Start by marking “The Art of Spirited Away” as Want to Read:

The Art of Spirited Away

(Studio Ghibli: The Art of....)

The Art of Spirited Away collects colour illustrations of Spirited Away for the first time in an English edition! This book includes paintings and designs from the new animated film from the director of Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke. Large-size, hardcover coffee-table book featuring artwork from the renowned animated film, Spirited Away, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Features commentary, ...more
Published August 25th 2002 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Spirited Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Spirited Away

Start your review of The Art of Spirited Away
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, nonfiction
I love this movie so much, so reading this book was such a beautiful experience. UGH so good.
Jojo
I read "The art of My neighbour Totoro" recently, and this book is just as good, if not a little better. Spirited Away, is an incredible anime film, and it is definitely one of my favourites. The story manages to touch me so deeply, and no matter how many times I indulge in watching the film, I still become pretty emotional.
This book, is not just for those that love the actual art of the film, but for those who love the story being told. There is an interesting, short introduction, at the begin
Amy Lutchen
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was an eye opener.

My initial reaction to receiving the book: "Oh my God, I LOVE Studio Ghibli! Everything is awesome (Yes, as in Lego awesome)! It's all so cute."

Read book.

Ending reaction: "Dear Lord, who the hell knew so much work went into creating an animated film? The amount of rejected ideas and work, the storyboards, the number of COLORS used in his distinctive films... It's all so overwhelming."

I've always adored Miyazaki's work, b
Parka
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Spirited Away
(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

The copy I'm reviewing is a Chinese version. The English version from VIZ Media Publishing is essentially the similar in content. Some of the English versions end with movie scripts, some don't.

As usual, there are lots of beautiful sketches on character design and concept art for the environment. They are all painted in traditional media. The bath house on one full page on its own is just breathtaking. There are only a handful of movie stills. Captions below the sketches describe the sc
Andrew
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For this book I cannot sing its praises high enough. The animated films from Studio Ghibli are world renowned translated in to multiple languages and back from the likes of Walt Disney in their distribution and recognition.

The artwork and storyline blend together to form a timeless story which you cannot help be transported away with, from the world of Howls Moving Castle to the forests of Princess Mononoke to the magic of My Neighbour Totoro, Studio Ghibli have an uncanny ability to tell stori
Joey
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-5-stars
The Art of Spirited Away is jaw-droppingly stunning. I have been a huge Ghibli guy since I saw the original Fox English dub of My Neighbor Totoro in second grade. Miyazaki is probably my favorite artist of any medium.

