Start by marking “Clear My Name” as Want to Read:
Clear My Name

Clear My Name

'Emotional, twisty and a joy to read. It deserves to be a huge bestseller.' Mark Edwards

'Loved it - twisty, turny and as brilliant as ever!' Jill Mansell

‘The UK’s answer to Liane Moriarty. Amazing.’ Claire McGowan

Innocent?

When Carrie was accused of brutally murdering her husband’s lover, she denied it. She denied it when they arrested her, when they put her in front of a j
Published August 8th 2019 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Clear My Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clear My Name

Meredith
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

Intriguing Game of Cat and Mouse

A psychological thriller about a woman accused of killing her husband’s mistress.

Clear My Name has a fascinating premise. Former parole officer, Tess, now runs a charity called Innocence UK that helps wrongly convicted criminals reverse their sentences and ultimately clear their names. She takes on the case of Carrie, who has served four years for killing her husband’s mistress. The evidence against Carrie is damning, but many holes leave Tess quest
Elyse Walters
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paula Daly has a distinctive style. I’ve read all her books. Each one has held my interest. I’m a huge fan!!!
Once again, Paula demonstrates that she is a storyteller of unique eye-opening gifts.
Fascinating on many levels...there are scenes in this novel that had me reflecting about the choices we make - and how they impact those around us.

Her characters are not extraordinary heroics ...rather they tend to be ordinary & deceptive...trying to conceal their true natures of their solitary mind
Mark
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Paula Daly writes in her own unique style and her way of writing ( in previous books ) can make the most mundane of things and the most ‘normal’ of human behaviour fascinating,she also adds almost random descriptive sentences into a paragraph that whilst have nothing to do with the story are a part of whats happening in the ‘environment’ we are in ( as readers ) and enhance the story and bring something very special to the skill of writing, this continues in this book
And what a book!
Tess works f
Erin
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Grove Atlantic for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Did you hear? For 2.5 hours today, the Earth stopped moving and it's all Paula Daly's fault. What promises to be an instant bestseller, Clear My Name focuses on Innocence UK employee, Tess Gilroy, and her team's efforts to prove that mother and grandmother, Carrie Kamera was wrongly convicted. As the narrative switches between Tess and Carrie, it's anyone's guess as to how the story will end.

I was com
Pauline
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Clear My Name by Paula Daly was a thriller that I did not want to put down.
Tess who works as an investigator for a charity called Innocence UK, helps people who claim that they have been wrongfully convicted of a crime.
She is investigating a case where a woman was convicted of killing her husbands mistress. Tess believes that the woman is innocent and is looking for evidence to prove her case.
There was plenty of twist and surprises to keep me reading.
Tess was an interesting character. I really
Shalini
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one heck of a ride, a brilliant book by author Paula Daly. Life is not fair, and miscarriage of justice occurs.

When Tess from InnocenceUK took up Carrie's case who was languishing in prison, three years into her fifteen, events from both their lives come to light. Carrie had been convicted for killing her husband's lover. The entire book was the unfolding of clues and witnesses previously in hiding.

Paula Daly is one of my favorite authors, and this book proved me right again. There wa
Nicki
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carrie has always denied that she brutally murdered her husband's lover Ella. She denied it when they arrested her,when they put her in front of a jury,and when they sent her to prison.

She is now three years into a fifteen year sentence and she is still insisting that she is innocent.

Then suddenly Carrie is given hope when her case is taken on by Innocence UK,a charity that takes on alleged miscarriages of justice.

Tess Gilroy is asked to take on Carrie's case but as Tess digs deeper,she begins t
Joanne Robertson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this standalone crime thriller from Paula Daly that’s set in the town of Morecambe. Now I’ve never been to Morecambe but I’m off to Morecambe and Vice next month and I recognised some of the places I plan to go to when there, including the Midland Hotel. So immediately I felt a sense of place that involved me in this storyline. And it looks like Tess has a personal connection to Morecambe too, but it may not be as obvious as you think! Now Tess isn’t the most likeable of women ...more
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

Clear My Name is a fantastic read, mixing excellent writing with an intriguing premise. I absolutely loved the plot - a woman called Carrie is in prison for murdering her ex-husband's lover, and the charity Innocence UK begin to investigate to see whether Carrie is actuall innocent, having served four years of her prison sentence already. I love books that look at older cases, or investigate potential miscarriages of justice, and this ticked all the boxes.

