Start by marking “Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)” as Want to Read:
Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)

Dukes, Actually

(12 Dukes of Christmas #5)

Incorrigible hoyden Miss Carole Quincy likes fast car
Published October 22nd 2019 by WebMotion

To ask other readers questions about Dukes, Actually, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dukes, Actually

Start your review of Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)
Dianne
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a shy and introverted Duke and an outgoing, flirtatious young miss striking a bargain to help the socially awkward lord come out of his shell and find an appropriate wife.

DUKES, ACTUALLY by Erica Ridley is another quirky, yet charming tale filled with fun characters, a little romance and, as always, Ms. Ridley’s ability to pull it all together and leave her readers smiling!

I received a complimentary ARC edition from Erica Ridley/WebMotion! This is my honest and voluntary review.

Series: 1
Andrea
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
These book are like comfort food for me. They're short, lovely, and just leave you happy.

The latest addition to the series features a lovely and confident young woman who hides behind her logic, and a shy, awkward duke-next-door who is rather desperate to come out of his shell. I loved how both helped each other out without noticing it, and it was delightful to see Adam slowly become more open. Cue some cute bickering, and I really couldn't ask for much more.

My favorite moment? Adam trying out
AnnMarie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dukes, Actually is the fifth book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series by Erica Ridley. It can easily be read as a standalone book.

The Duke of Azureford is shy, but rather than people realising that they think he is just plain arrogant. It's something that he needs to work on if he is ever going to find someone to marry and have heirs with. Visiting his country home is the perfect opportunity to work on overcoming his shyness. He wants to have a party, which he hopes he will shine at, unlike his
Carole Burant
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another delightful novella written by Erica Ridley! I thought this was such a sweet and fun story and the two main characters, Carole and Adam, were very easy to love:) Adam first comes across as very aloof and grumpy but he's actually just the opposite, shyness is stopping him from being able to be himself when around people. Carole, on the other hand, is the opposite, full of life and loved by all who know her. And she's a genius at Billiards, how awesome is that?!!!

I loved seeing how Carole m
eyes.2c
Books and billiards, can they lead to love?

Another light romance in Ridley's 12 Dukes of Christmas series. The painfully shy Duke of Azureford covers his natural inclination up with a brusque and severe front. A warm young lady, Miss Carole Quincy, hides the pain she's known since her mother's death.
A lost sketch book and billiards bring them together--as friends. Nothing more as both have responsibilities. Carole undertakes to help Adam to learn to flirt and converse to make his quest for a Duc
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
ARC PROVIDED BY AUTHOR FOR HONEST REVIEW!!

Adam Duke of Azureford is a rich, handsome and very powerful Duke in Parliment. But he is painfully shy. He decides to go to his cottage in Cressmouth to practice socializing. He will build a billiards room and invite the villiagers to a party.

Carole Quicy had been to a party at the Dukes home 6 months prior where she lost her Sketch book. Now she is trying to retrieve it. She runs into the Duke in his Library while she is searching for her Sketch book.
Dec 25, 2020 rated it liked it
'The Duke of Azureford isn’t the arrogant, aloof lord his peers perceive him to be. Yes, he’s awkward, but he has a plan to fix it. In order to woo a respectable lady, he must learn how to flirt. The completely inappropriate girl next door would make a perfect instructor, but a terrible duchess. So why can’t he walk away?

Incorrigible hoyden Miss Carole Quincy likes fast carriages, carom billiards, and the beautiful, buttoned-up Duke of Azureford. She’d be delighted to help him out of his shell a
Elodie

Incorrigible hoyden Miss Carole
Jen
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, netgalley
This was a very good Regency romance novella. There was one issue with the lack of communication, but it wasn't drawn out, so not a huge negative. Also, while the cover is gorgeous, it doesn't match the hair colors of the MCs. It confused me at first when the MCs were described with the opposite hair color, but I just went with it. I know authors have little final say over covers, but it is a pet peeve of mine when the cover doesn't match the contents with specific details like that.

The story w
Jessica Grogan
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Farland, Duke of Azureford, has been mistaken for an arrogant, aloof lord. What he actually is, however, is a quiet and shy lord. Adam devises a plan guaranteed to help him break out of his shell and find the society bride he needs. Miss Carole Quincy is as outgoing as she is unconventional, and will be the perfect practice for Adam’s flirting. Until that practice starts to feel very real...

