Start by marking “Unmemory” as Want to Read:
Unmemory

Unmemory

An original, 9,000-word short story by Kristi DeMeester, with 10 illustrations by Yves Tourigny. A university student attempts to track down the briefly-glimpsed Christmas film which traumatized her as a child.
Unknown Binding, 40 pages
Published 2018 by Tallhat Press

To ask other readers questions about Unmemory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unmemory

Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Shelves: night-worms
4.5!
UNMEMORY has a lot of great things going for it. First of all, it's written by one of the best voices in horror today, Kristi DeMeester. Over the last year or so, I've become quite the fan.
This short story is also packaged in a chapbook format which I think is really collectible and unique-it reminds me of buying singles on vinyl--it's just worth having it as a piece of any horror lover's collection. The design of the chapbook itself and the illustrations all by Yves Tourigny are exceptional
Karl
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It seems that the Kristi DeMeester chapbook “Unmemory” will become my 2018 book of the Christmas season. It does feature Santa Clause or perhaps Krampus, though the tale does not overtly take place during the holiday season.

This being such a short story it would be easy to give things away, and I will do my best to refrain, If you have not read any of Ms. DeMeesters work I would strongly suggest that this is not the place the reader would want to start. She is a much, much better writer than th
Cameron Chaney
Shelves: 2018, adult, horror
I've heard a lot of great things about DeMeester over the past year, but Unmemory serves as my official introduction to her work, appropriate considering how much I love Christmas horror. Overall, I'm very intrigued with Kristi's weird, unique (and terrifying) style. In so few words, DeMeester paints an unsettling picture of childhood memory and, looking back on those memories now as an adult, how hard it is to decern what really happened and what was seen on a television screen.

This is a chilli
Bark
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-fiction, horror
Unmemory is a 40 page chapbook. 10 of those pages are beautifully illustrated by artist Yves Tourigny who brings the creep factor to life. His drawings buzz with unease and one of them is an eye-opening reveal that I just loved.

A young girl grows up in a religious cult that doesn’t allow television. They’re the windows to the devil and all that. Horrific, right? One day mom drags curious daughter to visit a friend and she goes snooping where she shouldn’t go snooping and spies a man watching a c
Emily
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
"...the memory of a film was the closest to a haunting we would encounter in our lives."

Unmemory was the third book I've read this year by Kristi DeMeester, and she is the greatest. She writes such gorgeous and unsettling scenes, and Unmemory did not disappoint. I think this was my first time reading a chapbook, and I enjoyed the experience.

I love that the book was illustrated. This made the book even more fun, and Yves Tourigny is very talented. The cover of this book is gorgeous, too. It wou
Kimberly
UNMEMORY is the first I have read from author Kristi DeMeester. This chapbook struck me as being as complete as any novella, in regards to how well we get to "know" the main character, Ashleigh.

We begin with a glimpse of her as a young girl, and how her home life and values were organized for her then.

". . . Thou shalt not, thou shalt not is easy enough to follow and allows you to imagine yourself worthy of redemption . . . "

This step was crucial in order for us to see how things impacted her
Janelle
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve decide Christmas horror is my thing. UNMEMORY by Kristi Demeester is an eerie, dark short story with ten exceptional illustrations by Yves Tourigny packaged in a pretty chapbook which has a vintage feel and I loved it.

I received this beauty in my Night Worms subscription box and I could not be more thrilled. It’s a compelling, unsettling short story that revolves around a chilling Christmas film that traumatized a young girl as a child. The creep factor is high and the story had the perfect
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
So this is a "chapbook" that was included in the Night Worms Horror Subscription box, Christmas edition which I bought as a treat for surviving the fiasco of "the horror box which shall not be named." While I loved that it featured Christmas, horror and cool illustrations, I think I'd have a hard time spending $15.00 on it so I'm glad it was included with some other. For real, it took me 1/2 hour to read and that was also while I was watching the Steelers self destruct or it might have went fast ...more
Alex findingmontauk1
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, night-worms
Kristi DeMeester grows as a favorite author of mine with each of her works I read. I first read Beneath. Then I read one story in Everything That's Underneath - and I am so eager to open that horror collection back up! And now I was able to read Unmemory, a creepy holiday-themed short story, due to it being included in the Night Worms book package for December.

I am going to start by saying that I am not YET a huge short story fan as a whole. I enjoy less of them than I love. And I LOVE even less
Marcy
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok y’all this story has creeped me out and terrorized me. It’s the kind of terror that seeps into the brain to stay!

This follows a young college student who has been haunted by a film she saw as a little girl. Can’t say too much more because this is such a short story that anything would be considered a spoiler.

I was able to relate to this story so much especially in the beginning when she was a child and the way she was brought up only that mine happened later in life. The illustrations in thi
Mindi
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my second work by DeMeester, and I'm definitely a fan. This little chapbook has so much inside!

I don't really want to talk about the story much because it's so short. I will say that it involves a movie, and I can very much relate to disturbing imagery in a film having a lasting impact on a person. Film is a medium that can truly haunt you. While Unmemory is a Christmas story, and really has nothing to do with the film Sinster, it still made me think about that film. The first time I saw
Mike
Shelves: fiction, horror
Review to come.
Michelle
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"...there [are] no such things as ghosts, but the memory of a film was the closest to a haunting we would encounter in our lives."

Our childhood and how our parents raise us has such a lasting impression on our lives, even (and sometimes especially) well into adulthood. We can try, much like our narrator/main character, to go as far away from those memories as we can, but in the end they always come back out. Some lesson we are "taught," perhaps some movie we happen to watch...these things stick
Amanda
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A creepy and compelling story, but something was missing for me.
UPDATED REVIEW: I’ve been thinking about my review and trying to pinpoint what didn’t work for me. Some of the actions of the main character didn’t seem realistic. I think my original review was a bit too harsh. I enjoyed the way Demeester crafted a very specific creepy feeling of remembering something scary from childhood. I haven’t read something that makes me feel dread quite like this little book.
Lindsey
Shelves: night-worms
This short story packs a punch!