This
Richelle Robinson
This was my first time reading this author and it wasn’t a bad read but I didn’t love the book either. I found the characters to be bland and one dimensional except for Avril. I like Tess but she was hard to connect to as I read the story and if I can’t connect to the characters and/or story it doesn’t make for an enjoyable read for me. I liked that there was a point of view from the killer but I wanted more from the night in question. For a thriller this story was a little on the dull side. The ...more
Danielle
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read Clear My Name in a day, between toddler naps, my to do list and the school run. The writing is so engaging, it will draw you in to the razor sharp, taut and fantastically researched setting that is the life of Tess and the Innocence UK charity. Tess has worked as a case co-ordinator and examiner of cases that cross the Innocence UK desk for nine years, in all that time, she has never seen a female case picked up. That is about to change. Carrie has been imprisoned for murdering her husban ...more
Kat
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a brilliant book this is and a real unputdownable read. The writing is superb and the characters are all so well crafted and believable and I really hope this won’t be the last we see of the team especially Tess. The storyline was unpredictable and had a brilliant twist at the end and I really feel Paula Daly put her heart and soul into the writing and it showed because this was much more that just another mystery thriller.
It’s hard to say much about the plot as it would spoil the read so
Lucy Hay
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Compelling concept, kick-ass characterisation and a gut punch of a sting in the tale. Daly does it again!
Eva
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carrie has been found guilty of murdering her husband’s mistress and is currently three years into a fifteen year sentence. But Carrie has always maintained her innocence. Now her case has come to the attention of Innocence UK, a charity that devotes itself to putting right alleged miscarriages of justice. When Tess is asked to take on Carrie’s case, she realises she may need to face up to things she’s kept hidden for years.

Right from the start, I was hooked on the intriguing premises of Clear M
Sheri
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could tell immediately that this book was going to be right up my street. A tough female protagonist and a possible miscarriage of justice to be investigated? Yes please!

Tess Gilroy works for Innocence UK, which looks into the cases of people who may be wrongfully imprisoned. Carrie Kamara was convicted of murdering her husband’s lover, but the evidence is not all clear cut. I was unsure till the end, as is Tess really, whether Carrie was guilty or not - there are signs pointing in either dire
Cyndi
This had a unique and interesting plot and excellent character development. I loved how multi-faceted and multi-layered Tess’ personality was and how her own personal struggle was interwoven with that of Carrie, the woman whose innocence she was trying to prove. I did figure out one of the twists but enjoyed this thoroughly nonetheless.

Many thanks to Edelweiss, Atlantic Monthly Press and Paula Daly for my complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Not quite sure where to begin with my thoughts on this one. This is a pure slow burner, slowly enticing you with tidbits of information. Piquing your interest in the present day, I mean did Carrie do it? Why you are chomping at the bit to garner more information from the investigation, Daly breaks it up by placing your back in the past with Carrie’s point of view, starting four years ago and the downward spiral that has led her to her place of incarceration.

I did feel for Carrie, this woman has
Jan Bullock
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clear My Name -Paula Daly.

I have been a fan of Paula Daly's works for a long time and have read all of her books. I was thrilled to get a proof of her new book to review from Hilary Barnes at Transworld Publishers.

At first glance it seems a straightforward premise, a person in prison claims she didn't commit the crime and Innocence UK are asked to act and prove Carrie Kamara didn't stab Ella Muir, her husband 's girlfriend to death.

The main protagonist is Tess Driscoll a driven, complex and comp
Kelly Van Damme
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge fan of Paula Daly’s, her thrillers are always not just entertaining but also so very clever, somehow she always throws a little something into the mix that I don’t see coming and Clear My Name is no exception.

