Start by marking “Panning for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #28)” as Want to Read:
Panning for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #28)

Panning for Murder (Murder, She Wrote #28)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  507 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Jessica’s plans to enjoy a relaxing cruise to Alaska are dashed when her friend Kathy Copeland joins her. Kathy’s sister vanished from the very same vessel on a prior voyage, and though Wilimena often disappeared on flights of fancy, this time Kathy is convinced of foul play. The Copeland sisters had a notorious aunt—the most famous madam in Alaskan history—who, rumor has ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Signet (first published January 1st 2007)

Kate
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This should be required reading for anyone planning to go on an Alaskan cruise! I picked this book up, having never read a Murder She Wrote book before, because I will soon be going on the exact cruise that Jessica Fletcher goes on in this book. It was a lot of fun to read about all the different ports of call, the glaciers that Jessica sees from her balcony, etc. The setting really played a major role in the story and shaped the characters experiences as opposed to merely being a backdrop and I ...more
Tara
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Murder, She Wrote fan, so when I picked this up at my library's book sale, I was pretty excited.

I was surprised to learn that the book was published in 2007, and seemed to take place in the relative present (they were using email.) But by my estimation, all the main characters of MSW would probably have been dead by then, so that was a little strange. The author(s) laid on the wholesome-ness of JB Fletcher pretty thickly, which can be forgiven considering this is a piece of fan fictio
Aparna
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 3 / 5
Recommendation: If you want an easy and quick murder mystery pick it up and you will enjoy it.

Panning for Murder is the 28th book in the Murder, She Wrote series by Donald Bain and fictional writer Jessica Fletcher based on the popular TV Show of the same name. The book was published in September of 2007. This time around Jessica is involved with hidden treasures, cruises and murders.

The plot opens with Kathy Copeland, a long-time resident of Cabot Cove and a dear friend of Jessica F
Dustin
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Murder She Wrote just might be my favorite show of all time. Something about the idea of mystery writer from Maine with a vaguely British accent who just *happens* to find herself in the midst of constant real-life murders is utterly endearing. I always wondered if any of her mystery novels were produced in the real world, but instead I found the delightfully meta series about Jessica's life as a crime-solving mystery writer, co-authored by Donald Bain and Jessica Fletcher herself.

I picked up th
Kristi
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
In this installment of the Murder, She Wrote series, Jessica embarks on an Alaskan cruise. Unfortunately, her plans for a relaxing vacation are interrupted by the search for a Cabot Cove native who disappeared in Alaska while looking for a long lost stash of gold.