This collection details the tedium and love put into one of the best animated features of all time. It goes into depth about how the animators integrated CG to improve layering and to improve upon the hand-drawn designs and models as well as realistic lighting.
Lee
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-physical, 2017
These two books (I read the Totoro one recently too) mark the begin for of a rather expensive collection that I just need to carry on with, because holy hell. STUNNING.
Ben
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is stunning. The quality of the printing and the weight of the pages make it feel like something special and well worth the money. The early production sketches and the comments from the Ghibli staff are greatly appreciated and provide a decent amount of insight into the creative process. Whilst the amount of film stills could be off putting to people who want to see things they haven't before, the images look so good on the glossy paper, particularly the full page ones, it's hard to i ...more
Diz
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, animation
For Ghibli fans, this is a beautiful book. There are many illustrations from the production of the film Spirited Away. I particularly like Miyazaki's hand-drawn watercolor illustrations of the locations and scenes from the movie. Miyazaki is really skilled at world-building and this comes through in his art.
Nadia Fong
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spirited away is my favourite movie/book that Hayao Miyazaki made!
Kayla
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies, so I treated myself to this art book and it did not disappoint! I loved seeing the concept designs/sketches and the art broken down in each scene. There’s also a section on how scenes were formed digitally, which was fascinating. This is a great addition to your library if you’re a fan of the film and want to see how the artistic elements developed into the final product. I’m definitely keeping an eye out for the art books focusing on other Studio Ghib ...more
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: film-tv, women-in-h-f
Beautiful hardback book. The pages are glossy and thick. I also didn't know it had the script for the film at the back! That was a nice surprise. It doesn't give too much detail of the making of, as the book it made up of clips from the film with a descriptuon underneath, but there are some storyboard drawings in there too. I wouldn't recommend if you're wanting more info for the making of. But I'd definitely recommend as a gift for any Ghibli fan and as beautiful well presented book.
Danielle
Apr 03, 2007 rated it liked it
I love anything Hayao Miyazaki. Anything and everything. He's a genius.
Molly
Impossible not to enjoy. Miyazak = The Best.
Sara
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I felt privileged to get a look into the behind the scenes creativity of this masterpiece. Beautiful, interesting, thought provoking.
Jaimie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spirited Away was such an integral film during my high school years (thanks Mr. Paravantes' Japanese class) that it's impossible not to get nostalgic over a book like this one. We get to explore the art behind the scenes, the digital processes, and the story development - straight from Studio Ghibli itself. What disappointed me a bit throughout the book, though, was that because the film was digitally produced we got a lot less of the concept artwork than I was expecting. Maybe there was just ph ...more
Valleri
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First, I'd like to begin with saying I love Spirited Away and pretty much anything Studio Ghibli puts out. Hayao Miyazaki is a mastermind and captivating storyteller/artist. This book illustrates that fact to a "T". The way the characters interact and the story unfolds is so intricate and serves to direct the path of our heroine perfectly so that Chihiro must look within herself to muster the courage and cleverness to gain her freedom.
thebookiv
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning illustrations, concept sketches, screenplay and character designs for the Academy Award winning Studio Ghibli film, Spirited Away. There is also a surprising amount of information about the incorporation of software and digital elements to the beautiful paintings done by the art department. Gorgeous and satisfying book that is especially thrilling for fans of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki-san's awe-inspiring creativity!
Dyslexic Bookmonster
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artbooks
How can I not love this book to bits? Spirited Away is my all time favorite film. Have watched it over three dozen times. So yeah, I am severely biased.

The art, the information; everything is good, if not fantastic. I can recommend the book to anyone that loved the film. Or wants to know more about Miyazaki's film productions.

Amazing book.
Jo Bennie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m
A beautiful generously sized full colour book filled with preliminary and character sketches and background paintings for the film, interspersed with interviews. There is a section on the technical side of the animation, and at the end the screenplay. A lovely book giving even more insight into such a stunning film.
Sarah Connor
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This film always makes me cry
the book is full of frames, if you are into illustration and animation, it's a great choice
It also recalls (and explain) some memorable scenes you might have missed in the film.
Lena West
3.5/5 stars

I honestly cannot describes how much I love the movie it was the only (so far) my fav anime story.

But this book wasn’t focusing about the story line itself but focusing on different things.

I would say I still enjoy learning more about this world.
Mae
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
"Spirited Away" is one of my favourite movie. This book is really interesting, the drawings are impressive and all the details about the way they made the whole movie is very good to know if you are interested about those processes.
Olivia Victorius
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing art book. The detailed, the hardwork of the creator, the imagination, everything poured in this book. Great for collector and people who appreciate details in studio ghibli’s animation
Clare
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful artwork from one of my favourite films. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
E *I tried being resonable I didnt like it*
This book was amazing. It included details of the movie. Storyboards and pictures.
Shiv
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this a 100 star rating I would 😍
Callie R.
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful breakdown of Miyazaki's gorgeous brain-child.
Subhash
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Received it as gift from my secret Santa. Always liked the Miyazaki's dream like movies.
Rachele
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I would've liked more concept art, especially any rejected character designs.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Art of The Secret World of Arrietty
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of Pixar
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • Okami Official Complete Works
  • Animation (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • The Art of Brave
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • The Art of Cars
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Studio Ghibli: The Art of.... (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki