Start by marking “Last Night (The Searchers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Night (The Searchers, #2)

Last Night

(The Searchers #2)

NYPD detective Lex Cole tracks a missing Brooklyn teen whose bright future is endangered by the ghosts of his unknown father's past, in this highly anticipated sequel to A Map of the Dark.

One of the few black kids on his Brighton Beach block, Titus "Crisp" Crespo was raised by his white mother and his Russian grandparents. He has two legacies from his absent father, Mo: hi
Published February 26th 2019 by Mulholland Books

To ask other readers questions about Last Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Night

marilyn
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The Last Night by Karen Ellis is the second book in a series called The Searchers. Right now there are just two books and I plan to read the next one when/if it comes out. Before talking about The Last Night, I want to say that the first book in the series, A Map of the Dark, had me eager to read this second book. The main character in the first book was FBI agent Elsa Myers, a very flawed, emotionally damaged character, that I really liked and wanted to know more about. I was hoping this second ...more
Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends
Last Night is the second book to The Searchers series by Karen Ellis. I read the first one A Map of the Dark a while back and I loved our main character FBI Special Agent Elsa Myers. I was really looking forward to catching up with her and the dynamics between her and the other characters from her story. Well, I didn’t read the summary to Last Night and I assumed this one was going to focus on Elsa and I was really disappointed it wasn’t. Going in blind is something I don’t normally do and now I ...more
Selena
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of Last Night which is the second installment in the Searcher series by Karen Ellis from NetGalley for my honest review. This book can be read as a stand-alone.

This book is a story of two teenagers, Crisp and Glynnie. Crisp is a good kid, he does well in school and is heading to Princeton in the fall. One day, while on his way home, he is racially targeted by a police officer and he ends up in jail for the night.

Then all the trouble begins with a lot of bad decisions. T
Monica
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Such a great story!! Unlike the first book, this one focuses on Lex, a detective with a good heart, but his share of problems. The story alternates between Elsa and Lex looking for a couple teenagers and the teenagers trying to stay hidden. They stumbled into a shady situation that turned south in a hurry.

Last Night kept me guessing until the very end with this great host of characters. Although Elsa is more of a cameo than main character, her appearance ties the story together.

I highly recommen
Juli
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valedictorian of his high school class, Titus "Crisp" Crespo has a bright future. He's heading to Princeton in the fall and looks forward to college life. A series of bad decisions on one fateful day lead Crisp down a path he never expected to follow, where he will face a father he's never known and decisions he wanted to avoid ever facing. When Crisp's mother reports him missing, Detective Lex Cole has to unravel the events of Crisp's day to locate the youth, and his companion, Glynnie, after t ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of LAST NIGHT by Karen Ellis (alias for Katia Lief) in exchange for my honest review.***

DNF @ 47%

This writer and/or series is not for me.
Sherry Fundin
OH NO! The beginning has me super angry. This is the type of book I have been avoiding. Smacks too much of realism and I don’t need anymore than I happen to catch flipping channels on the TV or clicking on the internet.

Ugly business and I see it ruining Crisp’s life. Will it make him become a monster? We’ll see.

A portrait of a white privileged teen girl, a promising, intelligent mixed race boy and a black homeless boy and what results from their coming together.

Kind of a coming of age story …I t
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"Glynnie knows she isn't stupid or hopeless (despite the lengthy narrative commentary of nearly every single end semester report), but she also knows that she hasn't stumbled on the locus of her intelligence, not yet. But she will. She feels it. And look: Crisp Crespo, academic wonder, is hanging out with her on what was supposed to be his graduation night."...…..

We are back in Book 2 of “The Searchers” series. The first was a good book that I really enjoyed. This one was just as well written. D
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
Karen Ellis puts so much feeling into her writing and gives her characters so much depth that the reader gets attached to them, she gives them flaws that make the characters very human and relatable, even if they are doing crazy things and making all the wrong decisions -

Since this was book 2, I was disappointed that Elsa, the protagonist from the first book (A Map of the Dark, was not a main character, but by the end of this book, I cared about Crisp and Lex almost as much.
This is another sto
Kathy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Last Night by Karen Ellis is a fast-paced and engrossing mystery.  Although this newest addition is the second installment in The Searchers series, it can be read as a standalone.

