Start by marking “Finding Mrs. Ford” as Want to Read:
Finding Mrs. Ford

Finding Mrs. Ford

On a sunny summer morning by the sea in New England, Susan Ford’s cocoon of privilege is threatened when an Iraqi man from her distant past boards a plane in Baghdad to come find her.

Mrs. Ford leads a privileged life. From her Blenheim spaniels to her cottage on the coast of Watch Hill, Rhode Island, she carefully curates her world. Hair in place, house in place, life in p
Published June 25th 2019 by Post Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding Mrs. Ford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Mrs. Ford

Jennifer Blankfein
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twists and turns kept me glued to the pages of Finding Mrs. Ford, this fun and mysterious debut from Deborah Goodrich Royce, the actress who played Silver Kane, sister to Erica Kane in All My Children.

Summertime, late 1970s, Detroit…Susan and Annie meet at their mundane jobs at a clothing store and become fast friends. The girls are saving up for college and Annie, the spitfire, decides they both will quit and go to work at a disco to make more money, so Susan goes along with it. Dangerous and p
Michelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were two things that attracted me to this book, firstly Baghdad was mentioned and I'm a sucker for all books Middle East and secondly, the author was in 91210 and we all loved a bit of that back in the day.

Sadly Baghdad is barely featured, its only really there as a reference as all of the actual story line is based in the USA.

I admit that the first few chapters I was regretting my choice, then all of a sudden I was there, involved, right in the centre not knowing where to look first.

The
Christina Claypool
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's always an honor to get to read an ARC of a soon-to-be published book. This novel was even more intriguing, since it was written as a debut novel by a (former) actress. This detail lends to the mystique and glamour somehow.
Hopefully, since I am a journalist by profession, my vocabulary is pretty good, but I still had to google some words and look up specific references occasionally that I wasn't familiar with which appeared in the book. For me, this is a positive detail as it causes the rea
Tea Leaves and Reads
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

We meet Mrs Ford in her carefully curated life - Blenheim Spaniels, Watch Hill Cottage in Rhode Island, close community, not a hair out of place... Mrs Ford has everything under control. Until the FBI arrive at her front door...

The book focuses on the current time (2014) with flashes back to the Summer of 1979, on t
Hilary A.
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a GOOD read from cover to cover, with vivid visual imagery that totally transports the reader from the serenity of an elite seaside town on the picturesque East Coast to a late 70's era Detroit suburban disco, where the characters you meet entice you to go on a compelling and unexpected journey! Deborah Goodrich Royce is a clever writer with a keen sense of how to captivate, with cryptic clues, knowable characters and engaging dialogue. Anybody who ever explored the club scene of th ...more
Jeanne Blasberg
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to be an early reader of this fantastic page turner. Entertaining, suspenseful and vibrant settings. You won't be able to put it down!
Travel.with.a.book
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
First I want to thank the author for the review copy.
This review does not contain spoilers.
I enjoyed the book so much and reading the synopsis I was more interested to read it so I got a copy from the author and the book did not disappoint me at all.
The books like "Finding Mrs. Ford" are the kind of books that will leave you in suspense from the beginning of the story and until you read the last page you will have shivers all over your body.
I don't like to write reviews with spoilers containing
Hristina
This book surprised me by how easy it was to read.
It was written in a way that flowed really well, but with an aftertaste of eeriness too. The plot was executed well, it was paced to my liking. I really liked the story, the mystery was woven into the text just beautifully and the two timelines, or all the twists, didn't make it confusing as some books do.
I enjoyed every bit of how tangible this book seemed, and the suspense that came with it. It was really hard to put it down.

*Copy received thro
Kayo
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Thanks to author, publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
BookTrib.com
Deborah Goodrich Royce’s debut novel Finding Mrs. Ford (Post Hill Press) stars two young women who routinely make astonishingly bad choices while the reader cringes, hoping for the best despite the odds.

