Start by marking “Ruby Finds a Worry” as Want to Read:
Ruby Finds a Worry

Ruby Finds a Worry

From the creator of Perfectly Norman comes a sensitive and reassuring story about what to do when a worry won't leave you alone.

Meet Ruby--a happy, curious, imaginative girl. But one day, she finds something unexpected: a Worry.

It's not such a big Worry, at first. But every day, it grows a little bigger . . . And a little bigger . . . Until eventually, the Worry is
Published September 3rd 2019 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published July 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Finds a Worry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby Finds a Worry

Start your review of Ruby Finds a Worry
Mischenko
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruby Finds a Worry is an excellent children's book that deals with anxiety. Ruby is a young child who develops a very small worry that slowly gets larger over time. It becomes so huge that it begins to overcrowd her happiness. At a park one day, she finds another child with a problem and feels compelled to speak to him. After talking with each other about their problems, they both begin to feel better.

My daughter and I both loved this book. It's such an important subject and will help children
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Tom Percival, the author and illustrator of Rubys Worry, taps in childrens emotional needs in his latest picture book, Rubys Worry. In todays busy world, young children are presenting with anxiety issues and are often unable to discuss their worries. Tom Percival has recognised this and has composed a childrens picture book that opens up the vital channels of communication around this sensitive subject area.

Rubys Worry is about a typical little girl, Ruby.
Julie Kirchner
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love that there are books popping up to normalize things that we struggle with, especially around the topic of mental health. These books are so important and necessary to help kids process their worries. This is a fantastic book.
Sabrina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I relate to Ruby hardcore. Growing up, I also used to think that I was the only one with these worries that wouldn't go away and I couldn't really talk about it because that just wasn't what you did.

I am loving all of the new children's books that deal with the topics of anxiety, depression, and just mental illness in general. Having books like this available will hopefully let the kids know that they aren't alone and that they can talk about the feelings they are having.
Rod Brown
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice art and story, even if the solution to worrying is super simplified, causing much scoffing from my wife who has spent a great portion of her life engaged in worries.

My tags: (view spoiler)
James
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice book, with laudible aims and with its heart in the right place. Unfortunately however, 'Ruby's Worry' is not quite what it aims to be - it's sadly not as insightful, affecting and effective as it aspires to be, a missed opportunity perhaps.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that Little Lisa really would have connected to.
Kris Dersch
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this. It's gentle, well-drawn, and I'd use it with a variety of ages. The worst thing to do with a worry...is worry about it and I love that Ruby finds her resolution in helping someone else. My anxious 5-year-old loved it.
Christina Reid
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will be useful in any primary classroom or library as it talks about how Ruby comes across a worry...and that worry begins to get bigger and bigger the more she tries to ignore it. Soon the worry gets so big that it is getting in the way of her sleeping or doing the things she loves - what could she do to make her worry go away?
I am planning to read this with my class and use it to spark a discussion about how worries won't go away if we just avoid them and ignore them, as
Maddie
One day Ruby gets a worry, and as time goes on the worry grows and grows until she can't focus on anything but the worry. Ruby thinks she's the only one with a worry until she meets she sees a boy at the park who also has a worry. And talking to him she discovers how to make her worry smaller.

