Start by marking “Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)

Dead Voices

(Small Spaces #2)

Bestselling author Katherine Arden returns with another creepy, spine-tingling adventure in this follow-up to the critically acclaimed Small Spaces.

Having survived sinister scarecrows and the malevolent smiling man in Small Spaces, newly minted best friends Ollie, Coco, and Brian are ready to spend a relaxing winter break skiing together with their parents at Mount Hemlock
Expected publication: August 27th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

• Dead Voices by Katherine Arden
    Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
    Release date: Jul 27, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win an advance reading copy of DEAD VOICES, the sequel to SMALL SPACES by bestselling author Katherine Arden!

(No PO boxes please

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 3034 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 02 - Aug 26, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Dead Voices, please sign up.
    Katherine Arden No, there are going to be four. One set in the fall, one in the winter, one in spring and one in summer

Melanie
    Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read

ARC provided by Penguin in exchange for an honest review.

1.) Small Spaces ★★★★★

I don't have words, only tears.
    Also... this comes out on my birthday? The blessings.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
    Katerina Kondrenko
    9 out of 10

That was even better than the first book! Creepy as hell. Didn't like a certain twist, 'cause I expected this installment to be more independent and self-developed, but this detail didn't spoil my fun after all. Love Arden's writing style, btw.
    Hollis
    I liked this a lot more than SMALL SPACES, or maybe I was just more in the mood for it, but talk about a mood : this story is c r e e p y. Arden uses all her impressive atmospheric skills as seen in The Winternight Trilogy and perfectly captures the brutal harsh creepy winter vibes, plus all the downright spooky scary ghosty vibes, to make this MG mystery an adventure!

Loved it.

Full review to come around release day.

** I received an ARC from the publisher (thank you!) in exchange for an honest re
    andrea caro
    God, I love this series. RTC.
    kath | novelandfolk
    Aug 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Favourite author, favourite middle grade series, favourite misfit kids battling v. spooky things. I am READY.

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
    Samantha
    Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    This paled in comparison to its brilliant predecessor, Small Spaces, but it’s still a cute and entertaining story.

I had very high expectations for Dead Voices because I LOVED Small Spaces, but where that was richly atmospheric and unique, this felt thin and typical of its genre.

Atmosphere is what Katherine Arden does best, and while there’s more of that here than in your typical middle grade book, the spooky, hauntingly magical feel of Small Spaces and The Bear and the Nightengale trilogy is a
    Sami
    Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Another creeptastic middle grade novel from Katherine Arden! Dead Voices takes our clever crew to a haunted ski resort and face-to-face with new enemies and old enemies alike. Ollie, Coco, and Brian's friendship is every bit as layered and complex as a real friend group, and the added mystery of Ollie's watch keeps the story going. This is easily becoming my favorite mystery series and I can't wait for what comes next.
    Emily G
    Dec 08, 2018 marked it as anticipated-releases
    I got to hear Katherine talk about this book when she was in Toronto last fall and it sounds AWESOME. can't wait!
    Dwan Dawson-Tape
    Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Katherine Arden tells a great spooky story, one that remembers the personhood of her characters, no matter their age. Genuinely scary without being too scary or leaving her characters agentless against the dark and terrifying. I look forward to the next in the series!
    Jackie ϟ Bookseller
    Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: read-arcs
    ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Even better than the first one! Review to come.
    Beth
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I read Small Spaces and *loved* it - so I was really excited to see Dead Voices and to get back into that world again. This time, we find Ollie, Coco, and Brian headed up to a ski resort for a weekend of skiing with Ollie's dad and Coco's mom. They hit a snow storm on the way up, and end up snowed in at the resort. And while they've been happy to put the past behind them, they don't realize that maybe the past has not put THEM behind *it*.