Susan is the sensible one of the two, but she is beguiled by the beautiful, willful, capricious, and uninhibited Annie who talks her friend into one sketchy situation after another. Susan even goes on one fool’s errand in the middle of the night dressed in her nightgown (Put on some pants, girl.)
MM COOPER
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's always daunting when a friend asks you to read their book, but marvelous when the book turns out to be a page-turner from cover to cover. The author draws you in to a suspenseful yarn, threading between past and present, with constant mystery and foreboding. Her style reminds me very much of Patricia Highsmith, where nothing is ever what is seems. A very fun and worthwhile read. Congratulations to Deborah Royce, a born writer.
Sus
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! One day read
Tracy Cavanah
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to net galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book it was a great experience for me first time reading this authors books Definite favorite. The book really kept your interest, and was great all the way through. Highly recommend this book.
Rebecca Oberholtzer
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will be released next month, June 25! And it is a MUST read. The plot is mysterious and you'll try but fail at guessing what happens next! Thank you, #netgalley for the pre-release!
Patricia Chadwick
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding Mrs. Ford, a literary thriller, is a page turner as it takes the reader from the summer of 1979 in suburban Detroit to the summer of 2014 in the seaside resort town of Watch Hill (Rhode Island). From the opening chapter, the tension gains momentum as the summer exploits of two teenage girls in the past morph into an ominous reality in the present. Deborah Goodrich Royce is masterful in her depiction of both scene and character - the visual intensity of her writing is gripping. This is th ...more
Eloise Robbertze
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Finding Mrs. Ford by Deborah Goodrich Royce is a thriller, alternating between 1970’s Detroit (think sex, drugs and gangsterism) and present-day Rhode Island (the subdued, wealthy, upper-class hidden away from the rest of us).

The premise of the book is interesting, and I was looking forward to the fast-paced writing filling the pages with twists and turns. I was disappointed. It is an easy, quick to read novel, but it fell short of what I expected from Ms. Royce. I saw the major twist coming. Ev
Jen Mellen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great, fast paced story with some unexpected twists, interesting characters and memorable scenes!
JANELLE || WHATSHESEEES
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Huge thanks to Jennifer at Post Hill Press for sending me a free copy of Finding Mrs. Ford!!

Finding Mrs. Ford is a debut novel written by the ever so lovely Deborah Goodrich Royce, A.K.A formerly known as Silver Kane (Erica Kane's sister) on the soap opera All My Children.
I was a huge fan of AMC growing up, always watching it with my aunt, were some of my fondest childhood memories with her. When I found out that Deborah, wrote this novel, I immediately wanted to read it!! And now I'm here to te
Maureen Connolly
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-read
Deborah Goodrich Royce’s debut novel, Finding Mrs. Ford, has become a phenomenon and is being referred to affectionately as simply Mrs. Ford. What is it about this book?
Royce’s main character, the Staid Mrs. Ford of Watch Hill Rhode Island – for those who are unaware, is like a mini-Newport – is in for the ride of her life when one day in 2014, the FBI arrives to question her about her past. The trigger is Mrs. Ford’s relationship with a mysterious man, a Chaldean, who she knew thirty years prio
prithvi karthikeyan
Enthralling and Unputdownable

Deborah Royce has written an excellent thriller that unfolds like a film in terms of the pace of the plot and the vividness of description of both characters and locations. What separates it from other thrillers however is her capacity for arresting observation that is as potent when it shines a light on the consciousness of every character's point of view or the history of each setting - Detroit, NYC and Watch Hill.