I grew up in the 1980s. I vividly remember watching Murder, She Wrote on Sunday nights with my family. So when I saw Panning for Murder at the library, I jumped at the chance to revisit Jessica and Cabot Cove. The book itself was very e
Rayni
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: Jean
I have never read any Murder, She Wrote books. It was given to me during an extended hospital stay. It took me 6 weeks to read. Not that it wasn't interesting. It was large print, but my mind wouldn't stay focused. Once I got home & started becoming interested in the world outside my pain, agony & diagnosis, I became caught up in the book. I had my own theories about who dunnit. I would've liked an epilogue. It left me with some questions, but ... can't have everything can we?
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ended up being a pretty good entry into the Murder, She Wrote series. It lost me from time to time. Maybe it was because a lot of the action takes place on a cruise ship, but it seemed like there was a lot of down time in the plot. However, by the end it had one me back. The conclusion was both satisfying and unexpected.
Nathan Lawrence
I mean...what did you expect?
Darcysmom
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica is on the case in the wilds of Alaska. She agrees to help her good friend Kathy search for her missing sister Wilimena. The sign up for the same Alaskan cruise that Wili disappeared from in hopes that retracing her steps will help them find her. Unsurprisingly, Jessica stumbles upon two murders while searching for Wili. This is classic Murder She Wrote with the majesty of Alaska's natural beauty as the backdrop.
Barbara Schultz
2.6 I was a big fan of the TV show "Murder, she Wrote". Jessica is on a relaxing vacation cruise to Alaska. LOL Al ot of descriptions of the sights. Although a bit slow on the case; it was still a fun read.
Catherine
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a high rating for a number of reasons. It was an easy, enjoyable book to read which kept my attention throughout. The descriptions of the cruise and the areas they sailed through were vivid and easy to visualize. And I didn't figure it out until close the the end!
Doris
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading an excerpt in a previous novel, I was intrigued to obtain this particular novel and I was not disappointed. Aside from the whole murder-mystery plot, there are detailed descriptions of life on a cruise ship as well as the general travelling of the main character. And while those following either the 'Murder She Wrote' book or television series, or both, will know Cabot Cove and its recurring characters, however, this is not a necessity, in particular since this adventure takes place else ...more
Jamie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In Panning for Murder Jessica Fletcher takes a cruise to Alaska with her friend Kathy, who has come along for the ride in an effort to find her sister, who had disappeared on this same cruise's last voyage and hasn't been seen since. The sister had taken the cruise in an attempt to locate the gold one of their relatives is said to have struck in the gold rush. And Jessica has no shortage of suspects since the sister had gone out of her way to make sure everyone from Augusta to Juneau knew abou ...more
Sofina Khan
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner! It's the 7th MSW novel I've read. I'm addicted! While MSW the show was on during my early childhood, I watch the re-runs every night now. My mom loved it and now I've grown to adore it. It's a cozy, comforting show and Jessica is the person we aspire to be more like. She's respectful, kind, a classy sweet lady.

So regarding this book, I was a bit conflicted about the rating I should give it. I knew early on that Bill was involved, and it was disappointing that he was
Rebecca
Barb
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, the reason I read this one is because it is a book available on Playaway from our library, and I wanted to try a Playaway. If you haven't used one, check your library and see if they're available. It is like having an audiobook downloaded on an ipod, but you don't have to pay for it. Each Playaway has just one book on it, and you listen to it using your own earphones. It was great. I listen to audiobooks while I'm in the kitchen, or quilting, etc., and the Playaway is a nice option in ...more
Erin L
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of the audiobook

Read this for a cozy mystery challenge - I needed a book set on a cruise and this fit the bill, plus I've been wanting to read a Murder She Wrote mystery for awhile. I'm such a huge fan of the old TV series. I was afraid I'd be disappointed picking a book late in the series, but I wasn't.

In this installment, Jessica is off on an Alaskan cruise hoping to find her friend's missing sister. The woman went up to Alaska searching for gold (of course) and hadn't been heard of sin
Bonnie
I remembered the old TV series and figured this audiobook would be at least somewhat entertaining. I was not expecting a lot and it pretty much lived up to my expectations. It was entertaining, but I guessed the villain without a whole lot of trouble. It was a good listen for a family beach trip where there were long stretches where I wasn't listening. I had no trouble remembering what was going on as there was no complexity. My biggest quibble was that the main character with the same name as t ...more
Victoria
Panning for Murder turned out to be a not so bad read! It's not one of those dying to read, page turning books. However as the story progressed, I grew more engaged and it held my interest. The ending is very well written. I like how it's not an abrupt ending proclaiming a perfect happily ever after for everyone, but rather drawn out a tad covering all the angles of each character. Also...side fact real quick for anyone's who is interested.... Murder She Wrote is a show! I've been watching it fo ...more
Katherine Decker
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-bingo
Jessica Fletcher is leaving Maine and heading on vacation- a cruise in Alaska. The ever-charming and favorite mystery novelist/amateur detective is looking forward to a relaxing trip - that is until her friend Kathy asks to tag along as she searches for her missing sister. A traveling companion can be fun... but when a madmen attacks Jessica at a book-signing prior to setting sail - one wonders what other trouble could be brewing.
Intriguing characters, entertaining plot, and the prospect of gold
Pat
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica's much-deserved cruise becomes a working vacation when her friend Kathy tags along, hoping to locate her sister Wilimena, who vanished from the same vessel. Distantly related to Alaska's most famous madam-a woman who may have struck it rich during the Gold Rush-Wilimena apparently took the cruise to find the treasure.

