Start by marking “Cruel Works of Nature: 11 Illustrated Horror Novellas” as Want to Read:
Cruel Works of Nature: 11 Illustrated Horror Novellas

Cruel Works of Nature: 11 Illustrated Horror Novellas

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but supernatural curiosities brought it back.

A Jack-in-the-Box made from skulls.
A monster egg in the mail.
A sketchbook bridgingimagination with reality.
What other wondrous and terrible secrets will these survivors tell?

Cruel Works of Nature is a collection of 11 horror novellas about strange and exciting supernatural encounters. Reality
Published December 7th 2018 by Haunted House Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Cruel Works of Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel Works of Nature

Start your review of Cruel Works of Nature: 11 Illustrated Horror Novellas
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scream-mag
Title: Cruel Works of Nature
Author: Gemma Amor
Publisher: Haunted House Publishing
Review originally published in SCREAM mag

As a first step out of the gate, Gemma Amor brings a collection of eleven horror novellas titled CRUEL WORKS OF NATURE. I was immediately attracted to the gruesome cover and the potential for even more graphic imagery since the back of the book promised each story to have an illustrated cover page by the author.
Gemma delivers! Each unique novella had the perfect sketch to
Mindi
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where has this creepy little collection of gems been hiding? Wow, did this one deliver. I wasn't familiar with Amor until the Night Worms reading group got this book for our group reads. I'm always excited but a little apprehensive when I get a book from a brand new author. I'm telling you now you need this collection.

Cruel Works of Nature is a collection of 11 illustrated novellas that have a little bit of something for every fan of horror. Amor drew the illustrations herself, and each one
Emily
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I am the fucking apocalypse."

Cruel Works of Nature is Gemma Amor's debut collection of 11 short stories that each come with an illustration (drawn by the author). I read this book with the Nightworms review group, and I absolutely loved it! Gemma's stories are creepy, entertaining, and creative. The disturbing cover caught my attention, and it's probably going to be one of my favorite covers for this year.

There is a good variety of plots in this set of stories - some are about family, some are
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
That was a pretty excellent collection. I loved almost every story in it, and found that Gemma's got an incredible unique and twisted way of storytelling. I went in with high expectations after loving some of her writing on the NoSleep podcast, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

I gave 5 stars to almost every individual story (with the only exceptions belonging to a couple that were a little slow-paced compared to the rest), so it was hard to pick out my favorites. Here are a few that really stood
Alex (Hey Little Thrifter)

This was an enjoyable collection and I also liked the addition of the illustrations at the beginning of each story. The characters are well-written, the stories are varied and interesting , and there is a great mix of atmosphere, action, and creepiness.

My favourite stories were:
Jack in the Box, Black Sand, Scuttlebug, His Life's Work, and It Sees You When You're Sleeping.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
This collection sums up why I love reading short story collections: excellent writing and a wide range of creative storytelling that makes me want to seek out more from that author.

I can’t even choose favorite stories because there is something in each of these stories that I loved. Amor has a wide range of narrators, themes, and horrors to offer. Each of the stories do dip into the supernatural, but how each gets there is different and pleasurably horrifying in its own unique way.

There are
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collections
It's just so easy to like Amor's stories, guys. So easy.

I recently tried her novella, Dear Laura, and loved the hell out of it. It was a near-perfect work of horror for me, because it just hit all the right notes that I want to see in my horror lit. So if you've read that one and it left you with an itch for more, I guarantee Cruel Works of Nature is gonna scratch that itch, friends.

This short story collection features horror stories filled with gore, creatures, ghosts.. and at the same time
Robert Vanneste
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.0 - 3.5 . A entertaining read .
Lauren
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cruel Works of Nature, as the title suggests, there is a loose theme running throughout this short story collection about the, we'll call them oddities, that shouldn't exist in our natural world. Yet, these stories are so much more than that! These stories are sweet, hopeful. They are horror with heart. They show you that you can live through something so horrible, so bleak, so life-shattering but you can come out on the other side. People who don't usually read horror can't understand all the ...more
Beverley Lee
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This creepy little collection has been on my radar for ages, so when I received a copy I dived right in and I wasn't disappointed.

