Start by marking “The Reckless Oath We Made” as Want to Read:
The Reckless Oath We Made

The Reckless Oath We Made

A provocative love story between a tough Kansas woman on a crooked path to redemption and the unlikeliest of champions, from the New York Times bestselling author of All the Ugly and Wonderful Things.

Zee is nobody's fairy tale princess. Almost six-foot, with a redhead's temper and a shattered hip, she has a long list of worries: never-ending bills, her beautiful, gullible
Published August 20th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Reckless Oath We Made, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
anolinde I didn't see where this was explicitly mentioned in the text, so someone else can jump in if it was, but remember how Charlene took Gendry's sword…moreI didn't see where this was explicitly mentioned in the text, so someone else can jump in if it was, but remember how Charlene took Gendry's sword down from the wall? My guess was that Zee asked Charlene what she had done with it and found out that Charlene had tossed it in the lake. So she knew where to get it.(less)

Start your review of The Reckless Oath We Made
Emily May
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, modern-lit, arc

It has taken me so long to organise my thoughts on this book. You know when you're just so sure you're going to love a book? When you start reading and it doesn't immediately grab you, but there's time, and you read some more, and it's just not everything you were hoping for, but you push on and finish it and look back
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Before I get started, I just want to say how fortunate I feel to have been contacted by Bryn Greenwood herself and offered an ARC for this book earlier in the year. I truly loved and adored All the Ugly and Wonderful Things.

So much, in fact, that I recommended it to my grandmother...who had just recently started the switch to audio books after experiencing failing eyesight...and who scolded me like a child afterward for not warning her about some of the "racier" (her word) scenes she had to listen to.
karen
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!!

i gave this one four stars because i didn’t like it quite as much as All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, but that’s a pretty hard book to top. my 1-5 ratings are starbitrary, but my words are all encouraging you to read this book.

this is literary fiction that has put one fist in the romance barrel and one fist in the crime fiction barrel, grabbed the most interesting bits and made a whole new thing outta them.

i do not like romance novels, but i do like this. like atuawt, it’s a paradox of a love story;
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
Are you the junk of the unconventional love stories with irregular, different characters you’ve never seen at your regular romance novels?

Have you ever felt in love with a book and to express your feelings about it, have you written a song for it and sung it at the karaoke bar covering your ears not to hear boos!

I’ve done it after I’ve read “All the Beautiful and Ugly Things” and this time instead of writing a new song, I’ll sing “can’t take my eyes off you” till my throat hurts and
Liz
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was an amazing book. While I forget most books just weeks after I read them, that one really stuck with me. So I was thrilled to get an early look at Brynwood’s latest work.
Brynwood doesn’t pick easy topics or easy characters. Among other jobs, Zee is a drug mule. As the story opens, she’s bringing two suitcases of weed to her drug dealing boss. She’s traveling with her six year old nephew, because her sister is missing. Turns out, her sister, a prison vol
Bryn Greenwood
Aug 20, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-books
Here it is at last. My book is out in the world. It's a terrifying day, because something I spent so much time alone with is out of my hands. It's also an exciting day, because this is a book I want people to read. I want it to find the people who connect with it--my people.
Angela M
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
A little too quirky, way over the top and a bit convoluted. The fairy tale nature of the story with an autistic man who thinks he’s a knight, mixed with drugs, a prison breakouts, the KKK, a plan gone wrong to free a character believed to be kidnapped, and a slew of other real life issues had me struggling to get through it, even with a bit of skimming which I freely admit to. Gentry’s Middle English drove me crazy after while, but I have to say he was one of my favorite characters, a
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
After reading All the Ugly and Wonderful Things I knew when I heard that Bryn Greenwood was about to release another book my face started doing this right here.........

I loved that book. Hard.
But now? I'm having a hard time choosing a favorite between that book and this one.

I have a problem though. I can rant for hours when I hate a book...but when I love it? I turn into a big old hot mess and can't word for nothing.