I absolutely ADORED this title. Erica Ridley excels at creating heroes and heroines that are more tha
Lori D
Another magical romance by the amazing Erica Ridley! I know when I start to read one of her stories, I will not be moving anytime soon. Plus there may be times I burst out laughing and others when I can only sigh.
Imagine a shy, introverted Duke. One who needs to learn to flirt to attract a potential bride. Then imagine a lady who is totally the opposite to the point of being everything bright and fun.
So begins Carole and her part time next door neighbor, Adam the Duke of Azureford's story!
Carol
Vania Nunes
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my God! Of all the books in this series, this one has become my favorite.
Azureford and Carole are simply PERFECT together !!!

Adam Farland, the 6th Duke of Azureford, is considered superb, cocky, and in some cases people are afraid of him. All because when he is in any event, he usually stays by himself, gloomy, talking to no one. But the great truth is that he is... SHY!
He simply gets scared in a very crowded place, and doesn't even know how to start a conversation.
On the other hand, his fame
Niki (mustreadalltheromance)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, hero-is-titled
Adam, the Duke of Azureford, is perceived as cold and aloof by his peers, but really he's just shy and socially awkward. Now he wishes to do his duty to the dukedom by marrying an appropriate bride, but he'll need to make some changes first. He's planning to reinvent himself by transforming his library into a billiards room and practicing his social skills on the people of the town of Cressmouth before trying his luck on the real stage in London. His wildly inappropriate neighbor turns out to be ...more
Janet
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Duke of Azureford hasn't visited his cottage in Cressmouth for quite some time so next door neighbour Carole Quincy visits to try to find her sketchbook which she left there some months before but someone’s moved all the books around & then Adam the Duke comes back & is going to give the majority of the library to the town. The Duke of Azureford is shy around people but he has a plan to fix it, he’ll convert his library into a billiards room. Carole offers to help Adam catalogue the library ...more
Suzannah
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dukes, Actually is the 5th book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series by Erica Ridley. Ridley is one of my “go to” authors. Her stories have humor and heart pounding romance. I have especially enjoyed this Christmas series. Each story takes place in a wonderful little town called Cressmouth. In Cressmouth, the inhabitants celebrate Christmas all year round. Ridley has a talent for creating characters of depth and feeling. I loved the heroine Carole Quincy - she is the sunshine in the town. Adam Fa ...more
Cheryl
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story in parts, I’m afraid I skipped over the various billiard connotations. I did like that Carole was able to work in what would have been considered a man’s work and that Adam, Duke of Azureford was man enough to recognise her abilities. This was a sweet romance. I received a copy and have voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Elaine
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!
I do love a shy Duke, as well as a bold one. A charming story. Read it when I should have been sleeping. 5☆
Lili  Marcus
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a joyful read. Just what I needed today. This definitely put a smile on my face. :)
Tia
I enjoyed Carol and the Duke of Azureford's love story. This one was more of a 3.5 read for me. It wasn't a stand out read, but still a great story with cheeky characters. The budding romance between his man and her last was a refreshing addition that I rarely read in historicslr romances.

Quick thoughts
Cathleen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming and lighthearted like the previous books in this series, I enjoyed this historical romance. The characters are likeable and easy to root for. I even learned some new things about billiards and Parliament.

It was fun that this a neighbors to lovers plot but there is also a commoner/nobility slant that seriously affects the story.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC from Netgalley.
Heike
This was an extremely cute romance to curl up with on a cold day!

The Duke of Azureford, perceived as aloof while he is only extremely shy, comes to his summer house with the intention to work on his social ineptness in order to find a suitable duchess.
His neighbor, a common lady well loved in town for her sunny character and willingness to help, is not suitable as a wife, but he accepts her help in reforming him.

I loved the characters, their interaction, the development of their relationship, ..
Darlene Foster
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own

Dukes, Actually, by Erica Ridley, is available at booksellers on 10-22-19. Book 5, in Ms Ridley's 12 Dukes Of Christmas series, may be the best yet. I became invested in the characters, mostly the hero, and that makes for a pleasant read. Our couple are immensely likeable, although not a contemporary book, their situations are relatable in 2019.

Adam Farland, Duke of Azureford, is an exceedingly shy
NhaughtyV says Damn the Zon Save the Reviews
“…the perfect match is two imperfect people who happen to be perfect for each other.”

