Start by marking “Vagrant Queen Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Vagrant Queen Vol. 1

Vagrant Queen Vol. 1

(Vagrant Queen #1-6)

Former child queen Elida was driven from her throne at age ten and forced to wander the galaxy, evading the revolutionary forces that wanted her dead. When an old frenemy claims to know the whereabouts of Elida’s long-lost mother, she is forced to return to her former kingdom and stage a rescue.
Published February 26th 2019 by Vault Comics (first published February 20th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Vagrant Queen Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vagrant Queen Vol. 1

Start your review of Vagrant Queen Vol. 1
Jane
2.5 stars rounded up to 3

Meh. This one was just okay for me. I loved the idea here -- Elida is a princess on the run after her monarchy is overthrown during a revolution. She survives by doing things that are perhaps not on the up and up.

Unfortunately, I struggled a bit to follow the story in the beginning. Between some confusing panels and a lack of backstory upfront, I got frustrated when I couldn't figure out what was going on. Once I did understand, I enjoyed it a bit more, but found some
Chad
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2019, 2019
This was a fun space opera, full of rogues and double crosses. It reminds me of something that would have appeared in Heavy Metal back in the day. It's the story of a exiled queen of a galactic empire on the run. She was queen as a child when the people overthrew the government. The whole setup and art reminds me of an indie comic from the 80's. It was great fun.

Received an advance copy from Vault Comics and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

actual rating: 3.5

This was a really fun read, although I feel like the plot got a bit ridiculous there towards the end. Still, Elida is a really cool protagonist and the art was very good for the most part [I loved most of the designs but for some reason hated the main villain's face lol]. I think this is a really neat short sci-fi story but not necessarily something to take too seriously.
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
This was fun read. I enjoyed the plot and the art. I enjoyed Elida as a character and was rooting for her the whole time. I was hoping for some things that didn’t happen. I hope to continue to find out what happens next.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an eARC.
Isaiah
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

I am not a huge sci-fi person, that is slowly changing. In the past few years I have actually found sci-fi books I enjoy. This just happens to be the newest addition to the list. I wanted to give it a chance, because the black female lead that in the promos looked like a super bad-ass. The story itself sounded like something I would read, so why not read it set in space?

The art is a bit off for me. There were times where the
Skirmish
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-comics
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2019...
Rating: 4.5 Stars – perfection is only half a step away

Thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review
Matt
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes all you need is a good space opera.
Etienne
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Even if this one wasn't for me I do see its potential for some reader. The artwork is a mixed of classical style and some more original stuff. The story itself is a mixed of humor and action, which is rarely my thing, with a bunch of clichés. If you don,t mind those, or like this style then go for it. But for me it wasn't a good read!
Wayne McCoy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Vagrant Queen Vol. 1' by Magdalene Visaggio with art by Jason Smith is a space opera about an exiled queen being hunted throughout the galaxy.

Elida is on the run and trying to stay free. As a child, she was driven from her kingdom and the whereabouts of her mother are unknown. When a bounty hunter/friend/antagonist finds her, he claims to know where Elida's mother is. He is also looking for Earth and his wife, which is a lever someone else has on him. This leads to betrayals and lost secrets.

I
Elizabeth
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a digital edition of this from the publisher as well as a copy from Netgalley. Thank you to both of them for giving me the opportunity to review this in exchange for my open and honest review.

This story isn’t Firefly, and it isn’t trying to be. But it has bits and pieces of what made Firefly so beloved. This story is a straight-up space opera complete with quipping protagonist and smart and scheming “second in command”(he isn’t second yet – but you get the vibe). I love stories like
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: 1/2 (maybe 4? Still deciding on a rating as I draft my review)
Vagrant Queen Vol. 1 is a FANTASTIC space opera filled with adventure and features a queen on the run! There's tons of action, space travel & politics, but really shines with its great lead Elida!
Black princess + space opera + lots of action + adventure! This was a great start to the series and I can't wait to see where its headed next!

This graphic novel was a lot of fun! I've read and been familiar with the
Paul Mirek
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've been following Visaggio's work off and on for a while now with mixed results. While both volumes of Kim & Kim and Quantum Teens Are Goleft me underwhelmed overall, her emphasis on portraying the trans experience seemed worth supporting in the ongoing culture wars against the C*m*csg*t* hordes. Vagrant Queen is more of the same when it comes to the '80s-(un)inspired genre rehashing that's all the rage these days, but there's also some seriously warped politics on display here that made ...more
Mel
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd read the first four parts as individual comics but failed to find the last two. So I was glad I could get a copy of the graphic novel. It was a fun scifi adventure. There were odd aliens, a guy transported from Earth, and a queen on the run! There was also a LOT of killing. I really enjoyed this. But then I love everything that Mags writes.
Kaitlin
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I am a huge sci-fi nerd so I had to read this graphic novel about a queen on the run after a revolution overthrew her monarchy. I really enjoyed the space travel in this and the glimpses into Elida's childhood as a child Queen. I didn't like this as much as I wanted to, perhaps because I would have liked her to regain what was rightfully hers. After seeing a flashback where she questioned the way that the empire worked, I thought maybe she could make a difference if she can just make decisions ...more
Courtney Rose
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Vagrant Queen follows former child queen Elida, who was driven from her home due to a rebellion/revolution and has been traveling around ever since. She is confronted by an old friend/enemy/bounty hunter who claims to know the location of her mother, only to drive her into a trap. Allies change from friends to enemies a few times, there's action and adventure all with the backdrop of a very science fiction world.

