Start by marking “Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)

Dead Voices

(Small Spaces #2)

Bestselling author Katherine Arden returns with another creepy, spine-tingling adventure in this follow-up to the critically acclaimed Small Spaces.

Having survived sinister scarecrows and the malevolent smiling man in Small Spaces, newly minted best friends Ollie, Coco, and Brian are ready to spend a relaxing winter break skiing together with their parents at Mount Hemlock
Expected publication: August 27th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

• Dead Voices by Katherine Arden
    Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
    Release date: Jul 27, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win an advance reading copy of DEAD VOICES, the sequel to SMALL SPACES by bestselling author Katherine Arden!

(No PO boxes please

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2716 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 02 - Aug 26, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Dead Voices, please sign up.
    Katherine Arden No, there are going to be four. One set in the fall, one in the winter, one in spring and one in summer

Melanie
    Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read

ARC provided by Penguin in exchange for an honest review.

1.) Small Spaces ★★★★★

I don't have words, only tears.
    Also... this comes out on my birthday? The blessings.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
    Katerina Kondrenko
    9 out of 10

That was even better than the first book! Creepy as hell. Didn't like a certain twist, 'cause I expected this installment to be more independent and self-developed, but this detail didn't spoil my fun after all. Love Arden's writing style, btw.
    andrea caro
    God, I love this series. RTC.
    Samantha
    Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    This paled in comparison to its brilliant predecessor, Small Spaces, but it’s still a cute and entertaining story.

I had very high expectations for Dead Voices because I LOVED Small Spaces, but where that was richly atmospheric and unique, this felt thin and typical of its genre.

Atmosphere is what Katherine Arden does best, and while there’s more of that here than in your typical middle grade book, the spooky, hauntingly magical feel of Small Spaces and The Bear and the Nightengale trilogy is a
    kath | novelandfolk
    Aug 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Favourite author, favourite middle grade series, favourite misfit kids battling v. spooky things. I am READY.

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
    Sami
    Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Another creeptastic middle grade novel from Katherine Arden! Dead Voices takes our clever crew to a haunted ski resort and face-to-face with new enemies and old enemies alike. Ollie, Coco, and Brian's friendship is every bit as layered and complex as a real friend group, and the added mystery of Ollie's watch keeps the story going. This is easily becoming my favorite mystery series and I can't wait for what comes next.
    Emily G
    Dec 08, 2018 marked it as anticipated-releases
    I got to hear Katherine talk about this book when she was in Toronto last fall and it sounds AWESOME. can't wait!
    Dwan Dawson-Tape
    Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Katherine Arden tells a great spooky story, one that remembers the personhood of her characters, no matter their age. Genuinely scary without being too scary or leaving her characters agentless against the dark and terrifying. I look forward to the next in the series!
    Kathie
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A great scary sequel to SMALL SPACES!
    Mugdha
    May 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: horror, mystery
    Small spaces part 2 count me in
    Heather
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc
    I got an ARC of this book at a conference. I enjoy this middle grade series. It reminds me of liking to read horror books at that age by RL Stine and Christopher Pike. It was a very fun read.
    Jackie ϟ Bookseller
    Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: read-arcs
    ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Even better than the first one! Review to come.
    Ms. Yingling
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Coco, Ollie and Brian are glad to be going skiing with Coco's mom and Ollie's dad, who has won a trip to a new ski resort called Mount Hemlock in Vermont. The weather is horrible, and the car trip is difficult because of all the snow on the roads. At one point, Coco thinks she sees a man in the middle or the road, but no one else does. When they finally arrive, the owners, Sam and Sue Wilson, tell them that the power and the generator are out, but they have some t
    Erised Moon
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: Fans of Goosebumps series
    Shelves: my-reviews
    Ooh, creepy af. This book is definitely scarier than the first book, although in a more traditional sense? I do feel the first book slightly trumps in complexity and originality. That said, another great installment! Can't wait for the third one.

