Start by marking “Finding Kindness” as Want to Read:
Finding Kindness

Finding Kindness

From New York Times-bestselling author Deborah Underwood comes Finding Kindness, a heartfelt picture book illustrated by Irene Chan.

Celebrate kindness in all its many forms. This is a powerful story of community, compassion, and generosity of spirit--perfect for sharing!

Kindness is sometimes a cup and a card, or a ladder, a truck, and a tree. A scritch and a cuddle. A rake
Published October 29th 2019 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Finding Kindness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Kindness

Start your review of Finding Kindness
Lisa Vegan
The illustrations are not in a style I love but they are fun. There are so many details and they do show a real sense of community and I did like that. I appreciate all the cats & dogs shown and all sorts of scenes that have appeal for children and grownups. The text sort of reminds me of the book A Friend is Someone Who Likes You, but I’m coming to it not for the first time as a six-year-old but someone well into adulthood and it felt a bit lacking to me. I think children will enjoy this ...more
KC
So many ways to be kind.
Karen Arendt
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gentle reminder that kindness is possible and comes in many different forms.
Jana
In a world where so many people seem angry and ready to be mean, it's awesome to have a book to share with young readers that celebrates all the ways people are nice to each other. When you take your eyes off of the news and away from your tablet or phone, you can see that there are lots of good people in our communities and we should follow their example. This could definitely generate a good conversation about all of the ways we can be kind and to look for the people that are helping their ...more
Richie Partington
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: FINDING KINDNESS by Deborah Underwood and Irene Chan, ill., Henry Holt/Godwin Books, October 2019, 32p., ISBN: 978-1-250-23789-7

“How can people be so heartless
How can people be so cruel
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold”
-- Galt MacDermot, James Rado, and Gerome Ragni (1969)

This week, I’ve been reading an “adult” book published a couple of years ago. THE COLOR OF LAW: A FORGOTTEN HISTORY OF HOW OUR GOVERNMENT SEGREGATED AMERICA is a couple of hundred pages of horrific, historic
Ian
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quiet, gentle, lovely, funny, happy, wise, and very very kind book. What more could you ask for?
Barbara
This picture book is a 3.5 for me. Many teachers share the book, Wonder, with their students as a read aloud or assign it as a book for discussion, and students often finish it with questions about what it means to "choose kind" or uncertain about how to behave in kind ways. They can find plenty of suggestions in this picture book. Starting with a girl at a window, the pages show other scenes throughout her neighborhood that demonstrate simple acts of kindness--a firefighter rescuing a cat, a ...more
Jenn
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-gifts
Love this book. Beautiful illustrations and diverse characters that show that kindness can be seen in the smallest of actions that make a big difference.
Lisa Momblanco
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great story by Deborah Underwood! The examples of kindness are simple and plentiful. They should give kids lots of good ideas about how to be kind. It shows how to be compassionate and makes the reader feel good.

The illustrator, Irene Chan, does a great job of inviting the reader in with the bright, vivid pictures. I loved the full page on its side to illustrate the large city!

Maria Marshall
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
What a tender, circular concept book on kindness. Where sometimes, all one needs is a cup and card to show compassion for another living being. The illustrations, featuring a diversity in race, age, ethnicity, and ability, carry the reader on a journey through a child's town demonstrating how everyone can show kindness, empathy, and compassion in big and little actions throughout their day. The gently rhyming text shows both small gestures (returning a dropped key, holding open door, or waiting ...more
Marcie
I love love love the poem but not so much the illustrations, but don't know why. Perhaps it would be fun for teachers to have kids make their own illustrations. Might like it best as a one on one read or bedtime talking about kindnesses encountered throughout a day. Can see some aspects of search and find in pointing out illustrations. Can't wait to hear other reactions and uses.

I've been reading Michelle Borba's Unselfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me Word
and always look for
Amy Layton
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
With Underwood's knack for optimism and Chan's colorful illustrations,Finding Kindness is an homage to helping others and remaining kind and open. There are lots of ways to be kind, it turns out--including doing a favor, sharing some food, and pushing someone on a swing. This is a great book to read aloud to a little one, and perfect for stirring up conversations about what we can do for others. Great for grades K-2, and awesome for those who want to read something similar to Todd Parr's ...more
Juliana Lee
The artwork brings the text to life with some unexpected interpretations of kindness. For example a bird feeder is both a seed container hanging from a tree and a person feeding the birds. The illustrations move seamlessly from one example to another by drawing attention to the preceding and forthcoming examples of kindness in the same picture, making kindness not just isolated incidents, but common everyday occurrences.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming book that captures lots of little ways to be nice (catching a bug and letting it go outside, filling a birdfeeder, taking a picture for someone, making room on a bench, etc). Sometimes I had to really examine the illustration to figure out what the kind action was that the text was referring to. Bright and happy illustrations and I like the way the beginning and ending lines framed everything.
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
5 stars

This picture book is such a great conversation starter! In this book, numerous examples of kindness are described throughout a city. Caregivers can read this book with young children and use it as a tool to discuss different ways to show kindness. It is a difficult concept for young people to understand. This book gives them real-life examples from which adults can explain how that character was made to feel happier. Well done!

- Miss Emily
Samantha Mairson
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fellow youth services librarians
What did everyone else make of the cup and the bug that open and close the book? I don't fully understand that piece of the story. Is it a symbol? What would the creators say about it?

Love the rhyming and the message about kindness. I also love that the story demands extra time and attention to the relationship between words and illustrations.
Sheri
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
One long sentence describing kindness around the neighborhood as adults and children show that they can do random acts of kindness for others. Big colorful illustrations and people helping people is the theme.
Kelly
This book is beautiful. I love the way the illustrations connect to each other. It made even more sense when even the text went around and connected. It's fun to see one person or dog in one picture and then that same character on the next page.
Zoe Smith
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very cute book that emphasizes the little things that we can do daily to be kind to others around us. This book also is very diverse in the characters and is representative of many different cultures.
SilverReader
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was just a nice read that any child can understand
Kayla
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely rhyming book about all the different ways to show kindness.
Angela
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
Delightful, rhyming picture book showing the many ways and places we can find kindness. It’s really the small gestures and actions that change people’s lives one moment at a time.
Susan Kennedy
Adding this book to my poetry mentor text and also persuasion.
Pam
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kindness comes in all sorts of formats. Underwood shows examples of these throughout the story. Simple to follow text for elementary readers. Brightly colored illustrations.
Haley Snell
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cute, heartfelt picture book that demonstrates and illustrates multiple acts of kindness. I think this would be appropriate for K-2nd graders.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade

Basically a list of kind things that people can do for one another. Nothing exceptional.
Wylaina
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rhyming.
Kristina Jean Lareau
The intent is great, but the execution falls flat. The pseudo rhymes make for a disconnected read with the rhythm begin too varied for a fluid read aloud.
Miss Sarah
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A preschool and up book about ways to be kind. Simple and easy to follow.
Kyle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet book showing many simple ways to spread kindness in our world. This is a wonderful read aloud book great for after reading discussions

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Saturday