Start by marking “Spiral Into Darkness” as Want to Read:
Spiral Into Darkness

Spiral Into Darkness

He blends in. He is successful, intelligent and methodical. There are no clues. There are no leads. The only thing the FBI and local police have to go on is the method of death: two bullets to the face- gruesome and meant to send a message. But it's difficult to understand any message coming from a dark and damaged mind. Two adopted boys, struggling in their own world, hav ...more
Published January 17th 2019 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Spiral Into Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiral Into Darkness

Start your review of Spiral Into Darkness
Felicia
DNF @ 40%

This is the first time I've failed to finish an ARC, however, I'll offer my thoughts on what I was able to get through.

The description sounded very intriguing as I really love serial killer stories. This ended up being more of a police procedural story which is not a genre that I favor with virtually no time spent with the killer at all.

There are sooooo many characters in this book it borderlines on ridiculous. I'm talking more than a dozen, probably closer to twenty, honestly it could
Linda Strong
3.5 STARS

Are they random killings? A professional businessman, school principal, stay at home wife, and a 15 year old boy are just some of the victims of a serial killer. He walks up to them, assures himself they are indeed his target, then shoots them twice in the face and calmly walks away.

There are no clues .. no leads ... no witnesses. Is he sending a message? Are these cases connected? And who could possibly be next?

This is a well written crime fiction, but there's a lot more involved. Not
Pat Welte
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story, the suspense was there. At first, this seemed like random killings and this author kept me interested from beginning the very end. I found the characters were well written and that I cared about what happened to them. I have never read a book by this author, but I will definitely be looking for more to read.
James Glass
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got an advanced copy to read. The story is solid, the characters are solid and unique, and the plot kept my attention. It's a crime thriller I'd recommend once the final version is edited. ...more
Caroline Venables
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was obvious from reading it, that there was an ongoing story but I found this could be read as a standalone.

The story is quick paced and well written, and explores lots of different themes. I love the family the author has created in the book. A bunch of young, damaged boys all now loved and cared for by Jeremy and Vicki. The bond that the boys share is unique and an interesting theme that the book explores, their love for each other forged through each others sens
Jessica Belmont
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spiral Into Darkness really takes you on a ride into darkness. Admittedly, there are uncomfortable aspects of this novel, but it fits the overall theme and ideas.

Joseph Lewis has created this as a stand alone that follows characters from his previous books, but honestly, I wasn’t confused. There was enough history to understand who these people were to read this and not feel lost.

There isn’t a main character. Instead, this is a really in depth look into human psychology and that is where some of
Rowena Hoseason
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Great title. Great cover art. Very confused book. It comes over as a curiously explicit young-adult domestic drama tacked on to a plot about a seemingly random serial killer. Spends more time exploring the confused sexuality of teenage boys than it does investigating the series of murders. It’s a bit like an X-rated version of The Brady Bunch with a homicidal maniac for added interest.

The plot is actually quite engaging, but it gets buried beneath a vast cast of characters and way too much adole
Kathy Whitby
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was another one of Joe’s books I just couldn’t put down! His character development is phenomenal and I feel as if I know each of them personally. The plots are intricate and present day. Can’t wait for the next book!
Kathy Whitby
Justin
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Great book. Thrilling mystery with an underlying psychological theme. Lots of action, suspense, twists, and a focus on protecting your own. Recommend reading all of books by this author first to understand the characters best. There are a few graphic parts involving sexual acts among teenagers, but it fits into the context of the overall series.
Elli (Kindig Blog)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
A serial killer is on the loose, with the eight victims seemingly picked at random. As time runs out who will be the next victim and can the killer be stopped?

I was really irritated with Spiral into Darkness as nowhere on its NetGalley, Amazon or Goodreads page does it mention that this is part of a series and you really need a lot of context to understand the truly weird dynamics of the many characters in this book.

The story itself starts well - a police chief is called to join a large, special
Shohinee Deb
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on https://trailsoftales620253622.wordpr...
Riddle me this

An ambitious man in his early 30s, youngest partner at his advertising firm, a workaholic, competent, always dressed to the nine….

A 54 year old middle school principal, a devoted wife, kind, affectionate, sensitive, well loved….

What do these two have in common?

Nothing but that they were both shot

Twice

In the face

And all that the shooter said was this

You should not have done it

A series of murders, same modus
Neonila
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I tried not to DNF this completely, but it was just so bad that I had to at least skim read this. At first I thought that this book was just going to be a regular mystery/thriller book, but boy was I disappointed.

I don't use the word "hate" very often, but this book made me hate my entire existence, and the fact that I had to keep reading this made me want to disappear from Earth. The beginning was super boring, but then we got introduced to these 6 half-brothers, who went through very terrible
Katrina
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, crime, netgalley
There were some aspects of the story that I liked, unfortunately, I didn't realise this was part of series so that threw me a little. Also felt there were far too many characters introduced too quickly to keep track of.

With thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the Arc in exchange for an honest review
Steph Warren
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Spiral into Darkness is an unusual psychological thriller, with some disturbing and thought-provoking content.

Firstly, I would highly recommend that the author’s previous books are read before you try this one, as there is a lot of context and history between the characters prior to this story. The author does fill us in as h
David Cain
Apr 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
The first paragraph in chapter seven of this garbage novel told me everything I need to know about the author's writing style: "Eiselmann wore his sports coat with his t-shirt and jeans, just as Batiste and Dahlke did. Alamorode wore an expensive tailor-made three-piece suit. Weist and Storm wore nearly matching pantsuits with a white blouse on Storm and a cream-colored blouse on Weist. Graff had dressed down to khakis and a police polo. O’Connor did not bother with any formality. He wore what h ...more
New Book Reviewer
The story is a blend of psychological thriller/mystery with crime fiction.

The story starts with the murder of a young advertising executive. One day he was following his everyday normal routine, and when he reached the garage, suddenly he heard a voice and was shot dead.

The story continues with the next murder of Shirley Bodencamp, a middle school principal. One day after work, she heard a voice calling her name. As she turned, she was shot dead.

The story continues by appointing Jamie as Chief
Valerie Joy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I know you should never judge a book by its cover...but we all do. A crime thriller about a serial killer with a dark and foreboding looking cover? What could be more perfect! I was really excited to start reading!

The scenes with the killer in them were gripping but there was so much else wrong with this book that I did not finish reading it.

There are some problems with the writing. Typos that are so bad that a few times I had to stop reading to try and work out what the sentence was supposed t
Natalie Gardner
Mar 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I never normally don’t finish books but 2019 has already bought me a second such one, after previously being unable to continue listening to an audio book I talked about in my January Book Reviews.

I started off slowly with this one as it was quite laden with ‘technicalities’ of the policing system and how people are organised. The first two chapters were great, describing the two murders and this really grabbed my attention, leaving you with many questions like why, who and what could link them.
M
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Because I always finish my books, regardless of whether I am enjoying them or not, I finished this one . I struggled to do just that with it. This book would not inspire me to buy another by this author. However one bad does not make an author bad. I dreaded each time I picked it and counted down the percentage of reading that remained on my Kindle. There is a lot of guy on guy action in the book. It was hard to believe the story; found it to be over the top in so many ways. Ending was unfulfill ...more
Sue Blanchard
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thankyou to NetGalley, Black Rose Writing and the author, Joseph Lewis, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Spiral Into Darkness in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
Unfortunately, this book was not for me. I struggled to maintain an interest in the storyline. The narrative seemed quite flat to me.
Joseph Lewis
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Suspenseful, thoughtful. A Crime Thriller with psychology thrown in. Solid characters. Entertaining. Highly recommend.
Seonaid
Jul 06, 2019
Chris Downey
Jun 11, 2019
Sharon C
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I forced my way through about 50% of Spiral Into Darkness and then quit. It was so badly written; where was the editor? In the first 10% of the book, the author presents no fewer than 34 named characters, including 14 cops or FBI agents!!! By the 50% mark, none of the characters had been fleshed out and what characterization there was didn't ring true. Beyond that, the subject matter was extremely dark, not just murder but the sex trafficking of young boys. And I say that as someone who reads th ...more
Olga Spice
Feb 10, 2019
Patricia W. Housand
Sep 04, 2020
Rachelle
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
I really try not to DNF a book and I try not to write a negative review but this was a very difficult book for me.
The overall plot is good but gets lost in all the extras. There are way too many characters, most of which have absolutely no bearing on how the story plays out. I don't feel like any of the characters get fleshed out, especially the central ones.

There is a whole lot of unnecessary information and repetition. If all the unnecessary things were removed the book would be about half as
Jennywren
rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2019

• The Playing Card Killer
  • Cain
  • Dark Rainbow: Queer Erotic Horror
  • Slick Justice
  • Binding Blood (Bonds of Blood #3)
  • The Window
  • Four Real
  • Winds of Deception (Enigma, #2)
  • Menage a Trois
  • A Gorgeous Mess (The Bent Zealots MC, #2)
  • Edge of Torment: (A BDSM Romance)
  • Murder by Magic (DI Skelgill Investigates, #5)
  • Pleasure Extraordinaire 1 (Pursuit, #4)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Abby & Sei Thriller Starter (Abby Kane FBI Thriller/Sei Assassin Thriller)
  • Halloween Dragon (Lewiston Dragons #2)
  • Pitch Black (Blackwood Security, #1)

News & Interviews