Start by marking “West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils” as Want to Read:
West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils

West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils

(West Coast Avengers (2018) (Collected Editions) #2)

Marvel Boy is back, and the timing couldn't be worse for Kate Bishop. Her relationship with Fuse is looking shaky, and the last thing she wants is her very hot ex hanging around! Not to mention Kate's former Young Avengers teammate has brought a mountain of trouble to the West Coast! Can Kate clean up after Noh-Varr while keeping him far away from her love life? Read on, T ...more
Published July 9th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2

Start your review of West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils
Chad
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Thompson sort of ties up some of the loose ends from her previous Hawkeye series as we finally get some rushed answers about Kate's mom, although both of her parents' stories (and Madame Masque's) are unresolved. There's not a whole lot of cohesion between the story lines and that may be part of why I think this series was just OK. Outside of Quentin Quire and Gwenpool, I was largely uninterested in the team even though I liked most of these characters in previous series. I guess Marvel was just ...more
Lenny
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m heartbroken that this fantastic and lighthearted team book, assembled almost completely of favorite characters after their solo title cancellations, has also been cancelled. Even though this volume fell into the same pitfalls as Thompson’s Kate Bishop Hawkeye series (more on that in a moment), she still brought together a diverse team that deserved far more than just two volumes.

This ragtag team may have individuals from disparate books, but it still manages to feel like a cohesive group – d
Renata
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
(read as single issues)

ugh, mad this is cancelled! This series was so goofy and weird and smart about reality television tropes! I love those things!
Amanja
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I seem to have a knack for falling for Avengers runs that are way underappreciated. I first found Kate Bishop in Young Avengers. A book that really doesn't get the credit it deserves. I blame the name, sounds like it's for babies when they actually mean 18-22 year olds.

I adore Kate Bishop. I also loved her solo run, that also got ended too soon. Kate Bishop Hawkeye is where I really solidified by adoration of author Kelly Thompson. She has a real talent for dialogue and for making each characte
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another series cut criminally short, the West Coast Avengers' adventures end in this second volume as Kelly Thompson does her best to resolve all the plotlines she set into motion while also bringing some closure to outstanding character relationships by reintroducing Marvel Boy to Kate Bishop's life. Fuse and his sister get some much-needed focus, while Gwenpool and Quentin Quire become your favourite ship without even meaning to.

Meanwhile, Kate's mother and Madam Masque make their return in an
TJ
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This actually wrapped up fairly decent for being cut off so soon. I wish we could have gotten at least one more volume out of this title, but I'm hoping to see the team somewhere else soon. Oh, and I'm completely here for Noh and Johnny. Do ship! 5/5 stars.
Stewart Tame
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This title continues to be a pleasing blend of action, comedy, and young adult relationship drama. Kelly Thompson writes it just light enough to be entertaining, but not to the point where it's too goofy to be taken seriously.

Significant figures from Kate’s past show up, which should thrill readers of Thompson’s Hawkeye series. Me, I didn't even know that there was such a series until I saw the ad page inside the back cover of this volume. Might have to see about tracking those down …

Still diggi
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-marvel, comics
Sadly, the end of the new West Coast Avengers, as Marvel continues to prove unable to put out comics for longer than a year or two (or 10 months in this case).

The first story is typical for the WCA to date. They fight a whole Legion of foes, but the story is saved by great character pieces, with Gwen and Quire being particular stand-outs.

Fortunately, the second story, of the battle with the Cult of the Shifting Sun, is a step up. To start with, we get Marvel Boy back, making WCA into almost a Yo
Anas
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My babies deserve more than ten issues... This was seriously top notch entertainment and full of fun and heart. I'm gonna miss my supergroup of misfits. Thank you Kelly for not disappointning!
Nicole Westen
I have a mighty need for a Jeff plushie.
And if this series doesn't get picked back up again after War of the Realms I'm going to be severely disappointed.
Geoffrey Payne
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why did they have to go and cancel this book?? It found a near-perfect balance of quirkiness, humor, and serious and every issue was so fun to read. I really hope that we get to see Thompson get another shot with these characters somewhere down the road. She did so much great ground work and for a series that got cut sort, ended it really well. I wish Marvel would just give these types of books more of a chance! 4.5 out of 5.
Amanda
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so, so bummed that this isn't getting renewed. Ugh.
Baba
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Clint trying and failing to really mentor Kate, who leads the West Coast Avengers, which includes super powerful America, who's dating the sister of Fuse. Add Gwenpool, Quentin Quire, Noh Varr and a little land shark; then throw in a reality TV show and lots of talking head interviews.. not brilliant but nice and quirky and different... adn Marvel just gives it 10 issues before cancelling it! Imagine how many great books would have never existed if they were only given their first 10 issues to g ...more
Josh
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series continues to be the super fun misadventures of our misfit superhero team. Thompson delivers some engaging writing, and the art is consistently enjoyable. The story gains some added complexity here, but it all holds together quite well. Plus, we get Jeff the landshark which is worth celebrating entirely on its own.

