Start by marking “Delicates (Sheets, #2)” as Want to Read:
Delicates (Sheets, #2)

Delicates

(Sheets #2)

Following the events of the bestselling graphic novel, Sheets, Delicates brings Brenna Thummler’s beloved characters, artwork, and charm back to life.

Marjorie Glatt’s life hasn’t been the same ever since she discovered a group of ghosts hiding in her family’s laundromat. Wendell, who died young and now must wander Earth as a ghost with nothing more than a sheet for a body,
Published March 16th 2021 by Lion Forge/Caracal

Start your review of Delicates (Sheets, #2)
Tina
This is a Middle Grade Graphic Novel, and this is the second book in the Sheets series. I have read and review the first book in this series before picking this book up. I love this book so much more then Sheets, but I also really enjoy Sheets. This one does not have the pacing issue that Sheets had. This book pacing was perfect, and this stories build up has you read it. I loved the characters in this book, and the message in this book is so important. I really loved the message in this book, a ...more
Alexander Peterhans
Delicates is the sequel to Sheets, which I have not read. I had no problem reading this, however, the book quickly brought me up to speed - mainly that Marjorie, a schoolgirl, found out her parents' laundromat is hiding a large group of ghosts, who manifest themselves by wearing one of the cleaned sheets (ghosts classic style). One of the ghosts, Wendell, died at a young age, and he has a special friendship with Marjorie.

This book focuses more on another girl in Marjorie's class, Eliza, who is a
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
I didn’t love this as much as Sheets due to the fact that we hardly had any time with Wendell, but the art and color schemes still blows me away with each passing page.
I’m forever in awe of Brenna’s style and attention to detail in each panel.
Melki
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Everyone has ghosts. I think we all need to learn that there's no shame in letting them out.

Thummler is back with a fine followup to her 2018 graphic novel Sheets. Marjorie is growing up, and finding new friends to hang with, and her old pal, Wendell, is really missing her. It's rough being a ghost when your best friend would rather spend her time with the living. This go-round is just as enjoyable as the last, with new characters, and an important lesson about bullying.

description

*A big thank you to Netga
B | crumbledpages
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
i enjoyed this book so much more than the first book. the illustrations are super gorgeous and breathtaking! i loved the lessons that the author tried to teach in this story, i.e, it's okay to be weird as long as we are true to ourselves, it's NOT okay to bully someone, and it's okay to follow your passion even if it means photographing ghosts. ...more
Fanna
A heart-touching story captured amidst a mildly haunting premise of a young girl — Marjorie — beginning middle-school with a bunch of her ghost friends in tow and another, quite odd but endearing, girl — Eliza — trying to capture ghosts through her photography passion. Continuing down the path of the first book, Sheets: where Marjorie is grieving the loss of her mother and trying to save her family's laundry business, with the help of a young boy's ghost, from a man who wishes to set up a hotel ...more
Emma
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm so glad I got the chance to read this graphic novel.
It's the sequel to Sheets and even though you can completely understand the story without needing the first book, I still recommend you do read so that you can grasp what is going on with the ghosts at Marjorie's family laundry business.

I felt like in this book Marjorie was taking on even more responsibilities and her father was no help, e
menna
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-releases, arcs
Im once again in absolute awe from how gorgeous this art is!!! It’s so pretty with breathtaking colors and I love it so much!!!

I thought this book was so much heavier than the first one. While it did have it’s wholesome moments, (wendel is simply the cutest ever), the majority was focused on Eliza, one of Marjorie's classmates as she deals with being bullied in school for believing in ghosts.

I really loved the story overall and the messages it conveyed and i'm really hoping there will be a thi
San
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so delighted that I had opportunity to read another book in Sheets series! And I have to say that I liked sequel even more than the first one which is kind unusual for me. For me story in this book was more emotional than in the first one as it describe even more deep topics - in first book we had a story about dealing with lost of someone close and in second one centers on bulling and feeling like a ghost around others.
In this graphic novel we continue to follow Marjorie's story and we get
Mads
Apr 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
⚠️TW: ableism⚠️

i really enjoyed the first book. this one? no.

note to people everywhere; stop using the word ‘spaz’. stop writing it. just stop. that word made my primary school experience a nightmare because i have uncontrollable muscle spasms (they were much more often when i was 5-10 years old than they are now that i’m 18, but i do still have them) which meant i was regularly called that by my classmates. i don’t care if it the person who used that word in this book was the bully that we’re s
Rebeca
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, arcs
** TRIGGER WARNINGS: BULLYING, DEPRESSION, RACISM, MENTION OF SUICIDE **

What a beautifully illustrated story.

