Start by marking “Shadow (Marc Dane #4)” as Want to Read:
Shadow (Marc Dane #4)

Shadow

(Marc Dane #4)

Things are about to go viral in Marc Dane's most dangerous adventure yet . . .

Marc and his partner - former US Delta Force sniper Lucy Keyes - are pitted against their most terrifying challenge yet, when a genius bio-researcher with the ability to create a deadly biological weapon is kidnapped by a ruthless terrorist.

Their desperate search for the missing scientist takes
Kindle Edition
Published May 30th 2019 by Zaffre

To ask other readers questions about Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow

Start your review of Shadow (Marc Dane #4)
Mark
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you like Marc Dane’s adventures then you will enjoy this the 4th book in the series ( Book 5 is due for release end May this year ), this can be read as a stand alone, just, personally though I think it is best read as part and parcel of the series
I loved the first 2 and didnt really engage with Book 3 ( found it very tekkie ) but for me Shadow is back on form
You can only praise the detail that the author goes into with his stories, every page is packed with it,most of it fascinating but it
Lou
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadow marks the return of Marc Dane in the fourth instalment in the series, and we are treated to yet another high-stakes game of cat and mouse where there is never a dull moment and the action just keeps coming. MI6 agent Marc Dane, a computer expert who received an unexpected promotion to active field operative, experiences trial by fire in espionage on every mission he is now put forward for. In a thriller that spans several rich, vivid locations we readers are met with a pacey, race-against ...more
Stephen Clynes
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shadow is the fourth book in the Marc Dane series but can be read as a stand-alone. This time Marc Dane and his workmate Lucy Keyes are on the quest to stop a bioweapon being deployed by a far right extremist political group.

Shadow follows on from the other books in this series and is more of the same. More bad guys, more guns and slaughter plus the continuity of previous characters from earlier novels. Having read each book in the series things are all sounding quite familiar. Even with a gap b
Nick Brett
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book number four in James Swallow’s Marc Dane adventure series. Dane is a Brit with a British Intelligence background as a tech guy, but with some career changes he now works for the off the books organisation Rubicon. And he has trained up to operator level, getting into the action with his partner Lucy.
In this, while Rubicon is under internal investigation the team are chasing down a bio-weapon and having to do so without their usual level of support.
I thought this was the best of the novels t
Daniel Kincaid
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pure hate can lead people to unleash horrible, unspeakable horrors.
That's what Noah Verbeke, the leader of The Lion's Roar, a far-right extremist group, wants to do. He sees every foreigner, refugee, anyone who isn't white, as menace, a disease that needs to be eradicated. He even considers white people who help these people as "Race Traitors". His plan is to unleash a dangerous bio-engineered variant of the Marburg virus, spreading it among those refugees and other "races", and he intends of u
Michelle Ryles
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
I have wanted to read a James Swallow book for a while and as much as I don't like to jump into the middle of series, I decided to start with Shadow, which is book 4 of the Marc Dane series. I can say with conviction that you can most definitely read Shadow as a standalone thriller but I'm even more eager to read the previous books now as there is such an amazing dynamic between the main characters, Marc and Lucy.

Marc Dane is a former MI6 data guy who has been thrust into the action, and there i
Elite Group
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling action with Dane and Keyes

Marc Dane and Lucy Keyes rescued the migrants from Libya in the sea near Italy. They were tasked with saving the scientist in Singapore. Keyes knew Susan Lam, is a North Korean defector who she rescued from the evil regime.

Susan Lam was not the real name when she was abducted from her home. Her husband and son were also kidnapped from their home. The kidnapper told her that he would order the killing of her family unless she made a new biological weapon to wip
Vicky Hughes
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the Marc Dane series so far. Great action, plenty of plot lines and enjoyable character development. A spy novel of the 80’s set in the present, brilliant!
Amanda
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a little, well ok a huge, confession to make. Although I have all of the books in the Marc Dane series, I haven't actually read one of them...…..until now that is. Now I am a bit annoyed that I left it this long to read one. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Shadow' but more about that in a bit.
I developed a bit of a soft spot for ex-MI6 agent Marc Dane, but then I like a dashing, masculine, rugged hero type who saves the world despite having used up more than the nine lives a cat would have.
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth in a series by James Swallow, however this is the first book that I have read by the Author, and I have taken this into consideration when reviewing.