Titus "Crisp" Crespo is the valedictorian of his graduating class and he has been accepted into Princeton. However, his bright future is suddenly in jeopardy after a racist cop targets the mixed race young man.  After a night in jail, Crisp makes an ill-advised decision to go with casual acquaintance Glynnie D
Avid Reader
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Last Night (The Searchers #2) by Karen Ellis
3 stars
M/F Thriller
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

This is the second book in this series. It follows Lex, the detective from book one. I was disappointed that this book didn't continue with the characters from the first book.

Crispo and Glynnie are a couple of teenagers who start out with one bad choice that leads to more bad choices and an eventuality that could risk their lives.

It's more of a mystery of the who are you re
Randi Robinson
This is the story of two young people in New York, widely divided by race and privilege. Crisp is a smart boy, biracial but black to the world, valedictorian of his class. Glynnie is a smart aleck rich girl, who just managed to graduate and delights in giving her parents grief. She sees Crisp playing basketball in the cage on top of the jail when he was arrested basically for being black. Not wanting her to think badly of him, Crisp stops by her house when he gets out to explain why he was arres ...more
Joyce
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teen aged girl is sunbathing topless and smoking dope on the deck on the roof of her parents’ Brooklyn home. She notices a boy she knows playing with a basketball on the roof of the Brooklyn House of Detention and begins a conversation with him. The next day, after his release on bond for a negligible offense (basically being half black in a wealthy neighborhood) they get together and “hang out”. This, of course, involves more dope and a stop to visit her 12 year old dealer. Ultimately this le ...more
Kerry Clair
I didn’t really care for this book. Found the storyline overly dramatic and unrealistic in a great many ways. It dragged in a lot of parts too, using pages and pages for what should have been a paragraph or two at most. I also found the characters were almost ALL unlikeable. Just not a good read for me.
Doreen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
2/25/19 Full review tomorrow.

2/26/19 This starts out as a stunningly impressive display of teenage emotion, bringing together three kids -- Crisp, the biracial overachiever; Glynnie, the privileged white wild child, and JJ, the street kid doing whatever it takes to survive -- on a night of reckless camaraderie that turns into a really bad time when adult criminals get involved. The cops looking, at first separately, into the disappearances of Crisp and Glynnie, have their own compelling stories,
Kaye
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a satisfying read. The writing was so strong, the characters so fully-fleshed, the insights so penetrating that I would have read on for pleasure without the hook of suspense -- or rather, of dread -- over the fates of three young people in danger in New York City.

This is the first book I've read of Karen Ellis's; I missed A Map of the Dark, the first in this series. I plan to remedy that soon, since I've already reserved the e-book from my library. The point is, my pleasure in thi
Jessi
I really liked how the story started with focus on Glynnie and Crisp. Their relationship buds in an unusual way and it was interesting reading about them side by side in the same chapters. I appreciated how the chapters showcased both points of view without clunky headers or devoting an entirely new chapter just to change point of view. It was interesting seeing their side of the story first, as opposed to following the detective first.

I wanted to get to know Lex a bit more. He seemed to have an
Renee
Last Night is the second installment in the Searcher series. Book one, A Map of the Dark, kept me engrossed and I enjoyed the author's writing style. This one could be read as a stand-alone, as the main character in the first book, FBI agent Elsa Myers has a much smaller role, and detective Lex Cole is in charge of this case.

The story revolves around two teenagers, Crisp and Glynnie. Glynnie is white, wealthy, and has all the opportunity in the world, which she chooses to ignore. Crisp is poor,
Liz
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book really blew me away and I know I will revisit its themes again and again in my mind.

Like book one in The Searchers series (please let there be more!), A Map of the Dark, Last Night is an entertaining detective story whose characters have complex inner lives. Told over the course of 5 days, Last Night moves to the next level, deeply exploring inner lives, especially those of the teenage protagonists, Crisp and Glynnie. This is one of my favorite kinds of stories, where disparate lives c
Karen Parisot
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s that time of year when high school seniors are graduating and thinking about their futures. Glynnie Dreyfus, aged eighteen and a poor student, graduated the week before and is relieved to have it over with. Titus Crespo aka Crisp is the valedictorian at his school with a spot at Princeton waiting for him. An unfortunate run in with a despicable cop sets in motion a series of reckless decisions that will have serious consequences for the two of them.
As the second novel in a series, this book
Joyce
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars

I was somewhat disapointed in this book. I felt it was not as good as s. Ellis' previous novel.

