Start by marking “Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)

Mastering the Flames

(The Beacon Hill Sorcerer #4)

Guilt-ridden after the massacre of his family, Isaac Salvatore turned to binge drinking to escape the pain. Now twenty-four years old, Isaac is a recovering alcoholic woefully out of practice in the magical arts, leaving his fire affinity hanging on the edge of disaster. After a month of rehab, he returns to Beacon Hill and his family, determined to remain sober, learn to ...more
Published October 4th 2019 by SJ Himes

To ask other readers questions about Mastering the Flames, please sign up.
S.J. Himes No idea! I work on a book until it's done and I don't have deadlines or schedules anymore as I can never keep them. If you want up to date info on my …moreNo idea! I work on a book until it's done and I don't have deadlines or schedules anymore as I can never keep them. If you want up to date info on my progress for a title, please go to my website www.sjhimes.com or Follow me on Facebook. I am nearly done with it, but it still has revisions, edits, proofing, formatting, ARC distribution, all before it releases. (less)

Start your review of Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
S.J. Himes
Nov 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book is available starting Oct. 4th, 2019. Happy reading.
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Hearts for the Audio —— 4 for the Story!

The audio for the The Necromancer's Dance was my first foray into Joel Leslie, and though it was a very interesting introduction, and though he’s not in my top 10 narrators, I will forever identify him with this series, which is a favorite of mine in the urban fantasy paranormal genre.

Again, Leslie brings the dramatics and all the characters to life, and I was entertained, enjoying my revisit into this world. It only hammered down that I’m jonesing for
Barbara➰
Reread April 2021

So after I read my original review, I was left scratching my head. Maybe it's because I'd already read it, but I found it more romantic this time. I love the two of them together. One thing that did bother me this time was Isaac crying all the time. I get his struggles with his addiction and all, but he cries a lot. it annoyed me. But it was still a good reread.

Originally read October 2019

Isaac is out of Nevermore and trying to find himself again...where he fits in as he struggl
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Had Actually Expected More*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The fourth book in the series centers around Angel's brother, Isaac Salvatore (23) and Simon's Master, Constantine ‘Constans’ ‘Connie’ Batiste (2123?). While it was nice to see Isaac growing into the man he's meant to be, the book itself wasn't all that. To be frankly honest, I wasn't all that into the book. I thought I would really enjoy this one since S.J. Himes writes amazing stories and I seems to really like them all, but this one just didn't hit
Meags
4.5 Stars

There’s no denying this book was one of my top 5 most anticipated releases of the year, and thankfully, it lived up to all my expectations and more.

For the first time in this long-running series, we get to properly step away from the POV’s of the original main characters, necromancer Angelus Salvatore and his vampire-mate Simeon, and, instead, we get to delve into the daily lives and personal struggles of Angel’s younger brother, Isaac, and the deliciously alluring and powerful Constan
Sheri
Firestorm!
Wow, so I was beyond fired up for this 4th book in the BHS series, and while I enjoyed it...it didn't blaze quite as brightly as I had hoped.
I think I've narrowed down why...
The first 3 books were centered around Angel and Simeon.
I LOVED watching them grow stronger and fall deeper in love.
I knew this book shifted focus and was about Isaac and Constantine but I didn't expect to shuffle backward and begin building a new path.
There's a lot of backstory about Constans and again, while
Deborah
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 11th - 13th March 2021

Before I start my review I have to say I’m a huge fan of this author and this series. If you like hot sexy vampires, sorcerers, magic, little dragons and M/M reads and you haven’t read this you should be asking yourself why.
Am I bias?
Totally.
This series won me over after the first chapter of the first book. The Necromancer’s Dance. And I just can’t get enough.

I’ve waited patiently (okay not so patiently) for what seems forever for this book. And I tried to take my
Bev
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, magic, mates, mm
Not my favourite book by this author. Whilst I loved Isaac and Constans's story, the slow first half of the book was so slow I lost interest and never really gained it back again. ...more
Santy
I've been waiting since Book 2 for these two men to have their story and I am so glad I started the series when I did because the wait for this would've been torture!

I enjoyed this book and like the previous books in the series, it was chocked full of action , evil people being evil and lots of heart. i devoured it in one sitting.

While having lots of the same things that made the other books awesome, this book had quite a slow start and quite a few plot devices that were unaccounted for by the e
Micah
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
2.8 stars!! I do love this author’s work and she can write one hell of an action story. Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy his book as much as I thought I would.

My biggest complaint is how much this book relies on the character Angel, who was the lead of the 1st 3 books. At the beginning of this 1, the audience is asked to give Isaac a chance as the new main character. Which I was fine with, however, Angel is mentioned in every other paragraph. The plot line advances SOLEY because of Angel. The char
Gerbera_Reads
Isaac's story was a bit different from his brother Angel. It clearly showed just how unlike the brothers were but how much they loved each other no matter what happened between them. This was a tough journey of recovery, healing and trying to find oneself. There was mystery, suspense and, of course, romance. I have been waiting to find out just who Constantine Batiste, Boston Vampire Master, was and wasn't disappointed.

First part of the book deals with many of Isaac's issues past and present. W
Natalia
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Isaac is fresh out of his stay from Nevermore and trying to figure out who he is sober and how he fits into the world. While doing such a problem arises. There is a blood mage out in the City killing vampire fledglings and innocent people. The blood mage is also focused on Isaac, sending golem's to attack him. Isaac is just trying to keep his head straight but this new threat is doing a number on him. Luckily for him he has the Master of the City on his side, Constantine Batiste.

These two have
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

I have been waiting for this story for years after being charmed by the possibility of these two since the second book. I loved the first half, but the second half I struggled with because I think it started feeling a bit forced and flimsy.

