Start by marking “Kinfolk” as Want to Read:
Kinfolk

Kinfolk

Criminal brothers Ray and Eric Kuttner pulled off what they thought was a seemingly simple score, until Ray’s innocent wife, Rachel, was brutally murdered in retaliation. Hell-bent on revenge, the brothers delivered their own merciless payback.

Three years later, something sheds new light on Rachel’s murder and it requires the brothers to drive across Texas to Oklahoma on
Published December 1st 2018 by Grindhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about Kinfolk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kinfolk

Start your review of Kinfolk
Mort
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasant surprise!!

I have to tell you something - for this review I'm going to use some cool-speak (kinda, sorta maybe). For those of you who doesn't know this about me - I'm over 40 and technologically challenged. So, for someone like me, it can be hard to understand all the abbreviations the younger generation uses. I found, if you spend some time in a chat room, you can kind of figure out what some of them means if you look at the content.

For example:
WTF - Where's The Food.
FYI - Fuck Y
Cameron Chaney
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, adult, horror
A big thank you to the author for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review (and for waiting so patiently for me to get to it).

Kinfolk follows two brothers who are on the run from the police when they become stranded in the wilderness. To make matters worse, their path collides with a murderous family with a taste for human blood.

The “cannibalistic backwoods family” subgenre of horror is one that I'm not as familiar with...at least, that's what I thought before starting Kinfolk. After r
Angel Gelique
Following the tragic death of his wife, all Ray Kuttner wants to do is spend his nights sitting at the local bar, drinking away his misery. That’s what he was doing when his brother, Eric, suddenly pays a visit. Eric gives him a birthday present—the name and location of the man who savagedly killed his wife. Ray attempts to refuse Eric’s gift, explaining that he has given up his life of violence and crime. But Eric won’t take no for an answer. Before long they are on their way to settle the scor ...more
Red Lace Reviews
Estranged siblings Ray and Eric Kuttner find themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere. With a painful past hanging over their heads, and vengeance to dish out, they struggle with their brotherly relationship whilst being forced to protect themselves against an insane clan of flesh eaters. Being hunted down like animals was not the plan; they were to be the hunters. The only thing they can do is try to turn things around, and guns will undoubtedly help.

(WARNING: This review contains MAJOR spo
Becca
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A huge thank you to Matt Kurtz for sending me a copy of Kinfolk in exchange for an honest review!

Quick note! As what can be expected in a horror novel, there are quite a few of the common horror novel triggers in Kinfolk (i.e. gore, death, etc.); however, I would like to mention a certain trigger warning: rape. It occurs in the very first chapter of Kinfolk & it definitely made me cringe. If this is something that really bothers you, please keep it in mind when considering to pick up this book.

I
Garrett
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I want to give a big thanks to Matt Kurtz for a copy of Kinfolk in exchange for an honest review.

Second, I just want to say there could possibly be a trigger scene in the first chapter for new readers to this story. Rape is a touchy subject and one of the darkest scenes in this book. Matt lets you know how dark this story could get straight out of the gate. So be prepared for some tough scenes.

Imagine if you took Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and parts of From Dusk Till Dawn, thr
Horror DNA
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tony-jones
There is absolutely no point reading a book by a publisher called “Grindhouse Press” and then moan about it being too bloodthirsty. Let’s just say when it comes to Matt Kurtz’s Kinfolk, the reader truly gets what is on the label of the tin, in large gore-filled quantities. Yes, this is an extremely violent book, however, it is also very skillfully written and I never truly got the feeling it is overtly gratuitous. Having said that, it will certainly be too much for some palates, so you have been ...more
Matt
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap!!! Want to be stressed out and reading as frantic as you can? Are you okay with gallons of blood and super intense action? Want to see a mix of From Dusk to Dawn and Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Then grab your sawed off shotgun, your brother and a need for revenge and get on this!

I'll have a bigger review for Gingernuts of Horror, but know that I loved this book.
Diamond
You're probably familiar with the story, city people driving through the countryside end up taking a detour on the backroads, an accident leaves them stranded with no cell phone service, and find themselves crossing paths with a family of backwoods cannibals. Kinfolk hits all the notes and features the tropes, but this isn't about a group of college kids looking for a party that get picked off in a variety of gruesome ways, this is about a pair of armed and dangerous criminals out for revenge. B ...more
Brad Tierney
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is fucking awesome. You get exactly what you expect to get here, pure hillbilly horror. A fast paced storyline made the chapters fly by, I read this sucker in one sitting, I didn’t even get up to pee. Scrumptious gore in all the right places is the cherry on top. Again, I’m sold by a perfect synopsis and way, way more than satisfied with this book in every manner.
4/5 Precious Skulls
💀💀💀💀
Ash
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2 badasses, running into a couple of bigger badasses on their way to kill the ultimate badass. That is a recipe for disaster.

The book was very entertaining. A little predictable but entertaining. I’ll give it a 3,5 stars out of 5.
Tracy Robinson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5!

Recently, I have begun seeking out more and more titles from Grindhouse Press. They offer a diverse range of horror and dark fiction that pushes me to expand the boundaries of the types of horror fiction I enjoy.

Kinfolk, by Matt Kurtz is no exception. When I saw the synopsis mention a pair of brothers that “get stranded along a hunting ground patrolled by a family looking for fresh meat to feed their hunger for flesh”, I HAD TO READ IT. Backwoods gory cannibalism? Yes, please. This does pu
John Bender
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
2019.

This short novel hits my personal sweet spots-- hints of 70s exploitation, with wild rednecks, blasts of gore, the all-time quest for revenge.

I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle. I purposely delayed reviewing it until 2019, because I want to give it a push into the New Year.

I haven't read any Matt Kurtz before, but I'm intrigued. He writes clean and simple, and has a good eye for action and planning scenes. I guess it's no surprise that he used to be a filmmaker!

Oh, and Precious. 😉 r
Matt Spencer
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A hell of a ride

I've seen this book described as "From Dusk Til Dawn meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and yeah, that certainly fits: outlaw brothers on the run fall afoul of a family of backwoods Texas redneck serial killers, and it's a hell of a fight. Kurtz's bio says he's a former filmmaker, which makes perfect sense, as this often reads like something that began life as a screenplay before being re-writen as a short novel... which sometimes works in the book's favor, other times not so much, s
Serenity
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad

Not bad. Loved the gore. Well written. Just not very original. The book was like a knock-off Leatherface story. Just an ok read.
Patty Ward

• Skullface Boy
  • Bone White
  • The Girl Who Hid in the Trees
  • My Pretties
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
Former filmmaker and current writer. To read more about him and his work, please visit www.MattKurtzWrites.com ...more