It is about a young man, getting ready to graduate, in fact he is the valedctorian of his class. He is half black and half white being raised by his white mom and his two Russian grandparents. He lives in the Brighton Beach neighborhood, unlike other kids of his background.

Goes with a friend to make a weed buy one night. Harmless enough, right? Not when you're black.

This story contrasts the r
Tish
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Titus Crespo, who is nicknamed Crisp, is a mixed-race high school senior, valedictorian of his class and headed to Princeton. He is unfairly ticketed by a jerk of a policeman and Crisp reacts immaturely, compounding his problems. Upset about possibly having derailed his future, he makes a few more bad decisions and just keeps getting in deeper and deeper trouble. The story started off kind of slow for me but then picked up as the tension and danger built. I liked how the author really developed ...more
Jessica Woods
Last Night begins about as slow as a molasses drip. I really enjoyed Elsa's character in the first book of this series and Lex as more of a supporting role. In this book Lex takes on the lead and I found the flaws in his character not as easy to empathize with as Elsa's was. His jealousy almost had me closing the book before I was a quarter way through. The suspense builds real slow in the beginning, it was almost halfway in before I finally was snagged on the hook enough to care about what was ...more
Kelly
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crisp has always been a good kid. He does well in school and is Princeton bound in the fall. One day on his way home, he is racially targeted by a cop and ends up spending the night in jail. A series of bad decisions the next day leaves Crisp and 2 other kids missing, a local gun dealer in the projects dead, and 2 other men from the projects on the hunt for the kids. This book brings back Detective Lex Cole from "A Map in the Dark" as he races to find the kids before it's too late.

I enjoyed this
Lisa Stein
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ARC.

This was my first novel from Karen Ellis and I liked it! It was written in a way that kept my attention, I really liked the characters, and I wanted to see where they ended up, so I didn't want to stop reading.

You know, it's a thriller, of sorts, but not one of the latest trendy ones where there are 16 plot twists and you're basically just finishing it to be finished. This was a methodical police drama, and I liked it. I look forward to
Mulholland Books
"Karen Ellis is SO good at writing teenagers, and in Last Night, even more than Book 1 (A Map of the Dark), we are in the heads of kids as they impulsively leap into danger, draw away from vulnerability, and attempt to negotiate new relationships. This is writing that is nuanced and full of heart, like everything is when you're 19."
—Pamela Brown, Marketing Director
Aristotle
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure what to make of this book.
The writing was good but nothing happened.
No suspense. No mystery. No whodunit. No police procedural. No story.
Crisp's arrest was nonsense. The author didn't spend enough time explaining it.
Glynnie's teenage angst was nonsense. She wanted a gun to protect herself from bears? What?
Lex, your boyfriend hasn't texted you. I get it. Enough.
2 1/2 stars, rounded up because it was an easy read.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review
Linda Dossett
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second book in this excellent series, does not disappoint. This book touches on the inequality of lives and how a simple decision can change the course of the future. Everyone has their own burden and how we balance that burden effects our interactions with those around us. I hope there will be more books, just as I hope the troubled souls each find their own way, and ultimately, peace. Excellent read.
Kristina Shankles
I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel. The author brings to the forefront the issue of race and bigotry in a manner that allows the reader to reflect...what if...? I felt that we got to know more about detective Cole and gained insight into his character. I hope that this becomes a series continuing to follow Cole and Elsa.
Jenny Rittall
This is the second book in this series. I just recently read the first one and I did enjoy it more than this one only because it took me a little longer to become invested in the characters in Last Night. Once I found the groove though I was sucked in and ended up really enjoying it. I hope there will be more in this series. I love the author’s writing style and good suspenseful crime drama.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen Ellis is a pseudonym of author Katia Lief. She is a member of Mystery Writers of America, International Thriller Writers and The Authors Guild. She lives with her family in Brooklyn, NY.

The Searchers (2 books)
  • A Map of the Dark (The Searchers #1)