If you are looking for a fast paced, action type of story that may remind you a bit of James bond or Jason Bourne in the type of story it is, then this is certainly one to consider! However I would recommend that you perhaps start from the beginning of the series.

The story DOES WORK as a stand alone book, it can be read and thorou
Leigh
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Marc Dane action thriller series. It’s my first read of this series… although that really didn’t seem to matter at all.

This book doesn’t mess about, and you are hurtled into an action packed opening, swiftly moving between two high pressured and dangerous situations. It’s a relief (and great plotting) to calm down as we are introduced to people on a smuggler’s ship and the plot develops and deepens; it’s not long before the tension and action creeps back. I don’t r
Michael Dodd
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The fourth instalment in Swallow’s Marc Dane series of contemporary thrillers, this offers up another powerfully topical slice of high-stakes drama packed full of action, excitement, great characters and credible threats. When a bio-scientist and her family are kidnapped in Singapore, Dane and partner Lucy Keyes are sent to investigate, and it quickly becomes clear that there’s more to her work – for the Rubicon Group, no less – than it first appears. Meanwhile the escape of a right-wing extremi ...more
Gemma McGee
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shadow is a mixture of Mission Impossible and Jack Ryan where the leading man Marc Dane is the tech guy pushed into the field in an impossible situation. Trying to save the world any means necessary.
Marc has changed a lot throughout the series, taking more and more risks. I think he has become a bit of a danger junkie, who justifies his action as he is trying to save people. I wonder how long Marc luck will last.

Shadow shows the current tension in Europe and this makes it feels like its ground i
Monsieurh
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
James Swallow has done it again and published another top-notch adventure thriller.
This is the fourth novel in the  Marc Dane series of modern action thrillers. A bio-scientist is kidnapped in Singapore and Marc Dane and his partner Lucy Keyes are sent to investigate. Then the escape of a right-wing extremist from Belgian police custody immediately increases the level of danger with each new paragraph. It quickly becomes clear that there’s more to this kidnapping than what immediately appears.
Lel Budge
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
#4 in the Mark Dane series but can easily be read as a stand-alone.

Mark Dane, ex-British intelligence and now working for a secretive organisation, Rubicon with his partner, Lucy.

When a Rubicon employee goes missing Dane is tasked with investigating and so the adventure begins.

There’s a terrorist they must find and stop with lots of action and intrigue.

Dane is a real action hero, but there is more to the tale than that. A clever and compelling plot, which feels all too plausible and makes this a
Jennie
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another action packed thriller as Marc Dane manages to survive another series of mishaps, poor decisions and sheer bad luck as he and Lucy Keyes fall headlong into a series of dangerous situations as they hunt for the source of a deadly virus about to be loosed on the world. There are also some subplots with senior management (on both sides!)- that will no doubt bear fruit in forthcoming titles.
A great edge of the seat read that is let down a bit by the reader who does not pause for section brea
Nicolaas Bergman
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The goodies defeats the badies an old recipe its predictable thats in a nutshell. Yes but thats not the whole truth. The action the situation the goodies find them in the way the escape and defy death and how they do it thats thye exciting part its never a dull moment and if you are looking for that then you have found it.I enjoyed the book and looking forward to his new book even if i know the goodies always win in the end but you dont want it any other way.
Callum Clement
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Move over Bond, your time is up! There's a new hero now and his name is Marc Dane.
This series by James Swallow just gets better and better with each book, of which this is the 4th.
A punchy, pithy, tech-savvy agent for the 21st Century, tackling 21st Century crimes to wit, cyber terrorism, nuclear theft and here, a vicious white supremacist group.
Can't wait for the next installment.
Anthony Wilson
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another one knocked out of the park. I felt like this one was a really great story in itself however it also was a great set up to the next book.

