Start by marking “SumoKitty” as Want to Read:
SumoKitty

SumoKitty

Watch out, mice! This cat is a sumo champion!

A stray kitty gets a job in a sumo stable, chasing mice in exchange for food. But when eating like a sumo wrestler slows our feline hero down, he realizes he must train like a wrestler, too. Through hard work and perseverance--and with a little help from a big buddy--SumoKitty is born!
Published August 13th 2019 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about SumoKitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SumoKitty

Start your review of SumoKitty
Tatiana
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture-books
Just the right ratio of educational info and fun.

Learned about sumo wrestling, tied our tongues with some Japanese words and watched a kitty become a sumo wrestler.
Jen
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO ADORABLE!!! The artwork is GORGEOUS, the narrator is a CAT and the story is simple, yet poignant. 5, absolutely purr-fect, stars! Highly recommended to all!
Abigail
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Cat Lovers / Children Interested in Sumo Wrestling
A stray kitty, looking for some food and longing for a home, finds a way to make himself useful at the heya, or training center for sumo wrestlers. But when his plentiful diet makes him a little chubby, and he can no longer catch the mice, out he goes again. Fortunately for our rotund feline, his special sumo friend Kuma lets him in again, and this kitty cat begins to train, eventually getting fit enough to restore his honor as a mouser. Kuma meanwhile, inspired by SumoKitty, manages to beat the ...more
La Coccinelle
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sumo wrestling isn't a common topic for a picture book (at least, I haven't seen very many that incorporate the sport into the story). SumoKitty is about a cat who lives with some sumo wrestlers in exchange for keeping the mice at bay. But soon, weighed down by too much good food, he starts to lose his edge. And then he loses his job. He must persevere and try hard to win back his place... all while being inspired by his much larger human friend.

The message is lovely and the illustrations are ad
Jan Polep
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I struggled with the pronunciation of some of the Japanese words but oh my goodness, SumoKitty is so much fun to look at. This cat lives with Sumo wrestlers and has the job of catching mice in exchange for food and lodging. Let's just say he puts on a few pounds and I'll let you discover the rest of the plot. Fun one.
Amber
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty good read about a cat who catches mice at the sumo wrestlers dojo and becomes a sumo kitty. Be sure to check this book at your local library and wherever books and ebooks are sold.
Woody Chichester
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustration frames this fantastic tale of a stray cat who earns his keep (and plenty of tasty food) at the Sumo's heya as a mousecatcher. Eventually, the mice outsmart him and he needs to learn the ways of the Sumo if he wants to stay. Educational and fun story. I loved the cats expression in so many pictures.
Deb
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena
I really like the illustrations. I like seeing the translations of the Japanese words on most pages. I learned a few things about sumo wrestlers. Very interesting. Sumokitty is a cute, funny kitty with understandable challenges. I will look for more books by David Biedrzycki.
Georgette
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a raffle. I was delighted to read it, because the fat sumokitty does resemble my Sasha. It is an adorable and funny book and the illustrations are great!
Cherie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really cute and funny story of a stray cat that endears itself to a sumo wrestler and learns life lessons in the process. I enjoyed how Japanese proverbs were included, as well as vocabulary surrounding sumo wrestling with pronunciation guides. The illustrations were wonderfully done.
Sandy
He was just a hungry kitty looking for food when he met up with the sumo wrestlers. He'd sneak in and eat their leftovers after they finished their meals each day. Kitty was soon offered a job at the heya (training center) and he doesn't have to sneak around the heya any longer.

Kitty was good at his new job, actually he was very good and it began to have a negative effect on Kitty's appearance. It got to the point where it started to affect Kitty's job but he just couldn't do anything about it.
Mark's wife Sue
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sumo
Sumo AND kitties?!! What could be better?!
Beverly
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-cats, pbf-sports
A pip of a picture book! Funny, with laugh out loud illustrations. For readers who love sumo wrestling and cats.
Margie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really cute children's book with great pictures. Enjoyable for everyone.
Samantha
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This story will teach you about the art and practice of sumo wrestling, as well as illustrate the saying "fall seven times, get up eight." The illustrations are adorable.
Cathy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was fine. I appreciated the effort to incorporate Japanese words and pronunciations, although the story itself was just okay in my opinion.
Linda
A homeless kitty finds his way into a sumo wrestling training camp, but it's soon found he's sneaking food, thus is thrown out again. The appearance of mice saves the day because one of the wrestlers, Kuma, is afraid of mice. If this Kitty can take care of THAT problem, he's home, and fed! Unfortunately, he doesn't follow the tough workouts that the wrestlers do, becomes a bit heavy, without energy. Learning the ways of the training makes a big difference and I had to cheer SumoKitty on to his s ...more
Lisa
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The sumo wrestlers (rikishi) live in their training center (heya) with a stray cat. The cat found his way in and steals food when he can, but when the housekeeper (Okamisan) catches the cat, she puts him to work. He can eat with the men, but he has to chase away the mice. But when the mice are gone, the kitty gets fat, so the mice return. Now, he must learn to focus and fight like a sumo to keep his job.

