Start by marking “Dark Blade” as Want to Read:
Dark Blade

Dark Blade

(Whispers of the Gods #1)

A sweeping epic fantasy perfect for fans of the Summoner trilogy by Taran Matharu and Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

WHEN GODS FAIL, WHO WILL KEEP THE DARKNESS OUT?

Lann knows nothing of his mysterious past, but by his fifteenth birthday he will come face to face with destiny. For Lann must wield the Dreadblade, an ancient sword forged to defeat terrible monsters.

Across th
Published July 11th 2019 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Dark Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Blade

Sebastien Castell
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I had the opportunity to read this upcoming YA fantasy novel pre-publication (one of the perks of being a fantasy author).

Dark Blade brings together loads of classic sword and sorcery adventure elements that I read voraciously as a kid. Full of nordic-style warriors and mages both daring and dastardly, with kings dying and conspiracies unfolding all around, I can imagine fans of Rick Riordan and John Flanagan enjoying themselves thoroughly.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
"We are leaves being blown around on the breath of gods.”

This is definitely a slightly younger YA, perfect for fans of Taran Matharu and Rick Riordan.

DARK BLADE feels very much like a stepping-stone fantasy, allowing younger readers to test the waters of the genre and then encouraging them to explore further. It combines the best aspects of traditional fantasy and I really enjoyed it. It’s got magical swords and smart warrior princesses and gods and it’s all pretty cool. I know it’s perfect for
ThatBookGal
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If someone ever asked me what would be a good introduction to High Fantasy, I would definitely recommend Dark Blade. It has all the elements, and the twists and turns of an epic fantasy series, without the massive underlying complexities. The chapters are also much shorter than a typical novel in this genre, which makes it a really friendly and gentle introduction to what to expect from other such books.

Lann's journey to discover his true identity and purpose was smooth. There were no lulls in
Paperbacks
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Blade is the first in a new fantasy series by Steve Feasey and what a strong start it is. I read Dark Blade in just 2 sittings as the world drew me in so completely. The story is constantly driving forward through short and cliffhanger style chapters that made me need to keep turning the pages.  I just had to find out what happened next. Whilst the opening chapters set the tone as high fantasy with it's prose, it soon becomes an easy read as I was fed only the information needed to progress ...more
No One
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unique and adventurous fantasy featuring a Witch, A farm boy wielding a deadly blade and a princess who is quick with a bow.

This was such a great book to read honestly the plot and characters were brilliant and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it. I just wished it was longer to make the fantasy more deep but I think the quick scenes and quick pace allows the reader to quickly enjoy a unique fantasy world without being bogged down with politics and fantasy names that are impossible
Latkins
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an engaging children's fantasy adventure featuring a warrior race and plenty of magic. As it's the first in a new series, I look forward to more adventures with Lannigon and Astrid.
Anna Jamieson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I read it as a proof copy and the fact that I was one of the first people to read it made me love it even more! The only reason I didn’t put 5 stars is because fantasy isn’t really my genre but I found this such a good book for a genre I don’t usually enjoy!
Anna
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
RTC!
Kesia
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Blade is a daring and exciting swords-and-sorcery fantasy - traditional in the very best sense of the word. I thoroughly enjoyed this classic tale of monsters, magic and swashbuckling adventure.
Tahlia
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/museofnyxma...

4.5/5 stars

*I was provided with a finished copy of this book by the publisher, in exchange for my honest opinion.

I think that this book is perfect for younger readers who have a thirst for epic fantasy adventures that are interesting, but aren’t overly complicated. Having said that, this story can be enjoyed by everyone, because it’s just a good story, that has likeable characters, a clear plot
Emma Spence-Hirst
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
(GIFTED) Thank you to Bloomsbury for providing me this arc in exchange for my honest Reveiw.
4.5 🌟

"Kurum-na Murt"
"And what does that mean boy?"
"Lann looked at the giant from beneath his eyebrows, a small smile playing at the edge of his mouth. 'Death is coming,' he replied."

This book was highly highly intriguing, and I was really captivated by it's storyline! It's an adventurous fantasy with younger characters who are experiencing who and what they can believe. Learning of the existence of cre
Kemy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5

Entertaining and enjoyable. But maybe a bit simplistic at times. The trials the protagonists faced, one after another,seemed to resolve themselves a bit to easily, leaving me with a sense of artificiality. I know it is destined to a younger audience, but still. The writing is lovely though and all in all it was a nice read.
Danni Jervis
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful adventure story reminiscent of Arthurian tales with a norse twist. Lan and Fleya have a similar dynamic to Merlin and Arthur but many of the gods and legends are clearly inspired by nordic mythology.
I look forward to seeing the next installment!
Trisha
Classic fantasy tropes for a younger YA, enthusiastic audience.
Georgi
Ryan Stribley
Karen Mann
Ocean Weeks
Mar 12, 2019
Steve Feasey was born in Watford, Hertfordshire, UK in 1968. From a modest background, he found escape in books, and spent much of his time in his local library. Always an avid reader, he only began writing in his late thirties, but was fortunate to land a publishing deal for his very first book, Changeling.