Here goes my rambling though. (And it's not really a sy
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The main character of this book is Zhorzha "Zee" Trego. She's had a troubled family life due to her father having gone to prison for murder when she was a child. This tragedy had a negative rippling effect on the family, because Zee's mother weighs about 600 pounds and never leaves the house. Mom is also a hoarder, and there is barely room to even walk around. Zhorzha doesn't live there anymore, but she works as a waitress and sells pot to subsidize her Mom's living expenses. In fact, Zee will e ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

RELEASE DAY TODAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (8/20)

4.5 Stars

Waaaaaaaaay back in 2016 I scored a NetGalley ARC of a little book by an unknown author. (Basically, the mere mention of the word “meth” gets me all grabby hands.) To say All the Ugly and Wonderful Things blew my socks off is probably the understatement of the decade. I barfed my feelings out all over the intertubes about the sleeper that would become one of my favorite stories of all time. In turn, I was handsomely rewarded by the author when a copy ohttp://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
RELEASE
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
DNF at 40%

No, no, no I can't take another sentence of Middle English that I have to translate in my brain before I can continue the story. This is a DNF for me at 40% Example: “My lady. If thou wilt allow me to help thee,” he said. When I didn’t answer, he got down on one knee, like he meant to propose to me. “’Tis my honor to carry thee whither thou desirest.”and on and on an on.

This is such a disappointment for me. I know that there is a great story here but I gave it t
Diane S ☔
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor-2019
Since I've been reading so many non fiction books I've had a hard time with fiction. Except for my mysteries, which I seem to be doing okay with. You're both going to be surprised but i loved this. Yes, it was over the top, unrealistic but to me it's a modern day adult fairy tale. Z. Coming from a family of crime, relatives and friends with the KKK has as a defender,Sir Gentry. I fell hard for Gentry. Anyway, I think this is a clever book, and i didn't read her first, not my type of subject matt ...more
Christy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it

photo IMG_5073_zpslgtjtmek.png

I am so thankful I gave this book a second chance! Earlier this year, I was graciously contacted by the author and was provided a paperback arc. I couldn’t contain my excitement in getting to read The Reckless Oath We Made early, as her other book (ATUAWT) is one of my top favorite reads. When the time came to sit down and read the book, I couldn’t get i
marilyn
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The Reckless Oath We Made is a winner for me. And, as I read the book, I was picturing the author as Zee. Pictures I've seen of the author are of a no nonsense woman, strong, good looking in the not Hollywood fake way, and that is how I see Zee, the woman with frizzy red hair, tall, big, and maintaining a loyalty to her family that keeps them upright even if they aren't aware that she is holding them up. I realized that she's beautiful, but she doesn't know it. She's not the typical petite beaut ...more
Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

Zhorzha Trego’s life has never been easy - not as long as she remembers, anyway. Her father Marcus went to prison when she was just a child, and died there, leaving her mother to fill the holes in her heart with objects and food. Her mother’s grief affected both her and her older sister, LaReigne, who volunteers at the local prison, leaving her with the burden of financial support for the family - on a waitress income. To add to her personal issues, an accident le
Karen
Aug 03, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 20%
Not interested in the characters or story line at all! I’m quite disappointed because I loved this author’s All the Ugly and Wonderful Things! Too many books waiting for me to waste my time on this one.. but... I am in the minority here so don’t go by me😅
Esil
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ew
I think I get what Bryn Greenwood is doing in This Reckless Oath We Made, but it was a bit too over the top for me. Zee is 26 years old, and her life is a mess. Her father died in jail as a convicted murderer, her mother is a shut-in hoarder and her sister has recently disappeared, leaving her to care for her 5 year old nephew and to try to find her sister. Initially, the best way she comes up with to help herself, her sister and her nephew is by selling weed and getting what she can from creepy ...more
Corina
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story not only covers topics like hoarding, which honestly fascinates but also creeps me out, mental illness, and complicated family dynamics. Surprisingly it also was about living during the Renaissance period. Which really caught me unprepared but is something I rather enjoy reading about.

I’m not going to lie, I was hesitant about picking up this book. After so many years of adoring ATUAWT I didn’t know what to expect, nor what I actually hoped for, and I was definitely worried
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
❤4 STARS❤

This was a unique story, I did't loved it as much as All The Ugly and wonderfull things but still it was captivating and original.It started really well, but I find myself struggling a little bit at some points, but while I continue reading it I loved it even more!

description

Gentry is mostly the reason I loved this one!Zee and Gentry were intresting and unique!It was a little
Barbara White
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this late last night--or rather, early this morning--and THE RECKLESS OATH WE MADE is, without doubt, one of the best books I've ever read. A glorious epic with unforgettable characters who live outside the lines, it's about pain and poverty, mental illness and medieval chivalry, love and redemption.

