Start by marking “Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)

Mastering the Flames

(The Beacon Hill Sorcerer #4)

Guilt-ridden after the massacre of his family, Isaac Salvatore turned to binge drinking to escape the pain. Now twenty-four years old, Isaac is a recovering alcoholic woefully out of practice in the magical arts, leaving his fire affinity hanging on the edge of disaster. After a month of rehab, he returns to Beacon Hill and his family, determined to remain sober, learn to ...more
Published October 4th 2019 by SJ Himes

To ask other readers questions about Mastering the Flames, please sign up.
S.J. Himes No idea! I work on a book until it's done and I don't have deadlines or schedules anymore as I can never keep them. If you want up to date info on my …moreNo idea! I work on a book until it's done and I don't have deadlines or schedules anymore as I can never keep them. If you want up to date info on my progress for a title, please go to my website www.sjhimes.com or Follow me on Facebook. I am nearly done with it, but it still has revisions, edits, proofing, formatting, ARC distribution, all before it releases. (less)

Start your review of Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
S.J. Himes
Nov 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book is available starting Oct. 4th, 2019. Happy reading.
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

There’s not much to say except that this belongs in the top MM urban fantasy series that I’ve had the pleasure of reading.

Himes as always, brings great world building, continuing an awesome AU featuring mundane humans, practitioners, and all sorts of creatures who live together harmoniously, or not.

This time around, Angel’s brother Isaac, is the main attraction and he’s just gotten out of rehab for alcoholism, relearning his new life, a life where he’s actually sober and present. It’s a
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Had Actually Expected More*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The fourth book in the series centers around Angel's brother, Isaac Salvatore (23) and Simon's Master, Constantine ‘Constans’ ‘Connie’ Batiste (2123?). While it was nice to see Isaac growing into the man he's meant to be, the book itself wasn't all that. To be frankly honest, I wasn't all that into the book. I thought I would really enjoy this one since S.J. Himes writes amazing stories and I seems to really like them all, but this one just didn't hit
Barbara➰
Isaac is out of Nevermore and trying to find himself again...where he fits in as he struggles with his recovery and guilt. But there is a blood mage on the loose and he has set his sights on Isaac. He wants to help but he is going to need Constans' presence to get through it.

I have been waiting for Isaac's book for a long time. I really felt for him and his feelings of guilt after the Massacre. And oh boy, I wanted Constans to get a story. Who doesn't love a hot, cocky vampire who just takes wha
Sheri
Firestorm!
Wow, so I was beyond fired up for this 4th book in the BHS series, and while I enjoyed it...it didn't blaze quite as brightly as I had hoped.
I think I've narrowed down why...
The first 3 books were centered around Angel and Simeon.
I LOVED watching them grow stronger and fall deeper in love.
I knew this book shifted focus and was about Isaac and Constantine but I didn't expect to shuffle backward and begin building a new path.
There's a lot of backstory about Constans and again, while
Meags
4.5 Stars

There’s no denying this book was one of my top 5 most anticipated releases of the year, and thankfully, it lived up to all my expectations and more.

For the first time in this long-running series, we get to properly step away from the POV’s of the original main characters, necromancer Angelus Salvatore and his vampire-mate Simeon, and, instead, we get to delve into the daily lives and personal struggles of Angel’s younger brother, Isaac, and the deliciously alluring and powerful Constan
Deborah
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I start my review I have to say I’m a huge fan of this author and this series. If you like hot sexy vampires, sorcerers, magic, little dragons and M/M reads and you haven’t read this you should be asking yourself why.
Am I bias?
Totally.
This series won me over after the first chapter of the first book. The Necromancer’s Dance. And I just can’t get enough.

I’ve waited patiently (okay not so patiently) for what seems forever for this book. And I tried to take my time I really did but before I
Bev
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mm, mates, magic
Not my favourite book by this author. Whilst I loved Isaac and Constans's story, the slow first half of the book was so slow I lost interest and never really gained it back again.
Santy
I've been waiting since Book 2 for this two men to have their story and I am so glad I started the series when I did because the wait for this would've been torture!

I enjoyed this book and like the previous books in the series, it was chocked full of action , evil people being evil and lots of heart. i devour it in one sitting.

While having lots of the same things that made the other book awesome, this book had quite a slow start and quite a few plot devices that were unaccounted for by the end.
~Volha~
Isaac's story was a bit different from his brother Angel. It clearly showed just how unlike the brothers were but how much they loved each other no matter what happened between them. This was a tough journey of recovery, healing and trying to find oneself. There was mystery, suspense and, of course, romance. I have been waiting to find out just who Constantine Batiste, Boston Vampire Master, was and wasn't disappointed.

First part of the book deals with many of Isaac's issues past and present. W
Natalia
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Micah
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
2.8 stars!! I do love this author’s work and she can write one hell of an action story. Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy his book as much as I thought I would.

My biggest complaint is how much this book relies on the character Angel, who was the lead of the 1st 3 books. At the beginning of this 1, the audience is asked to give Isaac a chance as the new main character. Which I was fine with, however, Angel is mentioned in every other paragraph. The plot line advances SOLEY because of Angel. The char
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Isaac is fresh out of his stay from Nevermore and trying to figure out who he is sober and how he fits into the world. While doing such a problem arises. There is a blood mage out in the City killing vampire fledglings and innocent people. The blood mage is also focused on Isaac, sending golem's to attack him. Isaac is just trying to keep his head straight but this new threat is doing a number on him. Luckily for him he has the Master of the City on his side, Constantine Batiste.

