Start by marking “The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange)” as Want to Read:
The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange)

The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange)

Published November 26th 2018 by Journey Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Shop on Peculiar Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shop on Peculiar Hill

Start your review of The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange)
Lorraine
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grimly Darkwood The Shop on Peculiar Hill

This debut fantasy novel by Grimly Darkwood is targeted at 8 - 12 year olds, but might appeal to any age group - it certainly appealed to me (73 and three quarters). The story charts the adventures of Peter, orphaned and newly fostered by an aunt and uncle, in a very peculiar environment indeed. This is a world populated by strange and threatening creatures - although the dark side of the story never, in my view, gets out of hand; we somehow know it will
Jane Potter
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc, fun-fantasy
Thanks to Grimly Darkwood for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the summary for this novel, I was intrigued. It sounded like a fun, clever new fantasy world. However, I didn't connect with this novel as I hoped I would.

The first part of the novel was slow for me to get invested in. While I enjoy the way we are thrown into the middle of the story, it felt a bit contrived for me. I didn't connect with the setting or the characters like I expected it. Also, I felt
Pegboard
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simon Ounsley’s pen-name, Grimly Darkwood, gives the reader a good idea as far as what kind of author they will find. The Shop on Peculiar Hill is mysterious and intriguing as it introduces the reader to new creatures and a different land. Peter moves to this area and is unaware of the dark secrets this town keeps. His Uncle Bob’s reluctance to explain the dangers places Peter at risk because of the surrounding hazards. And Peter is not sure how serious he should take his Aunt Maggie because of ...more
Mani
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I would like to thank the author for sending me a review copy of this book.

This is Grim Darkwood’s debut and first novel in theVale of StrangeSeries. It’s originally aimed at readers aged 8-12 year olds but after reading it I think it’s a great read for any age.

For someone who hasn’t read a book in the age group for ages I really found it enjoyable.

The book is beautifully written, with an interesting story full of adventure and strange creatures. It was also funny and gripping all at
Jill Hand
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shop on Peculiar Hill follows the adventures of an orphaned boy named Peter who goes to live with his aunt and uncle who are the proprietors of a very odd shop. Some of the products they sell are intended to protect people living near the ominously named Vale of Strange from being attacked by creatures called heeble-greebs and bogeys, among others. Peter's uncle is reluctant to tell him exactly what these are, only that they should be avoided at all costs.
This is a dark fairy tale, one that
Christine Hunter
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Very Strange Story

People are peculiar on Peculiar Hill. That being said, Peter has been sent to live with his aunt and uncle in Peculiar Hill. From here on the journey becomes more and more fantastical. You'll think you're at Willie Wonka's or riding along with Lemony Snickets. It's a fun book to read and I wouldn't think twice about letting my middle school kids have a go with it. Just remember to wear a hat.
Hayley Heaton
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Hayley by: voracious readers only
this book is really creative and does wonders for the imagination. for anyone who likes to read about strange things and about strange creatures i would recommend this book, and all the other books in this series. peter and amander have a bumpy start but learn to trust each other to save a child from danger.
Tracy
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to like it, but such frustrating kids. Not my thing.
Martin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a quirky and original children's fantasy. There are eccentrically named monsters, adventure, mild peril and some really great gags. Darkwood is not afraid to address chunkier issues such as 'why do we discount the lives of people we don't know?' which adds extra depth to this highly entertaining book.
J.L. Farey
Rosemary Hughes
Dec 02, 2019
Peggy
Dec 05, 2019

• Esteemed Vampire Cat (Colt Harper, #1)
  • The Underground
  • The Game of VORs
  • Sycorax: Book I: The Unique Miranda Trilogy
  • Merry Friggin' Christmas: An Edgy Christmas Comedy
  • Castle of Shadow (The Dark Castellan Book 0)
  • Blessed by Fire (Special Investigations, #1)
  • A Christmas Proposal (Peas and Carrots)
  • A Pocket Full of Poison: Dark Fairy Tales of Magic and Mystery (The Trouble With Hedge Witches Book 3)
  • The Trouble With Hedge Witches Series Bundle: Dark Fairy Tales of Magic and Mystery (Womby's School for Wayward Witches Series Bundle Book 5)
  • Failing Baili: A Unicorn Mis-Adventure
  • Things Behind The Sun: A Collection of Short Stories
  • Horrible Halloween Hazards
  • Demonic Visions: 50 Horror Tales 2
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock Book 2)
  • Shot Through the Tart (Apple Orchard Cozy Mystery Book 7)
  • The Maltese Parrot: A Patricia Fisher Mystery (A Humorous Cruise Ship Cozy Mystery Book 9)
  • Legacy of Light
Grimly Darkwood was born in the year nineteen hundred and blinkety blonk, which was a very long time ago. In those days, things were very different from how they are today. Carts were more common than cars, mobile phones had not been invented, and if you were very lucky, the highlight of your day was to find a free plastic spaceman in a packet of corn flakes.

Grimly thought that the sights and