Cruel Works of Nature is a collection of eleven illustrated horror novellas. And there's such a variety of themes, ranging from relationships and family to a banquet of nasty, skin-crawling creatures. The author delivers a unique and fresh look at horror and each story is very different. We see how everyday life is darkened by these horrors and how the characters
C.J. Bow
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a hard time finding a collection of short stories from authors where each story is unique. Usually, I'll find tag-alongs to another story. Not an Easter egg, but more of a barnacle. A crutch to aid the author to the finish line.

The same goes with the voices of the narrator of each story. What I want are narrators that are definitive and contained - separate - from each story. Even the greatest authors fall victim to this, and usually we forgive them because we love the style. We love the
Tam
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy & Fantastic!

The review title says it all! There's a little something here to please everyone. Full of chills and thrills galore! You REALLY don't want to turn out the lights while reading this one!

Brittany (brittreads)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

This book was recommended to me to help me get out of a reading slump. Boy did it work. I read the second story first, and I immediately just had to keep going and read all the rest.

It was like Amor was in my head, taking some of my own personal fears and writing stories about them. I felt myself feeling uncomfortable and cringing a lot, which is 100% the best thing a horror book can do for you.

It’s beautifully written, I flew through the pages, and every.single.story was unique! I’ve not
Bruce Blanchard
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cruel Works of Nature is a treasure of a book being a collection of (count them!) 11 novellas brought together under one title. The title is the theme itself with each story within itself with boundaries that don't touch any of the others. Within these you will find mad scientists, insane people, dangerous creatures, people pushed to their limits, and just plain strange situations where humans though scathed have a chance to survive them somehow. No matter how weird or grotesque the situation ...more
V. Castro
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know you have read something brilliant when the story sticks with you, when you are reminded of their emotional or psychological pull at a random moment.
Cruel Works of Nature is a fantastic collection of stories that range from heartbreaking to haunting.
My favourites were Foliage (weird and imaaginative), The Path Through Lower Fell (unexpected- which I love), Girl on Fire (fuck yes!) and It Sees You When Your Sleeping (gruesome and twisted). Although, they are all great!
I absolutely
Kitty Marie
Content Warnings – Violence, death, some gore, killer spider apocalypse in one particularly story. If you have arachnophobia, very much beware.

When perusing the Kindle Unlimited selection for the first time during a 3-month trial I tried a couple of months ago, my first impression was that there are so many books to choose from- including many little known indie titles. Who knows what’s worth checking out and what isn’t? I could just sense that, as is the case with traditionally published books,
Morgan K Tanner
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like horror, I like gore, I like monsters, I like tragedy. Taking all these into account I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy this collection, I’d certainly heard great things about it.

I have to say, I wasn’t disappointed. This collection of 11 stories incorporated all that I love in the genre of horror. Bite-sized, nasty bastards of fiction that bleed from the pages with pungent chunks of slimy innards. Mmmmmmm.

The title, Cruel Works of Nature, summed the themes of these stories up well.
Ashley (bookishmommy)
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delightful and creepy collection of stories. I love that each story had a picture to go with it. Perfect touch.
Sonora Taylor
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great horror collection. The horrors range from creatures to plants to mysterious objects, and all managed to get at least a small chill to course up my spine. My favorite story was “The Path Through Lower Fell.” I also enjoyed “Special Delivery” and “Sketchbook.” Definitely one to read if you enjoy horror stories.
Anonyma'am
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

Two things you need to know: First, I really like short stories and flash fiction. Now I read them before going to sleep, so stories that require too much effort in thought tend to get paged through. These stories did not get paged through. Second, I like horror stories. However, I rarely get chilled, much less frightened, by horror stories. Governments scare me. The casual cruelty and lack of sympathy and
Ronald Keeler
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Cruel Works of Nature by Amor Gemma is billed as a collection of 11 illustrated horror novellas. This is from Haunted House Publishing, an enterprise associated with Tobias Wade. His recommendations have always assured me a good read in the horror genre. The illustrations show up in Kindle as a series of attractive drawings that precede each chapter. This is a concern for me because Kindle books with illustrations are not always compatible with all devices. This collection worked, and the ...more
Suzy Michael
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Cruel Works of Nature is a collection of eleven short stories, compiled to delight and terrify you. This is good old fashioned,fun horror at it's finest! Gemma Amor is a fantastic storyteller, and shows off her abilities in this tightly wrapped package of creative, suspenseful, and horrifying tales. If you are not into the strange or the macabre, turn back while you still can!