The Duke of Azureford is determined to step out of his introverted shell and become a new man…a man that can start the new London season looking for a perfect bride to be his Duchess and provide him an heir. Laying out a plan to create a billiards room in his country cottage and practice his socializing skills on the locals, the one thing he didn’t plan on was his feisty and beautiful neighbor, Miss Carole Quinc
SH
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erica Ridley’s ‘Dukes, Actually’ is the fifth book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series. Whilst this is a great addition to the series, this is a standalone story. The story follows Adam, the Duke of Azureford, who is incredibly shy, yet loves being around people. He just isn’t sure what to say when they want to talk to him. Consequently, his air of arrogance is well known. Having purchased his home in Christmas, Cressmouth (England), he decides to clear out most of his library so that he can est ...more
Brigitte
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, lovely storyline, remarkable characters and fun.

Adam is a Duke. Admired by his peers in the House of Lords, but when it comes to social interactions, he is considered to be judgemental and aloof.

Carole is the girl nextdoor who has dedicated her life, looking after her father. She has also sworn to be a spinster. Wishing to remain a spinster doesn't mean that she can't dream and oggle someone from afar.

She has a hidden talent which she intends to keep secret as being a woman this c
Nicole D.
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Duke of Azureford aka Adam has poor social skills. He is about as good at talking to people as I am aka almost hopeless. But he is lonely and wants a wife. He has a plan though. He plans to build a billiard room in his house in the small town called Christmas and work on his social skills with the local townspeople. Enter Carole. She is the opposite of Adam. She is friendly, funny, and gets along with everyone. When she offers to help Adam with his social skills and sparks start to fly betwe ...more
Cathy Geha
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dukes, Actually by Erica Ridley
12 Dukes of Christmas #5

Love, LOVE. L O V E these novella length holiday romances! In this one shy adam Farland, duke of Azureford comes to his summer home in Cressmouth, England to become a new man. He believes that it is time to learn to get his flirt on and be able to socialize so he can find a bride to breed with. Little does he know that Miss Carole Quincy will show up looking for her sketchbook and give him a hand not only with his social skills but also in t
Traci
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dukes, Actually is the 5th book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas Book series. It is another great novella by this author and perfect for a cozy read on a cold day. The novellas in this series all take place in the town of Cressmouth, that had been nicknamed Christmas. They are all fast past, have fun characters and can be read as standalones.
Adam, the Duke of Azureford, appeared cold and aloof, but instead he was shy and didn’t know how to make conversation. It was spring and he decided to return t
Debra Martin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore these sweet Christmas romances! Ms. Ridley is masterful in the latest book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series. Adam Farland, Duke of Azureford, gets tongue-tied in social settings. He has no problem addressing Parliament, but is at a total loss with small talk. He plans to visit his cottage to practice his social skills by building a billiards room. His next door neighbor, Miss Carole Quincy lost her precious sketchbook in that same cottage and tries to retrieve it only to be confronted ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Dukes, Actually by Erica Ridley is book 5 in the 12 Dukes of Christmas. This is the story of Carole Quincy and Adam Farland, The Duke of Azureford. I have read the previous books but feel you could make this a standalone book if you wish to do so.
Adam is a shy person but it comes off as being arrogant. Now that he has to start looking for a wife he thinks he needs to work on his issue. Carole is young women who doesn't let most things get in her way to do what she wants. Which has lead her to s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Gift of the Marquess (Love is All Around #2)
  • Joy to the Duke (Love is All Around #3)
  • The Red Hot Earl (Love is All Around #1)
  • A Duke is Never Enough (The Spitfire Society #2)
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • A Duke Will Never Do (The Spitfire Society #3)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • A Secret Surrender (The Pretenders #1)
  • One Night of Scandal (Wicked Dukes Club #4)
  • Suddenly a St. Clair (The St. Clairs #5)
  • Sins of Viscount Worsley (Forever Yours, #8)
  • How to Tame a Beastly Lord (Happy Ever Regency, #2)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • Married to the Lord (The Wallflower Brides #2)
  • The Heart of a Highlander
  • Her Christmas Wish
Get freebies and 99¢ deals at: https://ridley.vip

Erica Ridley is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of historical romance novels, including the upcoming THE DUKE HEIST, featuring the Wild Wynchesters. Why seduce a duke the normal way, when you can accidentally kidnap one in an elaborately planned heist?

In the 12 Dukes of Christmas series, enjoy witty, heartwarming Regency romps nes

12 Dukes of Christmas (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Once Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #1)
  • Kiss of a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #2)
  • Wish Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #3)
  • Never Say Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #4)
  • The Duke's Bride (12 Dukes of Christmas, #6)
  • The Duke's Embrace (12 Dukes of Christmas, #7)
  • The Duke's Desire (12 Dukes of Christmas, #8)
  • Dawn with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #9)
  • One Night with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #10)
  • Ten Days with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #11)

News & Interviews