Would highly recommend the Marc Dane series to everyone.
Andy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jswallow
Fourth outing for ex-MI6 agent Marc Dane, and his fellow Rubicon agents. Another fast paced thriller unfolds as Marc finds himself in the midst of a racist terror groups plan to unleash a deadly virus. Exciting and gripping, overflowing with tension. A great read and worthy addition to the series.
Juliane
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars: it felt a little like filler just setting up the next book in the series - did not seem as strong a story as the previous ones
Annette
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an action adventure series book by James Swallow about Marc Dane who is a spy/ security consultant working for the organisation Rubicon which is trying to do good in the world.
Mark andhis partner, Ex soldier Lucy, are asked to investigate the disappearance of an employee of Rubicon and her family. She is a research scientist and has been working on a cure for cancer. Based in Singapore she was well on the way to a breakthrough when she disappeared. Fearing the worst Ekko Solomon the myst
Billie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ruthless far-right terrorist is broken out of captivity
A mysterious bio-scientist with a terrible secret is abducted
A lethal contagion threatens millions of lives across Europe and the Middle East
Ex-MI6 officer Marc Dane faces a deadly challenge against all odds, to stop a devastating attack before a new kind of weapon is unleashed . . .

The fourth instalment in James Swallow’s Marc Dane series.
Fast paced and exciting it would appeal to all action thriller fans who enjoy a compelling and well p
Becky
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Shadow is the fourth in the Marc Dane series, but it also stands alone, you don’t need to have read the other stories (although you should!!). This really feels like a modern James Bond story, with a hero in Marc Dane who has a clear set of skills and who has companions who clearly outclass him in some areas.

This is a really high paced thriller with a plot that has a good number of turns and Marc and Lucy pursue their targets whilst annoying the security services from multiple countries!! I real
Carrie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the series, but did not really enjoy this book. The bad guy was horrible and too much time was spent wallowing in his hatred. The pace of the action scenes stretched credulity (ok, I know this is already unbelievable but come on). These people aren't super heroes and shouldn't bounce back like they are invincible. I will probably read the next installment as the premise foreshadowed in this book is interesting but honestly, I don't really want to if it follows the same pattern this one cu ...more
Jay Dwight
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it

I've enjoyed the previous Marc Dane thrillers, and this is another energy packed instalment in the series. Again, the pace is frenetic as Dane and the Rubicon team are on the trail of a bio-scientist. There is a risk that a deadly virus has been created for use in bio-terrorism.
Sean Lane
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping read

I stumbled across James Swallow when waiting for Terry Hayes to bring out his new book. I'm glad I did. Loved every book so far. Shadow is no exception. Thrilling throughout.
Tim Dyer
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, kept the flow from the the previous books on the series. Face paced, with a highly creditable modern day narrative. Certainly adds weight to the conspiracy theorists out there and the way the media can be exploited.

Matthew Hickson
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of the Marc Dane series and enjoyed each and every one. It's fast paced and action packed, a real page turner. Unlike some books in the same genre, it's not all about the gadgets, and neither are the central characters (Dane and partner Lucy Keynes) indestructible, which adds to the drama. ...more
emma green
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Another winner. Gutted to have to wait another 12 months for the next instalment. Would strongly recommend this series to anyone looking for action with a twist!

• Imposter 13 (Sleeper 13, #3)
  • Fugitive 13 (Sleeper 13, #2)
  • The Pretender’s Gold (Ben Hope, #21)
  • Sleeper 13 (Sleeper 13, #1)
  • The Demon Club (Ben Hope, #22)
  • The Grid
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Secret Service (Kate Henderson #1)
  • Black 13 (Scott Pearce, #1)
  • Hitler's Secret (Tom Wilde #4)
  • The White Scorpion
  • House of War (Ben Hope, #20)
  • The Englishman
  • Freefall (Pendulum Trilogy, #2)
  • To Kill a Man
  • The Angry Sea (John Carr, #2)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Knife Edge
James Swallow is a New York Times, Sunday Times and Amazon #1 bestselling author and scriptwriter, a BAFTA nominee, a former journalist and the award-winning writer of over fifty books, along with scripts for video games, comics, radio and television.

His writing includes the Marc Dane action thrillers, the Sundowners steampunk Westerns and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 40000, Do

Marc Dane (4 books)