These two have
Rachel Emily
This series is just pure perfection when it comes to mm urban fantasy romance. Seriously. I love every little thing about this - all the characters, the storytelling, the history and world building, just everything.

ALL the stars to Sheena to creating this world with these characters I love so much, and want to read about forever.

CANNOT wait to get Daniel and Rory's story in 2020!!!
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

I feel like I was waiting forever for this book, and I was so excited when I saw it came out and rushed to get it.

I've been wanting Isaac and Constantine's love story (and Daniel and Rory's, which is coming next woot woot!) since around the third book or so, maybe the second, and we finally got it :D

This is only a short while after the events of book 3 and 3.5, with Isaac just getting out of Nevermore. He not only has to deal with being sober and staying away from alcohol, but pretty s
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

I have been waiting for this story for years after being charmed by the possibility of these two since the second book. I loved the first half, but the second half I struggled with because I think it started feeling a bit forced and flimsy.

Overall it was hard to put down because I was a fan of the characters and world-building already, and I'm glad the author made the book longer than previous books, but sadly this is no longer my favorite m/m paranormal series. I have a lot of issues with the
Eleeze
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

That was amazing and I couldn’t put it down! It was all I wanted for Isaac and my thirst to know more about Constantine was quenched (for now!) I can’t wait for Daniel’s book and to see the whole gang again.
As the author said at the beginning, this is Isaac’s story and he’s very, very different from Angel. We see his journey and the glorious beginning of his happy ending.-
I~❤️~Books
✮4.5 Stars✮ 💗
I can't wait for the next book!
BWT (Belen)
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great series!

Dual POV, uban fantasy, with terrific world building, some heat, not a lot of angst, some hurt/comfort, action, and a happy ending. I love the series and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.
~nikki the recovering book addict
It gets better!

Wow! This series just gets better and better! I really am glad I came back to this series. And now I can’t wait! That little nugget at the end in the epilogue...I sorta suspected it! And now we’ll hopefully find out what happened!

This was a good instalment. It’s focused on Isaac and Constantine Batiste, the city master of vampires. I’m happy that we’ve shifted the focus off from Simeon and Angel, not that they’re no longer in the story, it’s just shifted over. I think the plot lin
Bibliophile
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
Another great addition to the Beacon Hills Sorcerer series! The evolution of all the characters continues to take center stage and entertaining, moving, and heartwarming ways. :)
Rosa
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, books
This was entertaining, along the lines of the other ones but still, it bothers me the characters are so perfect. The good guys are too good, and the bad ones too evil.
(view spoiler)
And, this need to be said, who in Hell name her daughter Ramona Ur
Theresa
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Background flashbacks for Constans felt draggy. They also felt out of place in the series since background was never presented for Simeon. Angel still monopolized the plot.
Brayden
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with any Novel by Sheena J Himes, the story is the main focus and her imagination and brilliance shines through thoroughly with Mastering the Flames. From the very first page until the last word written, every scene is captivating, very well thought out and left me feeling extremely satisfied.

This installment in the series takes place from the Point of View of Issac Salvatore, the resident Fire Sorcerer, and at some points from Constantine Batiste, unlike the first 3 books which take place fr
Arshad Ahsanuddin
I read this book because I was a fan of the series, but not necessarily this main character. I thought the book flowed rather slowly at first, but then I began to see that the author had managed, wonder of wonders, to actually change voices entirely when speaking through this younger character. Angel Salvatore is a combat magician. The first books in the series all revolved around the flash and bang of his power in violent opposition to that of his enemies. Isaac Salvatore has the training, but ...more
Miriah
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claudia
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all I LOVE the Beacon Hill Sorcerer series and was so happy for Isaac to get his book! and I am happy with the result because both, Isaac and BAtiste (yes, even him) deserve their HEA
but it was not as good as Angels books (which I know is more than difficult)

I loved the story, loved the relationhsip development, loved the characters but would not have minded if they had more time to fall in love. this felt more like a fated mate thing and although I loved Isaac, I am not quite sure if h
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
A fine addition to the series.

Is it odd I found suspending my disbelief difficult for this?

Yes, vampires, sorcerers, magic.. but a 2100 year old vampire falling in love with a 24 year loss old kid was difficult to wrap my imagination around.

But in the end it worked.

Still needs to hire a good editor.
Andrea M
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good and enjoyable, although, the flashbacks or parts of chapters that were from Constantine’s past kind of bored me (except for 1). Also, I do wish there had been more angst. 😕

Otherwise, I think I do like Constance and Isaac together.
Becca
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These stories you all are whipping out are leaving me in amazement. This has quickly become one of my favorite series and knowing who the next book is about, leaves me filled with great joy. But this one made me happy, too. Sad as well as to what all had happened and what transpired to get to the point it did, but it’s an amazing story of love, hope and redemption. Mixed in, of course, with psychos trying to be greedy with power and murdering people. But I was happy this is Isaac’s story.
Isaac
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • The Witch's Blood (The Ellwood Chronicles #3)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #1)
  • Stalked by Shadows (A Simply Crafty Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • The Enchanter's Heart (The Ellwood Chronicles #4)
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
I am currently working on BHS#5, a BHS spinoff series, and the second book of the Realms of Love series.

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website.

The Beacon Hill Sorcerer (4 books)
  • The Necromancer's Dance (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #1)
  • The Necromancer's Dilemma (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #2)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)

News & Interviews