Start by marking “Keep You Close” as Want to Read:
Keep You Close

Keep You Close

A strange sensation runs through me, a feeling that I don't know this person in front of me, even though he matters more to me than anyone ever has, than anyone ever will.

You go into your son's bedroom. It's the usual mess. You tidy up some dirty plates, pick up some clothes, open the wardrobe to put them away.
And that's when you find it. Something so shocking it doesn't s
Published June 27th 2019 by Bantam Press (first published May 28th 2019)

Start your review of Keep You Close
Kaceey
3.5*
Stephanie is a special agent with the FBI and the single mother of a seventeen year old son. A son who SHE is having trouble recognizing lately. Less communicative, more sullen. Is it just typical teenage behavior? Or is he hiding something.
Well that question is quickly answered when she finds a gun hidden in the back of his closet! Why would her teenage son have a gun? What is he involved in?

Stephanie is going to do whatever it takes to protect her son. Even if it costs her her career...or
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars* (rounded down)

A Fast Moving Mystery / Suspense!

FBI Agent Steph Maddox hears a knock at the door. Another agent appears. He accuses her son Zachary of being a part a domestic terrorist group. Her first reaction is that he is being framed. Of course, everyone always say that, she would know - after all, she works in Internal Affairs.

Forget the fact that moments earlier, Steph found a loaded gun hidden in Zachary’s closet in a nondescript paper bag. Even though they pass like ships in t
Holly  B
3.5 Stars

Karen Cleveland's 2018 debut, Need To Know was one of my top reads last year and I was eager to read her second book.

The fast pace/action and suspense are back, but I felt the story lacked the character development and intrigue and overall "cleverness" that was created in her debut.

FBI Agent Stephanie Maddox is at the heart of the story as she tries to unravel a domestic anarchist groups involvement in a web of lies that could hurt her son, Zachary. She struggles to search for the trut
Carrie
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Keep You Close by Karen Cleveland is a thriller that tackles the question of just how far one would go for someone they love.  Stephanie Maddox is an special agent with FBI and has spent years and years working to get where she is in her career but would she throw it all away for the love of her life, her son Zachary?

Stephanie is a single mother and has done her best keeping her relationship with her son a priority despite her high pressure job. Even though Zachary has hit his sullen and angsty
Liz
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Karen Cleveland likes to tackle ethical dilemmas and how much you really know about the ones you love. Stephanie Maddox is the FBI agent in charge of Internal Investigations, so needless to say she has a strong sense of right and wrong. Which makes it even worse when she discovers a loaded gun in her teenage son’s room. I mean, anyone who’s raised teenagers knows they grow distant and moody, they stop communicating. But a gun? That’s way outside the norm.

We’re quickly given glimpses of Stephani
Selena
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of Keep You Close by Karen Cleveland from NetGalley for my honest review.

FBI agent, Stephanie Maddox, is a single mother of Zachary, her teenage son. One day, while cleaning her son's room, she finds a loaded gun. Another agent show up and Zachary is soon being accused of being associated with a terrorist group. A terrorist group that is planning mass attacks.

Does Stephanie really know her son? Is she being blinded by being his mother? She now has to decide whether she
Liz
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

We’re quickly given glimpses of Stephani
Kat
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2
I LOVED Karen Cleveland’s debut about Russian sleeper cells in the US, and I was so excited to read “Keep You Close.” It was a terrific, fast-paced read set in the same world as “Need to Know” where FBI agent Stephanie discovers her teenage son Zachary may be involved in domestic terrorism. But where this novel truly gets juicy, just like in “Need to Know” is where the FBI agent instincts crash up against the mother’s need to deny her child could be part of an anarchist group. But who is telling ...more
Jessica Sullivan
In this propulsive thriller, FBI agent Steph Maddox must untangle a web of deceit when her 17-year-old son is accused of plotting to murder government officials.

Steph's determination to protect her son at all costs takes her deep into a conspiracy much more nefarious than she ever could have imagined, making her ultimately choose between her duty to her country or her duty to her son.