This was okay. I enjoyed Elida as a character but I really struggled with keeping
Liz (Quirky Cat)
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Vagrant Queen Vol. 1 through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I originally wanted to read this series for a few reasons. One; I loved the cover and art style. Two; I adore space opera, and can’t get enough of it. Especially when it comes in graphic novel form. And three; I really liked the concept of this series.
On the whole I’m pretty happy with what I read here. It’s one of the more solid space opera graphic novels out there, which I feel like is
Travis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
Vagrant Queen is a fairly standard space opera from the 1980s. There's plenty of sci-fi tropes to enjoy. We might have seen this type of story before but it still has it's own voice.

I liked the French Revolution parallels in the political story. I see more of that than modern politics but apparently other reviewers think otherwise. Regardless, the fourth issue provides plenty of backstory, so if things don't fall into place until then don't feel bad.

The bad guys is classically evil, complete
Jasmine
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC copy of Vagrant Queen by Magdalene Visaggio in exchange for an honest and fair review.

Rating: 4 stars

I am fairly new to the world of graphic novels.

However, I throughly enjoyed this!This story follows a girl named Elida (who is a major bad ass female lead not to mention a POC, which I love!). Elida comes from a royal family who was overthrown when she was only a child. The story follows her in her later years of life as she travels from galaxy to galaxy. She has been
Raven Terry
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
So, first thanks to Netgalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review. There is so much to say, yet words escape me. I did love the artwork, it's amazing, I love the usage of the colors and I appreciate the complexity of some of the scenes. Some of the speech is a little corny but I suppose that was the point, however, it doesn't really fit into the realm of "purposely corny", more so "awkward writing corny". I cringed a couple times, and overall wouldn't purchase for our library ...more
Theediscerning
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
There's little that's really new in this space opera, but more than enough character to make it worth considering. The last member of the royal family is being hunted down, which shouldn't be a hard task – she's stuck with the help and hindrance of a sad sack chancer with Han Solo aspirations. Vivid illustrations, a reasonable narration that successfully dips in and out of flashback, some scenes of ultra-violence and gore, and you have a decent, fun title. Worth a look, and a strong 3.5 stars.
Sesana
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the concept, a deposed queen who's happy to be deposed, in spaaaace. And it is fun, but I feel like it could be better. I think it's the pacing that could use more work. It's both a little slow to start, with a lot of things getting introduced on the fly (like, one character is apparently stranded in this fictional galaxy from another one, and that's just sort of a thing that's background information) and the ending is really rushed. Six issues may not have been enough for this story.
Théo M.
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, graphic-novels

I received this advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

This was such a great graphic novel experience. Personally, I loved the art style. The story itself was entertaining as well. I'm not particularly into "sci-fi" but I did I really liked this story. I only wish the ending was a bit more satisfying, but I am eager to see a sequel of this. I would definitely recommend it.
Sierra Dean
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This story, with lots of Firefly vibes, is a fun one that I'm looking forward to seeing as a TV show. In the available (only?) volume, the plot does feel very sped up and I'm not sure the conclusion felt earned in such a short period of time. Still a fun read, and loved that the ship was called the Winnipeg.
Erik Anderson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This volume of Vagrant Queen is a fun, exciting graphic novel. The characters and world are complex and interesting. The story is self contained, which I tend to prefer. The artwork is a bit simpler than I tend to go for, but was incredibly effective at conveying action and emotion, and the use of color is excellent.
Natalia
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, I really enjoyed this. This was a nice spin on the long-lost and exiled royal theme and the French Revolution. I liked that the characters were morally grey and that the villain has a strong personal motive. I’m looking forward to the sequel.
dogunderwater
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, comics
The story was a fun space romp but the art struggled the first couple issues.
meg
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really fun space opera with an excellent protagonist.
Elia
A fun one-shot graphic novel about a child queen, a Canadian pilot trapped in the wrong galaxy and a magical kidney stone with mind-control powers.
Emma Johnson
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Space politics are my least favorite thing but they are woven into the plot seamlessly here and that’s why Visaggio is the best comic writer working today.
Danielle (reading)
I really liked this graphic novel. I thought the story was interesting and kept me entertained throughout the whole story. Elida is a total badass and I absolutely love her! Also, although Isaac turned out to be (sort of) against Elida I still found there banter back and forth really funny.

I think Jason Smith's illustrations are awesome and Harry Saxon's coloring is phenomenal. The illustrations and coloring went really well with the space theme of the story.

• Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1: The Case of the Girl Who Took Her Shampoo (But Left her Mini)
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • Fleabag: The Special Edition
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
  • Onibi : Carnets du Japon invisible
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Le Royaume d'Azur (Aristophania, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 6
Magdalene Visaggio is a comics writer and essayist. She's the writer and creator of the GLAAD and Eisner-nominated series Kim & Kim, as well as Eternity Girl at DC Comics. She currently resides in Manhattan.

Vagrant Queen (7 books)