Start by marking “Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers (Harry Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers

(Harry Potter #1)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  6,242,354 ratings  ·  99,064 reviews
Le jour de ses onze ans, Harry Potter, un orphelin élevé par un oncle et une tante qui le détestent, voit son existence bouleversée. Un géant vient le chercher pour l'emmener à Poudlard, une école de sorcellerie ! Voler en balai, jeter des sorts, combattre les trolls : Harry Potter se révèle un sorcier doué. Mais un mystère entoure sa naissance et l'effroyable V..., le ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Folio Junior (n° 899), 305 pages
Published 1998 by Gallimard Jeunesse (first published June 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers, please sign up.
Olivia YESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the…moreYESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the movies so the books are much more interesting. You should definitely read the books.(less)
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/f...(less)

·  6,242,354 ratings  ·  99,064 reviews

Start your review of Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers (Harry Potter, #1)
Miranda Reads
Check out this book in my very first video review!
Onwards to the review!

description
Can you hear me screaming?

As expected, the illustrations brought this book toa whole new level.I legitimately want to buy another copy, solely to take it apart andframe it.

Each page is just bursting with new life.Honestly, how could younotlove such beautiful images?

description
Hogwarts, Hogwarts. Hoggy Hoggy warty warts.

I think at this point, everyone and their great-great-grandmother has heard of this book.

Harry Potter, orphaned
Lora
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters
★ Jess
My original review was a comparison of sorts between Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is stupid as the two are incomparable. Honestly, its not even worth discussing. Its not just that Twilight doesn't come close, it is the fact that Harry Potter transcends other similar works. Its peerless. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: It "ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."

There was a day when I thought I needed to defend
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Colleen Hoover
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on page 27. I can already tell this is going to be a big hit someday. Everyone take note of this author. He's going places.
Couldn't find him on Twitter, though. Wanted to tell him how great I thought page 23 was.
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why the heck did I not read Harry Potter before now...its flipping magical (literally)!
Lily C
I've FINALLY read a Harry Potter book!!!

(Watch my review here): https://youtu.be/oUZ0EMsggSk
Zoë
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will never ever rate this lower than 5 stars. BEAUTIFUL.
Voldemort
Aug 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There are no words to do this book justice.
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my first jobs was at a bookstore. When I was a kid my Mom would take me to the mall and I would spend tons of time hanging out at Waldenbooks (who here remembers Waldenbooks?) Right when I became legally old enough to work, I went in and submitted my application and a few weeks later I was selling literature to the masses.

Why do I tell you this story on this review, you ask? Well, at the time, young adult/teen literature consisted mainly of RL Stein, Christopher Pike, Beverly Cleary, Judy
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: Despite a weak climax, it’s a delightful read: an excellent introduction to its richly layered, wildly imaginative world.
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Review for Illustrated Edition

Perfect. Duh.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
***Because I got hate in the comments for OMG swearing in a children's book review (which I get, I guess...), DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE UNDER 18. Happy now, everyone?***

Well, I did it. I FINALLY read my first Harry Potter book...and in the same year as its 20th anniversary no less.

But better late than never, no?

Annnnd I already ordered the illustrated hardback.
And asked for the full hardcover set for Christmas.
From my dad.
Because nothing says, “I’m a thirty-fucking-five-year-old adult” like
Victoria Schwab
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doing a listen of the entire series, Stephen Fry edition.
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Always Great, Coming back Home..

There's a reason us, the Fans, feel that we're connected, no matter where we from, different culture, ethics, ages..we're all graduated from there..

..Hogwarts.. even like we were in same class,classmates, no matter which edition we read..

..Cause Harry Potter is not just a story..it's a Life..

