Start by marking “The Reckless Oath We Made” as Want to Read:
The Reckless Oath We Made

The Reckless Oath We Made

A provocative love story between a tough Kansas woman on a crooked path to redemption and the unlikeliest of champions, from the New York Times bestselling author of All the Ugly and Wonderful Things.

Zee is nobody's fairy tale princess. Almost six-foot, with a redhead's temper and a shattered hip, she has a long list of worries: never-ending bills, her beautiful, gullible
Expected publication: August 20th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Reckless Oath We Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reckless Oath We Made

karen
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
i gave this one four stars because i didn’t like it quite as much as All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, but that’s a pretty hard book to top. my 1-5 ratings are starbitrary, but my words are all encouraging you to read this book.

this is literary fiction that has put one fist in the romance barrel and one fist in the crime fiction barrel, grabbed the most interesting bits and made a whole new thing outta them.

i do not like romance novels, but i do like this. like atuawt, it’s a paradox of a lov
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
After reading All the Ugly and Wonderful Things I knew when I heard that Bryn Greenwood was about to release another book my face started doing this right here.........

I loved that book. Hard.
But now? I'm having a hard time choosing a favorite between that book and this one.

I have a problem though. I can rant for hours when I hate a book...but when I love it? I turn into a big old hot mess and can't word for nothing.

Here goes my rambling though. (And it's not really a synopsis of the book. Y
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
DNF at 40%

No, no, no I can't take another sentence of Middle English that I have to translate in my brain before I can continue the story. This is a DNF for me at 40% Example: “My lady. If thou wilt allow me to help thee,” he said. When I didn’t answer, he got down on one knee, like he meant to propose to me. “’Tis my honor to carry thee whither thou desirest.”and on and on an on.

This is such a disappointment for me. I know that there is a great story here but I gave it two evenings and only mad
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Waaaaaaaaay back in 2016 I scored a NetGalley ARC of a little book by an unknown author. (Basically, the mere mention of the word “meth” gets me all grabby hands.) To say All the Ugly and Wonderful Things blew my socks off is probably the understatement of the decade. I barfed my feelings out all over the intertubes about the sleeper that would become one of my favorite stories of all time. In turn, I was handsomely rewarded b
Emily May
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-lit, 2019, arc

It has taken me so long to organise my thoughts on this book. You know when you're just so sure you're going to love a book? When you start reading and it doesn't immediately grab you, but there's time, and you read some more, and it's just not everything you were hoping for, but you push on and finish it and
Barbara White
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this late last night--or rather, early this morning--and THE RECKLESS OATH WE MADE is, without doubt, one of the best books I've ever read. A glorious epic with unforgettable characters who live outside the lines, it's about pain and poverty, mental illness and medieval chivalry, love and redemption.

Zee and Sir Gentry are mismatched in every way except for their sense of loyalty. She’s a wise-ass, hot-tempered, drug-dealing waitress with a shattered hip who kept her family together--
*~* Susie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2019, my-favorites
5+++ stars

Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley. Thank you!

Ok, where to start???

First, I’ll say that ATUAWT is outstanding and one of my very favorite books. I’ve read it many times. Very controversial, but a must read, in my opinion. I see some reviewers comparing these two books (both by the same author)….I won’t be doing that. I loved them both for different reasons.

Zhorzha (Zee), was difficult for me to like at times. She was strong-willed, but weak in practice. Some of her decisio
Maria
May 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Woo hoo!! I just won a copy of this book from the author. This is my first Goodreads win and I can't believe my luck considering All the Ugly and Wonderful Things is one of my favorite books.
Emily
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bryn Greenwood is a goddamn treasure and we don't deserve her.
Brandi
Jun 27, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Super excited to get the chance to read this one early! :)
description

*ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
Talon
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
One thing I know for certain after finishing The Reckless Oath We Made, I absolutely love how Bryn takes two unlikely people and always brings them together. In some way or another, they bond and attract and I love the way she does this. It never ceases to amaze me. It's beautiful.

