Start by marking “The Dragon Warrior” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Warrior

The Dragon Warrior

Inspired by Chinese mythology, this high-action middle-grade fantasy follows an outcast as she embarks on a quest to prove herself--perfect for fans of Aru Shah and the End of Time and The Serpent's Secret.

As a member of the Jade Society, twelve-year-old Faryn Liu dreams of honoring her family and the gods by becoming a warrior. But the Society has shunned Faryn and her br
Expected publication: October 15th 2019 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Warrior, please sign up.
Hannah Belyea The author has a "The Dragon Warrior 2" book in her list of works, so I assume this will become a series.

Katie Zhao
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Man am I glad I can count this to my GR challenge! I am so excited to share Faryn Liu's story with the world. Gods and demons and dragons, food and family and fun, all steeped in Chinese mythology and lore. This is a book that I would have devoured as a kid and I hope young Chinese (and non-Chinese!) readers will enjoy reading it and hopefully learning a thing or two about Chinese mythology.

Beyond the mythology, Faryn's story is a story about seeing people for who they are rather than what they
✩ Ashley ✩
OMG that cover!!! 😍 Now I’m even more excited (and I was stoked before!)!! 😆
Amélie Zhao
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm beyond THRILLED for this book to debut. I binged it over a flight and stayed up late into the night at my hotel reading this, and it was a rollercoaster filled with strong Chinese warrior protagonists, Chinese deities/gods and legends and myths and DRAGONS, set in a variety of Manhattan Chinatowns. The characters in it stole my heart with their stubborn and snarky personalities and their banter. And the humor, oh, the humor in this book is to DIE for. Guys, true story -- I literally woke up ...more
Aneeqah
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
I had the pleasure of reading an early draft of this book, and HOLY. WOW. You'll be sucked into this wonderful world from page one, and fall in love with this amazing crew of characters. You'll laugh one page, and cry the next. I love how intricately Katie explores family and Chinese culture, and how rich the mythology this book is. As a die-hard Rick Riordan fan, I don't comp books to him lightly, but seriously: if you grew up reading Rick Riordan books, you'll want to read this book IMMEDIATEL ...more
Divine Anas
Did you just say Percy Jackson vibes?????? And October???? Yup, my birth month will gonna be filled with diverse books that's for sure.
julianna ➹
look at that gorgeous cover!! this book is going to own my heart <3
Becca
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. Omg. Omg. THE DRAGON WARRIOR is such a gorgeous book that dives right into Chinese mythology set in our modern world. Katie is such a masterful writer and some of the big, emotional reveals in this made me audibly gasp. The world is lush, the characters jump off the page, and IT'S SO FUNNY. I'm not a person that laughs easily when I read--getting a snort out of me is pretty impressive. But this book had me laughing every chapter! Like, OUT LOUD! It's the only book I've ...more
Francesca Flores
I had the great pleasure of reading this book earlier this year, and even then, it was fantastic! I can't wait to re-read the final published version of this!

It has EVERYTHING - magic, adventure, strong family dynamics, hilarious jokes, food, a fantastic protagonist, heart-warming passages, and a story that keeps you glued to the page.

Apart from that, it's just extremely unique--a fantasy adventure based on Chinese deities, and spent racing through Chinatowns spread across the US? And with a mi
Alice
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: This is an OwnVoices review! But please note I'm not familiar with all the mythology present in this book. I also won this as an ARC from Katie Zhao's twitter giveaway :D Thank you to Katie for sending this my way <3

Overall 5/5 stars!
The Dragon Warrior is a delight through and through. This is the book I desperately needed when I was the characters' age! The humor is spot on and only gets better as you keep reading. I highly recommend this book, especially for Chinese diaspora readers.
Alyssa
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book for every little girl who read the Percy Jackson series and wanted to see herself as the hero of an amazing world. This is the book for girls with enormous hearts who believe love is more powerful than raw strength and physical attributes. This is the book for girls who have never seen themselves kick butt in middle grade books. This is the book Scholastic Book Fairs need to hand to every single middle grade reader in this country. This. Book.

