Start by marking “Darkfall (The Rhenwars Saga Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Darkfall (The Rhenwars Saga Book 4)

Darkfall

(The Rhenwars Saga #4)

There Is No Mercy for the Merciless.

★★★★★ “Some of the deepest and most polarizing characters that I have read to date.” —Pierce Erickson, Goodreads Review

The invasion of the Rhen has begun! Darien Lauchlin is determined to find a refuge for the people of Malikar by any means necessary—even if it means conquering the nations he formerly swore to protect. Wielding th
Published November 28th 2018 by Stoneguard Publications

To ask other readers questions about Darkfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkfall

Start your review of Darkfall (The Rhenwars Saga Book 4)
C.T. Phipps
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, grimdark
5/5

DARKFALL is the grand finale of the Rhenwars Saga and it's nice to have a series which ends properly even if the ending is bittersweet. M.L. Spencer is one of the new voices in dark fantasy (which I use when talking non-pejoratively about grimdark fiction). She doesn't use violence or swearing to win her accolades but a persistent deconstruction of the traditional heroic narrative.

The premise of the series is that a ragtag band of heroes tried to save the world a 1000 years ago and failed mis
Rebekah Teller
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A fitting end to a thrilling series. Loyalties are tested and characters are pushed to the limits of their fortitude and resolve.

Time and again, Darien's fate has been fraught with hard choices. In this final installment of the Rhenwars Saga, everything is at stake—the fate of the world, the fate of the magic field, the fate of the Well of Tears, and the fate of Darien's soul. How much strife can a man endure before becoming vengeful and evil? At what point will Darien break?

Darien has been wil
The Scribblings
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The final battle for the Rhen has been a long time coming but now the invasion has begun. As Darien leads his new people into the lands he once defended, he has to face former friends and protect himself against the enemies that are supposed to be on his side.

Endings can be tricky things. Not only do you have to try to tie up all the plot threads and pay off what has gone before, but you also want to satisfy the readers that have stuck with you. I'm happy to say that Darkfall succeeds on all co
Bonnie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-tbr
I wonderful finish to a epic tale of the dark within the world and the portrayal we allow it to infuse in our lives. My favorite excerpt:

“There must be some middle ground. I just don’t know where it is or what it would look like.”
“I think I know,” Naia said. “And it has nothing to do with oaths, and everything to do with what’s inside. Our decisions define us. Not our chains.”
S. D. Howarth
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Slater Fortenberry
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and satisfying ending to what quickly became one of my favorite series. I just wish I hadn't read it so fast!! ...more
Lana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Darien has been mercilessly travelling through town after town, killing and destroying everyone he found in the lands of the Rhen however his people were starving now as every town they were arriving in had now been ransacked and lay empty of people, animals and food. This situation was making Darien both angry and desperate and desperate people end up doing desperate things! Darien kept feeling responsible for everyone and he was riddled with guilt and shame, feeling he had yet again failed his ...more
Michele
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book wraps everything up perfect. ML does a bit of trickery at the end so just as I was crying the smole came out. She may write get dark epic books but I think she is a softy at heart. I hope she carries on the saga with Rhen to see his journey. I don't know if ML dreams these plots and turns or that is pure imagination but we are lucky for it. ...more
Sarah Hays
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful conclusion to the series!

I loved how the story followed the characters and their different paths. They each played a big role in the story. It is full of action! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Graham dring
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read

All together these books are amazing, the twists and plots and the way your own feelings for these characters always changing, again an amazing read would recommend it to anyone.
Nick Brummett
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great ending to a great story. I look forward to whatever the author writes next.
James  Runnels
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rinaldo
Nov 27, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Welp, this is disappointing. After 3 books of mostly great build up and interesting explorations on moral, this book is a letdown. It is not a bad book per se, but it plays almost all stereotypical epic fantasy tropes straight.

The previous three books are quick paced and somewhat lean in size, and these result in cracks which take their tolls on this book. From drab and milquetoast worldbuilding, convoluted plot, unnecessary new characters, under-fleshed recurring cast, women in fridge, ov
Jonathan Pembroke
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
I'm of two minds about the capstone book to the Rhenwars Saga.

On one hand, I felt that it slipped back to some of the uneven pacing of the first book. While the climax generally made sense, I thought the set-up for one key feature was inadequate; though lightly foreshadowed, it smacked of deus ex machina. And one character had a personality/power shift than didn't quite seem consistent with the previous books.

On the other hand, the battle scenes were gripping and exciting, and a stark illustrati
Rose
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The end is here. Darien Lauchlin paid a high price for saving the people of Caladorn. His brutal and vicious acts showed the demon he had become. I didn’t like it one bit! But a protagonist can be an antagonist as well, so I get it. Quinlan Reis became my champion in this installment. I looked forward to his and Naia’s every little adventures. I was hoping for a better outcome of Kyle Archer, it’s a wonder Gil Archer disliked Rylan Marshall. Now it’s time to move forward with book 2 of the Chaos ...more
Scott Pare
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I felt this dragged a bit.

Honestly, the 4 books in this series could be 1 Robert Jordan type length standalone book, and trim the filler stuff.

The ending was very predictable, with the exception of the way the very last fight scene went, that was actually pretty cool.
Spacechik
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Boring

Predictable. Boring. Kept reading hoping the onslaught of adjectives would stop. And why would all those women fall for a despicable human being? Hours I spent reading this drivel could have been better spent. The only redeeming point is that I read for free.
Sandra
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Master Spencer's great work!

The entire series is full of magic, war, greed, love, hate, chains bound and unbound and so very much more. This is not a tween romance this is so much more! Read the series! I dragon dare you!
Terry Morris
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this 4 book series.
Cried at the end, really get into every person she writes about. The best dark fantasy writer. I have read all her books.
Norox
Dec 24, 2018
Jabber
May 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Lost War (Eidyn #1)
  • Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1)
  • As Iron Falls (The Wings of War, #4)
  • The Silver Sorceress (The Raveling, #2)
  • The Warring Son (The Wings of War, #2)
  • Winter's King (The Wings of War, #3)
  • Kings of Heaven (Ash and Sand, #3)
  • Blood on the Crown (Struggle For A Crown #1)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)
  • Of Sand and Snow (The Wings of War, #5)
  • The Combat Codes (The Combat Codes Saga #1)
  • Cephrael's Hand (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, #1)
  • Decimus Fate and the Talisman of Dreams
  • Child of the Daystar (The Wings of War, #1)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • Shadow of a Dead God (Mennik Thorn, #1)
  • The Dagger of Adendigaeth (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, #2)
  • Pawn's Gambit (A Mortal Techniques novel)
M.L. Spencer is an epic fantasy author. Her debut novel Darkmage won the 2012 IndieReader Discovery Award for Fantasy, and her novel Chains of Blood was awarded Silver in the 2020 Readers' Favorite Awards for Fantasy.

The Rhenwars Saga (5 books)
  • Darkstorm (The Rhenwars Saga, #0.5)
  • Darkmage (The Rhenwars Saga, #1)
  • Darklands (The Rhenwars Saga Book 2)
  • Darkrise (The Rhenwars Saga Book 3)