Pros I noticed:
    - I like how we follow more of Coco's POV in this book.
    - Interesting development between the parents... :)
    - This series doesn't rely on just the creep factor, but also the emotional one. We're constantly learning about these characters an
    Evan Johnson
    May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I had the pleasure of reading the latest installment of Katherine Arden's Small Spaces series as an ARC. After enjoying the first book set in autumn Vermont, I was excited that she'd chosen to not only keep the setting in the Green Mountain State, but also follow the cycle of seasons with a dilapidated ski resort at the end of long road as the site for the next adventure.

On a ski trip to the newly opened Mount Hemlock Ski Area, a nor'easter buries the region, leaving main character Ollie, her fa
    Kidlitter
    May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A DRC was provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Remember what Seth said to Ollie in Small Spaces? “Wherever you go in this big, gorgeous, hideous world, there is a ghost story waiting for you.” Well, Katherine Arden has brought us another great - and I mean GREAT - ghost story in this second book in the Small Spaces series. No spoilers here but this middle grade horror book will chill tweens to the bone, and introduce to them to some of the classic tropes of the genre. O
    Jennifer Hill
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is the second in the Small Spaces series (blog post here SMALL SPACES). Ollie, Coco and Brian are headed on a ski trip with Ollie's dad and Coco's mom. Ollie's dad won the trip through work to a brand new ski resort, Hemlock Lodge. As they travel there is a snow storm occurring and the trip is treacherous, but they finally make it. As they get settled in for the night both Coco and Ollie have dreams about a ghost girl named Gretel, who is looking for her bones. They also discover another bo ...more
    Abby Johnson
    AHHH I LOVED SMALL SPACES AND THIS ONE IS JUST AS GOOD.

I definitely think this sequel stands alone enough to be read separately (although I do not know why you would deny yourself the experience of reading Small Spaces). It takes place after the events in Small Spaces as new best friends Ollie, Coco, and Brian head to a remote ski lodge for winter break in the middle of a devastating snow storm. When they get there, they start having nightmares (not unusual for them, tbh), hearing strange thing
    Beth
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I read Small Spaces and *loved* it - so I was really excited to see Dead Voices and to get back into that world again. This time, we find Ollie, Coco, and Brian headed up to a ski resort for a weekend of skiing with Ollie's dad and Coco's mom. They hit a snow storm on the way up, and end up snowed in at the resort. And while they've been happy to put the past behind them, they don't realize that maybe the past has not put THEM behind *it*.

This time, the main perspective (though as before, all th
    Krys
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
    ***
    Dead Voices, the follow up to Katherine Arden’s Small Spaces, finds Ollie and her friends going to a ski lodge over winter and encountering the supernatural again. Strange things keep happening, and with the ghost of a girl calling for help Ollie, Coco and Brian find themselves knee deep in it all as they look to keep themselves safe and make it out together.
    I loved, loved, loved this. These ar
    Victoria
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I was able to get my hands on an ARC. I loved the first book, Small Spaces, a lot, so getting to read this made my whole week,

Dead Voices is a really good and creepy sequel. As I was reading it, I thought it was like Stephen King's The Shining. There was the spooky lodge, ghosts, the snow storm trapping everyone inside.

While the location of a lodge and being trapped during a snow storm might not have been as creative as a corn maze and scarecrows, it was well executed . I really enjoyed reading
    Lynn
    Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Our trio of friends finds themselves snowed into a ski lodge. Nothing too scary about that it seems - but wait! Just what was the ski lodge before its rejuvenation? What are the ghostly figures trying to tell them and why has Ollie's watch changed its message?

Wonderful sequel to the outstanding Small Spaces and I am so happy to add that it looks as if there will be more to come.