The banter, the adventure--this is a title that embraces its own oddness and uses the quirk to its own advantage. It's a pity that it got cancelled, but the abrupt ending fi
Mike
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well that was just an absolute pleasure to read, twice in a year. All the silliness, friction-filled relationships (yes, that too) and smart-sounding misfits indeed.

Why can’t I get this Kelly Thompson forever? Why she gotta go and get good at her serious stories and take on the mountain that is Carol Danvers? Having just come from that book, back to here, I hope I don’t miss this layer of Thompson for long.
Alex
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gwenpool is still the best, and I love her awareness of the reboot. Additionally I enjoyed the adoption of a relationship to ensure that she remains crucial in her supporting role. Also, Jeff the Landshark forever!

Disappointing that they didn’t even get a proper conclusion, let alone any payoff of the prodigious number of hooks that were spread throughout.
Kristin Boldon
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, new, own, comic-book, re-read
I loved this silly, fun, funny series and am sad it had such a short run. I really like the character of Kate Bishop. Kelly Thompson writing Kate Bishop has been a fun run on this and the previous Hawkeye series.
Bethany
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this series deserves at lEAST 50 more issues, it's so chaotic, so fun, so wild, and every issue helped create a crazy enjoyable story
RIP in peace west coast, best coast
ellis
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
perfection. art in issue ten was a lil wonky? but whatever!
give me more Kate teammmmm.
Christy
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This ending literally had me SO SAD. Absolutely love this team. So much story to be told :(.
Mallory
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I am beyond pissed that this series got cancelled. Jeff the baby landshark is my new favorite thing. I have never been more entertained by a series. I would have read 100 more issues. I very much hope they decide to bring this back some day. It was a full delight.
Nadja
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
*read as single issues*
I really liked this series and I‘m disappointed that it ended so soon. I also feel like the ending was just a little bit rushed and it doesn’t really feel like the end because there are still a few unanswered questions. Still, I enjoyed this volume I love the whole cast of this book and it’s just a lot of fun, the humor is absolutely great.

Overall I would highly recommend this series even though it was cut short it’s still great.
Katie Florida
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read issue by issue.

I loved this. Every moment. Kelly Thompson just writes exactly to my sense of humor and I just want to read everything she writes. I think this run just got cancelled, which is horrible because she was going in such a great direction. But, do yourself a favor and read this anyway.
bei
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i want more :(((
Paxton Holley
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a cool comic. Funky. Quirky. Weird. I love it. Kelly Thompson has put together a really fun team book. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Alex Sarll
This feels even more like Young Avengers than the first volume, not least for the arrival of Kate's ex Noh-Varr, and consequent tipping point in how many of the team can fairly be placed under the heading 'disaster bi'. It's not perfect – most superteams have massively varied power levels, but here there's not quite enough sleight of hand being used to massage that, meaning that Quentin Quire spends a lot of the time either complaining about providing telekinetic bubbles for the puny humans, or ...more
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I have read WAY more books than I've actually reviewed, so this is a knee-jerk reaction. Too many books to read and review... so little time!* (Volume 1 and 2 reviewed here, since I read them back-to-back)

A really fun series. Honestly, that's the best way I can describe it: Solid comic book action + solid banter/interactions between the characters = A fun comic romp!

The reality show idea is corny, but in the best possible way. This series is perfect parts goofy to perfect parts real stakes (suc
mzmsary
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Although her plotting is nothing to brag about, Kelly Thompson is the queen of Bendis-like snappy dialog writing and she is on form here again. She is very well accustomed to writing Kate Bishop now and it shows. Her bantering with Clint always fun and I really liked Quentin and Gwen as a couple,but I can't say I cared about other players tbh. As a person who can't stand current serious superhero stories with all the alien fighting and bullshit, I love the goofy quality Kelly Thompson's stories ...more
Jesse
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good shit. The art was a bit more hit or miss, but nothing too bad. Clint and Kate had some great hawkeye moments together. Gwenpool and quentin were consistently awesome, and quentin actually had some character development, helped along by america. The conclusion(?) To the saga of Kate's mom was very underwhelming, hopefully Kelly Thompson gets a chance with these characters again soon. The ending was abrupt but worked with the humorous tone of the series.
Emmanuel Nevers
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just when Kelly Thompson's West Coast Avengers run was beginning to rev up it ends!! Still being treated with the quirky, fun-loving dialogue you would expect from the series it starts to finally come together and all the members of the team seem to find their footing. It was a fun ride while it lasted and I hope they get a new title in the future!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ironheart, Vol. 1: Those With Courage
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Volume 1: Secrets and Rumors
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: The Final Gauntlet
  • Uncanny X-Men: Wolverine and Cyclops, Vol. 2
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detested.

K

West Coast Avengers (2018) (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast