Start by marking “You're Crushing It: Positivity for living your REAL life” as Want to Read:
You're Crushing It: Positivity for living your REAL life

You're Crushing It: Positivity for living your REAL life

Sometimes life can be pretty amazing. But other times it feels like:

A. Your heart and stomach have been steamrolled into a grisly organ pancake
B. You are being put through an emotional spiralizer that creates human courgetti
C. Both of the above. You're a courgetti pancake

No, Instagram filters won't make it look any better. And, yes, we all feel this way.

An honest, thoughtf
Published June 13th 2019 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about You're Crushing It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Crushing It

Start your review of You're Crushing It: Positivity for living your REAL life
Lex
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Am I allowed to rate & review this? Is this cheating? Am I going to get arrested? ...more
Alice (Married To Books)
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Won a copy of You're Crushing It as part of a prize pack from Bloomsbury UK!

Lex has a YouTube channel which up until reading her book, I had never watched. However, I loved You're Crushing It. It is designed for teen audiences but as a 21-year-old, I did find myself totally engrossed by her life advice on social media, falling in love and friendships. I talk about my reading experiences more on my Instagram at www.Instagram.com/alicetiedthebookish...!
Erika
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve watched Lex on youtube for years and was lucky enough to have a proof copy of You’re Crushing It fall into my hands. The advice on being kind to yourself, living ethically and dealing with the setbacks that come from the flesh prison (sorry, gross) we all have to walk around in are delivered with genuine warmth and a practicality that emphasises how little changes can make all the difference. It’s a book I can see teenage girls picking up and, as we all know, teenage girls can change the wo ...more
Charlotte ✰
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! I didn't realise the author was a youtuber until half way through so now I'm defintely going to watch her videos!

The advice in this book was great and the title is a perfect description - 'Positivity for living your real life'. The layout was unique and made it really entertaining + easy to read. The full page quotes every now and then were great for segmenting the different parts of the book within each chapter. It made it all flow nicely with reasonable breaks. My favou
Elisa
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At first I wanted to give this book 4 stars, but I think that, within its genre, it's one of the most uplifting books I've read so far. Lex Croucher gives really positive and humorous advice which seems attainable, unlike some self-help books which seem to set the bar too high. Lex describes very recognisable situations in a light and funny way and no, it wasn't life changing, but it has given me exactly what the cover describes: positivity for living your real life!
Wouter
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been following Lex on Youtube for about 6 years now so when I heard she wrote a book I knew I had to read it because I ADORE her. I'm not really into self-help books and I didn't learn anything new per se, but this book was very enjoyable, and Lex is a great writer - her sense of humor that I know from her YouTube videos generally translates really well to her writing.
loenaah
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I LOVE THIS BOOK.
A light and funny read written by a twenty-something American women who gives you all sorts of advice on various topics such as bodypositivity, dating.

Just go buy it, you won’t regret it.
Alyce Hunt
I probably would have enjoyed You're Crushing It more if I hadn't been reading it as an eBook, as I've seen some pictures of quotes online and the constant repetition seems quite effective when it's stylised. However, as an eBook I just found myself getting annoyed: every page had a huge bold quote that was then repeated halfway through the paragraph, and most of them were that faux-inspirational bullshit that graces 90% of motivational Instagram pages.

This isn't a bad book - Lex Croucher is tr
Rebecca
Originally posted to www.rebeccasravereviews.wordpress.com

I was sent a copy of You're Crushing It in exchange for an honest review, so thanks to Bloomsbury publishers.

I don't mean this in a negative way but there is nothing mind blowing in this book - it's a run down of all of life's hassles, from body image, social media, friendships, dating, all that good stuff, with some mental health tips, funny anecdotes, and lots of reassurance that it's okay. You'll be okay. But it's Lex's charm that mak
Jaselle Van Gestel-Bush
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I really loved this book! While it is probably aimed at someone a big younger than me (I’m 27), I still really enjoyed reading it. Sometimes it’s just nice to read 271 pages of things you agree with.

I really think people who are still finding themselves or are growing into themselves will get great value out of the way Lex talks about life!
Rebecca Farren
Read this review on my blog here: https://rebeccafarren.com/review-your...

An uncorrected proof copy was gifted to me by Bloomsbury.

When Lex announced she was writing a YA, positivity, life advice book I was, well, a little surprised. She has a dark sense of humour which often matches the tone of her YouTube videos so I really wouldn’t have expected her to write this type of book. Reflecting on it more though, I was so intrigued to read what she has to say, and I suspected that it would actually
Victoria Robinson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to “youtuber” books I’ve never really been that into them… wait no that is a bit of a lie, I have bought into them before, I own a few “youtuber” books but I have never really sat down and read them, I just bought them because every other person who was interested in the beauty side of youtube bought them and I just had to follow the crowd.

But this, when Lex announced that she was releasing a book I knew that this would be one of the books I would want to get my hands on- so I was
idreamofallthebooks
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book could not have come at a better time. After having a little bit of a rough week (and certain individuals making some quite unrealistic demands), Lex Croucher’s words of wisdom (and wit!) were a much needed reprieve from some of the negative and exhausting thoughts taking up residence in my mind.

