Start by marking “The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy” as Want to Read:
The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy

The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Archaeologist? Mythmaker? Crook? This engaging, illustrated biography of Heinrich Schliemann — a nineteenth-century romantic who most believe did find the ancient city of Troy — reveals him to be a fascinating mixture of all three.

From the time Heinrich Schliemann was a boy — or so he said — he
knew he was destined to dig for lost cities and find buried treasure. And if Sc
Published July 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hero Schliemann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero Schliemann

Maria McGrath
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Heinrich Schliemann was a treasure-seeker out to make his own myth. Author Laura Amy Schlitz, a librarian and professional storyteller, says:
“When I began researching Schliemann’s life, I thought, What a story! And it was all true. Then I read more and discovered that some of it wasn’t true. My romantic hero was a mythmaker and a liar. At that point, I was really hooked . . .”
This book lays out such a fascinating life story that at times one wonders why Heinrich Schliemann didn’t just tell the
Rebecca Radnor
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-history
A children's textbook about the man who claimed to have found Troy and the science of archeology. It starts out as a normal children's book, and you get the distinct impression *cough* that the author doesn't have a high opinion of Schliemann; as in she starts out saying he was a massive lier and proceeds to pock holes into him at every opportunity. However, the author does this with a sort of perverse tongue in cheek cynicism that is kind of fun, and involves you in his story. What Schlitz does ...more
Teresa
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fascinating introduction to a very odd but historically important person--not your usual hero, but I think that's good for kids to see, that "heroes" can be flawed, make mistakes--even huge ones! Left me with lots of questions, with some funny gaps in details. Like: where did Schliemann build his "Palace of Troy" mansion*? But a biography for younger readers can only include so much. Love her analogy of ancient ruins as a big pile of laundry--apt and accessible for the intended audience. Anyway, ...more
Micah
The writing was nowhere near what I was hoping from this book. But, as we had run into tales of Schliemann and his finds throughout our History studies we just had to give it a try. I was disappointed, though the information was interesting and it was nice to have the story fleshed out. My son who is captivated by all things Greek, especially Troy, was on the edge of his seat the whole time. He was thrilled with each new connection Schliemann made. So, I would not call it a loss on the whole.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love the way Schlitz told the story of Heinrich Schliemann!
She told the truth about his dishonesty and did an excellent job of portraying him as the mixture of pompous millionaire and dedicated, passionate scholar that he was. I would have given this text a Newbery, as her writing style is delightful. I can't wait for her next book!
Caroline
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a great biography! I found it intriguing and interesting, a story of a pretentious and grating but successful adventurer. I love archaeology and this is a great tale of one of the famous minds behind the science.

I am in search of a good non-fiction (novel-style/length) for a read aloud this coming year, and this might come close.
Ubalstecha
Heinrich Schliemann is a controversial figure. Yes, he helped prove that the Odyssey and Iliad were based on fact, but he also destroyed thousands of years of the archaeological record of Troy by digging through its ruins. This book is a nice Junior level biography, showing both the good and the bad about the man. A must for any Grade 4 to 6 student studying Troy.
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I wish the illustrations were better and more abundant. Many are too small and there is no sense of grandeur. The story is interesting, but the concurrent telling of the false and true sides of things does not make for such an engaging read. There is too much interruption.
Alex DK
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52books-2013
Interesting biography. Read this book for history, as an extra to the archaeology chapter.
Clivemichael
a quick read, entertaining.I'm inspired to read more in depth coverage of the man
Carrie F.
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: w-mother
I think I read this. It was with my mother and I think it was in Spanish.
Michele
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2013
What a fascinating man. He sure gives a great case for why honesty is important if you are gonna try and make history.
Barbara Lovejoy
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I knew nothing about this story, and I found myself fascinated.
Lauren
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I actually liked this book a lot. It's a quick, light read, but very interesting and well told. It's made me curious about archeology and Homer as well. A good read for any age.
Susan Chapek
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Terrific. Entertaining as well as enlightening.
Lia
May 31, 2014
Mitzi Mcconville
Jun 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Laura Amy Schlitz is an American author of children's literature. She is a librarian and storyteller at The Park School in Brooklandville, Maryland.

She received the 2008 Newbery Medal for her children's book entitled Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village,[1] and the 2013 Newbery Honor for her children's book, Splendors and Glooms.[2] She also won the 2016 Scott O'Dell Award fo
More about Laura Amy Schlitz...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
    $14.99 $1.99