Start by marking “Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)

Dead Voices

(Small Spaces #2)

Bestselling author Katherine Arden returns with another creepy, spine-tingling adventure in this follow-up to the critically acclaimed Small Spaces.

Having survived sinister scarecrows and the malevolent smiling man in Small Spaces, newly minted best friends Ollie, Coco, and Brian are ready to spend a relaxing winter break skiing together with their parents at Mount Hemlock
Published August 27th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dead Voices, please sign up.
Katherine Arden No, there are going to be four. One set in the fall, one in the winter, one in spring and one in summer
Cara Yeah I was too. However it gave the readers a good chance to learn more about Coco. For me it made me realize how brave she could be. And by taking Br…moreYeah I was too. However it gave the readers a good chance to learn more about Coco. For me it made me realize how brave she could be. And by taking Brian out for a while it showed how close Ollie and Coco became. (less)

Start your review of Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
Melanie
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

ARC provided by Penguin in exchange for an honest review.

1.) Small Spaces ★★★★★

I don't have words, only tears.
Also... this comes out on my birthday? The blessings.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
emma
pro: ghosts!!!!
con: not scary.

review to come / 2.5 stars

-----------

i am ready to be embarrassingly scared.

spooky buddy read with lily
Shruti
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dead Voices is the second book in the Small Spaces series by Katherine Arden. In this book, we're reunited with best friends Ollie Adler, Coco Zintner and Brian Battersby, after they survived the terrifying circumstances of the first book, Small Spaces. Every book in the series has a seasonal theme—Small Spaces was autumn themed whereas Dead Voices is winter themed. Thanks to Arden's magnificent writing, you find yourself admiring the beauty of winter but also feel the eeriness that accompanies ...more
jade
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the goosebumps series & atmospheric middle-grade horror
Recommended to jade by: Shannon { Magical Wonder of Books }
“i believe in memory. i believe in remembering someone you love so well that it becomes kind of like a ghost. you remember someone so hard that it feels like they're in the next room, just around the corner, that they could walk in any minute.”

after a thoroughly autumn-themed spat with scarecrows in small spaces, we now follow our trio of eleven-year-olds grappling with ghosts during the winter season!

still shaken after the events of two months ago, ollie, coco, and brian are looking
sarah
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Perhaps only to frighten us. Weaken us. Ghosts like it when you’re afraid. It means you acknowledge them.”

Dead Voices is the sequel to middle grade paranormal/horror book Small Spaces. Small Spaces quickly became one of my favourites of the genre after reading it, so I was really excited to see what I would think of the second instalment. While I still like Small Smalls more, this was a solid second book and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the series holds in store for us.

Each book cent
Rachel Reads Ravenously
A great middle grade horror series. Arden does a splendid job of balancing the genre for a younger audience. I got goosebumps reading this! I cannot wait for more books in the series.
h o l l i s
Well hello, I’m delightfully creeped out right now.

DEAD VOICES reunites us with the trio from SMALL SPACES, Arden’s first in this middle grade fantasy and paranormal horror mystery series. They survived the creepy scarecrows and fall-themed maze, they survived the Smiling Man, and now they are off to vacation at a ski resort during the holidays. But the vacation ends up being less hot chocolates and fun in the snow and more snowstorms and failing heat, hauntings and danger.

Since October, none of
Virginie
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Katherine Arden is so talented to tell atmospheric stories!

The second book of the series wasn't as amazing as the first one, but it was entertaining and, according to me, scarier. Some parts made me shiver or jump even if it's written for children. The snow, the cold, the old lodge, the stuffed animals and, obviously, the ghosts... so spooky!

The last third of the book was a bit repetitive, that's why I rate it 3.5, but I'm gonna round it up since the first 70% would deserve 4 stars.