By the book’s design (and Croucher’s own admissions), it is a series of thoughts and positive self talk that can help all those who read it to be a little more kinder and a little more real towa
Zogguz
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I got a lot of cool quotes from this book which I've put on post it notes to make me feel better. While there are a couple of chapters that really resonated with me, I feel that this book was not written for my demographic. Lex tries to be as inclusive as possible here but I think it's ultimately written for teen girls rather than 20-something year old men (oops). I usually enjoy Lex's sarcastic humour on YouTube, but felt it a bit strange translated over to written text and came across a little ...more
Abi Moss
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Throughout this book Lex keeps you entertained but also helps you out through her genuine advice. I love how at some point on every other page you’re given the genuine opportunity to giggle and relate to something.

From general day to day life, to work, relationships, friends, food, and being kind to our planet, Lex has written a fantastic book that keeps that smile on your face & know exactly how to feel empowered.

Her words are powerful and helpful, and I couldn’t recommend this enough for anyon
Amy Jones
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! It's so good to read a book that's about realising how bloody great your life actually is as it is, not telling you that you'll only be happy and reaching your full potential if you are basically perfect. Lex talks about things like dating, social media, family and friends, body confidence and mental health with heart and wisdom - and a LOT of jokes. It's also really beautifully designed - not just the cover, but the way text has been formatted inside makes it a really lovel ...more
Kezia Newson
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book feels like a pat on the head and an understanding ‘you’re bonkers, but I am too’ nod from a best friend when you’re going through the smallest or largest things in the wild ride that is growing up. It's laugh out loud funny, but what shouldn't be underrated is how much comfort I think it will bring. The honesty Lex shares by letting us into pockets of her life makes you feel trusted as a reader, and that you can have these kind of open conversations with your own friends, parents and p ...more
Katie Skinner
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Look at me actually readed a non fiction for non fic november (instead of just buying them!)

This was a funny, easy read of some pretty base level advice. It was clearly written for a 'younger' audience and because of this, the lack of reference to teenage hood and general fouces on more adult topics (like committed relationships) felt weird and a bit boring. It general the book was very tame. I also desperately wanted more actual anecdotes, the witty one liners got old pretty quick.

I've followe
tharcblack
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so incredibly accurate when talking about friendship anxiety, or any type of modern day anxiety; it often made my day to read how not alone I am and how everybody else feels the same way I do at some point.

The one thing I thought didn't add anything was the little quotes along the text (very similar to the ones found in magazine or newpaper articles) mirroring bits of the text. But I just skipped them altogether and it didn't affect my reading at all.
Lilly | mothcub
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was fun and cute, although it felt a little bland and maybe just something that is more relevant and entertaining for a younger demographic. That said it was entertaining and quite sweet. I imagine I would have preferred a more comedy-focused book from Lex because that's really the draw for me, but her voice came through in this book really nicely, it just isn't quite my type of book tbh. Lex Croucher book of cat limericks when???
Pushon Bhattacharya
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
A dull and cookie-cutter entry in the self-help genre. While none of the advice is harmful, it's nothing life-changing and blends in with million other books in this category. There is also way too much emphasis on humour which becomes irksome fast. This book does have plenty of funny moments, so it certainly isn't bad comedy. However, this is a self-help book, so taking a more serious tone is a must. Skip this and get Feel Good 101 by Emma Blackery instead.
Natalie
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Although I enjoyed parts of this book and it had some great quotes and funny moments, I didn't bother to finish reading it, I think the author is great and what is written is all great advice, it's just that a lot of it felt like common sense/knowledge to me and things which I already know so personally, I didn't find it useful to continue on with it. Personally, I think this book is a great one for younger people (Teens) who may actually benefit from it more.
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, honest, brilliant. There are no books out there for young people purely about positivity so I hope school librarians everywhere stock this when it's out. There was so much in there that I related to and some thing I definitely needed to hear.
Jess
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could keep Lex in my pocket and carry her around all day to offer lovely advice whenever I’m in need but I cannot, so I will have to settle for this incredible book that is equal parts inspiring, hilarious and realistic.
Rhys
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Top quality advice for practically every area of life you could stress about, jam packed with genuinely funny jokes and analogies keeping it safely on the right side of sacharine self-help. An honestly very helpful read for anyone at any age.
Sara
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really fun, relatable self-help book that doesn't profess to be an expert on the issues it covers, but still manages to make you feel like you can face whatever life throws at you. Lex is also a really funny and skilled author, and I can't wait to read more of her future works! 😊
Annelie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks Lex, for making me laugh while discovering that my life isn’t as imperfect as I sometimes tell myself. This gave me hope, a wide grin on my face and the will to go on and live my life in a fabulous way!
Kasey
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. So similar to my own humour, so I could relate very much to the author. I too, believe in the power of positivity. Very good topics and perspectives to give us all a good think. This book really brought me a good laugh and a good read. Thankyou Lex.
Kristin
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank Bloomsbury and UCLAN NYALF for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Relevant and helpful.
Sarah Bramble
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great self motivational read Lex is a brilliant author!

• The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods
  • Past the Shallows
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Breathless
  • Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)
  • The Gloaming
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • What I Like About Me
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)

News & Interviews

“You might feel weird telling Bob you eat lunch with at work that you love and appreciate him, but maybe you could give him half your sandwich and a handful of grapes. Platonic, reciprocal love grapes.” 0 likes
“I refuse to denounce social media as a terrible evil that is plaguing young people today. Maybe because I sort of grew up on it and I think the Internet has enriched my life--I've made friends on social media, I've laughed until I've cried at a perfectly constructed tweet and I've learned more about gender, race, sexuality, class, and politics online than I have anywhere else.” 0 likes