Start by marking “Heads or Tails” as Want to Read:
Heads or Tails

Heads or Tails

“Take my baby.”

Hillary can’t believe the words her best friend Margot just uttered. Deeply committed to her devoutly childless marriage, Hillary doesn’t know the first thing about infants – and has zero interest in learning. But Margot’s post-partum depression has reached a dangerous peak. With the baby a sperm donor production and Margot’s mother Jean suffering from Parki
Published November 2018 by BookBaby (first published May 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Heads or Tails, please sign up.
Leslie Gordon Hi! Do you have an iPad, iPhone or computer? If so, you can download the (free) Kindle app to one of those devices and read it that way...

Start your review of Heads or Tails
Charlotte Lynn
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heads or Tails is a easy read, yet covers a not so easy topic. Post partum depression is not something that is talked about often. Leslie A. Gordon took this topic and gave it the attention it needs while still being considerate and understanding to those who suffer from it. It cannot be easy to want a baby and then once you have one not be able to care for it as it deserves. Then to have to choose who can take care of the baby for you, it has to be shattering.

While I did not know a lot of abou
Leslie Gordon
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Readers, I hope you like my latest book. I'm very excited about it and would love your feedback!
Maureen
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-ipad
I liked the story of this book. It was maybe a little too much in the head of the central character for me, but I was motivated to see what happened next!
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Hillary's best friend Margot has postpartum depression and Margot's mum has Parkinson's so cannot take care of Gretchen (Margot's baby). Margot says the only way she will go to the live-in treatment centre (where she is unable to take her baby) is if Hillary takes her baby and looks after her until she is better. The only problem is, Hillary is in no way mothering or wants anything to do with children! Read this book and join Hillary and her partner Jesse on their jou ...more
DJ Sakata
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
Favorite Quotes:

“At some point, we reach a place in life when we’re sure there will be no more surprises. The time is different for everyone, but the feeling – a settling, a resignation – is the same. We know everyone we’re going to know. We may encounter new clients or neighbors, the kinds of people who come and go, the kind that don’t last. But eventually, we come to understand that the old flame is not going to return decades later, and that no one truly revolutionary is going to cross our pa
Michele
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down

I loved this book for so many reasons: it was beautifully written, with no boring or lagging sections of the story. I loved how this wasn't a story about a woman not being complete without a child, but a self-discovery that didn't exclude the possibility. I loved how I was drawn in and immersed in the story and I won't soon forget it.
Star
In HEADS OR TAILS, Hillary’s best friend Margot has had the baby she always wanted and Hillary thinks everything is going well for her. However, it’s not until Margot’s mother, Jean, calls that Hillary finds out Margot has crippling postpartum depression. When Hillary flies out to New York to visit, Margot begs Hillary to take Gretchen back with her to San Francisco. This is something Hillary and Jesse, her husband, had never wanted. Gretchen’s arrival puts strain on Hillary and Jesse’s relation ...more
deltabear
Captivating read - loved it!

The setup is unusual - our heroine "Hilly" is healthy, with a business and career that feeds her passion and creativity, and a good husband who really does want her to be happy. When her best friend needs her help, Hilly hesitates only a little. What follows is a charming imaginative love story - on so many levels.

Author Leslie Gordon is a very strong writer, making the reader feel like she's actually climbing up and down the hills of San Francisco, rallying back and
Nancy Wilkinson
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book a lot. It was truly insightful about a number of things... First of all, it showed a clear yet optimistic picture of post partem depression. Secondly, it took a good look at how a good marriage can get stale, a tipping point that can lead in a number of different directions. But most importantly, it was a wonderful picture of how children change one. I have long said that folks without children never know what they are missing and this is a good illustration of that. Eve ...more
Kelli
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leslie Gordon has done it again with this second novel. I absolutely loved Heads or Tails from the moment I picked it up. I loved the storyline, the characters, the locale, everything. This book was far from predictable. I couldn't wait to get to the end to see where it would go. The characters were well developed and complex. I was often wondering, am I supposed to like this person or hate them? I love when a character leaves me guessing like that.
I couldn't put it down, because I needed to kno
MaryAnn
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fell in love with this story right from the very beginning. Yes, the basic premise of the book has been done many times before, but this was a fresh twist on it that kept me wondering what would happen next. It's funny what types of things can change people's mind and preconceived notions and there was a fair bit of that in this book.

The characters were likable, which means a lot to me as far as whether I'll enjoy a book or not. If you like light-hearted reads that aren't filled with graphic sex
Julie Simrock
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read about a couple who think they have their lives all figured out, yet find out they don't. I liked how the story unfolded really getting to know the main character. You follow her through self discovery and see her heart and mind open to a new mindset for the future. Great reality check of pre and post baby life! Also touches on the difficulty some mothers have with post partum depression. It didn't sugar coat it. Even though a little predictable, I was satisfied and happy with th ...more
Bronwyn
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, in-my-library
I loved this book. I read it in two days.
As a parent, you consider all the people in your life and wonder who would be best suited to take over guardianship of your kids if you die. As someone who has been fingered as potential guardian, you silently pray that the responsibility doesn't actually fall to you. While the situation in this book is slightly different, it did make me think about how I'd react in Hillary's shoes, in the beginning and in the end. We all have grand plans for our lives,
Carlin
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Excellent book. Believable story. I've had two friends who had post-partum psychosis, a serious malady that can put mother and child in extreme jeopardy and at the very least have a profound negative effect on bonding, especially when there is no one to fill that position. This book did an excellent job of dealing with the issue. It also showed how the child's needs can be met by some one other than the biological mother and in turn how that relationship can impact on the substitute caretakers.
B Ware
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book about a young married women who doesnt want kids, who is asked by her best friend's sick mothers to take he friends baby while ER friend gets treatment for post partum depression, this is totally out of her element and her husband, but at first they survive, then management then come to love the baby, a story of evolution of a partnership and revealing to grow to a point she never expected. Not contrived, but a change as the couple finds they weren't as set in their minds as they ...more
Debbie
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful & Insightful