She discusses the effect of the attractiveness of
Alison Cairns
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a few surprises and twists along the way in a book that jumps back and forward between 1979 and 2014. We are following the life of quiet, studious Susan Bentley, who lives with her elderly, sick father in a Detroit suburb in 1979 when she is about to finish her final year at college. Her quiet summer job in a local clothing store soon changes when she meets Annie Nelson. Annie persuades Susan to come and work in a notorious local disco, run by Frankie, a dodgy seeming character. We dis ...more
Sherrie
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't wait for there to be a movie of this book, Finding Mrs. Ford by Deborah Goodrich Royce, so many plot twists and turns, such a pleasure to read. The story is told in two part; one about a couple of young girls in the late 1970's who are Annie and Susan and the other part told from 2014 about Mrs. Ford and her stepson Jack Jr. The story continues from the young girls with dating, working, meeting young guys along with some bad choices and dangerous guys, along to the second part and later ...more
Jesika
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s
If you are looking for a contemporary mystery, this book definitely deserves to be picked up! The blurb is misleading (at least the UK one is) in alluding to a much more politically driven plot -this is in there, but it isn't really a key issue.

Mrs Ford has a seemingly perfect life and her narration really pulls you in. Just when you're beginning to wonder what the mystery is supposed to be -because everything so far seems pretty cut and dry- at exactly 50% (thanks, kindle) the whole narrative t
LianaReads blog
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was definitely an interesting and unexpected story.Going back to her early life, Susan is remembering her past and everything that she keeps locked down in her heart.I've enjoyed this story, there are many things that I liked and was invested to know more about how people were living their lives in 1979. ( Jeez I wasn't even born then and maybe that's why it was more appealing to me)It's a good written book, with a great main female character and a fast paced at times story, it kept me want ...more
Chris Foley
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow - First, let me say that I have never won ANYTHING! SO winning this copy of Mrs Ford was so much fun. With that being said, I did not let that influence my rating of the book.

I really enjoyed this storyline, and have to admit that it took me a long time to figure out what might be coming. I see a lot of reviews saying it was "predictable," I didn't get that at all. I was shocked really by the twist & turns.

What I loved most was the descriptive way the scenery was laid out. There are au
Jane
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads First-reads. This did not influence my review.

Finding Mrs Ford is a riveting thriller. Susan Ford lives a good life in 2014 in the village of Watch Hill, Rhode Island. But back in 1979 she was in the thick of the seamy side of Detroit. She became fast friends with Annie Nelson. When Annie decides to change her job and go to Frankie's Disco she talks Susan into joining her. While Susan tries to be true to herself Annie is just the opposite. She becomes mixed up
Jessica
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Monica
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this ARC from a Goodreads giveaway for my honest opinion. Thanks to Post Hill Press for the ARC.

Finding Mrs. Ford is a wonderful book that has a great build up to the hallway point that left me thinking what the crap!

Susan Ford is enjoying life of the privileged in Watch Hill, RI. All of that changes when one summer morning the FBI visit her. They ask if she knows a man named Sammy Fakhouri. She denies knowing him and so the slow build up begins.

There are flashbacks to the Summer of 1979,
Lianne
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“A single gunshot cracks the air…But even after all these years, she is still rattled by the sound of gunfire.” Thus, the reader is hooked into Finding Mrs. Ford, a debut novel by Deborah Goodrich Royce. In retrospect, I should have caught the foreshadowing sprinkled among the straightforward prose, but I was caught up in the exciting story of the two main characters. The author uses an effective plot device of traveling between two periods: the present in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, and the summe ...more
June
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I tend to read historical fiction so this was a totally different read for me.
The unlikely friendship between two teenage girls during the 70's Disco scene in Detroit leading up to a seaside resort in Rhode Island in 2014. Throw in a murder and a twist I never saw coming made this a book I couldn't put down.
I am so grateful to have won an advance copy of Finding Mrs. Ford from a Goodreads giveaway and thank Post Hill Press for the opportunity of expanding my reading genre. Will definitely re
« previous 1 3 next »
FINDING MRS. FORD - named one of Forbes's Top 5, Good Morning America's Top 10, & Book Riot's Top 50 Summer Books of 2019!

Deborah Goodrich Royce graduated Summa Cum Laude from Lake Erie College in 1980 with a BA in modern foreign languages (French and Italian) and a minor in dance. In 2008, she received an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from the same institution.

Deborah was an actress i