Now, as Jessica and Kathy investigate Wilimena's disappearance, they learn that she was quite outspoken about her gold claim-and may have attracted the wrong kind of attent
Dima Hijazin
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was one of the most interesting books I've read. It was so gripping that I could not put it down and finished it in a few days. The plot is highly interesting and the writer is so talented. She is now definitely my favorite mystery/thriller writer. The way she describes the surrounding, people, face expressions helped me a lot in picturing the story. Although it was a little predictable at the end especially that she made her suspicions really clear.
Teri-K
If you can't take a cruise to Alaska yourself, whale watch and pick up bits of local color, you could read this book instead. It won't be quite the same, but still you'll have an enjoyable trip. These stories aren't as good as the TV show at its best, but they can be an enjoyable way to while away a few hours. I spotted the bad guy right off, but I often do. And still it was fun to read the book and see if I was right.
Carol
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I watched a "Murder, She Wrote" episode. Just saw this in the library, and thought it would be pleasant listening during the holiday. It's a quick listen, and brings back a lot of memories of watching her shows. This one is about a missing sister of a girl from Cabot Cove, and some people that got murdered on the Alaskan Cruise that Jessica and her friend went on. I can just hear my Mom, "nothing like a good clean murder." I enjoyed it a lot.
Kellene
Admittedly, I've read a lot of book in this series for a current bingo challenge. But this one was a bit of a let down for me. I liked the book, but there are others in the series that I would recommend before this one. The setting was good, and the plot was fairly interesting. But I had this one figured out by mid-book (not completely, but I knew who the villain was). The historical angle was fun, but not enough to keep me up late not wanting to put this one down...
Rage
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
jessica fletcher is a boss. there's no situation she's not ready to handle, it seems. I didn't find either of the sisters compelling, and the mystery has a really slow burn, but you'll learn a bit about the history of alaska as you're reading. also: although she's taking a cruise, that experience isn't the main focus (as it is in "the queen's jewels," for example).
Juanita
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual with Jessica, I could not put it down. After having gone on an Alaskan cruise, it was fun to recognize all the cities and ports that were in the story. They were very true to her description and so was her cruise ship experience. I had my suspicions towards the middle of the book but it kept me guessing and was thoroughly enjoyable as are all the Murder She Wrote series.
Julia
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know, Jessica Fletcher is not real and could not possibly have authored this book. That said, I have picked up more than one because they always deliver that comfort food type of mystery with an older woman pulled into the mode of detective and nothing too tough for the brain to take. Especially on Halloween with the doorbell ringing all the time. They're an easy read.
LuAnn
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I absolutely love this series of books, written as though by Jessica Fletcher of Murder, She Wrote. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, but my mother watched every episode so I saw parts of several. The books are definitely cozy mysteries, easy reads, and well-written. There are 27 other books in this series.
Colleen
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of this authors books on Murder, She Wrote. As an avid fan of the television show, I enjoy the books. I can really picture Jessica Fletcher and her Cabot Cove friends as I am reading. There are over ten books on this series by this author and I recommend them all. Enjoy.
  • Murder, They Wrote (Includes: Aurora Teagarden)
  • Dead Roots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #7)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Flourless to Stop Him (A Baker's Treat, #3)
  • Beyond Sunrise
  • The Icing on the Corpse (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries #3)
  • Ghost Trackers
  • Dog Walker
  • Murder Talks Turkey (Gertie Johnson, #3)
  • Fanny (Serendipity)
  • Froggy's Best Babysitter
  • Under a Maui Moon (Hideaway, #1)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and publi
More about Jessica Fletcher...

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)