Start by marking “Edgar: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Edgar: An Autobiography

Edgar: An Autobiography

Patience, persistence, and the most unlikely of circumstances vaulted Edgar Martinez from a poor neighborhood in Dorado, Puerto Rico to the spotlight in Seattle, where he spent the entirety of his 18-year major league career with the Mariners. At last, his path is destined for one last stop: the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

Long before he cemented his status as one
Published June 11th 2019 by Triumph Books

To ask other readers questions about Edgar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edgar

Start your review of Edgar: An Autobiography
Brina
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
From the time I was a kid I complained that I could not read in the car because it made me sick. Today that changed when I saw I had a six hour ride and wanted to make headway in the books I brought with me. The summer is about baseball- I am going to two games this week- so naturally the two books I brought with me are baseball themed. Edgar Martinez was the face of the Seattle Mariners for nearly two decades. Next month he will be inducted into the hall of fame in a large class and I am excite ...more
Ken Heard
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
At first, I didn't really think Edgar Martinez should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. A decent third baseman early in his career, "Gar" made his name by being a designated hitter, meaning he sat on the bench more than 80 percent of the game.

But when looking at his lifetime batting average, his on-base-percentage and the fact that he played his entire career in Seattle, I slowly changed my mind and thought if others, like David Ortiz, are Hall bound, Edgar should be. Also, in an era wh
Sammy Smooth
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Edgar Martinez is the best player in the Seattle Mariners' history. There were a lot of great players, but he played his entire career with one team, and those are the only players that should be considered a team's greatest player.

I really enjoyed the beginning of the book. Edgar talked about his childhood growing up in Puerto Rico and how he got into baseball. In the middle, he broke down each year of his career and started talking about them chronologically. At first, I liked it because he wa
Dustin
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A lifelong, die-hard fan of the Seattle Mariners, I was eager to read this autobiography of Edgar Martinez. He is one of our heroes, the orchestrator of “the double,” with a retired jersey number, a street adjoining the ballpark named in his honor, and finally a plaque in Cooperstown. Pennants, posters and baseball cards of Edgar were prominently displayed in my childhood bedroom. Edgar is a big deal.

Fandom aside, this autobiography didn’t work for me. I appreciated learning new details about hi
Zach Koenig
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edgar Martinez is one of the greatest hitters to ever lace up a pair of cleats, featuring a career filled with iconic moments for the Seattle Mariners baseball franchise. For the most part, his autobiography here does a solid job of capturing those moments. Though perhaps seeming like a bit of a "Hall of Fame case" at times, it isn't overbearing in this capacity.

This is a pretty standard autobio, albeit one that is quite well-written and doesn't air old grievances or gripes like so many of these
Michelle
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t like to review most books, but this one I am very happy to do so. I’ve admired Edgar Martinez for years, and back in 1997 a friend (at the time) and I waited and waited and waited and waited outside the Kingdome (after a ballgame) to get his autograph.

It was getting close to midnight, and he and his wife finally drove out in their BMW and he signed a homemade sign that we made for him! Nobody else was around but us. I’ve collected some of his baseball cards, been to plenty of games he p
Beth Lakin
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I expected this to be a book that I bought as a fan of Edgar’s and had low expectations beyond that.

With Seattle Times sportswriter Larry Stone as co-author, I loved this book. It is more than just an autobiography but at many points a window inside the baseball philosophy of one of the greatest hitters of all time.

I am admittedly a huge Edgar Martínez fan but for those who love baseball and appreciate the importance of hard work, this is more than just a biography released to capitalize on a H
Jessica
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edgar is a compelling biography of Seattle hero Edgar Martinez. Compulsively readable (even for the non-stathead), the book gives an in-depth look at the making of a Hall of Fame player. Full of vivid details about his upbringing, training, work ethic, and especially the challenges he overcame with his eyesight, I finished even more convinced than ever that Edgar's entry to the Hall of Fame is long overdue. The sidebars featuring additional stories and insights from his managers, coaches, teamma ...more
Pamela Okano
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Seattle Mariners and/or Edgar Martinez fan, this is a must read. Edgar teamed with Seattle Times reporter Larry Stone to write a highly readable book that's also full of quotes, both short and long, from former players, coaches, managers, etc. While much of the content is public knowledge, there's some new information as well, which I won't reveal here because that would be spoiling it. And it was fun to relive old times, both good and bad, with the Mariners.
Campbell Andrews
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Threatens to be standard stuff, but distinguishes itself by capturing of Edgar’s voice and, most significantly, contributions from friends, coaches, and players throughout his life. His particular dedication and character are even more impressive than what I knew— and I was watching most of these games while they were being played!
Joshua Morrison
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finished the book over about 1 day period. Any baseball fan should enjoy Edgar’s story and for Mariners fans it’s a wonderful trip through a large portion of the team’s history. So glad Gar made it the Cooperstown and more importantly never left us here in Seattle 🙂⚾️
Clare
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, you probably have to be an Edgar fan to give an autobiography 5 stars... but I really enjoyed it. I learned, I gained more understanding, and I laughed.
Edgar and Larry Stone are clearly good friends and the book is well written.
Ken
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-baseball
Exactly what you hope for from this book. Edgar telling you about when the Mariners were great. I found myself remembering specific games as he walks you through each season. For the Edgar fan this is perfect.
Wayne Robertson
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Nice job of capturing the story of a true gentleman ballplayer.
Carla Sanders
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational story of what hard work, determination, and believing in yourself can do to help you fulfill your dreams.
Jim Patton
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved how the flow went, Edgar would "speak" and then there would be dialogue from his teammates. It was an easy read!
Rachel
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Altogether an insightful look into the life a player who is known for his reserved personality and hard-working disposition. The insight from other teammates and coaches in the appropriate sections helped balance out Edgar's perception of events versus how others perceived him. There's a fair bit of baseball stats and terminology which may be challenging to those unfamiliar with the sport.
Bernadette
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I grew up watching this man play. I loved reading the background of his journey, the anecdotes from former teammates and managers. I wish more athletes were this humble and hardworking!
Eric Solbakken
Jul 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • If These Walls Could Talk: Seattle Seahawks: Stories from the Seattle Seahawks Sideline, Locker Room, and Press Box
  • The Big Fella: Babe Ruth and the World He Created
  • No-Fail Communication
  • Medallion Status: True Stories from Secret Rooms
  • The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History
  • Stonewall of the West: Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • African Safari Field Guide
  • Wealth in Families
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • The Good Liar
  • K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches
  • The Flight Girls
  • Little Weirds
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #19)
  • The Words Between Us