Start by marking “Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)

Red Rising

(Red Rising Saga #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  206,188 ratings  ·  22,535 reviews
This Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition features new deluxe jacket featuring the iconic Howlers emblem and contains full-color printed endpapers, 5 all-new black-and-white illustrations by acclaimed artist Magali Villeneuve, and an exclusive new preface from Pierce Brown.

“I live for the dream that my children will be born free,” she says. “That they will be what they
Hardcover, Barnes & Noble exclusive edition, 388 pages
Published October 23rd 2018 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Red Rising, please sign up.
Kristine I'm a professional format editor. I can tell you from experience that the same text translated from English to Spanish takes up more space. Not sure…moreI'm a professional format editor. I can tell you from experience that the same text translated from English to Spanish takes up more space. Not sure if it's because their words tend to be longer, or if it's all the masculine and feminine articles that we don't use in English that add in more words, but there you have it. (less)
Wendy Bloink Pinks are sterilized in order to create new pinks they are created in a lab. It explains in detail in the novels I recommend reading them.. If…morePinks are sterilized in order to create new pinks they are created in a lab. It explains in detail in the novels I recommend reading them.. If re-reading to find your answers (less)

·  206,188 ratings  ·  22,535 reviews

Start your review of Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5
“Darrow. Come here. Come.” He grabs my shoulder and pulls me in. “Others may have failed. But you’ll be different, Darrow. I feel it in my bones.”
I'm sorry, was I supposed to feel something?

I suppose boredom is a feeling. Not a single tear was shed. Not for a single instance was a single emotion heightened. It was by no means a bad book, but the message got lost in the telling, and there is just. So. Much. Telling. The writing is fantastic, but the plot just didn't work for
Navessa
*I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review and honestly? I BLOODYDAMN LOVED IT*

You think you’ve read a dystopian book? Quit lying to yourself. That was teenage angst wrapped in a shiny new package, cashing in on the popularity of this genre.

You think you’ve read about evil futuristic regimes? Nope, those were one dimensional villains that will look cartoony compared the assholes in this book.

You think you’ve seen hurt and suffering and despair and heartache? You’ve seen nothing.

You
Rick Riordan
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Minor spoilers follow) Red Rising introduces us to Darrow, a sixteen-year-old miner who toils deep in the mines of Mars a few hundred years in the future. In Darrow's world, humanity has spread across the solar system, and has been organized into a strict caste system of colors, with Gold at the top and Red at the bottom. Darrow is a Red, but he is making the most of his hard life in the mines. He is good at his work. He has a beautiful wife Eo (they get married young and die young down in the ...more
Patrick
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Red Rising because a *lot* of the people at Worldbuilders were goofy over the books, and, by extension, the author Pierce Brown.

Earlier this year, when I went to a convention where he was going to be in attendance, the Worldbuilders team told me that if I didn't capture Pierce like a Pokemon and bring him back to the office with me, I shouldn't bother coming home at all....

I got to hang out with Pierce there, and he was irritatingly polite, witty, and charming. That, combined with
Emily May
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2013, arc
“I am the Reaper and death is my shadow.”

2 1/2 stars. Red Rising isn't really a bad book - 2.5 stars still means halfway between "it was ok" and "I liked it", after all. And many other reviews will tell you how amazing most people found it, but I struggled to locate the magic that so many other people seem to have found within its pages.

Red Rising is considered and marketed as dystopian/sci-fi, which technically it is, but it reads with a dense wordiness that is reminiscent of high fantasy
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
BIGGGGGG DNF

Holy effing hell, people.

Or should. I say. Holy. Effing. Helldiver.

All I can say is...

description

Seriously though, I was expecting some uber Sci-Fi awesomeness here and I feel like I got shafted with some broke ass YA that took itself waaaaaaay too seriously without having any actual sincerity.

There is NO way I could have been reading the same book as everyone else.

That's gotta be it.

My local library must have accidentally supplied me with the staccato-speak, melodramatic version of this
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread

UPDATE:OMG! Look at the new B&N hardback edition! I can't even people! There is some artwork inside too but the cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first read the book I must have been on crack, because it went from 4 stars to 5 and my favorites list! It's bloodydamn awesome! Let me just say the second time around listening to it on audio was fanfreakingtastic! The narrator nails it and there is a song in the book and a woman sings it at the end and I got
Miranda Reads
description

“Break the chains, my love.”
Darrow has lived his entire life underground.

He lives, breaths and works thousands of meters below the surface as part of the "Reds" (lowest caste of his society) whose task is to teraform Mars for the generations to come.

Despite the cold, the dark and the damp, he is happy.

His society is poor in food but rich in love, dance and song. He married Eo, the love of his life, and they are ready to start a family.

But then, he learns.