This collection of eleven stories take the creepy, weird, skin crawling, and supernatural and combines them to deliver a
Heather
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gemma Amor’s Cruel Works of Nature: 11 Illustrated Horror Novellas contains some delightful tales. I couldn’t put the book down until I had finished them all!

In Foliage, Dan takes a job doing handyman jobs at the old Norfolk Manor. Fay Lockwood has decided to make the place her home, years after her grandparents disappeared from the house when she was 11 years old. When he tries to cut away the massive vines that have taken over the backyard, however, he makes a disturbing discovery.

In Jack in
Lord Book
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anybook that begins with dead wife in the car gets my attention immediately. This collection of short stories has me hooked right from the first page. Grom dead wives to dead babies the pace is fast and the change of scene unpredictable. No common link between each story except the excellent way they are told - always first person.
This writer has an unusual and original slant on things and after reading i will never look at seagulls, spiders, cows and yes even sand in the same way again.
Of
Aiden Merchant
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of new authors this year, and I think Gemma Amor may be my favorite of the bunch. Her collection, Cruel Works of Nature, is currently in my top 5 of this year. This collection is amazing, so much so that when I go to name my favorite stories, I end up basically listing the entire book. Hell, "It Sees You When You're Sleeping" had me panting in suspense last night as I feverishly read it.

Cruel Works of Nature is just about as perfect a collection as you can find. It's well
Amy Arndt
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, supernatural
This was a nice, creepy collection of novellas. I found a few typos, but nothing to pull me out of the stories. The illustrations were great, and reminded me of the drawings in the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books I used to read as a kid. Some of the stories has an underlying theme of going to extremes to help loved ones, and that added a realness to the horrific scenarios the characters were in. My least favorite story was "His Life's Work"; it was cliched and a little boring, not nearly ...more
Joshua Hair
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As my first foray into Miss Amor's work (but undoubtedly not my last), Cruel Works of Nature proved to me early on the incredible talent I came to expect throughout the rest of the collection. Every story was excellently written, eloquent in prose and tightly packed in suspense. I read through it in a single sitting, all three hundred and some pages. Of the eleven stories, my favorites were hands-down Girl on Fire and It Sees You When You're Sleeping. I'll say this: although I received a free ...more
Oralee
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of horror stories. Gemma Amor knows how to grab a reader and tell a story. These short stories start out with realistic characters and story and then hit you with the supernatural and terror. From man eating plants to killer insects each of these well written stories will send shivers down your spine. Gemma has managed to take a short story and make it a complete tale, many short stories can leave a reader feeling like there should be more but each story in this book is a ...more
Michelle
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book contains 11 short horror novellas, longer than the normal shorts you get in other books of mixed authors, definitely not your quick one or two pagers. I had already been pulled into this book after only reading the first story. There’s a great variety, and most if not all have some good shock effect and originality to them. I don’t think there was one story I just didn’t like, and editing and just general writing were better than some books I’ve read of late. I’ll never look at spiders ...more
Jester Of Tortuga
First and foremost it is a damn entertaining read full of vivid imagery even with the the odd illustrations backing it up. I could sit here all day and talk about how wonderfully written it is, how each story feels incredibly complete in regards to the characters involved leaving me incredibly content yet yearning for more or how hearing anything scuttle around you will never be the same again. But the biggest compliment I can give is how the author crafted a story that not only creeped me out ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tavistock Galleria: Short Horror Stories From America’s Retail Wasteland
  • To Be Devoured
  • Dark Little Wonders and Other Stories
  • Spicy Constellation & Other Recipes
  • Carnival Of Strange Things (Creepiest Show On Earth Book 3)
I'm a horror fiction author, podcaster, artist and voice actor from Bristol, in the U.K.

I write for the wildly popular NoSleep Podcast and various other horror fiction audio dramas. I'm also writing, producing and acting in two shows, 'Calling Darkness', and 'Whisper Ridge', out in 2019. My first anthology of short stories, 'Cruel Works of Nature', was released in 2018, and my next book is the