I can't wait
Katerina  Kondrenko
9 out of 10

That was even better than the first book! Creepy as hell. Didn't like a certain twist, 'cause I expected this installment to be more independent and self-developed, but this detail didn't spoil my fun after all. Love Arden's writing style, btw.
Kimberly
Ollie, Coco and Brian reunite for another supernatural adventure in Dead Voices. Normally, my experiences with the second book in a series is not always good, however I'm happy to be able to say that Dead Voices is every bit as good as Small Spaces. Katherine Arden manages to deliver a story that is both spooky and heart warming. The writing was atmospheric and the story was tense and I loved to see how the characters work together. I would definitely recommend it to children and adults alike. ...more
Trish
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this three days ago already but just didn't find the time for a review. *sighs*

This is the second book about Ollie and Coco and Brian, the kids who already encountered "the smiling man" along with some pretty horrible scarecrows in the first book.
Here, they are going on a skiing vacation together with their parents. Naturally, the events of the previous book still haunt them (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) in the form of nightmares. So it's no surprise that at first they don't think
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a fantastic haunted house story for the middle-grade set but it should appeal to a wide range of readers. This is the second book in the Small Spaces series but it could be read as a stand-alone despite the fact that events from the first book are discussed. I really enjoyed the spooky feel that this story had and found that I was really eager to see how things would work out. All in all, I thought this was a well-done novel
Ivonne Rovira
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens seeking a good fright
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Best friends Olivia “Ollie” Adler, Coco Zintner and Brian Battersby head to a Vermont ski lodge called Mount Hemlock Resort. (Their parents should have known better than to spend winter break at a place with a literally poisonous name.) Be that as it may, the newly opened ski lodge was once a dreadful orphanage complete with a terrifying black-clad nun named Mother Hemlock. Unless Ollie, Coco and Brian prove resourceful and clever, the brave trio may well be Mother Hemlock’s next victims!

Author
cutesyreader ツ
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was waaayy creepier than the first book.
Bradley
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, horror, 2020-shelf
While I liked this one a little less than Small Spaces, it did have the benefit of already-established characters and a slight progression in the greater mystery of the Smiling Man.

Overall, however, it's mostly just a slightly creepy ghost story with slightly powerful mirrors and party games.

Not that this is a BAD thing, but it's NOT scary. It's rather Disney-Level. Of course, that's often the expectation with any MG book, no?

(Yes, I know of many examples where MG does not equate with mild.) Thi
Samantha
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This paled in comparison to its brilliant predecessor, Small Spaces, but it’s still a cute and entertaining story.

I had very high expectations for Dead Voices because I LOVED Small Spaces, but where that was richly atmospheric and unique, this felt thin and typical of its genre.

Atmosphere is what Katherine Arden does best, and while there’s more of that here than in your typical middle grade book, the spooky, hauntingly magical feel of Small Spaces and The Bear and the Nightengale trilogy is a
Alisa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my most anticipated books of the year and I was not disappointed. Dead voices actually felt even creepier that Small Spaces. This second book in a series had Coco as a main focus and so we get to know and understand her a lot better. Also,there was a character named Voland. I see what you did there,Katherine Arden,and I love it. Can't wait for book three. ...more
andrea caro
God, I love this series. RTC.
Chocolate
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
How is a middle grade novel creepy?? The first half was a lot better/more ominous but the second half was still good.

Rachel (Kalanadi)
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, horror
Added a whole star because I found it genuinely scary 😂
Juli
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Small Spaces....so jumped right on this second book in the series. After surviving evil scarecrows and The Smiling Man, Ollie, Cocoa and Brian are trying to put their lives back together. A ski trip seems the perfect get-away to help them get back on track. But Mount Hemlock turns out to be a hauntingly horrific place.

