Start by marking “Trial of Stone (Heirs of Destiny #1)” as Want to Read:
Trial of Stone (Heirs of Destiny #1)

Trial of Stone

(Heirs of Destiny #1)

A kingdom of death. A war for power and profit. Young heroes caught in the crossfire.

Kodyn expected hardships along his journey to return a kidnapped girl to her father. Yet harsh deserts and cutthroat bandits prove far less lethal than the foes that await him in Shalandra, the City of the Dead.
In the shadows of golden spires carved from mountain stone, currents of
Published January 22nd 2019 (first published January 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Trial of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial of Stone

Start your review of Trial of Stone (Heirs of Destiny #1)
Carolyn
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 young heroes, one with magical abilities, one warrior in training, one is a thief, one hears voices of the dead,one has a mission of his own...and they must protect the one who must not be taken. Exciting, thrilling, intriguing! The characters are unforgettable! This is a very good book!
Frank Geimer
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great beginning to a new series. The world building is awesome and you can bond with the characters. You will escape into another world for st least a little while, making your day, or night, better. I am moving immediately to book two, can't stop now!
Michael
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trial Of Stone , The debut in a new 5 book series by the ever prolific Andy Peloquin is the perfect novel for fans of multi POV epic fantasy in the vein of Sanderson, and John Gwynne. It tells the stories of Issa, Evren, Kodyn, and Aisha, who each have very different missions, but as the story progresses , become more and more intertwined as the thief, the assassin and the aspiring Keeper’s Blade’s quests bring them together in a dangerous web of intrigue and deception.

While set in the same
Suzannah
This book actually reminded me a lot of Sabaa Tahir's EMBER IN THE ASHES, except that I liked it a lot better. Sure, compared to that book it's lighter on romance, ethical quandaries and lyrical prose. Meanwhile, the similarities are distinct but not copycat: we have an oppressive empire based on real history (Egypt instead of Rome), a young hero trying to survive a brutal induction into the autocrat's elite guard corps, other protagonists from the underbelly of a rigid caste system trying hard ...more
Pat
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Five young warriors, each with a mission. The setting is Shelandria, City of the Dead and hometown for one of the young warriors. The other four arrive in Shelandria in pairs to complete their separate missions. The tale is told from pov of mainly Issa, Kodyn, Aisha and Evran and these are in a concurrent time frame which I found a little confusing at times until I had the story line more firmly in my mind. Plenty of action, great world-building and some very interesting characters. This is an ...more
Stephen
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pick this up and read it, you will not regret it. Good characters and story that you'll enjoy. Good Reading Everyone!
Bertha Alicia
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted to know more about the young people in the Queen of Thieves and Hero of Darkness series (Evren, Kodyn, Hailen, Aisha...) and this new series is about them. Excellent!
Patricia
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What do you do when you are the son of the best thief in the night guild and want to come out from under her shadow. You along with your best friend decide to help a young woman get back to her father . Koydn along with his best friend Aisha help bring Briana home to Shalandra, the city of the Dead . Where things aren't what they seem . Corruption runs the city and there is a class divide where the wealthy are cruel and the lower caste are living in squalor . They are thrown into the middle of ...more
Christina Morley
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a page-turner sword and sorcery adventure. The story is rich with descriptions and the fight scenes are superb. I did skim over some of the descriptions, but never the fight scenes! Every chapter moves from one character to the next and most of the chapters end on cliffhangers. It will keep you on the edge of your seat! Make sure you have a weekend to read this book, because you won't want to put it down. I didn't want it to end! At least the first two chapters of Book 2 are included as ...more
Christina Morley
Ryan Mueller
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, five-star
This was a highly enjoyable read. If I had to compare Peloquin's style of storytelling to anyone, I would say it's Brent Weeks. Not only is the style similar. Peloquin is also at a similar level in the quality of storytelling, and that's high praise because Weeks is one of my favorite authors.

This book follows four main characters, and they all felt fully developed even though it has become apparent to me that there have been previous books about these characters. That's not a problem, though.
Angel Haze
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brace yourself for this heart-pounding, emotionally-charged whirlwind of action! My chest was tight as I read this, to the point it was almost painful because I was so absorbed into this epic masterpiece! Andy Peloquin has taken things to a whole other level. Everything from the magnificent world building, the badass characters with amazing back stories . . . it just sucked me right in to a world of awesomeness. Every chapter ended with such a tease, I couldn’t put it down!

The moment I read the
Steve Thomas
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Painting on Paper

Andy Peloquin kicks off the Heirs of Destiny story ark with a gripping tale of five heroes as they all strive to meet their goals and objectives in a world which is vividly imprinted on to the reader's mind.

Peloquin describes the world of Voramis as a beautiful and almost mystical land with more dark secrets than shadows in the night. The heroes, all with different goals and objectives, strive to succeed in their chosen paths.