As with All the Ugly and Wonderful Things— I love all of the POVs in this story. Bryn is so incredibly talented when it comes to this. Keeping a story going through multiple and continuous POVs. Strategically placed.
Nadine Jones
I don't even care what this book is about, just take my money and give it to me!!!!
Liz Fenton
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An improbable alliance and a unlikely hero will capture your heart in THE RECKLESS OATH WE MADE. It’s a story with several captivating narratives that push and pull at one another, stretching loyalties to the brink of destruction. You won’t be able to put down this mesmerizing novel until each character’s fate is known. We loved every page!
Erin
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are times when you read a debut book and you want to go all Misery on the author and take them into your home and “help” them write to their hearts content. Bryn Greenwood is that for me after her first book. So when I heard she had a sophomore title coming out..not until August...I did what any other self-respecting, obsessed reader would do and procured an ARC and crossed every finger and toe hoping it would not disappoint. And oh did it not disappoint!!

When I first started this book I
Tish Holman
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I love grit lit so I was dancing when I got an ARC of The Reckless Oath We Made, and started it at 10:10 pm. It could not wait. I stayed up hours past my bedtime willing myself to love it, keep an open mind and enjoy the ride. But I just couldn’t. I could not reconcile grit lit and medieval fantasy, the chasm was too wide.

What’s crazy is I loved it and hated it simultaneously. I loved Zee. I loved Gentry. The two concepts together just......

This book simply wasn’t for me. I’m clearly in the mino
Jillian Doherty
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ohmygoodness I LOVE this story! It's original character's create a world i equally had to stay in, and be sad to leave when it was over.

Zee's brutally honest, and unapologetic style is perfectly balanced with Gentry gallantry and valor.

I don't remember the last time I read something where the setting, the premise, and the outcomes were all so bracing and exhilarating~

I cannot wait to share the story!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
Therese Walsh
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writers-unboxed
The best thing about this book is everything: inventive storytelling, singular characters, perspectives that push and challenge and expand your worldview. A truly unforgettable tale that redefines what it means to be heroic. Your inner phoenix will roar!
Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bryn Greenwood does it again. Her writing style blew me away with All the Ugly and Wonderful Things and topped itself with The Reckless Oath We Made. The subject matter in this one was a lot more bearable than her first novel, focusing more on the love story and how strong bonds are between people, rather than being vulgar to emphasize the impact of those bonds. I absolutely LOVED the autistic male protagonist, Gentry, in this novel, as the author handled him with grace and sensitivity while mak ...more
Kara
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The feel and flow of The Reckless Oath We Made is unlike any other book I've read. Ever. Sir Gentry is a fearless, brave, and honorable man. I would lay down arms for him to be my k-night. Zee, she too has made an oath to many. She's weaving her own path and trying to sort out other's wrongs. But she finds her way. Bryn's ability with words is not just about her words. She paints a picture, provides the entire soul of a character and bleeds it onto the paper. I am sucked into the worlds she shar ...more
Elise
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bryn Greenwood writes fascinating and fresh characters coupled with plot lines meant, at times, to shake readers out of their comfort zones. She also shamelessly wrecks a reader, in the best way, along the journey to the book's ending. I adored Gentry and his archaic speech pattern and Zee's sense of responsibility in finding someway to protect her family. Zee's family is messy and unlovable, but it's in a relatable way for many of us who have family members who make us cringe on occasion. Peopl ...more
Andrea
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book. If I could give it six stars, I would.

If you are a fan of Bryn Greenwood’s writing, and storytelling, this will be your new favorite book.

I read this in two days. Or better yet, i n h a l e d it. It’s one of those books you just can’t put down. And if you do put it down, you won’t stop thinking about it until you pick it up again. It’s been a while since I read one of those kinds of books (I'm already planning on re-reading it).

