Start by marking “H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)” as Want to Read:
H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)

H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,014 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The H.M.S. Unseen is one of the most efficient, lethal submarines ever built. But suddenly, on a training mission off the English coast, it vanishes, baffling military intelligence on both sides of the Atlantic, including National Security Adviser Admiral Arnold Morgan. A missing weapon is dangerous enough. But then the unthinkable begins to happen....Planes begin blowing ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Published March 1st 2000 by HarperTorch (first published April 7th 1999)

David
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Robinson is a master at creating a frightening and compelling plot. He excels at describing naval operations and military hardware and technology. However, in the midst of a fast-paced thriller he begins to suffer as he moves towards a conclusion. As in the first novel ,Nimitz, he begins to stumble forward like a runner who trips and runs forward without really regaining his balance.

Robinson also slips into silly and ignorant ideas as he writes. For example, he has his villain address a high ra
Michal Angelo
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: would-recommend
* The follow-on to Patrick Robinson's Kilo Class, this book is not for everyone as it requires of the reader a certain understanding of maritime terms and world navigation. That said, Unseen will take you on a head-spinning international tour with an explosive climax.
* Follow the Morgan series into #4, U.S.S. Seawolf
Robert Gross
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would say 3.5 stars. Better than 3, not deserving of 4.

This is my second Patrick Robinson book, and while I enjoyed it and recommend it, it does get tend to get even more political than most military writers. Also, both Robinson books I've finished seem like they wrap up too fast. It's like he reaches a max limit of pages from his editor and just wraps it up.

Still, overall, a solid read. Arnold Morgan is quite entertaining.
Charles Dingman
OK, the unabridged version is a better experience than the abridged versions of the previous 2 books in this series, but still not giving human dimensions to any of the characters. The story arc seems to be an especially bloody long con, and our country just the last one deceived.
MMc14
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the story overall.

I was a little disappointed that some of the main characters did not seem as shrewd or questioning of 'obvious' facts as in the previous books.
Neil
This is the third fictional book written by Patrick Robinson. I see on Goodreads it is indicated as being a part of a series called 'Admiral Arnold Morgan'; it is a nice indicator, I suppose, for this batch of books. I thought it had a good plot and flowed well, overall. It did not grip me quite as much the second time around reading it; I think I mixed parts of this storyline up with Scimitar SL-2 when I started reading this again. This book focused more on the villain, per se, than it did the ...more
JBradford
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
if you liked Tom Clancy’s Hunt for Red October, you’ll probably like this book as well … and if Robinson’s writing career develops as well as Clancy’s did, we will all be well off. I found this book slightly more pedantic than Clancy’s style, but it’s a good story and it is told well.

The gist of the plot is that an Iraqi spy, Commander Ben Adnam, discovers that the Iraqi president, who is very morning had awarded Adnam the Iraqi medal of honor in recognition of his years of espionage as an Israe
Jacqui
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
I almost didn't read the book because of the corny name for the submarine. I'm glad I persevered. Excellent story of an imaginative plot to retrofit a submarine so it can knock high-flying aircraft from the sky. By the time the renovated HMS Unseen downed it's third--and that the Concorde, I wished the F-15 Eagle was out of mothballs and trolling the LEO skies above me. A nuclear sub has never been hijacked, but Robinson makes it believable thanks to the level of detail he includes. He also adds ...more
Cynthia
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am very much enjoying this series. One point, however: I find it hard to believe that the general public would be so dense as to not even think that the sinking of a nuclear aircraft carrier and then a few years later the downing of THREE aircraft were not accidents! PLEASE!!! And one other thing: I find it unusual and a little freaky that the first three books in this series were written in the late 1990s, but the author chose to write them as occurring in the 2000s. If 9/11 had not taken pla ...more
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is another of a series. I read Kilo Class earlier. Ben Adnam is an Iraqi terrorist and submarine captain. He defects to Iran, and steals a diesel-electric sub from the British Navy. He has the sub fitted with a surface-to-air missile system and uses it to shoot down the Concorde and two other airplanes over the North Atlantic. Arnold Morgan is the US National Security Adviser trying to catch Adnam and the submarine.The reader is George Guidall. He does pretty well at catching all the variou ...more
Memo
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book - helped that I was working for the head of the submarine service at the time of reading and actually know who some of the characters are based on - shocking to think that by the time this was released, concorde was no longer flying! I also thought it to be a security risk that the British Navy really do allow foreign nationals to do the 'perisher' course. Makes Hunt for Red October seem like a stroll round the fishpond!
Henri Moreaux
To enjoy this book you really need to suspend your critical thinking ability and take it as it is, else you will find yourself wondering why on earth the characters don't do this, or do that.

