Start by marking “A Day So Gray” as Want to Read:
A Day So Gray

A Day So Gray

Once you start to notice, colors and reasons for gratitude are everywhere, and that changes everything! Celebrate the hues and comforts of a cozy winter day as a discontented girl at first notices only dull grays and browns in a snowy landscape but is coaxed by her friend to look more closely. Soon she finds orange berries, blue water, purple shadows, and more. Warm ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about A Day So Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day So Gray

Start your review of A Day So Gray
Lisa Vegan
I wanted to love this. I love the idea of seeing all sorts of colors in what appears to be a gray day. For me though the “story” was plodding and didactic. It consists of one friend saying everything is gray (or black – I didn’t like the black cats are bad luck part not really being challenged) and the other friend pointing out all the colors truly there if viewed carefully. That’s pretty much it, or 95% of it. The illustrations were pleasant and interesting (especially some of the nature ...more
La Coccinelle
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
While the overall premise of this book is nice, it wasn't enough to make me really love the final product.

Two little girls go out into the winter landscape. One of them is a Negative Nellie, constantly complaining about the bleakness of their surroundings. Her friend tries, each time, to turn the observation around. The snow isn't boring and white... it's full of streaks of grey and purple and footprints of green. Eventually, the girls make it to their destination, where the skeptical girl has a
KC
How one friend can help with other with positive thinking. We should all take a lesson. Wonderful illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One friend points out to another rich, colorful details in winter landscape. A good story about positive thinking and looking for beauty.
Ciera
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute little reminder to see the color, and the optimism, in life when it seems a bit gray.
Mary Lee
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The power of positive thinking and the power of looking closely to notice rich, colorful details.
Sandy Brehl
This could be called a "Quiet" book, a gentle story, but there is remarkable strength in the underlying theme within this brief text and unfolding on softly-hued pages.
A story that ties in to friendship, optimism, varied points-oif view, and exploring differences of opinion and approach to the world in supportive, peaceful ways.
Abby Johnson
Two friends look a little deeper into a "day so gray" and find all kinds of splashes of colors waiting there as they trek through the woods, gaze into the fire, and cozy up with some hot cocoa. A beautiful encouragement to look for color everywhere, even in these gray days of winter.
Kris
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really like the illustrations in this one, and the idea of seeing all the colors and beauty in a cold, gray day is appealing. But it felt heavy-handed and almost one-dimensional.
Erin
A cold, gray day is never just one note. It's full of other colors and details if you just pause to take a look. One friend only sees the surface colors, while the other repeatedly encourages them to take another look, see another color, readjust their perspective.

A great book about colors as well as about changing the way you look at things.
Rhica
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great reminder that even on the darkest, grayest days, there are colors all around. A great book to change your attitude about the winter blahs.
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good resource for talking with students about descriptive writing and perspective.
Jared White
On certain "gray days" you just need a friend to help you see the beauty which surrounds you, until you begin to see the wonderful colors for yourself.
Luciana
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great little story to show that all is not how it seems. That even if something looks one way, there is always another way to look at it.

A little girl finds the wintry world gray, but, her little friend points out all the hues of different colours protruding from what is initially a gray wintry scene. The language she uses to describe the hues enhances the illustrations and makes you really look deeply into the picture.

Very rich in text and illustrations!
Ashley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such cozy (yet still bright!) illustrations. Even though the one kid seems like such a naysayer it still captures a happy feeling of exploration with a friend on a slow snowy day. It really taps into memories from my childhood, even if I wasn't such an optimist!

Recommended as a one-on-one for kids who tend to the negative. Great for ages 4-8. Could be integrated into school units on colour, art, and descriptions.
Robin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Winter, friendship, colors, and looking at things from a different perspective all in one book. Cozy and sweet. Highly recommended for ages 4-7, great if you are looking for a book that talks about colors but goes beyond basics.
Mary
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book but didn't. I like the illustrations but the story fell flat for me. One spread rubbed me the wrong way; "Bad luck! That cat is black!." "She's not all black!..." I think it would have been better to explain that black isn't bad in any way.
Ellen
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a great reminder for young and old readers that not everyone sees the day the same way. Cold, gray winter months in particular can be difficult to endure, and sometimes a friend who sees the brighter side can be just the help one needs to start looking at the day a little differently.
Anthony
On a winter day, one child sees only the bland grayness of the season, while her friend challenges her to see the hidden colors all around her. A very inspiring read for those who may suffer or are affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
Erika
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
The art is pretty but I found the story mostly kind of annoying. It could be a cute story for teaching kids about your outlook on life, but it just fell flat for me.
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect read for us grumpy Ohioans.
Courtnei
This book was so beautiful, but just not the right fit for my toddlers at storytime. It's a lovely book about looking on the brightside and finding color even on the dullest of days.
Mandy Robek
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
social emotional learning and opinion mentor text
Dana
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
5 stars for illustrations
Marisa
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful use of color throughout this. Reminiscent of when I decided to pay attention in winter and notice more than just “everything being blah.”
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Colors but also finding the good.
Marie
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Partial! It's my picture book. ;)
Anne Lutomia
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two friends see the same things differently on a gray winter day - one negatively and another one positively. They finally enjoy and agree about a warm fireside and a sunset.
Desiree
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I really love the illustrations in this book and also the message. Sometimes a friend can provide a new perspective to turn a gray sky silver.

Austin Gullett
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book about (1) colors and (2) appreciating the world around you. I loved the illustrations.

• Saturday
  • Unicorn Day
  • Beware!
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • A Stone Sat Still
Marie is the author of YA novels including WHAT I MEANT... (Random House), OVER MY HEAD and DRAWN. Btw, DRAWN is about an artist who falls for a medieval ghost with a sketchy past (attention Outlander fans out there!). Marie's debut picture book, GREEN GREEN: A COMMUNITY GARDENING STORY, co-authored with Baldev Lamba and illustrated by Sonia Sanchez (Farrar Straus Giroux/Macmillan) is all about ...more