Clear My Name tells the story of Tess, the only fulltime employee of Innocence UK, which is a charity organisation that has managed to get quite a few prisoners acquitted. They revisit evidence, consider new evidence, try to find new witnesses, they go above and beyond to prove m
Pgchuis
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

This was an interesting premise: Tess is the investigator for a charity called Innocence UK, which identifies miscarriages of justice and works towards appeal. Here Tess has to determine whether Carrie killed her husband's girlfriend four years ago. Tess is being shadowed by a new recruit, Avril. The relationships between Tess and Avril and Tess and Clive (her married lover) were well-done, and the investigating scenes were interesti
Vikki Patis
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paula Daly is one of those authors who rarely disappoints, though I have to say that her novels have gotten better and better. Clear My Name is probably her strongest yet, with multifaceted characters who draw you in, and enough intrigue to keep you on the edge of your seat. Brilliant.
Debbie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is not my first time reading a book by this author. I really liked the way the story flowed. It moved at a steady pace and kept you wanting to know more. I felt like the characters were very believable and well developed. It was definitely worth the binge reading that I did to finish because I had to know the outcome. Thank you to Netgalley for an Arc of this book for my honest opinion. I would recommend this book . You will definitely be flipping those pages . Good job!
Kath
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ooo, this was a bit juicy! I simply whizzed through it in only a couple of sittings as I really needed to know the truth! Tess Gilroy, formerly a Parole Officer, now works for Innocence Uk, a charity who assists convicted prisoners who believe they are innocent. Their latest case is that of Carrie, a woman three years into a 15 year sentence for the murder of her husband’s lover. She has always maintained her innocence but to prove it Tess will have to unpick the original investigation to see wh ...more
Naomi
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Tess Gilroyis a loner in both her personal and professional lives. It suits that she is the sole employee of Innocence UK, a non-profit group that investigates alleged injustices in the legal system and brings those cases worthy of their attention, before the Court to appeal sentences of those wrongfully convicted.

It is with some trepidation Tess views Innocence UK's most recent case because it is from her hometown of Morecambe. [And, like any good hero or heroine Tess has a secret that she woul
Bethanie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting twist on the usual crime/murder mystery novel. Carrie has already been convicted and sentenced for murder, and been in prison for the last three years. Has she been wrongly convicted, or is her daughter unable to accept that her mother is a murderer?

The majority of murder mysteries or crime dramas end with the murderer admitting their crimes once they have been confronted with the evidence, so we never really think about what happens if an innocent person if found g
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paula Daly’s latest novel, ‘Clear My Name’ is just as memorable for its determined no-nonsense central character, former probation officer Tess Gilroy, as it is for its typically multi-layered plot. Tess works for Innocence UK, an organisation that investigates cases of those believed to be wrongfully imprisoned. Taking on the file of Cassie Kamara, serving a sentence for murdering her husband’s lover, sees Tess back in Morecombe, her childhood town, and this in itself brings back painful memori ...more
Michelle B
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tess works at Innocence UK, an organisation which examines alleged miscarriages of justice, when the imprisoned person claims they are innocent.
Tess is a complex character who has a hidden past. She works very hard and realises mistakes are made at court and justice is not always achieved. Tess likes to work alone and is not too happy when she is assigned a new trainee, Avril, who is incredibly keen, with an upbeat personality.
Their latest case is that of Carrie Kamara who was convicted of the
Lel Budge
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tess works for Innocence UK, a charitable organisation that helps rectify miscarriages of justice, those wrongly convicted.

The charity decides to take on Carrie’s case….the killing of her husbands lover, Ella, but is she innocent?

The story hops between the present and four years ago, showing the events that lead up to the murder.

Tess and her shadow, Avril, review all the case notes, the evidence and interview witnesses…..could DNA evidence be a deciding factor?

Poor Tess, her personal life is a c
Morgan Schulman
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was something else. I loved it, and I loved all of the female characters, even though they were often at war with each other and themselves. Daly’s game is just getting stronger and stronger. I can’t wait to read her next one. Kept me guessing the whole way and I didn’t see any of the twists coming. Easy 5
Kelly Gomez
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book was great, I was captivated by the first chapter and quickly breezed through the rest of the book. The storyline kept my interest and I really grew attached to the characters. Quick, easy read that kept me guessing.
« previous 1 3 next »

Paula Daly is the acclaimed author of five novels. Her work has been sold in fifteen countries, shortlisted for CWA Gold Dagger Crime Novel of the Year award, and her books are currently being developed into the ITV drama - Deep Water - set to air in 2019. She was born in Lancashire and lives in the Lake District with her husband, three children, and whippet Skippy.