It's a fine premise, but it doesn't break any new ground and the writing leaves a lot to be desired. Thrillers ar
Lou
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having adored Karen Cleveland's unique mix of spy and domestic thriller in her gripping debut, Need To Know, I wondered whether her sophomore novel would be able to live up to my expectations. She's done it again — this is a compulsive page-turner with relentless pace and relatable characters. Steph is a single mother to young Zachary but lately, she has been working late and they have grown apart. So when Steph discovers a gun in his bedroom she is startled and immediately jumps to conclusions ...more
Lori Lamothe
Keep You Close is ex-CIA analyst Karen Cleveland's second thriller and I seem to be one of the few reviewers who hasn't read her debut novel, Need to Know. While there are many good things about Keep You Close, the book ultimately didn't quite work for me. That said, I'd still like to see more of Cleveland's writing in the future.

Stephanie Maddox is a single mother who works in the FBI's internal affairs office, in part because she chose to protect her son rather than advance her career at the
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Ballantine Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

This book was sent to me by the publisher! If you would like to know how to get ARCs and review copies, feel free to watch my video, Advanced Reader Copies 101!

------------

i wish i could show you guys this. my copy is a manuscript but it is literally a google doc that was glued together which is cool

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Kristy K
2.5 Stars

This book had a lot of potential but a few things kept me from loving it. FBI agent Steph’s son seems to be at the center of a domestic terrorist threat, but she believes he is being set up. I was kept guessing as to who was behind it, which I liked. I didn’t like Steph as a mother. She constantly left Zach alone and unprotected. I also felt that too much was going on and too many subplots were being explored. Also, what is it with characters having inner psychologists (or goddesses) sp
Mandy White
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Keep You Close by Karen Cleveland is a fantastic read. I found you want a fast paced story with plenty of twists then you need to read this book. It has it all.... Russians, hate groups, terrorism, teenage issues... and an ending that you won't see coming .

Steph Maddox works for the FBI. She loves her job and her son Zach. But hasn't her job taken her attention away from being a good mother? When cleaning her sons room one day she makes a discovery that makes her doubt everything. A gun hi
Mark
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You know I almost let this one slip past, I saw the cover and title and thought it was a psychological thriller, which usually I love but fancied a change, but then decided to read it and soooo glad I did
For a start it is a hi octane paced thriller and secondly it is really well
written

FBI Agent Steph Maddox has her suspicions that her son is involved in something he shouldn’t be but when she finds out how serious it is and the implications to not just them but the whole Country she knows she ha
Dannii Elle
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was read as part of the #KYCreadalong on IG, making this an even more immersive and atmospheric read as I got to experience the twists and turns of the book, in real-time, along with a whole group of lovely bookstagrammers.

He is your son. You raised him to be helpful, kind, and considerate. He has grown from mummy's boy to becoming an upstanding member of society all on his own. He is an academic overachiever and a computer whizz-kid. He sleeps down the hallway from you but what do you real
Jan
3 1/2 stars

Definitely not the intense page turner as her debut political thriller Need to Know, but still an interesting read.
The ending—not sure if this is a lead in to a sequel or if the reader is to assume their own ending for the main protagonist. I’m leaning toward the first option but if not, that will cause me to bump this down in ratings.

ARC provided by NetGalley
Kaitlin
* I was sent this for review by the publisher *

I am glad that this book came to me, even though I do not often read thrillers, I do enjoy them, and this one was certainly fun. I read it in a few hours and enjoyed my time with the characters and the world. There was a lot to like about the characters, and I think I was surprised at how they felt very real even though the book was short. I think the topics discussed within the book were very interesting, relationships with kids, work/life balance
Selena
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

How far will you go as a parent to protect your child?

Stephanie Maddox, head of the FBI’s Internal Investigations division, works all the time. Her work, however, is starting to effect the relationship she has with her teenage son, Zachary. One day, She finds a gun that is hidden in his closet. Then a fellow FBI agent tells her that he might be part of a domestic terrorism cell.

I enjoyed this book
Bridgett
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
A fast-paced, action packed, suspense story.

Keep You Close is my first Karen Cleveland novel. I was impressed by the breakneck speed with which this story unfolded. It grips you from page number 1 and doesn't let go until the end. I read the entire book yesterday, and it definitely kept my interest. The political fodder is scary to contemplate.

Having said all that, the novel felt somewhat empty. There was next to no character development, and the writing was so abrupt and unexpressive, I fe
Liz Barnsley
I'm a little saddened by my reaction to this book- Need To Know was one of my top thrillers last year - but Keep You Close didn't really hit the mark for me at all.

The premise is intriguing. It has a domestic noir hint - how well do you know your children- with a spy thriller twist- main protagonist is not your usual parent...