Overall it was hard to put down because I was a fan of the characters and world-building already, and I'm glad the author made the book longer than previous books, but sadly this is no longer my favorite m/m paranormal series. I have a lot of issues with the
Rachel Emily
This series is just pure perfection when it comes to mm urban fantasy romance. Seriously. I love every little thing about this - all the characters, the storytelling, the history and world building, just everything.

ALL the stars to Sheena to creating this world with these characters I love so much, and want to read about forever.

CANNOT wait to get Daniel and Rory's story in 2020!!!
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

I feel like I was waiting forever for this book, and I was so excited when I saw it came out and rushed to get it.

I've been wanting Isaac and Constantine's love story (and Daniel and Rory's, which is coming next woot woot!) since around the third book or so, maybe the second, and we finally got it :D

This is only a short while after the events of book 3 and 3.5, with Isaac just getting out of Nevermore. He not only has to deal with being sober and staying away from alcohol, but pretty s
Eleeze
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

That was amazing and I couldn’t put it down! It was all I wanted for Isaac and my thirst to know more about Constantine was quenched (for now!) I can’t wait for Daniel’s book and to see the whole gang again.
As the author said at the beginning, this is Isaac’s story and he’s very, very different from Angel. We see his journey and the glorious beginning of his happy ending.-
I~❤️~Books
✮4.5 Stars✮ 💗
I can't wait for the next book!
BWT
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great series!

Dual POV, uban fantasy, with terrific world building, some heat, not a lot of angst, some hurt/comfort, action, and a happy ending. I love the series and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.
~nikki the recovering book addict
It gets better!

Wow! This series just gets better and better! I really am glad I came back to this series. And now I can’t wait! That little nugget at the end in the epilogue...I sorta suspected it! And now we’ll hopefully find out what happened!

This was a good instalment. It’s focused on Isaac and Constantine Batiste, the city master of vampires. I’m happy that we’ve shifted the focus off from Simeon and Angel, not that they’re no longer in the story, it’s just shifted over. I think the plot lin
Andrea M
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reread review- 4.6 stars? Enjoyed it more this time around. 🤗

Original review- 4 stars. Good and enjoyable, although, the flashbacks or parts of chapters that were from Constantine’s past kind of bored me (except for 1). Also, I do wish there had been more angst. 😕

Otherwise, I think I do like Constance and Isaac together.
Lori¸¸¸.•*❀Ɍɛɑɗs̱LɪƙɛIʈs̱H̱ɛɍJɔɓ  유❤유
I would give this book a 3.5 stars, I rounded up because I still really enjoy the author's writing.

This particular book wasn't bad just not as good as the others. IMO, it felt as if it were 80% of Isaac's internal struggle and monologue and the rest was about Constantine, Angel and the mystery.

While I have a great deal of sympathy for Isaac's struggles with addiction and trauma, I also would have liked a better balance in the book of Constantine's story and more of the mystery. With Angel's stor
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I have been waiting for this book forever. I so wanted to see Isaac separate from Angel and this did not disappoint. I loved getting the look into Constans life and what happened and the plot kept me running along on my long run very happily and cleaning my house too!
Bibliophile
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
Another great addition to the Beacon Hills Sorcerer series! The evolution of all the characters continues to take center stage and entertaining, moving, and heartwarming ways. :)
Theresa
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Background flashbacks for Constans felt draggy. They also felt out of place in the series since background was never presented for Simeon. Angel still monopolized the plot.
Tammy
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 🌟’s
Both characters were so opposite of each other I’m surprised the author S.J. Himes made it work but for me the narrator Joel Leslie helped them blend beautifully well together and the individual personalities complimenting each other.

Constantine was so refined and well spoken and respected by his clan where as Isaac Salvatore had a foul mouth at times with no filter, low self esteem and was a recovering alcoholic. He was very kind and considerate to the clan members which helped endear
Rosa
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, books
This was entertaining, along the lines of the other ones but still, it bothers me the characters are so perfect. The good guys are too good, and the bad ones too evil.
(view spoiler)
And, this need to be said, who in Hell name her daughter Ramona Ur
Claudia
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all I LOVE the Beacon Hill Sorcerer series and was so happy for Isaac to get his book! and I am happy with the result because both, Isaac and BAtiste (yes, even him) deserve their HEA
but it was not as good as Angels books (which I know is more than difficult)

I loved the story, loved the relationhsip development, loved the characters but would not have minded if they had more time to fall in love. this felt more like a fated mate thing and although I loved Isaac, I am not quite sure if h
Diane Dannenfeldt
Loved it so much! RTC
Brayden
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with any Novel by Sheena J Himes, the story is the main focus and her imagination and brilliance shines through thoroughly with Mastering the Flames. From the very first page until the last word written, every scene is captivating, very well thought out and left me feeling extremely satisfied.

This installment in the series takes place from the Point of View of Issac Salvatore, the resident Fire Sorcerer, and at some points from Constantine Batiste, unlike the first 3 books which take place fr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Jon's Boom Shaka Laka Problem (Jon’s Mysteries, #4)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound, #5)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • The Witch's Blood (The Ellwood Chronicles #3)
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Fluke and the Faithless Father (The Fantastic Fluke, #2)
  • Of Secrets and Wolves (Winsford Shifters #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Breath (Scales 'N' Spells #2)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • How to Hack a Hacker (Unholy Trifecta, #3)
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)
  • The Enchanter's Heart (The Ellwood Chronicles #4)
See top shelves…
I am currently working on BHS#5, a BHS spinoff series, and the second book of the Realms of Love series.

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website.

The Beacon Hill Sorcerer (5 books)
  • The Necromancer's Dance (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #1)
  • The Necromancer's Dilemma (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #2)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • Love Springs Eternal (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer #5)

News & Interviews