Start by marking “Shrouded Kingdom (The Lost Queen of Althea, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shrouded Kingdom (The Lost Queen of Althea, #1)

Shrouded Kingdom

(The Lost Queen of Althea #1)

Once a human. Now a fae princess, destined to be queen.

Layanna Fairling has never belonged to her village, and yet, when it’s threatened by a tyrant who wants her dead, she knows she has to protect it.

Three mysterious strangers who claim Layanna is a changeling and future ruler of the Seelie Court arrive to aid her. They also claim that the only way of saving her village
Published December 28th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Shrouded Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrouded Kingdom

Start your review of Shrouded Kingdom (The Lost Queen of Althea, #1)
Kaitlin
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spfbo-2020
This book was one of my #SPFBO6 books and it was a story that had a fast pace and fae-based story. Personally, it didn't work as well as it could have for me, largely because it tells a lot rather than showing a lot, and that made it feel a littlebit simplisticand predictable.

The narrative takes place around two characters:
1. Layanna - a young woman with a hidden past which even she doesn't know about.
2. Jordeek - a ruler of a land which doesn't want him as ruler on a quest to vanquish the enem
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I thought I would enjoy Shrouded Kingdom, but no, I found myself thoroughly disappointed.
I am an absolute sucker for royalty and court politics and Shrouded Kingdom not only had that but also faeries. So me, being the sucker that I am, said hell to the yes, and promptly downloaded this from Kindle Unlimited. (I was also in desperate need of more court politics and faeries after reading The Wicked King , so that may have contributed.)

Thought Flows with Sophia:
Wow, what a way to sta
Dakota
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable first installment. Enjoyed getting to meet our motley crew and learn about Layanna and her hidden past. Can't wait to see what else unfolds and to watch our crew as they grow personally and learn to trust each othe r. ...more
mo
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
a kindle unlimited book with a blurb that made me wary. i should have just trusted my gut and not bothered, but i was also bored and wanted to read something with fae creatures.

basically, what soured this book for me is that it was written very poorly. i truly mean that. it seems like it never passed through the hands of an editor who was even somewhat competent. everything that happened in the narrative felt like it was happening to layanna, the main character, and none of it felt earned. the
Sydney
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Surprisingly good read with an original storyline. Medhurst delivers on a new genre for her!

3 stars, because the level of writing felt poor and all over the place at time, very disjointed. But I've rated 3 stars on another first book in a series that she wrote and ended up rating 5 stars on the rest of that same series, so I expect the remaining books in this series to be a big hit and even better than the first.

Loved getting to know Layanna and watch her realize her true place in the world of
Alba
I was debating between 3.5 and 4.5. I'm not gonna lie, I'm easy to please, I love this cover, it was short, I finished in just one afternoon and I felt invested so that's all I'm asking.

Then I read the reviews and thought that they came from reviewers that are always willing to give a pass to books from the big five publishing houses and get all nitpicky with books written by authors that aren't mainstream. Everyone knows that fantasy books by Sarah J. Maas and Victoria Schwab contain plenty of
Aurora
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new Medhurst series is decidedly different from her previous offerings - much more in the classic "epic" adventure style. Our heroine is a changeling and the uncrowned Queen of a kingdom of magical creatures who's been living in the human world until her band of adventurers appears to take her home to fight for the kingdom.
Interesting characters including a very complex villain, and lots of adventures to be had. If you're not a "commitment" sort of person, you might want to give it a pass,
Andrea Green
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book and just couldn't put it down, fantastically written with stunning and captivating characters, Multi layers of sub plots that are easily followed and wonderful action with romance. A must read for so many reasons. I am sure you will love these books as much as I did. Warning this book ends on a cliff hanger with lots questions left unanswered which will definitely make you want to read book 3 but also may leave you a little fraustrated at this moment. ...more
Jade
Oct 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was 75% done with this book when I wanted to drop it. I only kept reading because I was nearly done. This story goes really no where, yet fast pace which confused me on how that was possible. It really went no where. Its also very repetitive. She takes forever to admit who she is even though she could do things no one else can. They also keep telling her who she is all the time. If I have to read the phrase "you're the lost queen" one more time... like we get it! I'm so disappointed again anot ...more
Tera Comer
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
I have read a couple of this authors series and she never fails to pull me into the worlds she writes. This book is a wonderful start to what will be an amazing series. With a perfect blend of action, suspense, twist and turns we are thrown into a magical world of Elves, faeries, witches , and Pixies. I can not wait to see what is in store with the next book. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
Kanyon
When I finished this book I had two thoughts in my head. First, I needed to know more about Jordeek. His character seems so much deeper than we had a glimpse of. There’s also that small bond that he and Layanna share. I feel that it may be explored more in the next book. I also want to learn more about Layanna’s powers and some past history on others in her little team. I loved how the story contained so much world building, painting a perfect picture of the story in my mind. This was a great st ...more
Donamarie Fournier
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I am ready for more of this story. Fae, humans, fairies, pixies, dragons, and more. This is the classic good vs. evil and throws in all kinds of fantasy creatures. The interaction with humans is great. Rachel Medhurst has created a marvelous world with so much action. I love the way this story is moving along. Can't wait for the next book where the dragons come into the story for real. I also love the way that Layanna finds her true self. ...more
Izzybear
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shrouded Kingdom was exciting and full of action and adventure. I liked learning more about each of the characters as the story unfolded. I definitely felt for each one them as I learned of their hardships. Layanna and her group are very likable. Their story pulled me in and kept me captivated through the entire book. It ends in the cliffhanger but it’s a story that was not meant for one book. I can’t wait for the next one to be released.
Gail
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
It seems to be that the child raised by someone else and later found to be royalty is an ever useful tool to form a story. In this case, Layanna is raised by humans and she finds out she was a changeling and destined to rule her kingdom. She has some great people who are trying to help her overcome the ruler that is not rightly the king. At the end of this book, she is searching out the dragons for help as she tries to rescue her people. Good story and exciting events.
Mollyadele
Good beginning

