Start by marking “Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money” as Want to Read:
Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money

Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money

Ken Honda—Japan’s #1 bestselling personal development guru—teaches you how to achieve peace of mind when it comes to money with this instant national bestseller.

Too often, money is a source of fear, stress, and anger, often breaking apart relationships and even ruining lives. We like to think money is just a number or a piece of paper, but it is so much more than that. Mo
Audiobook
Published June 4th 2019 by Simon Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Happy Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Money

Start your review of Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money
Elizabeth Tai
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
It highlighted lots of concerns I have about having an unhealthy relationship with money, but I feel that it was scant on solutions. Overanxious about your financial situation or a bit of a Scrooge when it comes to money? Be grateful with what you have, says Honda. Unfortunately the roots for these attitudes go very deep and while gratitude and cultivating relationships and a community is a great first step, it isn’t enough to change it.
Liane Wakabayashi
Ken Honda is one of Japan's best loved and best selling authors, with more than a whopping 8 million books sold. So when he writes in Happy Money that he's already figured out what he would do if he lost all his wealth, we have to giggle. He has a good 50 close friends--he says. And if he had to, he would stay for a week at each of the friend's houses--if he had nowhere else to go. Okay, 8 million books. A world-renowned public speaker and deliverer of seminars to thousands at a time--this scena ...more
Genevieve Trono
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy Money is not a self-help book about how to manage your money but more about your actual relationship with money. It covered some really thought-provoking topics including how many of us have deeply ingrained thoughts and beliefs about finances that we adopted from our experiences with money as young children.

Honda's theory is that your relationship with life will mirror what your relationship is like with money. I appreciated his dialogue about being grateful about money going out and com
Joanna Marie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First time to finish an audiobook! Thank you for giving not only a financial advice but also making the readers realize that emotions and psychology toward money is also just as important and impactful.

It also gives a positive insight to managing money despite the challenges behind earning, saving, spending or investing it. I have enjoyed Happy Money.
Atina Atwood
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable read for those of us who are into investigating the emotional connections that we have with money, and how those connections affect how we individuals deal with money.

I certainly didn’t pick up the book for tips on how to become a millionaire or anything; I was attracted to the book because it takes on a complex concept - money - and invites the reader to make a seeming simplistic assessment of their personal relationship with it by recalling emotional experiences associate
Shako Inasaridze
Ken honda the author of the book has such a great way explaining what is money , he is demonstrating how much we are attached to money emotionally and how to understand them and heal our wounds. Maybe the best book for those who are starting journey towards financial Freedom. Highly recommended
Kate McCready
Ah it pains me to give a two star review to a book that has a big heart. I truly believe Ken Honda is a wonderful man with the best of intentions for the world. But this book could have been a short essay or a blog. Actually in the end if the book there are Five Steps to Happy Money. You could probably just read these and get the idea.

It’s definitely not a bad book. There are a few good quotes in there. But I’d suggest borrowing it from a library and having a flick.

The book also talks in the ‘
Carol
I read, then immediately re-read this book - it unexpectedly made me feel so relived and calm after YEARS of being a secretly seething red hot jealous mess about other people's (apparent) wealth. Many, many great insights which resonated very, very deeply with me. (However, beware: this was offset with a bit of silly waffling that didn't really grab me so much... ) Overall, though, I am amazed (and humbled!) at the extent to which this book has actually changed my entire outlook on money by simp ...more
Yk Chia
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: happiness
Light heated book. I enjoyed reading it but it was too lengthy. Feels like it could havr been summarized in a blog post.

Main gist is to appreciate life and that would make people and money be attracted to you.

Not a good book for people who are struggling financially.

But good for people with money and are still facing stress. It makes you relax and love life.

"A willingness to give and receive, rather than keep a tight clutch on what we have, is what creates the conditions for Happy Money"
Haru
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Money. Hate or love it, you can't live in today's society without interacting with it. That, unlike feelings, you cannot choose, it's not an option. Everything requires money to do. Did you know that your parent's relationship with money, is your relationship with money? Did you even know there was such a thing as a relationship with money? Ya me neither. For the frequency of interactions with money, we really know so little about it. You can't escape it, so why not master it?
Do we need money t
Ietrio
Jun 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Honda is another shallow New Age guru. Sure, all you have to do is not think of that and the godly powers will shower you with whatever you are not thinking about. Like frogs. What? You wanted money, among the "things not thought about"? The godly powers are perfect, so probably your heart wasn't pure enough.

Or short: if it's good, it does not come from you. If it's bad, you should take responsibility.
Mel
I didn’t love this book but I had one takeaway. I really liked the idea of saying thank you to your money as it comes it and as it goes out. I actually felt something shift in my brain as I murmured “thank you,” as I paid my mortgage this month.
Natasia Angel
This book opens my mind even more. And he's given me a second chance to start anew in my way of thinking about money. ありがとう,せんでい!
Anri
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, money
I liked this book, but I feel American audiences will dismiss it out of hand.

Can we try, just once, not to be so hard-bitten and cynical? Just once? I know it's not trendy to be happy about stuff, but what would really be so bad about getting to a place where you're content with where you are, financially? I feel hesitant about recommending it though, because I know Americans are just going to be cynical and dismissive, just like they are with Marie Kondo.

This author isn't as popular as Marie i
Karen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had an interesting relationship with money. Even though I've been lucky enough to have enough of it all my life, I still have a lot of anxiety around it, especially around providing for my family. I think the anxiety is not serving me but I haven't really figured out a way to resolve it. So when I saw this book, I was excited to see what it could teach me.