The story follows our main character, Zee, who look
Annarella
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The writer is a master storyteller and you cannot put down this book until you read the last page.
The engaging plot, the great characters, how the emotions are described make this book a very good one, one of those book you'll hardly forget.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Kelsey Hudson
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bryn Greenwood excels at writing stories about misfits who find one another and find love and compassion within a cruel world. Zee is what most people would consider white trash: she works as a waitress/drug runner and hasn't really done much with her life. To Gentry, she's Lady Zhorzha, the woman he must protect and honor as her champion. Like many people, Zee initially assumes that Gentry is crazy, but as she get she gets to know him and understand his autism, she realizes what a good person G ...more
Karen R.
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where to start with this beautiful story? There was a lot going on, and it all worked together perfectly. I must admit I pushed this book to the top of my list, as I loved Bryn Greenwood’s previous book, All The Beautiful and Ugly Things.
The Reckless Oath We Made is a heartbreaking and tender story of Zee and Gentry. Zee is out of luck, out of money, and out of ideas. She is barely surviving with her waitressing job and small time pot dealing. She takes care of her mother, sister and nephew, lea
Kell Andrews
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read a draft and it was my favorite book of 2017. Can't wait to reread it as my favorite book of 2019!
Readingtilthebreakofdawn
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Bryn Greenwood has a special talent to put together two completely different characters and have them create a bond that seems natural and beautiful. Even when everyone else seems to think otherwise. And The Reckless Oath We Made solidified that with Zee and Gentry. These two couldn't be more different. But Gentry and Zee did have a parts of their pasts that made their present lives hard to live and they seemed to bring that out in each other. They could relate and help one another when no one e ...more
Cindy H.
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Putnam Penguin Group for gifting me with an ARC of Bryan Greenwood’s newest novel. In exchange I offer my honest opinion.

All The Ugly and Wonderful Things was one of my favorite recent reads, so I was beyond ecstatic to receive an advanced copy of Greenwood’s newest story, The Reckless Oaths We Made. While there are certain elements in both stories that are similar her newest story is still very fresh and original. I am not certain the character of Gentry will work wi
Kate Webb
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this author!
Kris Herndon
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a tour de force. It had me by the throat and wouldn't let me go until I finished. There are so many subtle layers to the story that reinforce each other so well, so this will be a rambling review, but without spoilers!

I want to begin this review by talking about the hero, Gentry, who is on the autism spectrum. That's such a challenging thing to pull off, but it's handled with so much sensitivity and subtlety; it feels essential to both the character and the narrative that he has au
Cheri

Zhorzha Trego’s life has never been easy - not as long as she remembers, anyway. Her father Marcus went to prison when she was just a child, and died there, leaving her mother to fill the holes in her heart with objects and food. Her mother’s grief affected both her and her older sister, LaReigne, who volunteers at the local prison, leaving her with the burden of financial support for the family - on a waitress income. To add to her personal issues, an accident left her with chronic pain in her

• Say You Still Love Me
  • Daddiopath
  • Maximus
  • Marriage and Murder (Handcrafted Mysteries, #2)
  • The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • The Glass Hotel
  • How Can I Help? A Week in My Life as a Psychiatrist
  • The Last Post
  • The Librarian's Book of Lists
  • Crash (Love the Way You Lie, #3)
  • The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher
  • Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love
  • A Boy Named Risk
  • Εφιάλτες: Συμβόλαιο ψυχής (Εφιάλτες, #1)
  • Island Chaptal and the Ancient Aliens' Treasure (Spotless, #5)
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • From This Day Forward - The Darcys of Pemberley
BRYN GREENWOOD is a fourth-generation Kansan and the daughter of a mostly reformed drug dealer. She is the author of the NYT bestseller All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. Her fourth novel, The Reckless Oath We Made is coming from Putnam in 2019. She lives in Lawrence, Kansas.