, and welcomes emails at paige.sleuth@yahoo.com.

Please join her readers' group so she can keep in touch.

Cozy Cat Caper Mystery (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Framed in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #2)
  • Poisoned in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #3)
  • Vanished in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #4)
  • Shot in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #5)
  • Strangled in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #6)
  • Halloween in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #7)
  • Stabbed in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #8)
  • Thanksgiving in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #9)
  • Frozen in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #10)
  • Hit and Run in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #11)