I've highlighted many, many sections of this book and of course I am not "healed" but it has given me a lot of food for thought. It focu
Antonio
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-development
This was incredible refreshing read about the money and our relationship with the money. The main thing is to try to get rid of the scarcity mentality, to be grateful and to allow flow of happy money. And happy money is when you earn it and spend it with joy...

In author's words "the moral of the story: What you own isn’t the most important thing in life. People are. You are. So focus on your life, what makes you feel most alive while you’re here, and create as many wonderful memories as you can.
Rebecca Collins
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! I really hope my mom reads it and takes notes. I recommend giving this book to anyone struggling with finances
Queonna White
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read!!! A couple of years ago I had a conversation with my money as if it was my lover and to come across this book to confirm my feelings and actions is just 🤩

Arigato!!!😊
Cathy
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting perspective on money and some of the ways we often think about it. Honda recommends thinking of it as energy, and learning to trust the flow of money like we trust the flow of different types of energy. I didn't agree with everything he says but I do like his suggestion of always saying thank you to both the money you receive and the money you spend, and being grateful for the good that you can do by spending money (supporting businesses you admire, helping people earn a good living, ...more
Lovely Loveday
Happy Money is an insightful read that is sure to make you stop and think. A book that will help you transform your life to focus more on the now and less on the money. To find ways to experience happiness and abundance together. Happy Money is written more like a conversation than a lecture or a self-help book. A how to change your relationship with money from a struggle to flow more easily. Happy Money is an informative read that is sure to help the reader.
She
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
There were several interesting ideas in the book and I like the idea of it. The book spent a lot of time laying out the reasons to have a happy relationship with money, but it didn't give many ways to help do that. I think it also downplays the fact that bills have to be paid and it's easier said than done to get rid of the fear of not being able to get them paid or have enough money to live.
Maura
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes! Yes! Yes! Arigato, Ken Honda for sharing your pearls of wisdom! A great gift for ALL!
Horacio
Say a lot of arigato to your money.
Amit Verma
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are two types of book about self finance-
1. Technical
2. Psychological
..This book falls in second category. Only earning money is not enough to be happy, free, secure and powerful.

.It tries to answer questions like,
a. Why poor people of Bhutan are happier than millionaire of USA,
b. And why unethical people keep earnings lots of money.
c.And why money is not equal to freedom and security.
And many more fundamental questions.
And it also explores how we may become rich as well as happy.

Autho
Anushree
This book is practical, sweet and simple. It clearly distinguishes a life that is wealthy and comfortable from a life that is wholesome, full of genuine goodness and meaningful. It questions what we understand by money and established that it may look something different in the future as a form of exchange of energy. It also highlights that people who are wealthy and happy, both, not just happy or wealthy, are the people who are intelligent, hard working, love what they do and possess a generosi ...more
A.M.
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, audiobook
I’ve seen a couple of comments that this was the Marie Kondo money book, and that’s kind of accurate.
I agree that a lot of our ideas about money come from our parents, or grandparents. Also, I think that money is one of the few things that grows well when you leave it alone, but it has to be in the right places to grow, and that does require your attention. So being aware of what your money is doing, is probably a good first step.
His solutions are a bit on the vague side - be grateful for what y
Ellen Pilch
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
IN full disclosure, I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. All opinions are my own. I really enjoyed this book and I am trying to make my money happy with the hope of acquiring more. So far, no luck.
The author has written several books in Japan that have helped people acquire money. I wish there were English versions of these because I think it would make this book even more helpful.
Basically, we need to treat money with respect. Have it nicely organized in your wallet or purse, not all crump
Maribella
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020reading-list
I really enjoyed this books, it focused on how we learn to deal with money , the difference between abundance mindset and scarcity mindset. How gratitude changes everything . It enables you to be present . Happy money isn’t about making more money , but rather about having the attitude of abundance. It’s focuses on the flow of gratitude and how we can impact those around us and open the flow of more money coming into your life. It reminds you that money ebbs and flows .

Biggest takeaway is that
Lexi
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

I enjoyed reading this book. It is a well written, entertaining read. I appreciate the positive spin on making and spending money. I think adding positivity to your life is always a good thing. However; I do not perceive this as being an actual self-help book. There are many suggestions on changing your relationship with money and adding positivity to your life. I would consider this book an anecdotal understanding of the author’s positive relationship with money.

I would recommend this boo
QTariq
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During the first few pages it didn't seem amazing, but as I read on towards the end it's great. Mainly because it also focuses on the power of being grateful, which is taught in Islam as well. I link it to Islam a lot even though it has Zen aspects to it, which brings an interesting concept of perceiving money as a form of charge and a current (hence 'currency'). My favourite example on money is treating it like water. If you keep it still, it's murky like still water. It's meant to be flowing. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Maro Up: The Secret to Success Begins with Arigato: Wisdom from the “Warren Buffet of Japan”
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Letters From An Astrophysicist
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • On the Corner of Love and Hate (Hopeless Romantics, #1)
  • Walking to Aldebaran
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • Big Driver
  • Cat Got Your Crown (Kitty Couture Mystery #4)
  • The Woman Who Spoke to Spirits (A World’s End Bureau Victorian Mystery #1)
  • One Heart at a Time
  • The Shanghai Free Taxi: Journeys with the Hustlers and Rebels of the New China
  • The Wood: The Life & Times of Cockshutt Wood
  • The Fire Engine That Disappeared  (Martin Beck, #5)
  • And Then There Were Crumbs (A Cookie House Mystery, #1)
  • Impeachment: What Everyone Needs to Knowr