However my honest reaction was one of ennui. The characterful observations of Need to Know are lacking here, giving it a flat feel and it feels a lot more like a paint by n
Pamela Small
It is not a good sign if it takes me ten days to read a “thriller”. Needless to say, I am not thrilled with this second effort by Karen Cleveland . In comparison to her debut, NEED TO KNOW, this book is a polar opposite, as reflected in my ratings of the two novels.

KEEP YOU CLOSE has an intriguing story arc but it fell flat, in large part because the characters are flat. One dimensional characters and their stilted dialogue become dull. Incessant and redundant internal dialogue of the narrator n
Fred
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Steph Maddox (single mom-33), a Chief of FBI investigations, had found a incomprehensible Glock-26 pistol in her “honor role” son’s closet (Zach-17). When Steph was 17+, she worked for a political figure who rapes her.
Others told Steph to let it go, who would believe her, no one would believe her claiming “indecent assaults” over this man.
She is persistent for revenge, goes to law school & with goals to help victims.

She rises to a Chief FBI agent to bring justice to others. Scott Clark(FBI fr
Denise
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." (Oscar Wilde)

Stephanie Maddox heads the FBI's Internal Investigations division and is uniquely placed because of her inherent beliefs about right and wrong. She's all about love of country and the greater good. How to shake up a strong-willed person like that? Get to her son. Steph's a single mother to teenaged Zachary. Lately the two haven't gotten along so well and she is suddenly faced with some discoveries that make her realize that she doesn't kn
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
FBI agent Stephanie Maddox's world turns upside down when she finds a gun hidden in her son Zachary's closet. It gets even worse when a colleague of her tells her that her son is involved with a terrorist group. She can't believe it, but how well does she know her son? For most of his life she has been prioritizing her job most of the time, and now she is worried that she doesn't know the young man he has become. Could he really be a treat to the country? And what should she do if he is?

READ THE
Rukky

The Good:

*Plot. I was completely engrossed in the novel and didn’t want to put it down. The conspiracy plot was intriguing and a lot bigger than a simple terrorist plot. I couldn’t figure out who was or wasn’t guilty. There was a lot of action which also made this a fantastic thriller. Steph’s past helped enhance the story and added a lot of suspects.

*Steph. Stephanie Maddox is an FBI agent who is the head of the Internal Investigations unit. She doesn’t have many friends, and she is estranged f
Patricia
KEEP YOU CLOSE is filled with so many twists and turns through a fast paced novel. As Stephanie Maddox, an FBI agent, learns that her son has been implicated in domestic terrorism. As she works to save him, be prepared for an explosive ending for which you will never be prepared! Highly recommended
Scott
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I really enjoyed Karen Cleveland’s debut novel last year – NEED TO KNOW – a lot. In my review, I wrote about how it was a concept novel that worked well and recommended it highly. Guess my surprise when I stopped by my local Barnes & Noble last week and by accident, spotted Cleveland’s second novel –KEEP YOU CLOSE - in the new hardcover section. Oh, the gleam in my eye knowing that I was looking forward to another unbelievable, tension-filled, psychological, spy filled, masterpiece ...more
Stephanie
I love a good spy adventure/political thriller and after hearing such fabulous things about Karen Cleveland's first novel, Need to Know, I knew I had to read Keep You Close. It definitely delivers the high paced action, suspense, and espionage you expect when reading a book about FBI agents, anarchist groups, and Russian spies who are deeply embroiled in the highest levels of the US government!

Agent Stephanie Maddox has always put her career at the FBI first and she's now head of Internal Affair
Bonnie DeMoss
Keep You Close by Karen Cleveland is the story of Steph Maddox, an FBI agent who heads their Internal Investigations Division. Steph sniffs out crime in their own ranks and is honest about reporting it. Everything changes when she gets a visit from another agent and her own son Zachary is suddenly under suspicion for domestic terrorism. Steph's past comes back to haunt her as she fights for her son and for truth.

I really enjoyed 90% of this book. I was engaged and interested in the outcome. It w
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 12 Aug 18, 2019 12:40AM

• Apartment Six
  • If She Wakes
  • The Chain
  • No Bad Deed
Karen Cleveland spent eight years as a CIA analyst, the last six in counterterrorism. She has master’s degrees from Trinity College Dublin, where she studied as a Fulbright Scholar, and from Harvard University. She lives in northern Virginia with her husband and two young kids.

News & Interviews