Start by marking “The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator” as Want to Read:
The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator

The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator

A pioneering and groundbreaking work of narrative nonfiction that offers a dramatic new perspective on the history of humankind, showing how through millennia, the mosquito has been the single most powerful force in determining humanity's fate

Why was gin and tonic the cocktail of choice for British colonists in India and Africa? What does Starbucks have to thank for its gl
Published August 6th 2019 by Allen Lane

To ask other readers questions about The Mosquito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mosquito

Jennifer M.
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mosquito is a compilation of sorts. It not only tells the history of mosquitoes and the damage they have done throughout the centuries, but also how we got to where society and culture is, based on this annoying little bug. The book includes pictures of different types of mosquitoes, what sort of attributes to look for, etc.

I found this book fascinating. There were so many things I didn't realize that history was shaped by, one of which being a blood-sucking bug. The Mosquito is informative,
Justin
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received the arc from Netgalley for free in exchange for a review.

You can find my full review here:
Christopher Kennedy
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Timothy Winegard offers a unique and incredibly articulate perspective on the history of humankind pertaining to the mosquito. He charts the impact that the mosquito has had on the outcomes of major events, including the fall of ancient empires and the American Civil War, successfully arguing that the mosquito has changed the course of history. Winegards breadth of knowledge is something to be admired.
Jill Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating book this was!! I kept reading/reciting the facts aloud to whomever was in the room or nearby when I read - there are so many intriguing and surprising things to learn here, that I felt compelled to share them. It took me a while to read - it's long and there's a LOT of information here, but it is packaged very well, although I did occasionally find that I needed to take a short break for something a little less death-and-disease focused (it is, after all, summer and I couldn' ...more
Steve
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting but meanders

I enjoyed this book. As Timothy Winegard mentions, this is more of a history book than a science book, however what little science there is, is clearly explained. Winegard shows a good sense of humor in his writing, but otherwise I found his writing slighted stilted and lacking the conversational tone I like in science writing. I also found that the book took long irrelevant detours through history, so there were pages I just glossed over. For the reader looking for more
Nancy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Outsize Role of the Mosquito in the Sweep of Human History

For a tiny insect the mosquito has had a major role in shaping human history. Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, Malaria, West Nile Virus, and other diseases are caused by agents injected into the human host by one or another of the species of mosquitoes in the environment. The early chapters of the book give a graphic description of the diseases and suffering. It makes you want to wear protective gear when going outside in the summer.

For c
Donna Huber
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you ever wanted an overview of human history from the beginning to present day, then this is the book to pick up. It isn't science history and there are large chunks where the mosquito and its deadly diseases aren't even mentioned. A lot of focus on battles and wars. It was an interesting and educational read. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads.
Justin
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I was granted an ARC of this via Netgalley from the publisher.***

From the mosquitos possible impact on the extinction of the dinosaurs, to the famous battlefields of history and the scientific advancements made to stop their spread of disease, readers will be given an engaging account of the mosquitos silent war against humanity.

You can find my full review in the links provided.

Rating: 4 stars. Would recommend to a friend.
Cindy Lauren
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. I love science and history, so the only thing that would have made me not like the book was how it was written. This author is delightful. His tone, attitude and moments of snark make this a totally fun read.

It is chock a block full of facts, biology, history, public health, medical history, insect history and more, The author packages facts with explanation, his choice of vocabulary is excellent. I love his attitude as well, a combination of intelligence, awe and humor.

It is so
Whitney
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely splendid. I received it yesterday(!) and couldn't put it down. That hasn't happened to me in AGES. Winegard has made an informative, readable study of the mosquito that also provides a compelling new lens into various stages of history. I was initially drawn to this book because I am researching yellow fever in early America, but I think this is one a book that pretty much anybody with an interest in health and history would enjoy. One thing that did bother me ever-so-sl ...more
Jill Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
MuskogeePastor Umc
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book with information all of us need to know and beware of. Great writer with facts that are convincing and disturbing. A must read.
Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins
If you like your non-fiction niche, but comprehensive, I’ve got the book for you! The Mosquito, by Timothy C. Winegard, offers a new perspective on the whole of human history, told through those buzzy critters that ruin every sunset barbecue. Text Publishing was kind enough to send me a copy for review, and I wish they’d sent a reminder to warn everyone in my life that they were about to get hit with a barrage of mosquito-related fun facts.

Only female mosquitos bite. Of the 108 billion people wh
Amber Spencer
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. I was really into parts and was bored and wondering where things were going at other parts. Debating between 3-4 stars.
Jason Park
A terrific subject and stirring information are tethered to a book that unfortunately loses credibility as you dig deeper. My full review: https://medium.com/park-recommendatio...
Becks
Aug 12, 2019
Tasha Pum
Jul 25, 2019
Erik Mar
rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2019