The Boy Who Saved Flourished the Book Industry
It's One of the most important novels in modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review also for those who
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Don't worry, I've confirmed that no matter how many times you read these books, they continue to be as magical as the very first time. <3

********************************
Original Review:

I read this book a couple of years ago and, for some unknown reason, never continued on. It was just as wonderfully magical as I remembered, a breath of fresh air during what is usually a stressful time of year for me. I have yet to find a story that feels so pure and childlike that appeals to such a broad
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I have absolutley no idea why goodreads deleted my review AND rating but thankfully I still had it saved! So here it is again, may it stick around this time!

”It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.”

Okay, here’s the thing: There are already 96.502 reviews about this book on goodreads and I think it’s safe to say that mine will carry no weight. *lol*
So I decided to make this a short “my thoughts about this book” review. ;-P

1.) ”Thirty-six,” he said, looking up at his
Stephen
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she
Luca Ambrosino
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL
ENGLISH (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) / ITALIANO

Let me dream.

I'm reading for the first time this book to my daughter (6 years old), but for me (37 years old) it's the third time I read "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone". Everyone should read this book, if only to realize why the phenomenon "Harry Potter" has spread. With an essential and enjoyable style, J.K. Rowling catapults the reader into a fantasy world, populated by wizards and flying broomsticks, unicorns and talking

Elena [currently ia because college + finals]
This boy will be famous. There won't be a child in our world who doesn't know his name.

Everyone grew up with Harry Potter. They read all the books when they were young and watched all the films. They would re-watch and re-read them. They would fall in love with the Wizarding World and would completely adore Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They would talk about them non stop, about Hogwarts, about its teachings, about them wanting to become students there and pretending they are, about joining the HP
Kai
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

Harry Potter is the most amazing series that I have ever read in my whole life, and it probably forever will be. I will never love any books as much as I love these. I don't think I have to tell you guys about how good this book is because most of you have already read it anyway.

I haven't written a review so far because I just did not feel the need to put this
Wil Wheaton
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
Oct 23, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Harold Bloom
May 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, the carrion-eaters of scholarship
Shelves: therabblement
Can 35 Million Book Buyers Be Wrong? Yes.

Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles. By opposing the sea, you won't end it. The Harry Potter epiphenomenon will go on, doubtless for some time, as J. R. R. Tolkien did, and then wane.

The official newspaper of our dominant counter-culture, The New York Times, has been startled by the Potter books into establishing a new policy for its not very literate book review. Rather than crowd
Mark Lawrence
Publishers have my sympathy. If I try to put myself in the place of an editor picking this manuscript from the pile I can say with some certainty that I would not have recognized it as the ticket to a multi-billion dollar prize. I would have thought to myself that it was a good fun read, revisiting the magic-school trope and doing a fine job for children in the 8 to 12 range. If I hadn't had anything better land on my desk I might have published it, but then again, like quite a number of ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone = Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1), J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a fantasy novel written by British author J. K. Rowling. It is the first novel in the Harry Potter series and Rowling's debut novel, first published in 1997 by Bloomsbury. It was published in the United States as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by Scholastic Corporation in 1998.
The plot follows Harry Potter, a young wizard who
Caz (littlebookowl)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, re-read
Re-read again, this time it was the illustrated edition!
may ❀

I’m putting aside precious reading time to try and formulate a review for y’all so you should be grateful (and not attack me for my rating)

So clearly, I had a very very sad childhood since I had not read Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or any other of those “must-read-or-else-you-never-experienced-happiness-as-a-child” kind of books. But I was actually a pretty happy kid. Go figure.

description

Harry Potter #1 was a GOOD book. It was fascinating, it was adventurous, it was different, and it was also average.

Change the 1 letter 10541 3422 12 hours, 22 min ago
Does Velofel Usa Work? 1 3 15 hours, 35 min ago
Word Game! 465 264 Dec 10, 2019 03:26PM
The Procrastinato...: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (December 2019) Group Read Discussion 37 38 Dec 10, 2019 07:04AM
BOOK Name quiz - same rules as movie-name quiz... (plays included) 33080 9319 Dec 09, 2019 07:02PM
Harry Potter 1 1 Dec 06, 2019 07:25PM

• The Hobbit, Part One
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Charlotte's Web
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)