Zee and Sir Gentry are mismatched in every way except for their sense of loyalty. She’s a wise-ass, hot-tempered, drug-dealing waitress with a shattered hip who kept her family together--
CC

Zhorzha “Zee” Trego hasn’t had an easy life, but she’s learned to adapt considering the circumstances. After her sister is taken hostage during a prison break, Zhorzha is burdened with added responsibility. Yet, there is one person who seems to be watching over her.

“She wore her anger like a cloak of fire that burned none but herself.”

Gentry Frank is a unique man of many talents and enigmatic layers. With his chivalrous nature, Gentry offers his noble service to Lady Zhorzha. As he proves his honher.
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Liberty Hardy

Get ready to call in sick so you can devour one of the most imaginative novels of the year! Its wildly original story full of achingly real characters will have you turning the pages like you’re competing in an Olympic reading event.

Zhorzha Trego has a world of problems. She lives with her gullible older sister and five-year-old nephew in Kansas. She waits tables (and sells pot) to try and make ends meet; she is in chronic pain; her moth
Brandi
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super excited to get the chance to read this one early! :)
description

This captivating and utterly unique story had me glued to my kindle. Honestly, I have struggled to put my thoughts into words. This story is different, and the way Gentry speaks certainly took some getting use too, but, I felt this story. These characters have earned a special place in my heart. When I hit The End, I found it hard t
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE RECKLESS OATH WE MADE is an unlikely love story about a woman whose family has a criminal background and an autistic man who speaks only in Middle English and believes himself to be a knight.

”People talk about having an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. I had a pair of imaginary bill collectors, so no matter which way I turned, there was somebody to remind me I needed money. That’s how I ended up on a train at four o’clock in the morning with my nephew and a hundred pounds of weed.

Zee i
warhawke
Genre: General Fiction
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person – Multiple
Rating:

Life had never been easy for Zhorzha (Zee) Trego. When a crisis hit her already barely hanging family, salvation came in the form of Gentry Frank - a literal knight in shining armor. Together, they embarked on a dangerous task that would challenge their freedom and loyalty and consequently changed the course of their lives.

Gentry was one of the most unique heroes I’ve read. I absolutely loved him for his mind and his heart. Zee, onStandalone
POV:
Emily
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bryn Greenwood is a goddamn treasure and we don't deserve her.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
6 stars!!!

One thing is certain Bryn Greenwood never does conventional or the expected!

Demonstration in two steps:

One: Forget the perfectly handsome hero or gorgeous heroine.
Zhorzha or Zee or Lady Zhorzha is very tall has thick creamy thights and fatty boobs with a mane of fire. She swears, has a huge tattoo and has never hesitated trading sex for money.

Gentry is not very tall but stocky. In need of a real haircuts and speaks to his feet. He is autistic and hear four voices: the Witch, his voice of reason, the Black Kn
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I loved this book! I was completely mesmerized by the story and found myself thinking about even when I was wasn't reading it. I was a little hesitant to pick up this book because I didn't love the author's first book, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, like so many did. I had nothing to worry about because this book worked for me on almost every level. I am so glad that I gave this book a chance.

Zee and Gentry were wo
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars ⭐ ...more
Zoe
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heart-tugging, unconventional, and gritty!

The Reckless Oath We Made is an incredibly raw, moving novel about life in small-town Kansas where making ends meet is hard, responsibility weighs heavy, and loyalty, innocence, and love comes in many different forms.

The writing style is unique, with the narration being a mixture of contemporary and Middle English. The characters are tormented, fragile, and opportunistic. And the plot takes us on an emotional rollercoaster ride fu
Book of The Month: The Reckless Oath We Made 2 32 Sep 14, 2019 10:18AM

• Dominicana
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • The Gifted School
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Turn of the Key
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • A Nearly Normal Family
  • Lock Every Door
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Three Women
  • The Chestnut Man
  • How Not to Die Alone
BRYN GREENWOOD is a fourth-generation Kansan and the daughter of a mostly reformed drug dealer. She is the NYT bestselling author of The Reckless Oath We Made, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, Lie Lay Lain, and Last Will. She lives in Lawrence, Kansas.