This story has a LOT to offer. Great characters, good tale. The only thing is it leaves you hanging in a very difficult spot and you have no choice to buy the next book; which is pretty shitty if you ask me. A good book has everything and if there is to be a sequel it is because the book was so good you WANT to read more not that you have to buy it to actually finish the story. I find this a lot lately and it is EXTREMELY disappointing.
Nikki
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hrouded Kingdom by Rachel Medhurst is a 5 star read.
This book is an amazing start to a new series by this author and is just as thrilling as all the rest, I couldn’t get the characters from this book out of my head when I’d finished it.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book and can’t wait for the next one.
Suzanne G
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Well written tho it is, I found it hard to get into this book and attach to the characters until about half way through. Once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the book. I would read the next book in the series without hesitation as I feel the story is just getting started and has a lot to offer.
Karen May
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and easy. Fun summer read

I enjoyed this. It's a quick read. Can't wait to learn more details about each character. After so many books with so many battle scenes it's a refreshing break to have an author focused on building the story line first. Some will think it's more for younger readers but as I said I enjoyed it. Good summer reading
Dana Wood
Jun 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love good fairy books and this was pretty good. Of course I have things that bugged me...The fae were too human in many ways. I feel layanna should of had a seelie fae showing her how to access her power not just stumble upon it at the right moments. Otherwise the mix of witch and two fae were a good combination of personality. Adventure abounds in this story. Fun read!
Chrissi
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is so deliciously good!! The world building is fantastic, and the characters are well written. The storyline moves along at a consistent pace and with magic, action, secrets, this new series will definitely be something to sink your teeth into.
Auburn
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

An interesting new look at list queens, forbidden attraction, magic, and the fae. The author weaves a new world for readers to enjoy along with a story fae lovers will gobble up.
Perfect for fans of fast fantasy reads. The perfect balance of magic and disbelief
Jennifer Lil'n  Dunski
Amazing job by Rachel Medhurst

I know this is a new genre of writing by Rachel and I am truly pleased by her writing skills! This story is daring, adventurous and amazing!!! I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this new series
Sheryl Smith
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A princess saga

I enjoyed reading this book. Layana starts off as an innocent young woman suddenly caught up in an otherworldly adventure. Her transformation throughout the book was well done.
Silanna
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Couldn't put it down.

A lost seelie princess has to seek help to beat the unseelie leader that has taken over the seelie kingdom and become an imposter King.
Well written Fantasy Adventure with a unique storyline. Loved it.
Connie Cook
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fantasy book, would be great for kids. Very clean. Layanna finds out she has been raised by humans, and is really a princess. She sets off with a witch, and two fairy’s to restore herself as the rightful queen. There’s magical kingdoms and a prince that is bad but good? Fast fun read.
Juanita Sanchez
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Medhurst takes you on a magickal world full of wonder. There were a couple hiccups left unexplained but they don’t deter from the story. Cannot wait to read book 2! (And the rest of course!)
Glenda Dykstra
Jul 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the book. Sad I can't afford the next one

A human ,ahem, seelie princess who has to be taught to be who she is. A ragtag group to teach and protect.. definitely a must eat
Jackie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read as always by this writer. I was extremely happy to learn that there was a new series. This one has witches, fae and goblins and more to keep you intrigued.
Lena
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
it was a light fantasy read
Pamela Post
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable

It was very well written and kept my attention, although Didn't get emotionally involved, I didn't want to put it down.

• Soulbound (Return of the Elves, #1)
  • The High Crown Chronicles (High Crown Chronicles, #1)
  • A War for Magic (Legacy of Light Book 1)
  • The Return of the Elves Collection: Books 1-4
  • Golden Curse (Fantasy and Fairytales, #1)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Arcane Rising (The Darkland Druids, #1)
  • Ravenwood Academy: Year One: Wolf Moon (Ravenwood Academy, #1)
  • Find Me (Immersed Book 1)
  • Born to Magic (Tales of Nevaeh, #1)
  • The Sorcery Trial (The Faerie Race #1)
  • Vicious Delights (Isle of Midnight, #1)
  • The Alpha's Concubine (The Moon People #1; The Alpha's Concubine #1-5)
  • The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1)
  • Firstborn Academy: Shadow Witch
  • Coven (Soulmark, #1)
  • The Circle  (The Sidhe, #1)
  • Stranger (Academy of Peculiars #1)
See top shelves…
Rachel Medhurst grew up in a small village in Surrey, England. She writes to inspire and heal. She lives in the British countryside with her dog. If she’s not writing, she can be found walking in nature and reading. For more information about current projects, including her short story dystopian series, Avoidables, please check out her website.

The Lost Queen of Althea (2 books)
  • The Dragonscale Throne (The Lost Queen of Althea, #2)

News & Interviews