Arden does a terrific job of creating suspense and just the right amount of creepiness for the middle grade audience. A
    May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: e-arcs
    Excellent follow up to Small Spaces. This story doesn't waste any time rehashing the events of the previous book, but jumps into the action from the get go. The ski cabin Ollie, Coco, and Brian are visiting used to be an abusive orphanage and is swarming with ghosts as a result. The trio must use their wits to best the malevolent forces before the sun rises and they become trapped.
    I like that this series has tense stakes and creepy descriptions, it isn't overly sugarcoated for the age group. I d
    Krysti
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    After reading Small Spaces, I was eagerly waiting for Dead Voices. I have to say that the first book seemed just as creepy as this one. Maybe the fall theme with the scarecrows just set the mood better. This book was set in the winter after winning a trip to a ski resort. There was plenty of action, mystery and suspense and it starred our three little friends, Ollie, Coco and Brian. I think the ending was a little rushed. Not all the loose ends were tied up. I know, that can lead to another inst ...more
    Lisa
    Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Often sequels disappoint, but this was just as great as the first, if not better. Ollie and her friends, Coco and Brian, travel to a Vermont ski resort where they get snowed in. When a ghost hunter arrives, the three friends learn about the history of the resort and the ghosts that haunt it. As the mystery of the resort unravels, Ollie, Coco, and Brian must work together to save themselves from the evil of ghosts and the ghost hunter who they thought they could trust. Just like the first book, t ...more
    Hollis
    I liked this a lot more than SMALL SPACES, or maybe I was just more in the mood for it, but talk about a mood : this story is c r e e p y. Arden uses all her impressive atmospheric skills as seen in The Winternight Trilogy and perfectly captures the brutal harsh creepy winter vibes, plus all the downright spooky scary ghosty vibes, to make this MG mystery an adventure!

Loved it.

Full review to come around release day.

** I received an ARC from the publisher (thank you!) in exchange for an honest re
    Amanda K
    Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Good solid creepy as heck ghost tale for a winter night. I like the puzzle aspect of both this and Small Spaces, reminds me of the best old fairy tales and deals made at crossroads. The trio of kids complement each other nicely and all have their strong points, but also weaknesses where they need their friends to help them out. Would say more, but spoilers are evil. If you like Arden's other books you'll love this one too, read it...and you may want to leave the lights on!
    Gretchen
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A classic haunted house horror novel for the younger set, complete with a ouija board and a murderous ghast of an orphanage headdmistress, this book is even better than its predecessor and builds on the emotional journeys of Ollie, Coco, and Brian. Well-paced, well-written, and refreshingly inclusive of positive child-parent relationships while centering the experiences and agency of the kids. Can't wait for more.
    Delany Holcomb
    May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Katherine Arden has once again brought a tale of fright and friendship to the page with her new book "Dead Voices". Leave the dreaded corn maze behind and join Ollie, Coco, and Brian as they travel to a remote ski resort where nothing is what it seems and the nightmares of their past may still be their present. Middle Grade horror is alive and well in this spooky sequel to "Small Spaces", and is a fun and twisting tale for all ages that you don't want to miss!
    May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arcs, middle-grade
    I’m thrilled SMALL SPACES now has a sequel! This next chilling installment has all of our favorite characters from the first book. Ollie, Coco, and Brian have even more terrifying obstacles to overcome, including a haunted ski lodge, and complicated puzzles from an old foe. As in SMALL SPACES, the trio rely on their friendship, strength, and mysterious watch to overcome darkness and peril. This book is action packed with creepiness that middle grade readers will surely enjoy.
    A note to everyone who trips and falls upon my Goodreads page. First, welcome. Let us read and discuss all the books together. Second, Goodreads is wondrous, but contacting me through my Goodreads DMs is a good way to ensure a long wait for a reply. Your best bet is Twitter or Instagram (arden_katherine) on both.

Happy reading.

Born in Texas, Katherine studied French and Russian at Middlebury Coll

Small Spaces (2 books)
    • Small Spaces (Small Spaces #1)