However, looking past such flaws, it is an interesting and thrilling read that technology wise is within the realm of possibility even if the plot line was a little fanciful.

All in all an enjoyable and sturdy addition to the Patrick Robinson Admiral Morgan series.
Lis
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un romanzo "classico" per gli amanti del genere: sottomarini, terroristi, ecc, ecc. Niente di nuovo da questo punto di vista, continua la saga dell'ammiraglio Morgan.
Un libro a due facce: inizia con descrizioni particolareggiate, approfondendo ogni singolo aspetto della storia e non è affatto male. Peccato che il finale sia stato scritto così di corsa, concludendo in poche pagine quello che avrebbe meritato di essere scritto meglio e più dettagliatamente.
Tinger
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had promise as a techno-thriller with a clever plot. But it became increasingly unrealistic and unlikely as you read. The latter part of the book is flat-out so silly, it made me wish I had not bothered to get into it in the first place. 2 stars for some interesting scenes and action sequences, but as a whole, it was not a satisfying read.
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Probably not
This book was well written and easy to follow. Definitely entertaining, it is worth the time to read. Unfortunately, the back cover was a real turn off because of all the cliche's. I only gave it a chance in the interests of broadening my literary experiences. I'm glad I did. It's far from great but it served it's purpose.
Ron
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a perfect thriller book for a plane. I started reading this when I started on my trip to CO to go skiing, I was 4/5 through it when I finally got there. I couldn't put it down. If you love fiction about terrorists, submarines and grizzly cigar chomping military leaders keeping the USA safe, this is the book for you.
Pete
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: military
The first half of this novel is almost as good as the "Nimitz" and "Kilo" novels of the series. The last half of the story sails adrift however as Robinson for some unknown reason undermines the excellent character development he had earlier established for the Ben Adnan character. Worth reading but it had the potential to be much better.
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
"Submarine expert terrorist steals a British sub and knocks Concords and other transatlantic planes from the sky. Direct sequel to Nimitz Class. Better balance between military and other spheres than his other books."
David
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this was published in 2000, I am going to guess I picked it up in an airport or bookstore for travel shortly thereafter. So best guess on first read, in paperback, is May 2000.
2nd read - in Kindle from library - 2016-01-25
Chris
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-fiction
It was okay. a good follow in for the original story, but a little to narrow in scope for my liking.
i should think this book will be enjoyed by a lot of people but i found it hard to stay attatched in this instance.
Nathan Pinno
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes military fiction.
Shelves: fiction, military
HMS Unseen is another masterpiece for Patrick Robinson! From start to finish, it is a great read, and I think it is a must read for anyone who enjoys reading about the military, or military-style fiction. This one took me a while longer to finish, simply because I had more to do in the meantime. ;)
Jerald Hoskelis
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Fair novel, but a little out in left field. It don't work this way!!!
Bill Donhiser
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly written Naval technothriller. It rates right up there withe the best of Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Craig
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imported
I did not like the fact that Ben Adnam died in the end. I felt they had the perfect setup for another book with him messing with the US.
Deborah Stone
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am all in for this Admiral Morgan series. I love the detail, the characters, the plot. If you like military suspense this series is for you.
Chuck
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An Iraqui terrorist steals a British stealth submarine, refits it and
wreaks havoc with air traffic in the Atlantic. Once again we meet
Admiral Arnold Morgan, National Security Advisor to POTUS.
Thomas West
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
Caleb A.
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very amazing book! Loved the navy thriller! The plot was a little confusing and a tad hard to follow, but overall it was a great read, I loved it and enjoyed it tremendously!
Norman
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, well researched & well written.
Linda Amos
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to this author. Can.t wait to read more.
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Attack of the Seawolf
  • Fortunes of War
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Tidal Rip (Jeffrey Fuller, #4)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)