Delicates navigates sensitive topics with tact and discernment, carefully stringed together and brought to life through the lives of Marjorie, Wendell and Eliza.

Too bad this is the last installment, I would've really love to keeping coming back to this universe with the ghost on the Human World.

thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in excha
Rod Brown
How do you follow up a book about death and grief? How about bullying and suicidal thoughts?

There's a higher proportion of heavy stuff in this sequel's slow and melancholy slice-of-life take on eighth grade, but it does still have a friendly ghost wandering around in the background generating "awwws" like a neglected puppy. Main character Marjorie Glatt is a bit frustrating to follow as she meanders about and slowly learns some lessons, but I did like getting to know new kid Eliza Duncan.
Lauren
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wow - this graphic novel was a lot darker than I expected and packed a massive emotional punch. I was in tears at about 85-90% of the way through (if you've already read this, you'll know what I'm referring to). TWs: bullying, mention of suicide, loss of parent (mentioned), racism.

Delicates follows the same MC Marjorie Glatt whose Laundromat is the hang-out/residence for ghosts (including the beloved Wendell) <3 and in this book we see her not as the bullied but as one allowing bullying
Hilda
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Life is a precious thing, dearie.
It has skin that can feel.
And feet that can dance.
And hearts that can love and be loved.
And are loved, sweetheart.

There is so much heart in this comics. Probably because it talks about death and life and teens going through very hard moments in life. This follows Marjorie who in book one meets Wendell, a ghost. I was in the minority while reading book one, I liked it enough, but didn't love it. This time around I was reading as fast as I could and devoured it in
Sofia
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

This mistake happens to me too many times, only upon picking up the book I received from Netgalley do I realize it’s a sequel. But thankfully this one can be read as a sequel.

I don’t read many graphic novels but this was such a good one. The illustrations were so cute and lovely and the whole story was very heartwarming and wholesome.

It is a story about Marjorie, who has just started 8th grade and is a newly member of a clique. But, no one knows there is a
Vanessa Menezes
An awesomazing sequel to Sheets!

In fact, it’s even better than Sheets. Beautiful artwork. And it has an interesting but meaningful plot with excellent coverage of some the most important issues that teenagers face such as bullying, suicidal thoughts and also the importance of standing up for one’s friends.

Overall, I just loved it. Highly Recommended!

Thank You to NetGalley and Oni Press for this ARC!
Sara
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was wonderful in every way, the author has done an incredible job of conveying such powerful emotions and telling such an important story.
Jessica
Jun 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
What happens after you make friends with the ghosts who live in your laundromat? What happens when you make friends with the kids who used to bully you? What do you do when you see them bullying someone else?

I was pleased to see that Marjorie and Wendell were back! I do wish there had been more Wendell in the beginning, and that Mr. Duncan hadn't been trying so hard to be the "cool teacher" that he was neglecting his own daughter. I love the pastel art and style of these books, it's so unusual.
Scottsdale Public Library
Will this graphic novel make an adult woman cry? Why yes, yes it will.
I absolutely adored this title just as much as the first book in the series, Sheets. Brenna Thummler has such a unique illustration style, and her color scheme transports you back to the 1990s where the story takes place.
Marjorie, the main protagonist, has even more character development from the first book and really grows. I loved the character Eliza, a new addition to the story, who is obsessed with ghosts and paranormal
Cass
Thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for providing a copy of the ebook in exchange for an honest review.

★★★★★

Can you please keep letting the world see you?

What an absolute delight. Brenna Thummler has somehow managed to improve her storytelling ability in this sequel to Sheets, which is no easy feat. Marjorie and Wendell are as adorable as ever (seriously, how is Wendell the cutest thing ever drawn when he's just a simple sheet ghost?), but it's new character Eliza who shines brightest here.

I te
Schizanthus Nerd
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
You never know what’s going on inside someone else’s head - how they’re hurting - even if you put the hurt there yourself.
Marjorie, who felt like a ghost in Sheets, has recently started the eighth grade. In order to fit in, she hides who she really is from her new friends. Marjorie and her family are, each in their own ways, grieving the death of her mother.