This time, the main perspective (though as before, all th
    Kathie
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A great scary sequel to SMALL SPACES!
    Mugdha
    May 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: horror, mystery
    Small spaces part 2 count me in
    Heather
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc
    I got an ARC of this book at a conference. I enjoy this middle grade series. It reminds me of liking to read horror books at that age by RL Stine and Christopher Pike. It was a very fun read.
    Abby Johnson
    AHHH I LOVED SMALL SPACES AND THIS ONE IS JUST AS GOOD.

I definitely think this sequel stands alone enough to be read separately (although I do not know why you would deny yourself the experience of reading Small Spaces). It takes place after the events in Small Spaces as new best friends Ollie, Coco, and Brian head to a remote ski lodge for winter break in the middle of a devastating snow storm. When they get there, they start having nightmares (not unusual for them, tbh), hearing strange thing
    Ms. Yingling
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Coco, Ollie and Brian are glad to be going skiing with Coco's mom and Ollie's dad, who has won a trip to a new ski resort called Mount Hemlock in Vermont. The weather is horrible, and the car trip is difficult because of all the snow on the roads. At one point, Coco thinks she sees a man in the middle or the road, but no one else does. When they finally arrive, the owners, Sam and Sue Wilson, tell them that the power and the generator are out, but they have some t
    Rae
    Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arcs
    Thank you to Penguin Random House for the always welcome opportunity to read and review this ARC and for the chance to be a part of the spooky Blog Tour for Dead Voices!

That being said, Please go check out my Blog Tour post for this spooky book on 8/28. You can find the post on the blog vicariouslyvoraciously.com , thanks in advance to all those who check it out!

_____________________________

I have been a fan of Katherine Arden ever since I read The Bear and the Nightingale and fell in love with
    Erised Moon
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: Fans of Goosebumps series
    Shelves: my-reviews
    Ooh, creepy af. This book is definitely scarier than the first book, although in a more traditional sense? I do feel the first book slightly trumps in complexity and originality. That said, another great installment! Can't wait for the third one.

Pros I noticed:
    - I like how we follow more of Coco's POV in this book.
    - Interesting development between the parents... :)
    - This series doesn't rely on just the creep factor, but also the emotional one. We're constantly learning about these characters an
    Evan Johnson
    May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I had the pleasure of reading the latest installment of Katherine Arden's Small Spaces series as an ARC. After enjoying the first book set in autumn Vermont, I was excited that she'd chosen to not only keep the setting in the Green Mountain State, but also follow the cycle of seasons with a dilapidated ski resort at the end of long road as the site for the next adventure.

On a ski trip to the newly opened Mount Hemlock Ski Area, a nor'easter buries the region, leaving main character Ollie, her fa
    Kidlitter
    May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A DRC was provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Remember what Seth said to Ollie in Small Spaces? “Wherever you go in this big, gorgeous, hideous world, there is a ghost story waiting for you.” Well, Katherine Arden has brought us another great - and I mean GREAT - ghost story in this second book in the Small Spaces series. No spoilers here but this middle grade horror book will chill tweens to the bone, and introduce to them to some of the classic tropes of the genre. O
    Nannette Demmler
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: middle-grade
    ARC provided by Penguin Group via NetGalley for an honest review.
    Wow, I thought that Small Spaces was creepy and scary, but this new story is perhaps even scarier. The ghosts are creepier and the setting is quite spooky. I can’t wait to tell my students about it and get it into their hands.

Ollie, Coco and Brian are all back, having survived their ordeal in the corn maze and with the Smiling Man. But now they are stuck in a haunted lodge with some seriously creepy ghosts. This book is told from b
    Jennifer Hill
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is the second in the Small Spaces series (blog post here SMALL SPACES). Ollie, Coco and Brian are headed on a ski trip with Ollie's dad and Coco's mom. Ollie's dad won the trip through work to a brand new ski resort, Hemlock Lodge. As they travel there is a snow storm occurring and the trip is treacherous, but they finally make it. As they get settled in for the night both Coco and Ollie have dreams about a ghost girl named Gretel, who is looking for her bones. They also discover another bo ...more
    Angie Crabtree-Liezel and Angie's Book Blog
    What a great follow up to Small Spaces! I loved it just as much as I did the first. I’m so excited to see where book 3 will take us!