As part of an interconnected world, you will have
NanaShauna Joesten
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow a fantastic read. A fast action read. That catches you right from the first page, and has you on the edge of your seat. This read never has a dull moment. Kodynexpected hardships along his journey to return a kidnapped girl to her father.They run into alot of diversity. And lots of twists and turns. The Author does a fantastic job with the characters. And the scenery. I was given this book. I Love these reads. You feel like you are living Vicariously through the characters through the book. ...more
alicia
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heirs

I love that the story carries on in the form of a new generation. If you haven't read the first two series you really do need to. The enjoyment I have gotten from this fantasy tale in its different varieties has been immense. The characters the storylines the lifestyle and the characters personal tales of woe I've loved. Andy Peloquin is a fantastic writer that creates believable world's full of thrill, suspense and life.
Joel Green
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading like a youthful mélange of Gemmell and Gormenghast, Peloquin's tale follows a group of desperate, devious and deadly young heroes as they embark on a perilous adventure. The city of Shalandra looms over them, an all-encompassing architectural allegory, while sharp steel flashes in the shadows. This fantasy story is all whispered secrets and furtive rendezvous within a skillfully-realized realm.
Crystal
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It follows the story of 3 different groups at first. There is Issa and the trials she is going through to become a warrior. There is Evren, a thief sent on a secret mission, and his stowaway companion Hailen. Then we also have Kodyn and is friend Aisha who can hear the dead. I think all the main characters are great, but my favorite is Issa. I can't wait to find out where the rest of their story leads.
Shaun Carpenter
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes us to a new place in Einan with a motley crew of teens, who must save the world. Most of the characters are friendly faces and we meet a few new ones. Hailen is my favorite character of this series, but Issa quickly becomes a heart warmer. This series changes the entire landscape of Einan and the future for the Hunter and Aisha.
Elizabeth
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Loved it! This story is set in the world of the Queen of Thieves and Hero of Darkness series. It follows several young characters we met in those series plus a young girl trying to become a Keeper’s Blade. Great action and intrigue as the stage is set for, by all appearances, another excellent series.
Jennifer Willison
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book follows a few main characters, but the way it is written makes it very easy to keep them all separate and yet still see how they all work together also. It may not be real, but it has the theme of hope all the way through in good times and bad times. It also shows what you can do just by believing in yourself.
Elizabeth
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Silver Surfer
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a new series, following on from the Assassin series. Is it as good I wondered. Yes, it is no doubt about it. Not only as good but I think it could turn out to be better, and that’s saying something because I loved the Hunter series. If you liked the Hunter you’ll love this. Very highly recommended.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
A wonderful read. I found it a little slow starting but once the characters clicked in, it was away on the true, trademark Peloquin roller coaster of excitement, blood, fear, triumph and laughter. Great stuff!
Lisa Greiner Maughan
Loved this story. Great to see the younger characters growing up and making choices on their own, yet keeping in mind what their mentors would do. New city, new challenges, great writing.
Melissa Davenport
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was just not for me.
Mark Hindess
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Glad I don't have to wait long for the next one.
Volpot
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars. DNF at 25%. I found the story and characters flat. While I am usually tolerant of books with several POVs, for some reason I just found those in this book making me significantly less connected to the characterts and story.
David M Daley
Feb 03, 2019
Kyle Stewart
Aug 02, 2019
Michael Gruber
Dec 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Fire Within (Elemental Academy #1)
  • The Water Ruptures (Elemental Academy #3)
  • The Earth Awakens (Elemental Academy #2)
  • A Sellsword's Wrath (The Seven Virtues #2)
  • Kingdom of Bones (The Echoes Saga, #5)
  • The Darkest Revenge (The Elder Stones Saga #1)
  • A Sellsword's Will (The Seven Virtues #5)
  • The Fall of Neverdark (The Echoes Saga, #4)
  • A Sellsword's Resolve (The Seven Virtues #3)
  • The Wind Rages (Elemental Academy #4)
  • A Sellsword's Valor (The Seven Virtues #4)
  • Age of the King (The Echoes Saga, #6)
  • Dragon Sight (The Dragonwalker #7)
  • A Sellsword's Mercy (The Seven Virtues #6)
  • Shadows Within the Flame (The Elder Stones Saga #2)
  • The Spirit Binds (Elemental Academy, #5)
  • A Sellsword's Compassion (The Seven Virtues #1)
  • The Son of the Morning (The Nightfall Wars #1)
I am, first and foremost, a storyteller and an artist--words are my palette. Fantasy is my genre of choice, and I love to explore the darker side of human nature through the filter of fantasy heroes, villains, and everything in between. I'm also a freelance writer, a book lover, and a guy who just loves to meet new people and spend hours talking about my fascination for the worlds I encounter in ...more

Heirs of Destiny (5 books)
  • Crucible of Fortune (Heirs of Destiny #2)
  • Storm of Chaos (Heirs of Destiny #3)
  • Secrets of Blood (Heirs of Destiny #4)
  • Ascension of Death (Heirs of Destiny #5)