He learns that humanity is already on
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
5/3/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

1/27/16 - Updated Review:

Pierce Brown would be a Gold in the society he built, and it kind of pisses me off.

This is the third time I've read RED RISING, it's the first time I've read it since reading GOLDEN SON, and, more than ever, I'm convinced he's a bloodydamn genius.

AND he's beautiful.

It's not fair.

You don't get to be brilliant AND talented AND have those eyes AND those arms:

You're welcome.

In heels, I might be taller than him, but who the
Dorreh
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like The Martian marries the hunger games, then the hunger games gets into an affair with the game of Thrones.
I think that speaks for itself, but let's elaborate further just for the sake of my sanity shall we??

I want to first of all point out what really gripped me in this book, because even though I liked it very much, I was 30% confusion, 20% outrage, 50% admiration. I'm not to great at math, but thats a 100% of how I felt. The gripping part to me was not the romance( which was pretty
Petrik
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fi & Dystopian fans
4.5/5 Stars

Buddy reading this with my favorites:
Sweet Mary, Sister Sarah, Tweebie, Jennymort, Innocent May

Let’s get the two most asked questions about this book out of the way first.

1. Is this book geared towards YA audience?
No, it’s not. The only thing in this book that fits the YA genre is that Darrow’s (The MC) age starts at 16 years old in the beginning, that’s it. Everything else; the writing, plot, themes, and world-building, in my opinion, belongs in the adult territory.

2. Is this book
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Brave pioneers, always remember that obedience is the highest virtue. Above all, obedience, respect, sacrifice, hierarchy…”

It’s been quite a while I last dove into a science fiction series but “Red Rising” definitely was worth it!

This book was so well made and always forced me to think ahead, to anticipate what would come next and to try to figure out how the MC would handle the situation! Just like Darrow I constantly found myself wondering who was going to stab him in the back and who would
Darth J

Red Rising reads like a 12 year old boy’s fever script for an action movie. It lacks originality and borrows heavily from The Hunger Games. Don’t believe me? Both have a society split up into different fractions, depending on what they provide the world. Both have arenas with teens killing each other, while patrons look on and provide gifts for their favored participants. Both have protagonists who have signature weapons from a hunter/gatherer society. There are a few differences, but it’s the
jessica
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
true confessions: i bought this book because i thought the author was really attractive in his picture on the back cover flap. the interesting synopsis and the fact that 200+ of you have this added on GR also helped, but mainly it was because pierce brown is a total babe. lol.

so what a delightful bonus to also find out this is an absolute wonder of a story. a rough, brutal and vengeful wonder. i could relate to darrow on such a spiritual level - it almost felt as if his emotions were my
Kai
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.”

A man, whose life is about to change in every way possible. From the bones of his body to the colour of his eyes, from the place he lives to the way he talks. He's got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I was incredibly intrigued to start this series. I watched Red Rising go from underrated to hyped and now that the final installment of the series was released, I had to give it a try as well.
I first started the book and put it down
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2nd read:
I'm a dumbass. I fully admit to being a dumbass.

I don't know what the hell I was doing the first time I read this book..because I gave it 3.5 stars. After reading so many shitty books this year I know now what a great book this really is.

This time it gets it's full five stars. Five frigging, huge, screaming stars. Stars for SeVRo, Pax, Mustang and the rest of these characters.

1st read: When I was a dumbass.
Unpopular opinion time. I'm sorry fangirls. I just didn't love this book.

I
Lola
description

This is the kind of book that truly makes you feel somehow...bad for only giving it 2 stars. It’s like it deserves more, even though I didn’t actually enjoy reading it. It’s a weird feeling but I have to face my thoughts: the story was mostly boring and I struggled to finish it.

The weirdest thing is that I LOVED the beginning and where the plot seemed to be going. We met some incredible and unique characters, at that point of the story. I wished for them to be present in it throughout the book.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Mammoth buddy read with my Fantasy Buddy Reads confederates starting Jan. 2, 2015.

Rating: 1.5

Brace yourselves, this is not going to go well.

YES, I only gave this book 1.5 stars when most of you freaks out there gave it a 5 star rating. But it could have been worse and I'm actually marvelling at the fact that I was able to finish the book at all. Granted, I skimmed through most of the last chapters because there is only so much boredom I can take.

First off, let's get something straight: when
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I will rise. I will attend the Academy. I will learn to lead fleets. I will win. I will sharpen myself into a sword. I will give my soul. I will dive to hell in hopes of one day rising to freedom. I will sacrifice.

HOLY CRAP. What a ride. I don't even know where to begin! I knew there had to be a reason why everyone was talking about this series but WOW. Red Rising was really something else. I expected a typical YA "chosen one" type of fantasy novel but this book was so much more complex than
Charlotte May
4.5

Weeks after I started this buddy read with Fares I finally finish way late because I’m useless. Enjoyed reading with you bud - please don't give up buddy reading with me forever!