Magnificent full page illustrations paired with the comic facial expressions of the kitty an
Lydia
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A stray kitty admires the sumo wrestlers in a nearby heya, but what he really wants is to share their food! It turns out one of the wrestlers is afraid of mice and the heya has a mouse problem, so kitty is allowed to come in to chase the mice and gets to stay. He shares the sumo wrestlers food and sleeps and chases mice, but soon he puts on the pounds and is no longer able to chase the mice! The kitty is kicked out of the heya and must train to get back in, so he remembers the lessons from the s ...more
Amanda
The illustrations are everything in this book, as are the principles which are worked in as subtly as the yokozuna stomping his foot upon entering the dohyo. Did you get that? No? All righty then.

Throughout the story Biedrzycki writes in sumo terms with their definitions (examples: dohyo; yokozuna, rikishi; kesho-mawashi...these were from one page toward the beginning) which is awesome if you are a word nerd, but if you are a wriggly little one, may or may not be so good if you are trying to fol
Amy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a small, hungry kitty seeks a home at a sumo wrestler’s heya (training center), he is quickly put to work chasing off mice in exchange for a home. All too quickly, he becomes fat on noodle soup and complacency, while one of the wrestlers allows in the fear of defeat. With each of them helping the other learn humility, while overcoming their fears they will both rise to the challenge to succeed.
Taking wise and notable Japanese sayings and spinning them into action, Sumokitty is the beautifu
Becky B
Kitty was a scrawny stray until he wandered into the sumo wrestler's heya. He secured himself a job as the mice chaser and gorged himself on the sumo wrestlers' leftovers. But when too much indulgence slows him down, will he lose his job or whip himself into champion mouser shape? And could he actually inspire one of the sumo wrestlers on to greatness?

I knew pretty much zilch about sumo wrestling or sumo wrestlers before reading this book. There's actually quite a bit about the lives of sumo wre
Krissy Neddo
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cannot wait to read this to all of my elementary students! So much fun! So far kids loved it.
Took some practice with Japanese words, but I listened to the audio on Audible to help. The author's inclusion of pronunciation is great! I made a Google Slideshow to accompany my read aloud. Kids loved learning the Japanese words!
Some people are confused or upset that it has too much "Japanese" or "wrestling" or that they are not sure if the cat is a stray or not. Seriously? The cover or title didn't g
Barbara
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Art was fun. But the book itself is confusing. The author didn't edit his story very well. We are lead to think that we are following a stray and then that he tells us how he used to be in the dojo and then got too fat to catch mice but there is never any transistion to tell us that he is either still a stray cat trying to get back with the sumo wrestlers or if he is sumo kitty. There is no transistion from a past rememberance story telling to the present.

I hope as the story ends with sumo kitty
Yaritza
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A stray cat gets lucky, since one of the Sumo wrestlers is scared of mices. This was his big chance to keep warm, eat and have fun. His eating habits made him get a little big and now he resembled a Sumo wrestler. He started to train like the Sumo wrestlers and was able to defeat the mice infestation. He got the name Sumokitty, plus they gave him a mawashi with kitty print. I loved that the book provided you with vocabulary for the different moves, outfits and training location. Author also prov ...more
A humorous and reflective look at never giving up. This story is filled with a beautiful ancient yet modern style of Japanese illustrations, and wise sayings to reflect on. The story is about a cat living with Sumo wrestlers because his job is to catch all the mice, but when he gets too lazy and fat to do his job he gets kicked out. One sumo wrestler passes some wisdom along to Sumokitty, and he is inspired to train his way back! Unwittingly he also inspires the sumo wrestler to overcome his own ...more
Sirah
Nov 18, 2020 added it
Being a cat is a little like being a sumo wrestler. Sumo Kitty discovers that it's important to have discipline, keep working hard, accept his mistakes, and always keep trying. Sumo Kitty starts out as a hungry stray, but finds work at a dohyo catching mice so the sumo wrestlers can concentrate on their sport. When he gets lazy, the mice come back to taunt him, and Sumo Kitty loses his job. His courage and determination inspire the sumo wrestlers to go on to do great things. I loved the interest ...more
Gwen
This was the perfect combination. I loved the story itself of the adorable kitty learning about perseverance but also loved all the little facts about Sumo Wrestling that I never even would have probably cared to learn but since it was presented in such a cute story with just the right amount of facts (too many would have probably made me stop reading early on) I was loving it.

Also loved those first 3 pages with different sayings and the explanations of what they mean. Some days you just need to
Kalyn
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great way to show young readers how to confront challenges and find your motivation to succeed. Through the adventures of a cat living in a heya in order to keep the mice away, Biedrzycki weaves in Japanese cultural terms with an adorable and relatable character who just wants to eat. I'll definitely be using this one with the kids I work with since it's such a well crafted blend of teaching and story that I'm sure they'll love.
Kaitlyn Inman
SumoKitty by David Biedrzycki is about this stray cat that lives outside the house of sumo wrestlers. They let him in under one condition, he must kill all of the mice. He does until he gets fat from all of the food and the okamisan kicks him out. One of my favorite things about this book is how it has the Japanese words that they use in the text translated in the illustrations. The text and illustration go together very well. Overall, a high-quality picture book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Stone Sat Still
  • The Evil Princess vs. the Brave Knight
  • I Am a Tiger
  • Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Give Me Back My Bones!
  • This Book of Mine: A Picture Book
  • Jasper & Ollie
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Just Like Beverly: A Biography of Beverly Cleary
In his early years David created stories for his parents and friends. A commercial artist since 1980, his work has appeared in magazines, newspapers, book covers, billboards and even ice cream boxes. The supermarket is like a gallery of his work.

Now he has now returned to his first love of picture book storytelling. He has illustrated close to 30 books including self-authored and award winning Ace