The build up and illustrations felt like a five star read to me. I devoured it all at once, because the creepiness kept me glued to the page. I'm fairly certain it's the first Christmas horror story I've ever read. We meet the main character as a child and things go from weird, to dark, to extremely disturbing. The illustrations were also phenomenal.

The thing that brought down the rating was the ending. I'm okay with some unanswered questions, but in this case I fe
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
A short Christmas treat from one of the rising modern horror greats.

DeMeester knows she doesn’t always have to get gory or have everything dripping with blood and monster fangs to scare your pants off. Sometimes it is all in the art of suggestion, in the strange moments of “what if” and supplanting the reader’s expectations.

She fills each short scene of this story with dread, leaving the reader with the impression that at any moment, something horrible could happen. That tension of waiting, not
Jessica
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
UNMEMORY is a short story that truly delivers something haunting! The premise of this story focuses on a college student who was traumatized by a film that she accidentally watched when she was a young child. This film is about a Santa Claus who is anything but jolly! The journey to discover what this film is called is one that will linger with you beyond the 9,000 words contained within this chapbook.

Kristi DeMeester is one of those horror authors that I have heard a lot of buzz surrounding thi
Jamie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a newbie when it comes to holiday-themed horror, and after reading this chapbook from Kristi DeMeester, I am ready for more! The dedication and the first few lines of the story immediately drew me in, and I couldn't put it down. DeMeester is a master of writing unsettling stories.I had similar feelings with this one as I did while reading her collection "Everything That's Underneath". I enjoyed this story, and thought that the illustrations by Yves Tourigny perfectly added to the creep facto ...more
Octavia
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What's creepier than trying to track down the ghost of a memory that scared you badly as a child? Tracking it down and finding out that it wasn't what you thought it was---it's even weirder and more horrifying!😱 This was my first @kdemeester read and the first book I read to get in the mood for the holidays. Unmemory was short and sweet, like licking a candy cane into a spike and cutting your tongue.
[Does anyone else eat candy canes like that or am I just strange?]
This story is going to linger i
Out of the Bex
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kristi Demeester has a unique voice me a gift for visualizations. However, I wasn’t too impressed by the short little work one way or the other. It seemed a bit thematically stilted to me and the plot a bit haphazard.

I will say I loved the illustrations and the format for such a small publication, though I did note a few spelling errors.

Lindsey
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Haunting. That sums this up in one word.
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
Review to come!
Kristyn
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This is a little gem. I love the story and the illustrations.
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, horror
This is my first introduction to Kristi DeMeester and it won't be my last. The short chapbook was haunting and the idea that our memories will the very thing that haunts us was chilling. The artwork included with the story was phenomenal and sent shivers, it certainly added to the overall experience. I devoured this on the train ride into work this morning and now I feel like I'll be haunted for the rest of the day. And who doesn't love Christmas Horror!?
Kirsten LoAndBeHolt
This short piece took me about an hour to read, and is perfect for the holiday season. The cover art and illustrations throughout are a welcome addition to Demeester's work, and I appreciated that the illustrations didn't attempt to script the horror into a single image, instead, highlighting the terror of having to imagine what these shapes look like. A nice touch!

Unmemory came in my first NightWorms package. I've not yet read Demeester's full length works, but I'm familiar with her unsettling
Lisa
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kristi Demeester is one of my favorite author discoveries of 2018. I’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about her, and my first personal experience with her writing was in the LOST FILMS anthology that came out earlier this year. While that whole book is great, it is honestly worth it for Kristi’s story alone.

Since reading that story I’ve been determined to check out more of her work. Her collection and novel are both on my list for next year—but UNMEMORY was an unexpected surprise included in the Ni
Suzy Michael
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
I received this short story in December's @night_worms debut book box. This tale was one of three books included in the box, and my first to read from it. It was a pleasant surprise, but not a shock, coming from said author. I have read some of her other work, and I'm definitely a fan! But a Christmas themed horror story? Bold move, but Demeester definitely delivered!
This short story revolves around a college student who trys to track down a Christmas film that traumatized her as a child.
There a
Maddie
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Unmemory" is my second encounter with Kristi DeMeester's writing, after her "YesNoGoodbye" story from the "Tales of a Talking Board" anthology. I had previously liked her writing, so I was very excited when I received this chapbook in the debut horror subscription box, Night Worms.

The plot follows a college girl who needs to write a paper on the way movies affect our lives. She decides to write her paper on a Christmas movie that traumatized her as a young child. As she starts looking for that
MamaMiaReads
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Received this book from the Night Worms December package. It looked innocent enough and was a short read. I had not heard of this author before so this was my introduction to her writing.

Have you ever watched a movie as a child that left you traumatized and then you find it years later only it is not as scary as you thought? Well In Unmemory a college student is trying to track down a film she saw in her childhood that traumatized her and when she thinks she finds it a lot happens in a short amo
James Krstulovich
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unmemory by Kristi DeMeester w/ illustrations by Yves Tourigny; chapbook published by Tallhat Press and available here http://www.yvestourigny.com/shop/deme...

A born-again religious upbringing and a stolen glimpse of a monstrous Santa in a lost movie haunts a woman in college.

I try to read a lot of Weird Fiction, but much of the writing disappoints me: awkward phrasing, lazy or trite wording, seemingly unnecessary attention to detail (further hampered by the first two points)... But Kristi DeMee