Eliza is an outcast who is repeating the eighth grade.
“Sometimes I feel like a ghost, but maybe a ghost in the wrong place, you know?”
Stay Fetters
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
"Ghosts and I have that in common. We come alive in the dark."

Sheets was an unexpected story that hit me right in my heart and soul. I adored it so much that I made some of my friends read it too. It was one that I’ll never forget in my lifetime.

I instantly jumped at the chance to read the sequel to a graphic novel that had an impact on my life. I was expecting that same kind of look and feel as the first one. One where we grow and learn as we go on with our lives. We do get that here but it was
Lexi
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Netgalley and the published for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchanged for an honest review.

Delicates was such a great sequel! I was intrigued by the characters in Sheets, and Delicates really brought them to life (yes, even the ghosts). The introduction of Eliza added a new layer to this story, to Marjorie, to Wendell that I didn’t expect. She really brought more awareness and depth to their lives, to the story in general and even to my love for this graphic novel seri
Madara
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brenna Thummler's art is wonderful! Pastel pink and lilac. But her stories are hard hitting and sad. Both Sheets and Delicates deal with friendship, grief, bullying, and suicidal thoughts... I love that the ghosts are the ones helping humans to pick up the pieces and slowly heal.
I really enjoyed reading both Sheets and Delicates. That being said - Delicates seemed to hit me harder.

Review copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Mia
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my heart! I absolutely loved this graphic novel! All. The. Feels. Marjorie runs with a clique that is not so kind. Hurt people hurt people is something I like to remember. Eliza is an amazing young girl who is passionate about photography and the paranormal. She doesn’t quite fit in at school. She tries to make connections but is just turned away. She and Marjorie find themselves with a mutual friend and unlikely hero. A story of compassion, empathy, forgiveness....be true to yourself and sta ...more
Isaiah
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

Can you imagine a book that seems to be about sheet ghosts actually being about something so emotionally gut punching that you feel hollow after you finish it? I doubted, despite reading the first book.

This book made my body hurt. I understood so intensely what one character was feeling that I felt sick at one point. Her pain is so palpable. Being bullied most of my life, but pretending it was fine to be alone is something t
Melinda
So for the sake of transparency, let it be known that I cried while reading a middle grade graphic novel.

Unaware that this was a sequel, I was thrown into this story and the characters without the background knowledge from Sheets. Despite this, my enjoyment wasn't lessoned and I look forward to reading Delicates' predecessor.

Delicates follows Marjorie, who is navigating grief, tricky eighth grade friendships and an entire family of ghosts living in her family's laundromat. Fellow eighth grader a
Manon the Malicious
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
*4.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

In Delicates, sequel to Sheets, we find Marjorie in a better place, albeit not a good one. She's not sure she fits in with her "friend" group and doesn't know where she stands with any of them. Thankfully, she still has her ghost friends at home but that's not so easy either when they are no so content since she's not home as much.
Eliza is not feeling great either. She's always been lonely, her schoolmates regularly
Creya
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-fuck-yeahs
Thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for providing a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

While Sheets was a bit jumbled and confusing, the message of Delicates was crystal clear. Thummler handles difficult topics like bullying and suicidal ideations with sophistication. This is a truly important read for any young person who is struggling or feeling like a ghost. The graphics were marvelous once again! I'm so happy I went on to read book two.
Gabriela Pop
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another phenomenal title from Brenna Thummler, only further establishing her place as one of the greatest writers and illustrators out there at the moment. Much like the first installment in the series, DELICATES tenderly explores the many ways there are to be lonely and the impact finding the right person may have. Furthermore, this graphic novel attempts to get at the heart of the ways people may let themselves down once the world has done them wrong one too many times, as well as the ways to ...more

• Claudia and Mean Janine
  • The Truth About Stacey
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day
  • Martian Ghost Centaur
  • The Sprite and the Gardener
  • Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1
  • Star⇄Crossed!!, Vol. 1
  • Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)
  • Find Me (Inland Empire #1)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • Beastars, Vol. 1 (Beastars, #1)
  • The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • Love From A to Z
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Smile (Smile, #1)
  • Death by Dumpling (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Almost American Girl
Brenna Thummler grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, where she developed a great love for nature trails, peanut butter, and, above all, drawing. A graduate of Ringling College of Art and Design, she was named the Society of Illustrators Zankel Scholar during her junior year. Since graduation, she has done editorial and advertising work for such clients as the New York Times, the Washington Post, ...more

Sheets (2 books)