This story was more about Coco. It still had Brian and Ollie. It wouldn’t been as good if it didn’t. This was about her stepping out of the shadows and becoming stronger and believing in herself. It showed that she would do anything for her friends and nothing was going to be on her way.

I read this book straight through. It took me a little over an hour to finish
    Eileen
    I really loved this one! In this second installment (I believe there will be 4), Olivia, Coco and Brian have to escape from the clutches of (no spoilers) some evil people, but this time, they are stranded in a haunted ski lodge in the middle of a snow storm with very little power (weak generators). In some ways, it wasn't quite as creepy as the first one, but I think that's partly because I knew what to expect. Although the thought of all the dead animals was pretty creepy for me. WHY do people ...more
    Krys
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
    ***
    Dead Voices, the follow up to Katherine Arden’s Small Spaces, finds Ollie and her friends going to a ski lodge over winter and encountering the supernatural again. Strange things keep happening, and with the ghost of a girl calling for help Ollie, Coco and Brian find themselves knee deep in it all as they look to keep themselves safe and make it out together.
    I loved, loved, loved this. These ar
    Victoria
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I was able to get my hands on an ARC. I loved the first book, Small Spaces, a lot, so getting to read this made my whole week,

Dead Voices is a really good and creepy sequel. As I was reading it, I thought it was like Stephen King's The Shining. There was the spooky lodge, ghosts, the snow storm trapping everyone inside.

While the location of a lodge and being trapped during a snow storm might not have been as creative as a corn maze and scarecrows, it was well executed . I really enjoyed reading
    Lynn
    Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Our trio of friends finds themselves snowed into a ski lodge. Nothing too scary about that it seems - but wait! Just what was the ski lodge before its rejuvenation? What are the ghostly figures trying to tell them and why has Ollie's watch changed its message?

Wonderful sequel to the outstanding Small Spaces and I am so happy to add that it looks as if there will be more to come.

Arden does a terrific job of creating suspense and just the right amount of creepiness for the middle grade audience. A
    May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: e-arcs
    Excellent follow up to Small Spaces. This story doesn't waste any time rehashing the events of the previous book, but jumps into the action from the get go. The ski cabin Ollie, Coco, and Brian are visiting used to be an abusive orphanage and is swarming with ghosts as a result. The trio must use their wits to best the malevolent forces before the sun rises and they become trapped.
    I like that this series has tense stakes and creepy descriptions, it isn't overly sugarcoated for the age group. I d
    Krysti
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    After reading Small Spaces, I was eagerly waiting for Dead Voices. I have to say that the first book seemed just as creepy as this one. Maybe the fall theme with the scarecrows just set the mood better. This book was set in the winter after winning a trip to a ski resort. There was plenty of action, mystery and suspense and it starred our three little friends, Ollie, Coco and Brian. I think the ending was a little rushed. Not all the loose ends were tied up. I know, that can lead to another inst ...more
    Lisa
    Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Often sequels disappoint, but this was just as great as the first, if not better. Ollie and her friends, Coco and Brian, travel to a Vermont ski resort where they get snowed in. When a ghost hunter arrives, the three friends learn about the history of the resort and the ghosts that haunt it. As the mystery of the resort unravels, Ollie, Coco, and Brian must work together to save themselves from the evil of ghosts and the ghost hunter who they thought they could trust. Just like the first book, t ...more
    A note to everyone who trips and falls upon my Goodreads page. First, welcome. Let us read and discuss all the books together. Second, Goodreads is wondrous, but contacting me through my Goodreads DMs is a good way to ensure a long wait for a reply. Your best bet is Twitter or Instagram (arden_katherine) on both.

Happy reading.

Born in Texas, Katherine studied French and Russian at Middlebury Coll

Small Spaces (2 books)
    • Small Spaces (Small Spaces #1)