It makes me laugh until I cry, and
Heather
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so lucky to be able to read THE DRAGON WARRIOR early! It was this perfect blend of heart and humor, with settings so well-described I could envision myself in each of the different Chinatowns or the center of the Jade Society’s compound. The story was rich with truths, showing how friendships crack and mend, how family bonds might be tested, and how doing the right thing isn’t always what you think it is. The adventure in this book swept me away in a golden chariot led by flying horses!!

An
Maria Hossain
Recommends it for: To all fans of Percy Jackson
I was one of the lucky few who got to read an early draft of this book and let's just say, you're not prepared for this.

This book, I began to read in the middle of a boring lecture and immediately, I said immediately, it sucked me inside its world. The description and the world building alone are splendidly done. I could imagine myself in the world. On top of that, Katie is a master of spinning emotions and surprising you with twists and turns just across the corner of the events. Also, she's s
Naseem
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends
A fun book that's the true spirit of a middle grade—you'll want to read THE DRAGON WARRIOR as soon as you can!!!

I'm so glad I got to read this book! The characters are charming, the adventure is fast-paced, and the whole thing was an utter delight to read. This is the beginning of a series that kids will absolutely love and would make a kick-butt Saturday morning cartoon. This is a book that will make even the most reluctant of readers dive straight in.

One thing that makes this book so remarkabl
Ryan Bada
Jan 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
1/8/19 - so i found a post on subtle asian traits (which i reacted to "sad") and the author posted a screenshot of her mom texting her job offerings because of her transition from her old job from accounting to being a full time author and i can't believe that i'm not adding her debut because of that but how i'm actually excited for this book. "percy jackson" meets "grace lin"?!? an instant add for me!
Pragati Chaudhari
I'm so very glad that this is happening! OMG!!

This book is so very good and I was literally a mess while I was reading it. Such amazing writing, such a phenomenal plot and awesome characters! This book is such a treat and I'm really, really, really happy that this is getting pubbed because Katie deserves this. And so much more!!
Claire Bartlett
I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG FOR A SEQUEL AFTER THAT ENDING. WHAAAAAAAT.

Faryn is a girl who lives with her brother and grandfather in Chinatown. The three of them are ridiculed outcasts, trying to keep their heads down. That becomes hard to do when Faryn is called to be the latest in a long and glorious line of supernatural warriors - and tasked with defending the Gods themselves. As Faryn and her brother race to find the island of the Gods, they get a chance to find out what happened
Ela Mishne
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a fantastic read, incredibly funny, fast-paced, and so much more!
Jen Vanderputten
This middle-grade book is such a fun read! A must-have for every library, both public and at home.
Quinn Sosna-Spear
If you or your kids liked Percy Jackson, then READ THIS!! Katie does such an amazing job of creating a modern, relatable story by blending fascinating mythology with a grounded, real-feeling narrative.

Ugh, and the characters. You fall in love with them. The protagonist (Faryn) is definitely my favorite. She's a strong female character who is guided by morals and will quickly jump into action--but she's also very funny and, at times, vulnerable. I don't want to talk too much about other character
Cass
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has: dragons, the best kid-jokes, hidden identities, and seriously WILD adventures inspired by Chinese and Chinese-diaspora experience. LOVE. I had the privilege of reading an early version of this book and can't to add this to my nightly reading with my 10 & 11-year-old kids! <3 It has a strong Rick Riordan vibe because of the mythology in a contemporary setting, but with Katie's own brand of wry humor that I love across all her writing.
Adam Gaylord
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to read an early draft of this gem of a book and it really is something special. Just read it. Seriously.
Danielle Tandjung
Lyla
Hoàng Duy
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2019
  • Tristan Strong Punches A Hole In The Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Bone Garden
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • My Fate According to the Butterfly
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood #1)
  • Speak the Ocean
  • Rise of the Dragon Moon
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Untitled #3 (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Castle of Lies