I found out by having children myself that parenthood changes us from being self-centered to other-centered, but this author brings out the nuances of that change that I could not have formulated myself. It is a brilliantly captivating novel. I wish I inherently had the wisdom it provides to aid me in this journey through life, but I'll settle for reading the book and hoping some of it will trickle into my brain.
Brianne Whitley
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book with no expectations, but I ended up loving it. I couldn’t put it down! This was a good book that made you wonder what was going to happen, it also left you wanting more. I really enjoyed reading this book and would encourage you to read it as well. It’s not like anything else I’ve read and it was a pretty good book.
vickie
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just When you think you know yourself

You feel the apprehension Hilary has at the beginning of the book. The forced situation, with no where else to turn. I loved this story. It shows we rise above our own limitations and surprise even ourselves sometimes.
I have already recommended this book to friends and I know they will enjoy it too.
Cindy Meester
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pull of emotions best describes this book. There were times I had to stop as I was caught up in the story and worried about the outcome. It left me remembering all those sweet baby moments when my boys were babies. Of course those not so easy times have been erased by time. I listed this book with a smile and hope in my heart.
Pamela
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-reads
I liked it for a summer read. Not great literature but funny, informative- at times and easy to read in a day or two. I liked the lesson of we can and do change no matter what we think we know about ourselves-IF we are open to it!
Cindy Houston
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming read

Having children is such a blessing, and one of my hardest jobs! This story points out you can't make the decision through other's lives as parents, and we aren't our parents! We can become and evolve into the parent our child needs.
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I absolutely adored this book, I love the fact that Hillary & Jesse had decided that they did not want children, yet they were willing to take in GiGi for Margot, and the way in which GiGi affects their lives in such a short period of time, I love it! ...more
sallywoolly
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gordon really captures the complex emotions of her characters. The heart of friendship. The pain of loss. The bond of family.

How easily life choices can change one's direction. A very thoughtful read that I would heartily recommend to a friend for a relaxing read.
Marie
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are here to love

This book is very pleasant and filled with new discoveries for hilly the main character. I really loved how hilly reflects and makes peace with aspects of her past as she goes along.
Barbara
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever premise and reasonable character development (except for Hillary's relationship with Abe , which didn't work for me and didn't seem necessary); well-written, overall. A nice, easy, feel-good read.
Jeanne Abbott
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A look at post partum depression

Hilly has to come to the rescue of Margot and her baby when Margot suffers from post partum depression. An examination of maternal instinct and family relationships.
VIctoria Emlgh
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very insightful read about what people perceive about their own abilities

A very insightful read about what people perceive about their own abilities to do what is right for themselves and those that they love
KSS
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great novel by this author! Perfect summer read. Gripping story that kept me up late reading.
She is good at getting me wrapped up in a story. The characters felt so real!
Jamie
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprise of a good story. Author nails the continual changes and role expectations in marital relationships. Lots of good layers are presented and explored.
Kim
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shelter for Sophie (Badge of Honor: Texas Heroes, #8)
  • The Perfect Husband
  • The Kennedy Secret
  • Grady's Gift
  • Obsession
  • Issued to the Bride: One Airman (Brides of Chance Creek, #2)
  • The Room Beyond The Staircase
  • Her Devoted HERO (Black Dawn, #2)
  • Wicked Whiskey Love (The Whiskeys: Dark Knights at Peaceful Harbor, #4)
  • Hidden (CSI Reilly Steel. #3)
  • TAG
  • Paper Clouds
  • Red Clover
  • Anything for Love (The Bradens & Montgomerys [Pleasant Hill - Oak Falls], #2)
  • Gansett Island Series Boxed Set Books 1-3 (Gansett Island)
  • The Mermaid Garden
  • The French Gardener
  • Secrets of the Lighthouse
Erin Gordon is a Bay Area native who graduated from UC Berkeley and Loyola Law School. After practicing law for three years, she earned a master’s in journalism at Stanford University and worked several years as a newspaper beat reporter covering law firms. Erin then spent more than 20 years as a freelance legal affairs journalist, all the while dreaming of becoming a novelist.

She’s written six no

News & Interviews

“At some point, we reach a place in life when we’re sure there will be no more surprises. The timing is different for everyone, but the feeling — a settling, a resignation — is the same. We know everyone we’re going to know. We may encounter new clients or neighbors, the kinds of people who come and go, the kind that don’t last. But eventually, we come to understand that the old flame is not going to return decades later, that no one truly revolutionary is going to cross our paths. Our people are our people. And when we reach that point, we inherently grasp that no one new will change us. No one will shake the foundation of our identity or imperil our most cherished relationships. No one will force us to make unthinkable choices. No one will crease a comfortable life and fold it into a wholly new shape, like an origami crane.   And then someone does.” 0 likes