I have to be honest and say that I didn't enjoy this second story as much as I did Small Spaces. I'm not saying I didn't like it...I did. I just didn't love it. The first b
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪

Ouch! I didn't like this book at all and that hurt... Arden is one of my favourite authors and I loved the first book in the series so much... but this one just didn't work. I skipped though the pages because I just couldn't wait for it to end. I get this is a children's book, but the first one was great for an adult too. This one... was one percent story and the rest was just fillers. I mean, descriptions of people making pancakes and stuff like that. And, I mean... a Ouija board? Seriously, g
Angela
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ollie and her friends are back on another adventure - and this time, they're snowed in at a ski resort that's haunted by a vengeful ghost! Can Ollie and her friends survive another night, and escape the wrath of both the ghost - and a past that's unwilling to let them go free?

Chilling, creepy, and fun, Dead Voices is a suspenseful ghost story with a twist you won't see coming!
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
4.5 Stars

Dead Voices definitely raised the bar on the creepy scale. But *dramatic pause* it also quickly engaged me and had me just as freaked out, excited, scared and ready to jump in to fight as the trio was. I loved that Ollie, Coco and Brian are back and can’t wait to see more of them in books to come!

If you haven’t read Small Spaces, I would recommend starting there first. A few of that story’s events and characters bleeds through to this one and you’ll be more in the know if you’ve read th
lexi ✨
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"when you're scared, it means you're thinking of the future. you're thinking of what might happen. if you're doing something risky, you can't think of the future. you must only think of now. and if you only think of now, then you won't be scared."

such a strong read to start off january 2021!!
it was the perfect winter wonderland horror & i was honestly shocked at how fast paced the story was & how it always kept me on edge. it was a fairly short read, but it was the perfect length to capture ev
Rae
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Penguin Random House for the always welcome opportunity to read and review this ARC and for the chance to be a part of the spooky Blog Tour for Dead Voices!

That being said, Please go check out my Blog Tour post for this spooky book on 8/28. You can find the post on the blog vicariouslyvoraciously.com , thanks in advance to all those who check it out!

_____________________________

I have been a fan of Katherine Arden ever since I read The Bear and the Nightingale and fell in love with
Obsidian
I feel bad for not liking this one as much as the first book. I think that Arden should either have kept the story focused entirely on Coco, or just kept it with Ollie. Swinging back and forth (and not including Brian) hurt the flow of the story. Also there's a lot happening in the story and there are way too many loose ends that are not tied up by the end of the book. Pretty much guarantees there has to be a third (or who knows how many books) to tie things up. I think the setting of this one h ...more
lauren ♡
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! this was so fun and honestly super creepy??? i listened to parts of the audiobook at night and ngl it made me jump-y 😂😂 i feel like i missed some things because im a tiny bit confused ??? really didn’t effect my overall experience though and know it was probably just me being distracted. i think the ending was a lil rushed too, but i just wanted more!!!! i can’t wait for the next book!!!
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
After loving the first book I was eager to continue on with this middle grade horror series. Unfortunately, this one did not work as well for me. The winter atmosphere was not as well established as the Halloween/fall setting in the first book. I also struggled with the parts of the stories told from Coco who was a much weaker character than Ollie. I’m not sure if I will continue on with the series if another book comes out.

• Scritch Scratch
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Nightbooks
  • Men and Monsters (Nightfall, #2)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Bridge of Souls (Cassidy Blake, #3)
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • The Crossover
  • It Rained Warm Bread
  • The Very, Very Far North
  • All the Impossible Things
  • Hollow Kingdom (Hollow Kingdom, #1)
  • The Girl Who Sailed the Stars
  • The Collected Works of Gretchen Oyster
  • A Box of Bones
  • The Lady Rogue
  • A Swirl of Ocean
See top shelves…
A note to everyone who trips and falls upon my Goodreads page. First, welcome. Let us read and discuss all the books together. I review books I've read, everything gets five stars, if I didn't like it I don't put it up.

Second, Goodreads is wondrous, but contacting me through my Goodreads DMs is a good way to ensure a long wait for a reply. Your best bet is Twitter or Instagram (arden_katherine) on

Small Spaces (4 books)
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Dark Waters (Small Spaces, #3)
  • Untitled (Small Spaces, #4)