“I am the spark that will set the worlds afire. I am the hammer that cracks the chains.”

Well bloodydamn! This was fantastic! Full of violence and secrets, politics and betrayals, all tied up with intricate and believable world building.

Darrow is a Red. The Red’s live on Mars and work as miners. It is hard and
megs_bookrack
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars rounded up**

This book is an absolute blessing!!!

I am so thankful that I finally made the choice to pick this up for my Sci-Fi September challenge. I have heard so much about this series, so many raving reviews, so much love, so much hype...

...but, would it work for me? I am late to the party. Maybe the thrill is gone?

Fortunately, for me, I adored this. The beginning, I'll admit, I was on the fence. It started out rather slow and a bit morose but once Darrow meets the Sons of Ares, I
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

ALRIGHT EVERYBODY. HOLD ON TIGHT.

BECAUSE IT’S TIME FOR UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

To my all GR friends who loved this book and/or recommended it to me:
description

I'm really glad you loved it! This just didn't work for me...
description

Pros:

This is brutal. Pierce Brown does a fantastic job of creating a treacherous and gritty world. Almost all dystopias rely on a sense of danger, but most of the characters are safe. Not here. It wasn’t just that characters could die, but there was absolutely no mercy if
Kimi

Holy bloody gory damn shit. This book you guys.

THIS. BOOK.

I feel like Darrow would benefit from some basic life advice so here it goes.

Basic Life Advice 101.
(view spoiler)
Katerina
Darn this book is GOOD!

Pierce Brown is a freaking mastermind. Red Rising is a blend of science-fiction and dystopia with reference to History's greatest conquerors and Greek mythology, and the result is savage.
“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.”

Darrow is a Red, working in the mines below the surface of Mars in order to make Mars inhabitable and secure the future of mankind. Reds are mostly slaves, but he has accepted his fate, thinking he's making sacrifices for
Natasha Polis
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most exciting books I've read in awhile! So glad I finished it now I can talk to Pierce about his book! Book talk coming soon on my channel!
Caz (littlebookowl)
Well. That was a hell of a ride! Fantastic. Action-packed. Love to love, and sometimes hate, all of the characters we meet. I need MORE!

I can't believe it has taken me SO long to get to this series, but I'm so glad I finally have.
Anne
I just did a re-read to prep myself for Golden Son.
*squeals*
For me, it was definitely the right choice.
I would have missed a lot of references...mainly, because my tiny dinosaur brain can't hold onto/recall information like it used to.
So.
Was it still as good as I remembered?

Original 2013 review:

This review can also be seen at Addicted2Heroines.
There's a lot of hype surrounding this book, and for once it's totally deserved.
How often can you really say that?!
When I first started reading it, I
Sana
Initial Reaction:
*screams and throws book across the room*
WTF I WAS SUPPOSED TO LOVE THIS. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AS GOOD AS THE AUTHORS FACE.

I am so disappointed and was not expecting to be DYING OF BOREDOM.

Here is my rant:

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, but when it hit around the 80 page mark, I started to lose interest and get bored. I know, for many people the first 70 or 80 pages were very boring and it got better for them after the 80 page mark. For me it was the other way
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert 18Dec17: I really enjoyed this entire series and today the first book in it is on sale for $1.99 Here

I might have liked this even more the second time through. Fantastic.
 photo highsix_zpsab9390d3.gif

Dystopian novels seem to be a dime a dozen lately, some good, some horrible, so it is great to see a book set itself apart and really capture my imagination. Red Rising is a combination of The Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies if you turned the volume up to 11.

I am the spark that will set the worlds afire. I am
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Red Rising is the oldest ARC I have on my TBR. One of my 2017 goals was to read and review it, because I always felt so much pressure when I'd think about picking it up, because this is such a beloved book in the community.

In this world that takes place in our universe, mostly on Mars, everyone is subdivided into color categories based on their skill sets, income, hair color, and what last name they possess

• The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Skyward (Skyward, #1)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • The Martian
  • Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
Hello. I'm Pierce Brown, the author of the Red Rising Saga, a NYT #1 bestseller. The newest entry, IRON GOLD debuts January 15, 2018.

I figured I'd write you myself than have corporate copy pasted below my totally natural author photo.

In my books you'll find stories of men and women finding their inner strength when all seems lost. You'll also find me exploring themes of power--what it means, why

Red Rising Saga (6 books)
  • Golden Son (Red Rising, #2)
  • Morning Star (Red Rising Saga, #3)
  • Iron Gold (Red Rising Saga, #4)
  • Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5)
  • Untitled (Red Rising Saga, #6)
“You do not follow me because I am the strongest. Pax is. You do not follow me because I am the brightest. Mustang is. You follow me because you do not know where you are going. I do.” 672 likes
“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.” 578 likes