Start by marking “Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run” as Want to Read:
Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run

Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  11 ratings  ·  8 reviews
What happens when you are born to be a great racehorse and you don't like to run? Percy, a little colt named after his father and grandfather, was born to be a racehorse. But, despite his mother's encouragement, he just doesn't like to run. A friendship with a young boy in a wheelchair leads him to find his true purpose in life.
Paperback, 1st Edition, 30 pages
Published November 28th 2018 by Dancing Horse Press

To ask other readers questions about Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run
Clare O'Beara
This is a charming story, illustrated on all pages, about a foal (not a racehorse) which finds another purpose in life beyond racing. We also meet a boy who loves horses and who uses a wheelchair, so the tale is good for introducing coping with disability.

A little fact here: I owned Thoroughbreds and as young horses they are not suited to give rides to children with disabilities. As mature horses, this could be a great semi-retirement for them.

On another level, the example of Percy can show us
M.J. Evans
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author of this book, I wanted to share a little insight with you. This is my first, and probably only, picture book as being limited to 1000 words and 30 pages (the industry standard for picture books) is really hard for a novel writer. However, I wanted the experience of working with an illustrator to create the images in my head through both word and art. The illustrator, Gaspar Sabater, was so fun to work with and so patient with all my demands. I had a clear picture in my head of how ...more
Billy Buttons
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: PERCY: The Racehorse Who Didn't like to Run

Writing Style: 8/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 8/10
Of the 18 readers:
17 would read another book by this author.
16 thought the cover was good or excellent.
18 felt it was easy to follow.
18 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 10 felt t
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Percy is a young colt with a white star on his forehead. From the day of his birth, his adoring mother began telling him of his purpose, to be a racehorse like his father and grandfather. But Percy much prefers to watch the butterflies and visit through the fence with the young boy in a wheelchair who brings him sugar cubes. Percy wants to please his mother but begins to wonder if he might, perhaps, have another purpose in life.

Multi award-winning author M.J. Evans has crafted this charming chi
Connie Huddleston
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Percy: The Racehorse Who Didn’t Like to Run by M.J. Evans is both an entertaining and serious story about choices and purpose in life. Multi award winning author, M.J. usually scribes middle grade books. This is her first picture book. With simple, beautiful illustrations by Gaspar Sabater, M.J.’s story comes to life as Percy struggles with who he is destined to be, and what he wants to be. The lovely ending shows children that we have choices in our lives and have to decide for ourselves which ...more
Lisa Reinicke
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a horse lover to fall in love with Percy. This story has meaning far beyond the simple children's picture book. It can speak to adults as they read along that we all have a purpose in life and a dream that we were meant to fulfill. What we are born with isn't always obvious until we take the chance to wander into our destiny.
Bravo Margi for speaking to the heart of our children and giving them a story they can read over and over again and find new meaning with every page.
Barb
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've had the chance to see the magic of hippotherapy in my work. Percy's struggle to find himself instead of following in the footsteps of his family touches a chord for readers, young and old. The horses that help people with autism, brain injury and other challenges have Percy's sensitivity. Margi Evans finds a joyful way to encourage every reader and listener to follow their heart.
Barb Lundy
Dede Stockton
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a valuable lesson to all! Percy proves that we all need to follow our own path and do what makes us happy! He knew he didn't want to be a racehorse even if that is what he was bred to be. A small boy in a wheelchair provide the inspiration for Percy to choose his own path! Sweet story of courage and persistence. Loved the story and the illustrations!
Chris
Aug 02, 2020
Danielle Hammelef
marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2020

• The Arms of Death (Loch Lonach #1)
  • My Teacher Dad
  • The Hairy Hand
  • HomoAmerican - The Secret Society
  • The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The TyrantoCrankaTsuris
  • First Earth (Arch Mage #1)
  • Think Outside the Box
  • Roo, The Little Red Tuk Tuk
  • Jay-Jay and his Island Adventure
  • Tupelo Honey
  • Llywelyn
  • Bear into Redemption (Onoma #2)
  • I See London, I See France...
  • The Last Honey Bee
  • Britfield and the Lost Crown
  • A Tiger's Tale
  • Hidden Scales
  • The Book of Silly Rhymes
I am a graduate of Oregon State University. Upon graduation, I spent five years teaching at the middle school and high school levels. My writing, at that time, was limited to curriculum. That was not fun.

While raising my children, I coached their Odyssey of the Mind and Destination Imagination teams for seventeen years. I helped them write their own stories for the competitions. During this time,

News & Interviews