For someone who struggles with anxiety and worries about things a lot, this book is such a great description of it. It does a great job of making it tangible and the imagery of the book is wonderful. I love
Sara
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like the angry eyebrows on the worry character.
Allison
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a chronic worrier, I love this story!
Beverly
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: pbf-emotions
The story never specifies exactly what she is worried about, just that her worry grows bigger and bigger, until...
Meg
I like the message overall, but if someone came and sat next to me on a bench and started telling me all of their problems I'm pretty sure that would just add to my worries.
Alex Simkin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suitable for 3-7 year olds. This story shows the personification/embodiment of 'worry' as an increasingly-massive blob-scribble as Ruby, a little girl, becomes increasingly concerned about an unstated worry. She doesn't tell anybody about her worry, so it just gets bigger and bigger, and she feels worse and worse, until she stumbles across someone else, who is also worried about something. They talk to each other, then their respective worries shrink and Ruby goes back to normal. The story is ...more
Richa Kedia
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply love the book especially the illustrations are so unique and stunning that I can keep looking at them. The colors used are brilliant. Also the story is simple and can be appreciated by all age groups.
Niamh
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Villain E
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is great. Though I would recommend reading it to your child when they're actively worried about something, not before. The child in the story has an unspecified worry. The feeling of being worried is very accurately described. Ultimately she finds that talking about it helps make it manageable.
JoEllen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adding Rubys Worry to my collection of titles that may help children address the reality of anxiety and fears that can be overwhelming. Similar to Jacks Worry and Small Things but helpful to discuss how to handle/get rid of fears- by talking about them. Great for morning meetings/responsive classrooms. ...more
Ellie Matthews
This picturebook would be perfect for addressing emotions in a KS1 classroom. The physical image of a worry and the feelings that Ruby has when it arrives perfectly address how children can deal with this emotion, whilst reminding them that it is something that everyone experiences.
Elizabeth Majka
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl finds a worry one day, and has to learn how to stop it from growing.
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent book about anxiety and emotions, and how to work through them. Highly recommend!
Claire Powles
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE IT TOM!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH
Julia Jackson
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruby Finds a Worry is about a young girl named Ruby who loves her life. She loves to play, explore, and do a lot more things. One day though Ruby finds a worry. Although she tries to ignore it, the worry grows bigger and bigger until it's all she can think about, and she begins to think that it will be there forever, which makes her sad. One day Ruby meets a boy who also has a worry, and together they learn all about worries.

The overall theme of this book is talking about your hidden concerns.
Barbara
Brightly-colored digital artwork complements a story that tackles a topic with which many readers will be familiar--worry. Like many of us, Ruby has a fairly calm and satisfying life. But one day, she stumbles upon a Worry, and things change for her. The Worry keeps growing and growing and threatens to take over her life, making it hard for her to enjoy anything. From a small, almost unnoticeable thing, the Worry overshadows everything, made even worse by her worrying. Fortunately for Ruby, she ...more
Air
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story for introducing the concept of worries, and the concepts of how to talk about this. The most important lesson in this book is also the one I think most of the world needs reminded of: The only way to get rid of a worry, is to talk about it. Worrying about a worry, just makes it bigger. Ruby had a nice and happy life and never had a worry until it suddenly showed up one day. She doesn't know why, or how to get rid of it, and feels like she is the only person in the world ...more
Lara
Ruby is adorable! And even her worry is! And I love that she's not white too.

Very similar to Me And My Fear, in that a little girl has a worry/fear which grows until she's not herself anymore. Eventually she find that someone else has one too, and it helps her learn how to cope with her own. So, not as original a plot (I'm sure these two aren't the only ones with this sort of story) but still a really good message. And yes, I'm speaking as someone who was that worrisome little kid myself.
Rachael Davis (Picture Book Perfect)
Ruby is perfectly happy until one day she finds a Worry at the end of her garden. The Worry follows her everywhere but no one else seems to be able to see it and even worse it is getting bigger! The Worry begins to stop Ruby from doing the things she loves and she becomes very unhappy. But when she stumbles across a boy at the park with a Worry of his own, she learns how to get rid of her Worry. A beautifully told and illustrated story with a simple but essential message at its core: a problem ...more
Desaray
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ruby Finds a Worry is a heart-warming story of a little girl who begins to have a worry. She does not know how to cope with this worry and spends the majority of the story keeping her worry to herself. It began to consume her life until she met a little boy who also has a worry following him around. The two of them realized that talking about their worries made it smaller and eventually go away!

The theme of this novel is mental health. It truly shows the importance of dealing with your feelings
Sara Magnafichi
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Thank you to Bloomsbury Children's Books for providing a copy of of Ruby Finds a Worry to #collabookation reading group!. Who wouldn't love little Ruby? Like other children, and honestly adults as well, she realizes that she has a worry that continues to grow as time goes on, which only causes her to worry more. She tries to ignore it. She doesn't tell anyone about it. One day she looks over and sees a boy who looks like they may have a worry as well. The lesson of the story is that when we talk ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Reading Beauty
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • I Wonder
  • The Proudest Blue
  • I Want a Dog
  • Saturday
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Just Because
  • Sweep
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • Who Wet My Pants?
Tom Percival writes and illustrates picture books (you know, for kids) as well as illustrating books written by other people. The most well known of these is probably the excellent Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

He grew up in a remote and beautiful part of South Shropshire. On reflection this seemed rather more remote than beautiful, owing to the fact that he lived in a small caravan

News & Interviews